• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football/Fútbol/Fussball/Calcio Thread 2011/12 |OT3| Not as good as the Pig & Whistle

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulLFC

2v0ld2c.jpg

A few games into the season, it's already time for OT3...

Thanks to CaramaC and elseanio for the awesome banner and league graphics respectively :)

What will happen?
- Will Villas Boas be a success at Chelsea?
- Will Sneijder/Modric/Nasri/Fabregas actually move clubs?
- Will Liverpool's strategy of spending big on British players pay off?
- How ambitious will Venky's be approaching the new season with Blackburn?
- Will John Henry still administer verbal beatdowns to anyone who's deserving of them?
- How will Torres fare at Chelsea this season?
- Is the recent instability over for Aston Villa?
- Who will emerge victorious from the Real v Barca battle?
- Will a French village team attempt to sign Messi again?
- Can Dortmund continue their fantastic form from last season?
- How will Porto cope this season without AVB in charge?
- Will FIFA stick to their guns over the Qatar world cup situation?
- Will Man City still have the best website in the known universe?
- Will Gunnersaurus make his Premier League debut?

The Leagues (click a team to visit their website)

UdCoe.jpg

b3c9Q.jpg

WntAL.jpg

ZgtUO.jpg

ywjDv.jpg

CFT4I.jpg

MiCTU.jpg

pfu9D.jpg

sWQdB.jpg

wgtEA.jpg

aY2vb.png

4w9QK.jpg

PIbvg.png
Eredivisie - Table | Last season's top 4: Ajax, FC Twente, PSV Eindhoven, AZ Alkmaar
U5fx3.png
Ligue 1 - Table | Last season's top 4: Lille, Marseille, Lyon, PSG
u5HA1.png
Liga ZON Sagres - Table | Last season's top 4: FC Porto, Benfica, Sporting Lisbon, Sporting Braga
fXmQ4.png
MLS - Table | Last season's top 4: LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, Red Bull New York, FC Dallas
03cby.png
Clydesdale Bank Premier League - Table | Last season's top 4: Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Dundee United

GAFfers' Clubs - which team is the best supported on GAF?
AC Milan - dschalter
Ajax - Arjen, Wessiej
Arsenal - Boozeroony, colonisation, DangerousMali, DOBERMAN INC, Judderman, Kweh, Lightning, Meus, omgkitty, pix, Plasma
Aston Villa - Awesome Animals, rodvik, Wes
Barcelona - Messi, OriginalThinking, Verano
Bayern - Blablurn, elsk, Hasphat'sAnts, Hieberrr, Nemic77, spidye
Benfica - DyonPT, rvy
Besiktas - besiktas1
Blackburn - Jeff Albertson
Borussia Dortmund - Phantast2k
Celtic - Sage00
Chelsea - flintstryker, Gaaraz, GQman2121, Help Me!, JWong, Kylehimself, SenorDingDong, steverulez, xintin
Club Deportivo Guadalajara - Regulus Tera
Copenhagen - BatmanBatmanBatman
Corinthians - seabee
Everton - faridmon, sazabirules, Temrer
Fenerbahce - UV-6
Fulham - xbhaskarx
Juventus - Charles, Shake Appeal, Smeghead, Yurt, Zabojnik
Leeds United - amitaiwinehouse
Liverpool - Arnie, ATF487, bjaelke, bonesmccoy, CaramaC, Cerebral Assassin, danwarb, Dark Machine, Darth Sonik, DJmizuhara, elseanio, Feorax, Fry8, FuturusX, jamieson87, K444WSR, labadal, Mastadon, MarshMellow96, odd_morsel, operon, PaulLFC, Seep, severin, Shogun PaiN, Skoptsie, sohois, Vard, Yenrot
Malaga - tolkir
Man City - BattleMedic, confuziz, dc89, Kermit the Dog, Manager
Man Utd - BLSwagger10, blurrygil, Brinbe, Cyport, Desmond, DominoKid, Dynoro, elfinke, fahatzara, Fëanor, Grover Cleveland, Jburton, K1LLER7, kharma45, KidA Seven, LabouredSubterfuge, magnificent83, pappe, Requiem, Salazar, Slizz, Stubo, Tim the Wiz, Wilbury, WJD, yella
Newcastle - Carbonox_Ratchet, Chriswok, JesusTom, Keio, offshore
New York Red Bulls - Judderman
Olympiakos - gate777
Palermo - Joe
Porto - Letters, RaGe_pt, tonitoni
Real Madrid - Anastacio, MPW, Noirulus, Spanish Wrath
QPR - Polari
Sheffield Wednesday - Mat C
Sporting CP - BLSwagger10
Sunderland - HixxSAFC, madmackem
Tottenham - Bungieware, Clydefrog, near, Scum, Ushojax, zomgbbqftw

Let me know your team and I'll add you to the list.

GIFs

vi6nm.gif
d9C6J.gif
FUYwW.gif
fergiexn5w.gif

ferguson-balloon2w2p.gif
351czv6w4dx.gif
messiclfinalu11o.gif
mick-mccarthynu4m.gif
Tqh9i.gif

tumblr_legiv23SUp1qdxoeq.gif
20zrbwlchwd.gif

Videos
This Is Football
Goals of 2010/2011
A Life for a Goal - The Ultimate Ronaldo movie - Fantastic 41-part, 6 hour film about Il Fenomeno

General Information / FAQs
Football - Wikipedia
Statto - League tables as they were at a chosen time of the season, plus form tables, goals etc
Who Scored? - Live match statistics plus stats archive

Q. I'm looking to get more into watching football. Which team should I support?
A. The simple answer is, support whoever you want. But crucially, pick a team and stick with them, through the good times and the bad. If you change allegiances as soon as your chosen team has a bit of a hard time, you won't experience what it's truly like to be a fan. Besides, it just makes the good times all the better.

Q. Are there any matches being played today? / When is [X] game and is it on TV?
Check Live Football on TV for a list of upcoming matches. Note that the channels shown are mostly UK channels, but once you know the time of the game, you can check to see if it's being shown on local TV.

Blogs you may be interested in
The Swiss Ramble
The andersred Blog
The Football Ramble Blog
Said & Done (returning in time for the new season)

GAF's Fantasy Premier League - How to join
- Go to the Fantasy Premier League website
- Register, or log in if you already have an account
- Pick your team - you have £100 million total to spend. You can change your team up until a day or two before the season kicks off.
- Click on "Leagues" at the top of the page, then "Join League"
- Choose "Private league" and click Next
- Quote this post for the join code, which you will find inside the email tag right here:

NEW! GAF's Fantasy UEFA Champions League... leagues
- Go to http://en.uclfantasy.uefa.com/ to sign up
- Create your team - again, you have £100 million to spend in total.
- Click on "Leagues" and then "Join League"
- Quote to see the league join codes, one for the classic league, and one for the head to head league:

Bring on the rest of the new season!

Clegg

Great OT Paul. No more Soccer in the title fuck yeah.

If you can find it you should put a gif of the Torres miss in the OT for the lulz.

PaulLFC

xbhaskarx said:
Soccer removed from the title, discriminating against Americans on a US-based forum....
Discriminating... really?! If my sarcasm detector isn't broken... then just because it was removed from the title doesn't mean you're not allowed to refer to it as soccer if you wish.

We go through threads like they're going out of fashion.

Edit: Now that Torres has scored some goals and got a three match ban. Can we get a gif of him scoring in the OP so we remember what it actually looks like, now he's gone for 3 matches.

Yen

Vivalaraza said:
And then we should just go from football to "EPL"..
My reckoning was there would be more room for funny things in the thread title.
Plus I have never seen anyone call what we're discussing in this thread "fussball" or "calcio" (apart from when people whinged to get it in)
It's not a big deal anyway.

Carbonox

Oh and add me to Newcastle United fans. Criminally ignored around these parts we are! :p Chriswok and offshore are also Magpie fans.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
anyone watch punto pelota? love it, it's refreshing to see hilariously biased journalists going at each other. Plus Irene Junquera is ridiculously hot.

l.jpg

:drool

Yen

Mastadon said:
Fantastic title! The GIFs on the first page destroy my iPhone though :<
Use the web app and turn images off. You are then given a button to click to show images.

Fady K

Sorry guys, excuse me for doing this, I had to respond :p I'll try to keep em shorter from here on out :p

Kylehimself said:
Everton away. Well it was real while it lasted... But really, we can win it, Everton are a bogey side of ours though.

Hmm..well in comparison to the last time we played them, we have improved quite a bit ;) So here's hoping for a better game!

Clegg said:
Torres gets a 3 match ban because he received a straight red card.

He deserves it for being an idiot and tackling with 2 feet.

He was being an idiot unfortunately. I just did not know that red cards equate to 3 match bans all the time. Whatever happened to one match bans :[

Kylehimself said:
At the time I didn't think Torres made any contact with the player and the guys on Match of the Day seem to think the same. To be fair to the Mike Dean, from his position seeing Torres go in how did, and seeing the Swansea player fall to the ground holding his shin, he had no real option other to send him off. Two things on that, 1) Torres shouldn't of went in with two feet. Fair enough, from my point of view he made no contact, or at least very minimal. But he shouldn't have done it because you're asking for trouble. 2) If no contact was made, then it bugs me that the Swansea player falls to the ground holding his leg giving it his best theatrics.

I'm not 100% on the rules so I can't say for sure, maybe a two footer regardless of what happens is a red, perhaps not. But for me personally, I think every tackle should be assessed on its own merit. The notion that two footed tackles are more dangerous only stands, in my opinion, if the tackle is a big buster of a challenge. Torres's tackle, for my money, was not. A yellow would be fine. But as I said above, perhaps from the refs point of veiw it looked worse.

As for Deans overall refereeing performance. I think he was overly harsh. The yellow for Mata was a nonsense booking and there was another for one of the Swansea lads, who's name I don't know, that to be fair to them was also never a yellow. At least he was consistent in handing them out to both teams. But too harsh for my liking.

Edit: As for the ban. Well at least there are two Champions League matches coming up in the following weeks he can play in.

I agree with you that Torres shouldn't have initiated that tackle, it's not like the Swansea player was even in our half of the pitch so I don't understand why Torres does that to himself - I noticed that this is the case with him all the time with his tackles. An unnecessary tackle + yellow card (this time red). Boas needs to hopefully push him away from taking these risks. I thought contact wasn't as minimal at first, so I was angrier when I realized it was with that reaction from the Swansea player :/ More than anything however, I am angry at the length of the damn ban! For God's sake...

Good that the ban doesn't cover CL games, and thankfully the 3 games he will not be available for are not too tough in comparison to the others. Everton may be though. We will be facing them twice in a small period.

Vivalaraza said:
Footy GAF doin it big.

Who was the top poster in the last thread? Fady?

Was I :0??

Yen

Fady K
Fry8
Bungieware
Meus Renaissance
Yurt
Kermit The Dog
Clegg
faridmon
Vivalaraza
BatmanBatmanBatman
omgkitty
Shogun PaiN
odd_morsel

Fady K

^^^ Holy shit, I posted that much? I love football too much these days :p

Clegg said:
Paul could you put the Torres miss against United in the OT plz?

I think it deserves to be there.

I object :mad: We can put the amazing goal he scored against United instead. Or the amazing goal he scored against Swansea today :D

xintin said:
Can anyone stop the Fady juggernaut for top poster this OT?

I didn't realize my posts are that high :p :p :p Mainly cause during the matches, I never post. How do you guys do that? Post during the matches? I can't get my eyes off the TV personally :p

Kylehimself said:
And Rooney's amazing penalty from the Arsenal game last season right beside it, plskthnx. And the slip last week too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNfJIgcv2SI

Yes! That would be fair :) You rock Kyle :D

Clegg

Fady K said:
Sorry guys, excuse me for doing this, I had to respond :p I'll try to keep em shorter from here on out :p

He was being an idiot unfortunately. I just did not know that red cards equate to 3 match bans all the time. Whatever happened to one match bans :[
He gets a 3 match ban because the first card the referee produced was a red not a yellow.

If the referee deems the foul as severe then he can send a player off without having to give him a second yellow.

Straight red cards a given for serious foul play and as such are rewarded with a 3 game ban.

Fady K

Clegg said:
He gets a 3 match ban because the first card the referee produced was a red not a yellow.

If the referee deems the foul as severe then he can send a player off without having to give him a second yellow.

Straight red cards a given for serious foul play and as such are rewarded with a 3 game ban.

Ahhhh I see, thanks for the info. Did not know about this.

gate777

I predicted OT3 by matchday 1 of the Champions League; I was only 2 weeks off. :-(
+1 for the thread title change

Fady K

Kylehimself said:
Edit: Fady, two yellows is a one match ban.

Yeah, thanks for the info bro. I used to think that the length of the ban is based on the severity of the foul rather than straight red vs 2 yellows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom