• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA SPORTS FC, the Next Chapter of the World’s Game announced

Ozriel

M$FT
I must say, FIFA really shot themselves in the foot.

EA's going to blanket the airwaves with adverts covering the name change. By September, nearly every active FIFA player on earth would know about the name change. Especially when that'll be the only game in stores. The cutover will be seamless.

FIFA throwing away hundreds of millions in royalty payments will have to be studied at Ivy League schools as a textbook example of inane business decisions.

Soccer?

No Way Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
Sigh

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Come on you Manchester Reds and Blues and you London Whites!! I'm rooting for ya!!

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
When youre a kid and get exposed to football, baseball, basketball, hockey, racing, watersports, winter sports, golf, MMA, hell even sitting on the couch like a lazy ass and watching WWE etc.... soccer gets dumped down the toilet
No. Not where I lived. Not me too. I was exposed to basketball, volleyball, tennis, badminton, squash, watersports, racing, even watching WWF like you say and while they were fun, none of them hit home like football. I could eat, sleep, breathe football 24/7 and never get bored.

Rykan

I live in the US where Soccer ranks anywhere between the 6th to 8th most watched sport so most Americans would rather watch anything else.

Now a lot of this has to do with we simply do not funnel our top athletes to the sport and it starts in High Schools, at least in Indiana

I have worked with a lot of kids over the years to be better baseball pitchers and even when they are multi sport stars I have had my kids tell me Athletic Directors at their school have told them to not play all 4 major sports and have asked them to specifically drop Soccer because it doesn't make the school any money because no one goes to the games.
I've heard so many variations of “Americans don't care about Soccer!”, but soccer is the 4th most popular sport in terms of viewership in the United States, and it recently surpassed Ice Hockey. The popularity of Soccer in the US has been increasing substantially.

Sorry it bothers you so much more people in the US would rather watch Baseball than soccer
For now*. Baseball is rapidly declining and Soccer is rapidly gaining in popularity in the US.

Last edited:
How is it? The motion matching stuff make a difference compared to fifa 21?
I actually haven’t bought a fifa game since the World Cup 2006 game for Xbox 260 - played a newer ones several times at friends’ houses. This last World Cup made me more of a soccer fan and it’s certainly an obvious go to game with guests over.

I’m honestly super impressed - it was on sale for $30 this week. Just the sheer level of content, customization, music, even graphics are impressive. They incorporated the World Cup stuff as well which another reason I wanted this specific release. No regrets so far, great time killer too of course

Lasha

I love how there's always someone doing ACHSTUALLY every single time football is brought up, along with the classics "mah boring" and "rolling on the ground". The best part is that it's always from silly americans that spend their entire time at Ford dealerships trying to get big trucks that they can't afford and counting down for 8 months or whatever between each season of sports that they are barely invested in because they happen to happen in their city.

The world's game is football, that's how it works. If a thread is about concussion handegg, we'll let you know. :messenger_sunglasses:

The response always comes after an insecure English person corrects somebody for using Soccer. I think your anger is misplaced.

The power of football is huge and it’s the most popular sport worldwide , arguing that Americans don’t care about it is fine but give it 10 years or earlier and it will have surpassed your trash sports in no time.
Barring this last World Cup, soccer is incredibly boring. I say this as someone who went to a Barcelona game against Dortmund when Messi scored 2 times (I think assisted twice too) - fell asleep. Went to the Portugal vs Belgium game in Sevilla a year later - pretty close to falling asleep again. Maybe the game is so rhythmic, it’s almost soothing enough to fall asleep.

You are right though, the flopping around on the ground and Neymar tendencies has become infestations in American sports as well

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I love football.

But hockey is the greatest sport on earth.

Most skilled. Fastest. Most intense. Hardest hitting. Best playoffs. Fights. Real hatred. Least amount of flopping.

GymWolf

Just because it’s a commonality around the world, doesn’t make it better. Most of the world is also lactose intolerant
Still funny how people try to downtalk soccer because they really believe that football or fucking baseball are more fun to play\watch.

They probably never watched a good soccer match.ì or just watched people faking fouls compilations on yt.

I'm sure that in america centric sports nobody fake a fouls or take a dive...

Represent.

Still funny how people try to downtalk soccer because they really believe that football or fucking baseball are more fun to play\watch.

They probably never watched a good soccer match.ì or just watched people faking fouls compilations on yt.

Its true many just watch a compilation. Or see a bunch of passing/tie games and get turned off. The diving also does not help. Also. There are too many fucking leagues. People don't know where/what to watch in North America.

Football was my first love in sports. I played til I was about 15 then one year just stopped.

A good match is a thing of beauty. The passing is incredible. Controls the flow and pace of the game. And the good games kind of play out like 2 predators hunting prey. Pass, pass, pass, and only strike when the opportunity is perfect. The more apex predator wins. I love the simplicity of it. Another reason its so popular.

Football is easily my #2 sport.

Hockey is #1. I wish more people gave it a chance. Its niche because its expensive to play. But my god is it fast, intense, skillful and full of hatred. I love it.

Last edited:

DosGamer

The older I have gotten the more I like football/ soccer over other sports. I always liked basketball growing up, but honestly watching games now is painful. The constant replays and bullshit foul calls just to keep the games close for point spreads ... not to mention its a game of run and gun now.

Baseball is boring as shit.. period. I can watch a game live, but never on TV.
American football is the same as basketball... .the games are way too long and college football is like watching all of the lord of the ring movies back to back.. .takes forever.
Soccer just has the right amount of play. More appealing to me now.

Azurro

Banned
I love football.

But hockey is the greatest sport on earth.

Most skilled. Fastest. Most intense. Hardest hitting. Best playoffs. Fights. Real hatred. Least amount of flopping.

I'm ok with hockey, but my problem with it is that it has no beauty to it, there's too much interruption to the motions, too much hitting and not enough combinations or skills with the stick. It's an ugly sport, but I respect the physicality.

fatmarco

They suck at it is why (relative to everyone else). What would inspire a populace to care about a sport they're bad at? It's not enjoyable for them.

Here we go again with the Soccer/Football nonsense. Being South American in the US I’ll say this. It’s Fútbol. And Football is what you Colonizers call Handegg.

There. I just solved the issue and world hunger all in one go.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Listen its called football because we invented that shit and decide what its called. Not some weird rugby/football stop start nonsense hybrid that you lot got the rules mixed up with on the boat over.

Last edited:

Represent.

I'm ok with hockey, but my problem with it is that it has no beauty to it, there's too much interruption to the motions, too much hitting and not enough combinations or skills with the stick. It's an ugly sport, but I respect the physicality.
Depends on the teams you watch. Watch Edmonton Oilers, Colorado Avalanche, New Jersey Devils, New York Rangers, etc if you like the faster, more skilled games. The problem is that style typically gets crushed in the playoffs and stronger, more well rounded teams with size and grit typically edge them out.

Some skill players to watch:

Mitch Marner (Toronto Maple Leafs)
Conor McDavid (Edmonton Oilers)
Kiril Kaprizov (Minnesota Wild)
Nathan MacKinnon (Colorado Avalanche)
Trevor Zegras (Anaheim Ducks)
Cale Makar (Colorado Avalanche)

Over the past few years the game has slowly been trending towards a more speed/skill game than heavy/gritty.

Teams that have both are tough to beat.

Azurro

Banned
Represent. Represent. Thanks for the recommendations, really. I lived in Canada for quite a few years and tried to like it, but it just never clicked for me though. Now I live in Europe and it's not as easy to give it a try if I wanted to catch a game due to timezones, so that's though.

I really respect the athletes there though, and the skill of doing all of that while ice skating. Just not for me.

In addition to the social media posts from hundreds of leagues and teams, the TV transmissions are blanketed with ads. The logo is on the field and integrated into the graphics. It took over some of the betting and crypto ad space in the Italian games. The captains just showed an EAFC flag at the start of Sevilla's game.
EA is probably spending this year's FIFA's fee on this marketing effort.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I've heard so many variations of “Americans don't care about Soccer!”, but soccer is the 4th most popular sport in terms of viewership in the United States, and it recently surpassed Ice Hockey. The popularity of Soccer in the US has been increasing substantially.

For now*. Baseball is rapidly declining and Soccer is rapidly gaining in popularity in the US.
It might the 4th highest, but it's very fragmented across leagues combining into a total number. It seems the European leagues get higher ratings than MLS. So in isolation MLS isn't doing that great. You can tell because the player salaries are rock bottom compared to other leagues since the ratings and money arent there. Google says the average MPS salary is around $500,000. The NHL is like $3.5M. Both leagues have teams with around the same number of players.

I know people who enjoy watching soccer too. One person who follows TFC. And the other 10+ people who bring up soccer follow Manchester United or Spanish league teams. Probably 5 of them are Man U fans alone. They get up Saturday mornings to watch Premiership games.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Americans typically dont like sports that are low scoring. I think it’s an attention span thing lol

But you look at most sports Americans watch basketball , baseball , hockey and they type of thing they are all high scoring

They also
Have the World Series were only American teams compete. Go figure

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Actually, this isn't that common, especially in American football or baseball. Kind of a unique to football thing. You get it a bit in basketball as well, like when players try to draw a charge and jump in front of someone and let the slightest contact send them sliding back 10 yards.

They also

I mean is there a doubt that the MLB is the top league in the world for baseball??

It's not a World Series technically but it really is de facto

Same for NBA basketball, NHL Hockey and NFL American Football

In football it's not that clear because there are the domestic european leagues, and the european Champions League

In the 90s the italian Serie A was the top one, now it's the english Premier League for example

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I mean is there a doubt that the MLB is the top league in the world for baseball??

It's not a World Series technically but it really is de facto

Same for NBA basketball, NHL Hockey and NFL American Football

In football it's not that clear because there are the domestic european leagues, and the european Champions League

In the 90s the italian Serie A was the top one, now it's the english Premier League for example

So in baseball is there a World Series? Do other teams around the world compete in it?

Mattyp

Gold Member

Unbiased opinion here (Australian and rather watch League above all else and even grew up playing football) however as a huge sports fan I’ve been to premier league games & NFL games.

I’ve attended the World Cup & the Super Bowl.

NFL is far more enjoyable sport to watch excitement wise, people will same the same thing about it being ‘slow’ by watching YouTube clips. When it action the game is super quick and the Super Bowl to me was over way to quickly along with any college game.

Footballs 1 to 3 goals for 90 minutes even when I know good talent is on feels like a much slower experience specially teams defending a lead just kicking it around in back play or trying not to take any risks on a forward play. The way NFL/League/Union/AFL are designed is that time can’t be soaked up with fucking around, you need to push forward. It makes for a far more enjoyable spectacle to watch.

And compared to football no, no one takes dives like in football in these codes please don’t find a clip of a couple over the years it’s no where near as prevalent.

Other awesome American sports Basketball, Hockey. Baseball does nothing for me either does Nascar compared to European racing. All in all but can’t blame them for not pushing Football as a country, mind you if they directed the money resources and athletes like they do to other sports they would be a top 10 world team.

All irrelevant to the discussion as people enjoy what they grew up on, but suck shit fifa more than anything absolute cancer on the sport.

Last edited:
Americans typically dont like sports that are low scoring. I think it’s an attention span thing lol

But you look at most sports Americans watch basketball , baseball , hockey and they type of thing they are all high scoring

They also
The "world series". The world of the United States.

Top Bottom