• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island The Movie Announced by Lionsgate and many other details

-BLITZ-

Lionsgate Brings Dead Island to Life on the Big Screen
Feature Film Adaptation Of Deep Silver’s Zombie Sensation In Development At The Studio
  • London, UK, September 27.10.2011 – LIONSGATE, a leading global entertainment company, today announced that it has optioned film rights from Deep Silver to develop a feature inspired by Dead Island, which became a viral media sensation when its haunting, launched in February 2011. The announcement was made by Lionsgate’s co-COO and Motion Picture Group President Joe Drake.
  • Like the trailer that will serve as its primary creative inspiration, the film DEAD ISLAND will be an innovation of the zombie genre because of its focus on human emotion, family ties and non-linear storytelling. Said Drake of the property’s acquisition, “Like the hundreds of journalists and millions of fans who were so passionate and vocal about the Dead Island trailer, we too were awestruck.” He continued, “This is exactly the type of property we’re looking to adapt at Lionsgate – it’s sophisticated, edgy, and a true elevation of a genre that we know and love. It also has built in brand recognition around the world, and franchise potential.”
  • The film DEAD ISLAND is currently in the early development stage with producers attached. Sean Daniel (THE MUMMY, TOMBSTONE, DAZED AND CONFUSED) will spearhead production through his Sean Daniel Company. A veteran producer with global franchises under his belt, Daniel is to be joined in producing by Stefan Sonnenfeld, who has been a pioneer in the post production field, using the process as a platform to create a unique visual brand with directors including J.J Abrams, Michael Bay and Gore Verbinski. Jason Brown of The Sean Daniel Company and Missy Papageorge for Sonnenfeld’s Sunny Field Productions are executive producing, with Sarah Perlman of Sunny Field Productions serving as co-producer.
  • Alli Shearmur, Lionsgate’s President of Motion Picture Production and Development is overseeing the project at the studio, with Jim Miller, SVP of Production and Development. Rob McEntegart, Senior EVP of Lionsgate’s Motion Picture Group, negotiated the deal with Deep Silver's U.S. attorney Ed Labowitz.

Wallach

Yikes. They have a lot of work ahead of them to turn the trainwreck that is Dead Island's plot (and writing and characters) into something that isn't awful.

zomaha

Wallach said:
Yikes. They have a lot of work ahead of them to turn the trainwreck that is Dead Island's plot (and writing and characters) into something that isn't awful.

But how many video games-turned-movies actually stick to the same plot from the games? I only recall shit like Resident Evil and Silent Hill and I don't think they were close to 100% accurate.

ezekial45

Banned
Wallach said:
I get the impression that after Borderlands came out, they redesigned the game to more around a group based narrative. Which would explain why it was so thin. Originally, it was just one guy who had to find his girlfriend.

Wallach

ezekial45 said:
I get the impression that after Borderlands came out, they redesigned the game to more around a group based narrative. Which would explain why it was so thin. Originally, it was just one guy who had to find his girlfriend.

I could see that. If it's what convinced them to go with a co-op focus it definitely worked out to the game's benefit from a gameplay standpoint. But it feels like it's trying to assassinate your brain every time a cutscene starts. I honestly don't think there's anything worth salvaging for the purposes of a film.

Kifimbo

Phonomezer said:
Great news for Techland, I hope it's a good movie (lol).

These guys better be gearing up for Dead Island 2!

Not sure Techland is getting a single penny from that deal.

Wallach

Tranced Shadow said:
The news seems to imply that it's an adaptation of the Dead Island trailer :lol

Reading it again, I think you might be right. I'll have to go dig it up, but that is almost certainly a good thing.

Patryn

Wasn't this pretty much announced after that trailer hit?

Because, yes, this has nothing to do with the game and everything to do with that trailer. See:

Press Release said:
Like the trailer that will serve as its primary creative inspiration, the film DEAD ISLAND will be an innovation of the zombie genre because of its focus on human emotion, family ties and non-linear storytelling

Dresden

Dead Island is just there to provide the setting, and they could easily make something workable out of that. Focus on the city/beach and ignore the stupid jungle warrior stuff.

JDSN

Banned
If they want to capture the feeling of the game they should hire Tommy Wiseau as main lead, writer, casting director and maybe Paul greengrass for director.

(._.)

Banned
Video games don't need movies made of them. They all fucking suck and they never capture the same atmosphere a game creates amongst other things. smh at the people who like these movies.

I see some potential here. Has there been a high profile zombie film set in a bright, colorful tropical island? Most of them are dark and dreary.

Dead Island ROCKS btw...#2 game of the year for me!

Stitch

Gold Member
The Mana Legend said:
We already have an excellent zombie movie that takes place on an island.

We don't need another one.
Fuck yeah, Zombi 2!!

Oh well, I'd watch it. I love zombie movies.

Heavy said:
I see some potential here. Has there been a high profile zombie film set in a bright, colorful tropical island? Most of them are dark and dreary.

Dead Island ROCKS btw...#2 game of the year for me!

There have been a ton of zombie films in the tropics and also set on an island. All old films of course and many of which italian classics, but general pubilc probably is not familiar with them.

This thread reminds me... there's actually a Dead Island novel available as well. Has anyone read it and if so, is it worth it? (of course, with suitably adjusted expectations... not looking for Shakespeare here, but something like the Deus Ex Icarus Effect novel would be good enough).

I'm for this

Need more Zombie movies (like actual good ones) in a tropical environment ala:

MPW-1094

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Funny thing is talks of the movie were already underway just immediately after the first trailer was released

Chinner

Banned
Tranced Shadow said:
pretty much. dead island as a trailer is pretty good, dead island as a game is creatively bankrupt .

Wait, wait, wait, they are licensing the trailer? Did they even see the game? Congrats on Deep Silver for scamming Lion's Gate out of a whole load of cash!

I actually quite liked the game even with it's uneven difficulty and over long story.

KevinCow

Banned
Tranced Shadow said:
I noticed that too. Reminds me of the, "Marvel announces feature-length film adaptation of the Iron Man trailer," Onion article. I'd link it if I wasn't on my phone.

Edit: God dammit someone beat me to it because browsing and posting on this thing is so slow.

Haha, so, what, it took watching that trailer to make Lionsgate think, "Hey, we could make a zombie movie, with drama and emotion!" Well, they can't, because it's fucking Lionsgate, but I'm still surprised at their inanity :lol

FStop7

Banned
Wallach said:

I'd say that makes it easier for them because they shouldn't feel obligated to keep anything from the game other than the concept of resort island + zombies.

I like the idea of having the one hit wonder rapper, the disgraced ex-NFL QB, the executive bodyguard, etc being thrown into the situation together but whatever, it can be completely dropped without consequence.

KevinCow

Banned
B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
When this comes out I will marathon it along with the movies of
-Kane and Lynch
-World of Warcraft
-Metal Gear Solid
-Asteroids
How about Splinter Cell? Totally coming soon! There was a teaser trailer in Chaos Theory!

DanielJr82

If they take inspiration from the trailer and not the game itself, I think it has potential. The trailer was amazing, the game... not so much.

Top Bottom