• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

The sim racing crowd consists largely of a bunch of children who think their opinion is the only right opinion. Hence the VirtualR comment section. I think that of all communities I have 'experience' with, the sim racing crowd is the worst I've encountered.

Yep

SMS never had the luxury of having a good name in the sim community like Kunos and ISI have. Asetto Corsa for example is already held in high regard while near to no one has even tried it, while a lot people were convinced that CARS was going to be shit because SMS made it.

At least wait for the new tire model, but that seems to hard for some people to graps how much a game changes over a year in development.

I do understand people's skepticism. From the beloved GTRs to Need for Speed. There are some fences needing mending. That said, reasonable people welcome that and should be impressed with their commitment to get it right.

Dilly

Banned
I tried one of Andy Garton's FFB profiles, and the Tyres+SoP profile is very, very good. Best FFB I've felt in pCARS.

Megasoum

Banned
I tried one of Andy Garton's FFB profiles, and the Tyres+SoP profile is very, very good. Best FFB I've felt in pCARS.

What wheel are you using? I've always had issues with my Fanatec PWTS. It was definitly much better when they made some big changes a couple of builds ago but there was still some room for improvement.

Dilly

Banned
What wheel are you using? I've always had issues with my Fanatec PWTS. It was definitly much better when they made some big changes a couple of builds ago but there was still some room for improvement.

G25.

He used a Fanatec with that profile so it's worth a try for you.

kafiend

Todays build 247mb. Here's the patchnotes from last week to this. Haven't played in a while but had a quick go. What a difference clouds make :)

Build 261 (20/7/12, Team Member+)
Bumped version of all vehicles for Friday's stat reset. Fixed times not uploading

Build 260 (20/7/12, Team Member+)

Please start a new profile with this build

Quick fix for clouds popping. I am rendering the clouds in order of their cells. So no fancy sorting , therefore no switching of render order and thus no poping because of it
Changed Event Queue processing to use new Online Event Filters
Add new Online event Queue which will eventually replace all previous online related event queues
Modified DX11 handling of default texture to correctly set "write by CPU" flag (this removes an error reported by DX11 debug version)
Cloud Optimisations , spawning and rendering fixes:
- CloudLayers regions can be configured to sizes and we can vary their total densities
- Clouds share primitative resources and materials so no need for thousands
Added in code so IBL can be used forward and phase3 render passes. Changed the order so then I seed the enviroment random variable
Changed the camera far render clip plane. Added in code so IBL can be used forward and phase3 render passes in dynamic env maps
Change so percloud formation factor is stored in the clouds w.w component.. this is done cause we do not store 1 material per cloud instance (why because that would be a massive overhead)
Overlay shader modified to properly cope with being only in phase 3 of deferred rendering, which fixes specular and normal map issues
Removing experimental IBL Lighting from clouds
Fixed new_ground shader broad normal map to use correct UV mapping
WTC tweaks to optimise a couple of conditions. Cloud meshes re-exported with a single texture applied. Slightly lower res as a result but looks OK. console specific versions added for the new texture
Fix new_ground.fx not doing normal mapping properly
Caterham Classic max file: damage added
Various cars: fixed issue with tabs and readability in physics files
Ghosts system:
- Added texts to global text database, used primarily for save game support in the ghost system
- Ghosts that the cache manager knows about are of two distinct types now: server-side ghosts (present either on the server or in the local disk cache), or save game ghosts. They never mix together, and searches for one type igno
Adding experimental stratus cloud set up into the light rain slot, which is currently just a placeholder anyway
Belgian forest - 1st pass for trees done
Removed downward facing quads in stormy and thurnder stormy conditions as they don't add much and are a frame hit. Also halved the number of clouds for further optimisation
Belgian Forest Circuit - add new textures for Atrium
Eifelwald - new slope grass texture psd source file
Eifelwald - new slope grass texture
Eifelwald - wirefence texture tweak
Metallic Matte paint support added to bodywork2 and bodywork2_skinned shaders
WTC edit to add new cloud densities for optimised weather system
Also added horizon altitudes for clouds. Setting these to just above the top of the sky ring looks best for now, but they will noticeably pop in until other issues are sorted
Belgian Forest - update crowds for new terrain and changes
Belgian Forest - create more darker temporary grass texture for outer terrain
Tweaked settings in CSD for Caterham Classic
BFC grass textures checked in
Caterham Classic: Fixed speed calibration
New Belgian Forest export
New Eifelwald export
New Sakitto exports

Build 259 (19/7/12, Senior Manager)
New Sakitto textures
Belgian Forest - add new textures and change kemmel bridge texture
Lotus 49 default setup changes: more front brake bias, higher brake pressure
caterham sp300r: added hand paddle animation stockcar 90: changed foor position on pedals
Lotus 49: Drivability changes and tweaks
Caterham 500: adjusted drag torque arms per Casey's suggestions
Added Caterham Classic
Caterham Classic: First pass on the physics
Caterham Classic: Adjusted lower collision points
MAX file:driver anims pack 1: Caterham classic
Caterham Classic max file: CPIT complete
Caterham Classic: Exhaust position fixed
Caterham Classic: Replacing placeholder file
Caterham Classic: Calibrated gauges
Caterham Classic: Fixed path
New Formula Rookie export

Build 258 (18/7/12, Senior Manager)
Ghost system:
- Ghosts that the cache manager knows about are of two distinct types now: server-side ghosts (present either on the server or in the local disk cache), or save game ghosts. They never mix together, and searches for one type ignore ghosts of the other type. This allows the cache manager to perform whatever is needed automatically on the first set (including renames and deleted), and never touch the second type of ghosts (where any action must be initiated by the player)
- Added another source of ghost data: saved game (with empty implementation for now)
- Renamed disk load and save tasks to disk cache load and save, to make it clear that the local disk cache is used.
- All code (including declarations) relating to disk cache support is compiled only when the disk cache is enabled. This prevents things like constants being accidentally used in code that isn't supposed to deal with disk cache.
- CRC is calculated (and kept for later reverification) even if the ghost file is saved to local disk cache. This triggers verification upon subsequent load just before server upload
WIP updates to BDbgMetrics and TCP connection code
- Added BDbgMetrics specific tcp byte buffer
- Standardised type usage in BTCPByteBuffer to avoid bugs
- Added proper error handling to BTCPByteBuffer
- Fixed potential buffer overflow bugs
- Added support to grow the byte buffer if it is full. If it grows more than once it will assert and inform to adjust initial size
Fixed handling of track damage effects data, which was leaking slowly due to loading every round but only releasing on shutdown
Corrected memory trace strings in HRDF code, which were mistakenly causing the impression that leaking data was from the animation subsystem
Fixed usage of explicit integer types when working with UserIds and RefIds
New added viewer placed spotlights for car selection scene
Caterham R500: drivabilty changes and tweaks. Alot was reverted to my last phyics changes and some tweakes on top of that. Kept Casey's gearbox and gearing
New added texturemaps for car selection scene, baked neon-lightmaps
Belgian Forest Circuit - add new textures for PitTribunes_LODA
Eifelwald source textures
Fix for wrong build number info casuing issues with the Launcher

Build 257 (18/7/12, Senior Manager)
Added classes wrapping UserId and RefId values. This ensures type safety when using those ids and will simplify transition to platform-specific user ids in the future
Fixed order of initialization problems in various places
Fixed some type conversion warnings
Simplified the forced mempool destruction process to avoid crashes on app exit
General bug fixing

Build 256 (17/7/12, Manager+)
Online: Fixed broken log in: Several variables were duplicated in base and derived classes, which resulted in them not being updated
Ghost system:
- Lowered the maximum uncompressed binary ghost stream buffer size, based on the expected zip compression ratio and maximum compressed stream buffer size
- Added macro that controls support for ghost save game storage
Launcher:
- Added new error message for UAC timeout or cancellation, instead of showing the generic "failed to execute" error
- Reworded a few misleading error messages
- Added human-readable Win32 error messages to the log file
- Fixed incorrect line endings in log file
- Installed version is updated in the UI when a patch has been run
Adds back frontend weather conditions accidentally removed in previous checkin
Formula Rookie max: CPIT 65K tris, fixed UV mapping in cockpit
Adding backfire and crackle sounds (experimental)
Common glass texture update
Belgian Forest - add new treewall texture
Caterham R500 and Classic: unlocked rear toe and camber settings
Experimental: road noise effect added (affects physics and therefore FFB, needs testing on various different wheels)
Belgian Forest Circuit - slightly change textures
Heavy cloud lighting tweaks
New Formula Rookie export

Build 255 (16/7/12, Senior Manager)
First set of clouds in game
Extended weather descriptions to match conditions
Ghost system:
- Renamed server CRC to CRC, as it's used regardless of storage location.
- Added debug output showing debug code that can be be used to select that ghost.
Setting CarSoundConfig fallbacks and generated values to the currently used ones
Added safety checks for audio code supporting multiple turbos
Added preliminary wet surface sounds for the player (AIs are using the dry ones for now). Tweaked jetstream sound so it operates on the track wetness rather than the weather condition
Disable 3D scene, replace with old FMV. Enable 3D scene on command line '-use3DScene'
Added support for sending 64-bit integers and hex-encoded binary data as HttpApi parameters
Code to setup the clouds on first tick
Only muffle the audio in helmet cam if the helmet is actually being displayed (up to the user in the options)
Fix for uninitialised variable in the main menu causing a crash on second load
Clouds spawn in over 20 seconds and disperse over 20 seconds no matter what the speed up factor is
Caterham R500: migrating a couple of physics ideas that worked on the Classic to the R500
Materials library. Updated Paint flat CPIT material
Asano X4 wheels textures. Metal tests
Surface skid and peel behaviour changes. Requires feedback/opinion
Belgian Forest:New textures first pass
Belgian Forest: Update emm map for House02
Belgian Forest: Add new textures for House03
Updates to wet weather effects
Cloud lighting tweaks
Improved text labels for weather descriptions
New Northampton export

Blizzard

Banned
The Caterham Classic looks like a cute car. People seem to have quite a positive opinion of how fun it is to drive.

I haven't downloaded the build myself yet, but I'm really looking forward to cloud pictures. :D

From the forum, shot from Presha:
screenshot91692dxir.jpg

Shots from Aleksss:
pcars2012-07-2102-39-wvxkt.jpg

pcars2012-07-2103-03-88zux.jpg

Yeah clouds need to fade with distance, and yeah I think it's known that they need to adjust how clouds look down to the horizon, but I'm pretty happy with this for the first pass. Apparently they broke their record for most people online at the same time this week. :)

Dilly

Banned
Those clouds are ridiculously good looking, there are some bugs and sometimes it doesn't look right, but when it does look right it's about as close to photorealistic that I've ever seen.

Especially amazing since it's all dynamic.

paskowitz

If they get the physics right, this game has the potential to be absolutely epic. The "right" cars, the tracks, the features, the graphics, etc are all hear. Even the FFB is not bad independent of the physics. The physics have gotten better since release but oversteer still does not feel proper and grip levels are all over the place. Right now the Caterham seems to be the best with the Asano Touring a close second. I really do not understand how this game could have worse physics than NFS Shift 1 modded with the overhaul mod. If they just took that and copied it (it is a mod, based on code they can't use. Useless?), it would be a better start than what we have now.

Mascot

I really do not understand how this game could have worse physics than NFS Shift 1 modded with the overhaul mod. If they just took that and copied it (it is a mod, based on code they can't use. Useless?), it would be a better start than what we have now.
That's really disappointing to hear. Like you say, everything bar the physics seems to be in place. If SMS can nail that then this game could be peerless.

I guess this time next year well find out just how much Shift's handling model was actually influenced by the suits at EA, and how much of it is really how SMS think it should be done.

Dilly

Banned
Physics in normal conditions feel fine, it's just in case of oversteer and understeer (extreme situations) that it feels clunky to me.

wiggleb0t

Banned
I tried to go for a beach post card travel vibe.
Running everything else max except blur on low with 8xmsaa 16af and post smaa set to ultra @ 1080p averaging 60fps.
pcars2012-07-2122-43-qgzyu.png

wiggleb0t

Banned
Care to post your PC spec?

Thanx in advance!

i5 750 @ 3.2 (usually 3.8-4.0GHz but running passive cooler as one fan died on heatsink)
Gigabyte 670 which automatically runs slightly higher than factory default OC
4gb Ram
Win 7 64 Ult

You can see it guzzling up the VRAM :) Glad to see they're utilizing the hardware. Sometimes it will be chewing through 2018mb of vram.

I really wanna see how far they can push it and take it with the visuals. Surprised it doesn't require 2x 670s for those settings and fps, oh and that's with 15 cars on track!
The only downside I see is that visually it's ruined any upcoming racing games as they've set the bar too high and no one else seems to be delivering on that level also factor in it's in prealpha it's just craaaazy!

I know hardcore sim enthusiasts might not be currently happy with the physics settings but immersion is equally important IMO and it's not like were not driving daily, we experience visual clarity on the road albeit not on a track with a million$+ cars it's still a big tick to nail the visuals down.

Mascot

I keep getting very tempted to buy a gaming PC with the specs to run this game silky smooth on three screens with everything maxed. The only thing stopping me is the thought that this time next year - when the game probably launches - a lot of my hardware would either be out of date, or much cheaper to buy.

That and the thought of x720 or PS4.

Very tempted though, and it'll no doubt increase during the transition from summer to winter.

fresquito

I keep getting very tempted to buy a gaming PC with the specs to run this game silky smooth on three screens with everything maxed. The only thing stopping me is the thought that this time next year - when the game probably launches - a lot of my hardware would either be out of date, or much cheaper to buy.

Very tempted though, and it'll no doubt increase during the transition from summer to winter.
It's very unlickely your hardware will be outdated by this time next year. Hardware cicles have widened in PC world since they follow consoles. You can max pCARS with two year old hardware.

That said, hardware will be cheaper a year from now, that's for sure. However, I wouldn't hesitate: PC Gaming is worth it.

Skip the triple screens, and just put together a reasonable system. Don't bother breaking the bank. Enjoy ALL of the great racing sims, and the other terrific things about PC gaming.

You have a nice Fanatec setup already, right?

Mascot

It's very unlickely your hardware will be outdated by this time next year. Hardware cicles have widened in PC world since they follow consoles. You can max pCARS with two year old hardware.

That said, hardware will be cheaper a year from now, that's for sure. However, I wouldn't hesitate: PC Gaming is worth it.

If pCARS was out right now in finished form, with glowing testimonials about the FFB, physics, handling etc, then I'd probably dive straight in without hesitation.

Skip the triple screens, and just put together a reasonable system. Don't bother breaking the bank. Enjoy ALL of the great racing sims, and the other terrific things about PC gaming.

You have a nice Fanatec setup already, right?

Yeah, I've got a dedicated game room with Fanatec GT2, CSPs, h-gate, Playseat, screen mount, Yamaha 5.1 etc so a lot of the kit is already in place. If I went the PC route I'd want to spec it reasonably highly to hopefully make it relatively future-proof.

wiggleb0t

Banned

I'm running a nearly 3 year old cpu, only updated the gpu.
Sandy bridge came along... Wasn't worth the upgrade given I run the pc overclocked @ 4.0ghz..
Ivy bridge came along... Wasn't worth the upgrade for me again, like 30% performance gain maybe?

5870 released 3 years back...6970 came along with maybe 20% performance increase. Wasn't worth it.
Had a 5970 and 5870... 580 wasn't worth it neither was the 590.. Jumped in on the 670 as noise and roar power is just fantastic plus was sick of Ati shenanigans.

Edit: If anyone thinks a ps4 or 720 will run this game in it's full release state at 1080p 60 fps they're having a laugh IMO.

japtor

Physics in normal conditions feel fine, it's just in case of oversteer and understeer (extreme situations) that it feels clunky to me.
Is this based on actual driving experience* or in comparison to other games? Or just weird relative to the rest of the physics of the CARS itself?

*Even with this there's the issue of different cars feeling different to begin with.

Dilly

Banned
Is this based on actual driving experience* or in comparison to other games? Or just weird relative to the rest of the physics of the CARS itself?

*Even with this there's the issue of different cars feeling different to begin with.

In comparison to other sims.

Polyphony

I feel the same way about the physics, but I am confident that it'll be fine when the game releases. They've come a long way since the time I first joined. It would be great to have proper track rubbering and flat spot simulation.

Blizzard

Banned
If they get the physics right, this game has the potential to be absolutely epic. The "right" cars, the tracks, the features, the graphics, etc are all hear. Even the FFB is not bad independent of the physics. The physics have gotten better since release but oversteer still does not feel proper and grip levels are all over the place. Right now the Caterham seems to be the best with the Asano Touring a close second. I really do not understand how this game could have worse physics than NFS Shift 1 modded with the overhaul mod. If they just took that and copied it (it is a mod, based on code they can't use. Useless?), it would be a better start than what we have now.
Have you tried some of the various setups and/or FFB tweaks from the forums (at least I -think- there should be some there)? I almost wonder if there are some wheels/systems for which certain settings work great, and/or certain people who consider them realistic, but others don't. There are so many options, it seems like a daunting task to produce something that everyone will consider realistic by default without the need for tweaking.

markao

I had some time yesterday evening to test the new build and day/weather addition, besides few obvious issues/bugs, looks very good already and that little Caterham was fun to drive. I can see that one, with few tweaks (tire loose grip and regain) being very popular online.

And as there is no MP yet, video of me against the AI at Connecticut Hill short, 7 laps, little bump in the 1st corner cost me better a better finish ;)

Caterham Seven Classic - Connecticut Hill Short - 7 laps vs AI (build 261) (youtube)

paskowitz

Have you tried some of the various setups and/or FFB tweaks from the forums (at least I -think- there should be some there)? I almost wonder if there are some wheels/systems for which certain settings work great, and/or certain people who consider them realistic, but others don't. There are so many options, it seems like a daunting task to produce something that everyone will consider realistic by default without the need for tweaking.

I have a Fanatec CSW and I have not seen any specific settings posted for the wheel that feel right to me. Like other have said, oversteer is just not right. If you see any PM me or post them here. The game has gotten better since it was released, but there is this "snap" reaction to oversteer that just should not be there. Oversteer is not progressive, it is like an on/off switch. I do not think this has anything to do with wheel settings.

Yep, I'm going to have my pc done by Oct and I'm actually going with the gtx670 and plan to get another gtx 670 for sli later in the year so I should be set for a year or two.

_machine

I have a Fanatec CSW and I have not seen any specific settings posted for the wheel that feel right to me. Like other have said, oversteer is just not right. If you see any PM me or post them here. The game has gotten better since it was released, but there is this "snap" reaction to oversteer that just should not be there. Oversteer is not progressive, it is like an on/off switch. I do not think this has anything to do with wheel settings.
The reason no settings can fix it yet is that it's inherent in the tire model; AJ is currently working to minimize the transient-grip issue in the current model for consoles/AI like most sims do(rF, otm iR) and the dynamic tire model(like LFS or rF2) will have no such problem. It's easily the physics main issue, but it'll get fixed.

Funny, I'm thinking the opposite happened. The new pagani cars are just... oO

And yeah, that "snap" thing has been there since I first played this.

The reason no settings can fix it yet is that it's inherent in the tire model; AJ is currently working to minimize the transient-grip issue in the current model for consoles/AI like most sims do(rF, otm iR) and the dynamic tire model(like LFS or rF2) will have no such problem. It's easily the physics main issue, but it'll get fixed.
One can hope.

Dilly

Banned

I agree with this.

It's not impossible to counter oversteer, but I feel that a lot of times it just instagrips and I still land in the barrier in the direction that I'm countersteering in.

Watevaman

I think it's a licensing thing, right? Some of the British tracks are licensed, so those will probably have full names. I'm surprised they don't have them now. I could've sworn Donington was on that list.

Megasoum

Banned
Is it likely the tracks will be given their proper names at some point, or not?

I think it's a licensing thing, right? Some of the British tracks are licensed, so those will probably have full names. I'm surprised they don't have them now. I could've sworn Donington was on that list.

Yeah they are actively working on licensing as much stuff as possible but that kind of thing take some time and will likely happen near the end of the project.

They can do the tracks under fake names if they want too tho. They just have to change it enough (they said how much stuff they had to change exactly a couple of months ago on the forums but I can't remember) so. Worst case scenario we still get the tracks with fake name...which isn't that big of a deal.

Shaneus

Is it likely the tracks will be given their proper names at some point, or not?
I think most (if not all) are a lock. From what I understand, the licensing for tracks is dirt cheap compared to cars because they don't really have anything to lose and there's nothing like damage modelling or cars flipping or whatever that require hard scrutiny. And it's free publicity for the track owners.

There was something posted earlier in the PC sim thread regarding Bathurst making an appearance in a new Simbin title, and how easy it was to work with Australians. I'd also guess that a dev that isn't necessarily a guaranteed money puller (a la Shift/Forza/GT) being able to license so many tracks (have a look at Race Injection and it's spinoffs/add-ons) means that it can't be too pricey... I think.

Megasoum

Banned
I think most (if not all) are a lock. From what I understand, the licensing for tracks is dirt cheap compared to cars because they don't really have anything to lose and there's nothing like damage modelling or cars flipping or whatever that require hard scrutiny. And it's free publicity.

There was something posted earlier in the PC sim thread regarding Bathurst making an appearance in a new Simbin title, and how easy it was to work with Australians. I'd also guess that a dev that isn't necessarily a guaranteed money puller (a la Shift/Forza/GT) being able to license so many tracks (have a look at Race Injection and it's spinoffs/add-ons) means that it can't be too pricey... I think.

Bathurst is already licensed too.

Shaneus

Bathurst is already licensed too.
Oh yeah, I know that's the case for pCARS, but it was news for Simbin. But I'm not sure if the name used in-game is the proper "race track" name or they're just using the locale name for the track (ie. is it Bathurst or Mt. Panorama?). I don't think they're using proper names for any other tracks, so maybe "Bathurst" isn't what it'll go by, come release time.

Megasoum

Banned
Oh yeah, I know that's the case for pCARS, but it was news for Simbin. But I'm not sure if the name used in-game is the proper "race track" name or they're just using the locale name for the track (ie. is it Bathurst or Mt. Panorama?). I don't think they're using proper names for any other tracks, so maybe "Bathurst" isn't what it'll go by, come release time.

Ah right it is Bathurst iirc.

I can't wait for them to get the licensing in cause it's mad confusing right now when you're trying to find a specific track lol. Hopefully they'll redo the track selection menu too cause it's kinda difficult to browse the list right now.

TJP

From what I understand, the licensing for tracks is dirt cheap compared to cars because they don't really have anything to lose and there's nothing like damage modelling or cars flipping or whatever that require hard scrutiny. And it's free publicity for the track owners.

There was something posted earlier in the PC sim thread regarding Bathurst making an appearance in a new Simbin title, and how easy it was to work with Australians.
Ian Bell from SMS posted the licencing cost for most tracks tops out around $50K with many falling well below that figure and some of the better known tracks asking for more.

Mount Panorama should be an easy track to licence as it's 'owned' by the council. If the Bathurst council is run like most other councils I've encountered, they'll be more interesting being PITA about home improvements than licencing the public road to some Swedes.

ed3dfx

Slightly Mad Studios (SMS)
New Project CARS Trailer - Dance Of The Earth

Click Image Above to view Video on Vimeo

Time lapse footage is shot entirely in game, game speed is sped up... Very Early Work in Progress

Enjoy!

Top Bottom