• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey, has your Xbox Live account been hacked/FIFA'd? Post here!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Patrick Klepek posted a new story surrounding this issue on the front page of Giant Bomb.

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/the-25-days-and-counting-of-waiting-to-get-back-on-xbox-live/3858/

Nothing new by any means that all of us has been aware of since at least June. My account has been running ok since my hack was resolved well over two months ago(after the month-long investigation wait in September). Still, good to see some enthusiast press attention considering the problem is still rampant well over 6 months later.

Was annoyed at Patrick's first story a few months back that didn't quite seem to get the facts straight(or the problem at large). But this is at least an improvement, directly communicating with the victims, as well as reporting his failed communique with Microsoft.

U2NUMB

Was listening to a popular Minneapolis morning show this morning and the main host talked about his account being hacked and thousands of points being bought. Sadly he had no idea just how common it was but he called MS and said they were looking into it. I wanted badly to call in and give a bit of detail to him but was already late for work.

This is a super mainstream thing that is happening to all sorts of people...

Be sure to enable the feature that requires the password on any new console.. it is better than nothing and be smart with your passwords!

operon

Think I've hacked too.

Was logged into xbox live on the web today and noticed my points balance much lover that previous, looked at my previous purchases and it says I bought the premium gold jumbo yesterday, which I haven't. Luckily never had my credit card attached to the account. Can't not have my xbox live account over Christmas so have just changed my password but this is a bloody pain in the ass

Droog

Think I've hacked too.

Was logged into xbox live on the web today and noticed my points balance much lover that previous, looked at my previous purchases and it says I bought the premium gold jumbo yesterday, which I haven't. Luckily never had my credit card attached to the account. Can't not have my xbox live account over Christmas so have just changed my password but this is a bloody pain in the ass

What were the points spent on then? FIFA Ultimate Team packs?

On a separate note, I bought some MS Points via Xbox.com today and it required me to give my CC 3 digit security number before purchase. That's a new requirement, right?

operon

What were the points spent on then? FIFA Ultimate Team packs?

On a separate note, I bought some MS Points via Xbox.com today and it required me to give my CC 3 digit security number before purchase. That's a new requirement, right?

My purchase history says I bought the premium gold jumbo, clicking on that goes to a broken link but looking it up on google its to do with Fifa 12

Droog

My purchase history says I bought the premium gold jumbo, clicking on that goes to a broken link but looking it up on google its to do with Fifa 12

Ah, I was unaware that was the name of it - thanks! Sucks that it happened to you though.

Patrick Klepek posted a new story surrounding this issue on the front page of Giant Bomb.

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/the-25-days-and-counting-of-waiting-to-get-back-on-xbox-live/3858/

God, the comments of people waiting for 3/4 months to get their acc back. If this isn't the fail of the year nothing is :/ (and shaping up to be next years one as long as they keep their mouth shut and blame it on people giving too many details to be social engineered/phising scams).

operon

God, the comments of people waiting for 3/4 months to get their acc back. If this isn't the fail of the year nothing is :/ (and shaping up to be next years one as long as they keep their mouth shut and blame it on people giving too many details to be social engineered/phising scams).

It ridiculous that this is still happening, luckily I don't have my credit card attached to my account, not having xbox live over Christmas would have been a pita

What the fuck. Just happened to me.

Drained my points, bout 6000 points with my card, drained those. All on FIFA packs. There was a Chinese security question on my profile which I removed. Changed my password and removed the alternate email from my account.

I called; on vacation so I didn't have my console ID and serial; they said it would take 3-6 weeks to fix. They promised my points would return and the charge would be revoked. So they locked my account; no gaming for me this Christmas break.

epmode

Do the attackers have to get an alternate email address on your Live account for this to work? Because I attached about 10 garbage email addresses so that nothing else can be added. Maybe that'll stop em?

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I still haven't but my EA login is @isp while my xbox login is @gmail
all mail from xbox goes to the e-mail my ISP e-mail
Can't sign into xbox using ISP email

sonicmj1

I got hacked on Thursday. I had been playing SR3 earlier that night, and in the three hours between play sessions, someone had gotten access to my account and drained my 4000 point card to buy a Gears 3 Season Pass, AC: Brotherhood DLC, and KoF2002. He was still on while I was playing, and kept booting me offline by logging in.

I'd think it'd be a piece of cake to figure out who did it, but I guess I'm not going to be able to take advantage of the sales on XBLA this holiday season. Good thing Saints Row is still a blast offline.

Rebel Leader

I got hacked on Thursday. I had been playing SR3 earlier that night, and in the three hours between play sessions, someone had gotten access to my account and drained my 4000 point card to buy a Gears 3 Season Pass, AC: Brotherhood DLC, and KoF2002. He was still on while I was playing, and kept booting me offline by logging in.

I'd think it'd be a piece of cake to figure out who did it, but I guess I'm not going to be able to take advantage of the sales on XBLA this holiday season. Good thing Saints Row is still a blast offline.

Why not buy some point cards and create a silver acct?

Rebel Leader

Because then it's not tied to your normal profile.

Does it have to be? Or do they block playing content other profiles purchased? If not, Why not create such an account?
Do what people with multiple PSN accts do, Write the info down.

epmode

Does it have to be? Or do they block playing content other profiles purchased? If not, Why not create such an account?
I bet it would work. But then you'd have to carry around two Live accounts instead of one and nuts to that. The Live sale isn't worth the hassle.

tranciful

Nothing new by any means that all of us has been aware of since at least June. My account has been running ok since my hack was resolved well over two months ago(after the month-long investigation wait in September). Still, good to see some enthusiast press attention considering the problem is still rampant well over 6 months later.

Was annoyed at Patrick's first story a few months back that didn't quite seem to get the facts straight(or the problem at large). But this is at least an improvement, directly communicating with the victims, as well as reporting his failed communique with Microsoft.

Update: http://www.giantbomb.com/news/a-qa-with-stephen-stepto-toulouse-on-xbox-live-security/3862/

They're still sticking to the social engineering claim. And this stood out to me:
When we say 25 days, just to be clear, that’s kind of the worst case scenario. The vast majority of those get fixed much sooner than that,
Skimming this thread and reading other reports, 25 days seems closer to the MINIMUM...

I said it in another thread. I'm a little concerned that they actually believe this social engineering horseshit. They should really look a little closer at what's going on.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I always thought it was interesting that some security questions had Chinese characters in it. But that's really as far as this thread got/helped.

Phooey.

undecided

This just happened to me a few minutes ago.. they spent all of my existing points on FIFA Packs, but it doesn't look like they bought any new points.

Called MS and they locked me out for 25 days as usual.

I don't use my Live ID for anything else (no websites/messenger/etc), and it doesn't share any password with any other account I have.

Surely they have to stop this at some point

Curufinwe

Shit. This will make for some interesting discussion on the next Weekend Confirmed. I wonder if Xav even knew about FIFA hacks before this.

Shacknews' Xav Dematos just got hit.

Tweet:

I just saw this. It's interesting how it's making rounds among the journalists. Welp, looks like Weekend Confirmed will be taking Unauthorized Access seriously now.

The Giantbomb crew talked about Patrick Klepek's newest article on the latest Bombcast. Not much new is said, but they just point out that Stepto is telling half truths and such (Stepto insists that filing a complaint with the BBB doesn't help lol). The most interesting discussion the crew has is about it being time for a new system to launch usher in new security. They guess that a lot of the security issues and support's trouble with migrating stolen accounts stems from the 2005 online tech foundation of the 360 just being outdated. They also confirm that Geoff Keighley got his account back within a day or two (as if there was any doubt).

Yagharek

He was sorted that quickly? Disgusting preferential treatment to keep the issue hidden. I think Microsoft are flat out lying at this point. Maybe it is as prevalent as the rrod?

Curufinwe

Jeff also said MS used to have a special service for journalists who got the RRoD, but he felt uncomfortable about using it so he never did take advantage of it.

Yagharek

Something about that doesn't sit right with me. It basically means that from a customer advisor standpoint, media people who are rushed through can't be trusted. I blame MS for that, because its essential keeping a lid on any real and serious flaws consumers need to know. In that sense it is exactly like rrod which was hush hush in the media until it reached fever point.

Shit. This will make for some interesting discussion on the next Weekend Confirmed. I wonder if Xav even knew about FIFA hacks before this.

No it won't because it'll just get pushed under the rug. Microsoft has each journalist by their balls and no one wants to speak out against the hand that feeds them.
Simple as that!

cgcg

He was sorted that quickly? Disgusting preferential treatment to keep the issue hidden. I think Microsoft are flat out lying at this point. Maybe it is as prevalent as the rrod?

It's pretty obvious it's a problem with LIVE security at this point and not a problem with any third party. It's even more alarming that MS hadn't even bother to implement some simple security measures that can lessen this issue. Then again the problem might be a lot worse and simple things like 2 step authentication can't resolve.

Zomba13

No it won't because it'll just get pushed under the rug. Microsoft has each journalist by their balls and no one wants to speak out against the hand that feeds them.
Simple as that!

Wish it happened to Jeff or someone from GB (not that I wish bad things on him). Jeff seems like one of the most honest game journos out there (I mean the whole Kane and Lynch thing for starters). He'd probably look into it and refuse special treatment or if he was given it be open and honest about how fucked up that is.

There is a chance this is all social engineering (not on the users part, on the parts of customer support etc) but it still needs to be pointed out and MS need to take note. It's seriously ridiculous. I could be stemmed by stopping the whole Gold pack DLC shit for FIFA. There would still be 'hacks' or whatever but probably not on this scale. The reason it's so big is because people can turn these pack things around quickly for real world money and that is EA's fault because of how the system is implemented.

EA and MS need to work together to clamp down on this.

LiK

no podcast about it this month since they recorded for the next two weeks already. but he's writing an editorial which i'll definitely read.

NHale

Stepto reminds me of this guy...

Xw5JG.jpg

sonicmj1

Good news everyone! My account is back in my control, and it only took about a week. Still sucks that I lost it, but having it back sooner is better than later, even if it means I missed my chance to buy Hard Corps for 600 points.

My points haven't been refunded yet (even though it says that they were in the email they sent me informing my account is fixed), so I'll keep an eye on it, and if they aren't back by tomorrow, I'll complain.

Curufinwe

Good news everyone! My account is back in my control, and it only took about a week. Still sucks that I lost it, but having it back sooner is better than later, even if it means I missed my chance to buy Hard Corps for 600 points.

My points haven't been refunded yet (even though it says that they were in the email they sent me informing my account is fixed), so I'll keep an eye on it, and if they aren't back by tomorrow, I'll complain.

Do they remove the Fifa 12 Achievements from your profile?

I'm so paranoid about this shit that I drained my MS Points down to 80 and I'll only add more when there's something I really want to buy. Gone are the days of happily sitting on a 4000 point balance and making purchases with them on a whim.

Rebel Leader

They are waiting for the "no sue" clause to take effect on most if not all XBL accts before going puplic

RPGamer92

Banned
Well it'd be as likely to happen to anyone who has EA Sports games as it was for the old 360 models to RROD.

regs

I just realized how screwed I am if something happens; my account is from 2003 and uses an old adelphia.net email which I no longer have access to. (adelphia went bankrupt after one of the executives spent all of the companies money building a golf course in his yard or something)

I cannot add a phone number, or update an email address without a confirmation email being sent =|

LiK

I just realized how screwed I am if something happens; my account is from 2003 and uses an old adelphia.net email which I no longer have access to. (adelphia went bankrupt after one of the executives spent all of the companies money building a golf course in his yard or something)

I cannot add a phone number, or update an email address without a confirmation email being sent =|
I think you can change it with a phone call instead for those situations.

regs

Can't you log in on xbox.com and change it ?

not without a confirmation email being sent to an address I don't have any longer. Guess it's better in a way. The way this all looks is as if email accounts were compromised and access was gained that way.

I actually started using two gmail accounts, one for personal stuff and one for registration on forums etc. The one I used to register on forums had unauthorized access about a month ago (since have reset all of my accounts and required two step authentication)

lucius

How do you check your purchase history through your 360?

I see download history but that's all, I have done it through the website, but wondering how to do it from the console.

Top Bottom