• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey, has your Xbox Live account been hacked/FIFA'd? Post here!

So after waiting nearly 2 weeks, the MS rep the BBB sent my complaint to finally called me. I was away from the phone for all of 15 minutes after staring at my phone for 2 weeks. Now I have to wait for him to call me all over again. He emailed me a month of Live for an alternate account. Which is nice, I would have appreciated it more back in October when I first called support. Now I've lost interest in using an alt account. I missed all the Xbox game launches, so I'm no longer desperate to get back on Live. Skyward Sword has a hold on me now anyway. And if I get the craving for some multiplayer I just pop in Uncharted 3. So a month of Live for an alt account doesn't mean shit now. I'll just save the code for when (if?) I get my main account back.

And that's good that this UA stuff is getting a spot on the front page of a newpaper. People really aren't talking about this enough. Gamers and press couldn't stop crying and screaming about the PSN hacking/outtage and that wasn't nearly as fucked up really.

Looks like this story might be being picked up by The Sun here in the UK - here's the front page of Tuesday's paper:

lR82D.jpg

http://www.politicshome.com/uk/article/40110/the_sun_tuesday_22nd_november_2011.html

Wow.

Jburton

Banned
Its amazing how little traction this issue is gaining.

All though it is nowhere near the size of issue (in terms of members affected) as the PSN hack ....... certainly more people have had CC fraud committed because of this issue (in fact the amount of live members who have had CC fraud and other losses occur dwarves the amount of PSN users who actually had CC fraud issues due to the PSN hack).

Whether it is EA's fault or MS the fact of the matter remains that it is affecting Xbox live users and Xbox owners.

I await the subsequent attack from speedymanic with statements of denial and shear outrage that MS should have criticisms levelled at them.

Dural666

Neo Member
Copy/paste from another thread about what happenend to me:

My Japanese Account was hacked last weekend. I was playing AC: Revelations when all of a sudden, my LIVE connection was disconnected and when I tried to reconnect, it told me something like my profile informations are wrong and I should sign in with a valid account.
I went on Xbox.com to change my password and after that I used the recover gamertag to get back my account on my console.
Now, it works, but from about ~1700 points, I have about 130 points left, and I saw on my download history, that the sucker bought dlcs for Idol Master 2 (it was even listed as my last playing game), and I don't even own that game. lol

For information, I don't own Fifa 12, but I played the beta of Battlefield 3 once, so maybe its because of that... :/

So. I need a bit of a pointer, GAF.

I just get home from work and my friend asks why I've been on Xbox for half an hour but not responding to my messages.

I check, and lo, I can't log on.

So, I do what was mentioned in these threads, and immediately go to profile recovery. It says password incorrect. Luckily none of the security shit has been changed and I manage to change the password through the website's recover passwords feature and then I kick the offender off by doing a profile recovery.

I check billing.microsoft.com.

There has been no charges, and my existing point balance has not been touched.

I have a large profile, so I imagine I got super lucky and caught the guy as he was downloading that shit and booted him off.

Cycled password, redownloading my profile now.

That said, since none of the balances were effected and none of my information changed, what is my best course of action?

I will of course get my credit card removed from the service. I don't think that number has been compromised, has it? I would hate to do it again but I'd be willing to if I have to.

Basically what I'm asking is should I contact MS and tell them my shit was jacked? I ask because what the fuck do they even do during these "investigations". It sounds like it takes a month for them to reset your password and deal with a bank charge back while they accomplish FUCK ALL.

----------------

For the record:

-Fortunate, caught just as was occurring, no point loss or financial hit.
-Have not called Xbox Support yet.
-Have an EA account, BF3 and NFS: Hot Pursuit being the most recent.
-Passwords unique. Both with minimum of 70 bits of atrophy and are quite resilient.
-Gamertag age is 7 or so years old
-Nothing on resolution yet, as I haven't phoned.

Hate to be a bother, but bumping my story from last page to solicit additional opinions. I am tending to agree with Tomasooie but I'd like other people's input as well.

Thanks.

Seems that the investigation on my missus's account is over. About 4 days shy of 5 weeks. Got given 2 months of XBL (no idea if this will actually work because it's on a family pack).

It appears we've got all the points back.

My son was FIFA'd last week. MS reps acted like they had no idea, even when we provided all the FIFA details. He lost 4000 points we're still waiting to get back.

Jburton

Banned
Ugh, ffs. I'd rather they not bother than get it completely wrong like that.

I mean sure, all the affected users in this thread went to a fake site and put their details in. Fucks sake.

Oh yeah, the reports so far have been nonsense ...... but then again we have no definitive information from MS about what is actually happening.

Without clarification we are only left with speculation ....... which unfortunately leaves those affected to read things like it was their fault etc and so on.

Hanmik

are people here sure that the "hackers" aren´t just using the xbox recovery trick..? 1.000 of youtube videos and websites all detail how "supposedly easy" it is to get another persons gamertag and password. They just spoof the server into thinking he is the user he wants to hack.. I do not know if that stuff works, but LOTS of sites and videos have guides for that shit..

Leucrota

How can I remove my CC so this doesn't happen to me? it is not letting me because my Live membership is still active and under my debit card. When I try to remove it, it asks me for another payment method, even though they already charged me last year for 12 months of membership. It runs out Dec 4th either way and I am not renewing (no monies, hence hwy I dont want to get hacked either).

Zoe

BBC are starting to take notice of this as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/15837971

Geez, no way to comment on that article and tell them how wrong they are?

are people here sure that the "hackers" aren´t just using the xbox recovery trick..? 1.000 of youtube videos and websites all detail how "supposedly easy" it is to get another persons gamertag and password. They just spoof the server into thinking he is the user he wants to hack.. I do not know if that stuff works, but LOTS of sites and videos have guides for that shit..

I have no idea what hacks are out their for Live, but I was wondering if it could be something along those lines. Especially when you have incidents of people getting hijacked more than once in a short period of time.

iceatcs

It is quite obviously something to do Xbox Live only because only happen to xbox tags.

At least, it's on the mainstream news. No matter how correct or wrong about those articles, but it will get MS attention.

bluemax

Banned
Im into my second month of investigation, apparently because I didn't give them my console ID right away they had to restart the investigation. :( Feels bad man.

Yes, this happened to me last week (I posted in the other FIFA'ed thread about my experience)

Details:

- hacked account and bought MS points (2 @ $49.99 and one at $9.99)
- played FIFA on my account
- changed password, CC info etc....called MS but they said it would probably be better/quicker to take it up with my bank
- account hacked AGAIN the following day (1 @ $9.99 & 1 @ $4.99)
-changed EVERYTHING on my account (password, email, security question etc)
- called MS, they would not be able to refund the 1400 points that were in my account unless I opened a claim (thus shutting my account down for 30 days or longer it seems by reports here)
- currently waiting on XBL pre-paid card to come in the mail so I can remove all of my CC info and stick w/ pre-paid cards from now on.
- Also contacted EA and told them to remove my account with them (I will never buy another EA game again-last one was the current Fight Night)

- All in all I lost $30.00 out of pocket - may hit up my Credit Card company for the other $15.00 but have not done so yet. ( Bank refunded the first 3 transactions yesterday)

I didn't pursue it further due to not wanting my account locked out for 30 days, and will remain vigilant in watching my account... I figure the damage is done and they have moved on to someone else now.

Please keep an eye on your accounts and EA account, if you have an EA account I would contact them to have it removed (you cannot unsubscribe online, you have to contact them directly- Bastards!!)

I hope these folks get caught and get sent to PMITA prison for awhile!

Im into my second month of investigation, apparently because I didn't give them my console ID right away they had to restart the investigation. :( Feels bad man.

If you're American get the BBB involved. They should have asked you for during the first call or called you back within the first day or two to ask for any missing info. You shouldn't have to wait longer for their oversight.

They say that they're "working closely" with the affected users.

Anyone here that's been through the process can have a good old laugh at that.

They say that they're "working closely" with the affected users.

Anyone here that's been through the process can have a good old laugh at that.

Well at least mostly everyone at support is extremely polite. Even if I'm disappointed that they can't help me in a timely fashion, all their intense politeness and lip service makes me feel quite optimistic for a few minutes.

bluemax

Banned
Just got an email! After a month and a half I got my account back, my $43.70 refunded and two months of free live! Huzzah!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Oh wow. Jim Sterling. I remember him being such a PSN hacking/outage warrior.

http://www.destructoid.com/the-sun-warns-world-of-xbox-cyber-fraud--216337.phtml

He calls everyone that got attacked a moron. It's real nice to see a games blog fighting for us. :/

I'm pretty sure nobody on Neogaf is giving their info out for top prestige or recon armor, Jim.

Ugh. There has not been a single journalist that has taken this seriously. Even Patrick Klepeck phoned in a shitty article.

shoplifter

So I got my account back today after roughly 30 days, and now I'm seeing an email address "antigoldaccount@hotmail.com" being cc:Ed on billing emails. I can't find this anywhere in my billing profile so I shot MS an email and am waiting to hear back.

Edit: on the plus side the hacker bought Crysis 2 and some other stuff for me!

Oh wow. Jim Sterling. I remember him being such a PSN hacking/outage warrior.

http://www.destructoid.com/the-sun-warns-world-of-xbox-cyber-fraud--216337.phtml

He calls everyone that got attacked a moron. It's real nice to see a games blog fighting for us. :/

I'm pretty sure nobody on Neogaf is giving their info out for top prestige or recon armor, Jim.
Well it's not his fault The Sun are being crap at their jobs. Still, would be nice if he didn't further derp up the coverage of this.

update from the other thread - i just got my points back. everything is back to the way it was.

i managed to turn on profile protection. this is definitely a must.

Top Bottom