• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey, has your Xbox Live account been hacked/FIFA'd? Post here!

test_account

XP-39C²
Speedymanic said:
Why? If they aren't to the source of the breach, why would they need to do this? Normally, you're only forced to do this if you're worried about a security breach...
I dont think it proves much. If Microsoft also does a forced password reset, why would they do this if they arent the source of the breach? :)

test_account said:
I dont think it proves much. If Microsoft also does a forced password reset, why would they do this if they arent the source of the breach? :)

Well that's kind of my point. You only do something as drastic as a password reset if a breach/something has happened that could have led to people's detailed leaking. The fact that they've also specified a date for which accounts will undergo a PW reset is also pretty suspect.

If MS had forced a password reset, it would be safe to assume that there was a breach/leaking of info on their end. I can't think of any other reason for a forced password resent.

EA seem to be trying to cover this by pretending it's for SWTOR, which makes it that much worse and pretty damn underhanded. The way EA (and MS) have handled this very from the day one has stunk. While at least MS came out and said there was no breach on their end (but failed to actually address the problem by introducing further security measures), EA didn't even bother denying a breach/leak, instead they just said that they haven't noticed an increase in any illegal activity of actual FIFA players (note, they don't go into specifics or even mention those who have never played FIFA, much like all of those in this thread and others) and tried to shift the blame to phishers/frauds.

“With the popularity of FIFA globally, and the sheer number of players playing the game online, FIFA is an obvious target for phishers and frauds,” said an Electronic Arts representative to me. “This is why we try to educate FIFA players to take measures to keep their accounts safe.”

"We haven’t seen a spike or increase in reports of FIFA 12 players having their accounts hacked,"

:/

Yeah, I always find that PR answer by EA to be really skirting around the issue. They pretty much deflect the allegation and twist words around to make it seems that it's about FIFA hack, when it's actually Xbox Live account hack.

It's really annnoying that Microsoft is not put any measure in place by now to address this issue even if the breach is not from their end they really need to do something about it. The more people speculate and the longer this problem go on, it will only look bad for them regardless of where the leak is coming from.

FIFA 12 is just a vector by which the hackers can transfer MS points into real cash. I'm not convinced EA are the weak link here - the last time there was a spike in hacking activity, it was stealing the accounts of people who'd been awarded Recon armour for Halo 3. The general feeling then was that it was hackers ringing up MS customer support and somehow tricking them into resetting passwords.

Grecco

AndyMoogle said:
That's pretty big. Hopefully it means that they will add another security layer in the new dashboard update.

They have to, you dont have to recover a gamer tag anymore to use it on another xbox.

This douchebaggey PR period where they try to avoid shit hitting the fan is never not aggrevating. Y'know.
antiquegamer said:
Yeah, I always find that PR answer by EA to be really skirting around the issue. They pretty much deflect the allegation and twist words around to make it seems that it's about FIFA hack, when it's actually Xbox Live account hack.

It's really annnoying that Microsoft is not put any measure in place by now to address this issue even if the breach is not from their end they really need to do something about it. The more people speculate and the longer this problem go on, it will only look bad for them regardless of where the leak is coming from.
There's an Xbox 360 Profile Protection option on your account page that wasn't there previously. Currently doesn't work though. Probably tied to this aforementioned dashboard security update.

Multi-step authentication please. The title indicates it'll only apply to your 360 though, not your Live account, which would be odd.

Joni

BioWare forums were hacked in June. It is not that strange they are asking future SW TOR gamers to change their pass just before the launch of the game.

I really hope I get my account back by the end of the month. I don't want to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, but that seems like the only way to get any actual help and prompt reimbursement.

I wish more people inconvenienced by this would speak up and make noise. Microsoft is getting away with having the slowest investigation ever.

I don't know that I'd say "getting away," my experience was poor enough that I am adjusting my behavior spending money with them from here on out. I can't imagine I'm alone.

test_account

XP-39C²
Speedymanic said:
Well that's kind of my point. You only do something as drastic as a password reset if a breach/something has happened that could have led to people's detailed leaking. The fact that they've also specified a date for which accounts will undergo a PW reset is also pretty suspect.

If MS had forced a password reset, it would be safe to assume that there was a breach/leaking of info on their end. I can't think of any other reason for a forced password resent.

EA seem to be trying to cover this by pretending it's for SWTOR, which makes it that much worse and pretty damn underhanded. The way EA (and MS) have handled this very from the day one has stunk. While at least MS came out and said there was no breach on their end (but failed to actually address the problem by introducing further security measures), EA didn't even bother denying a breach/leak, instead they just said that they haven't noticed an increase in any illegal activity of actual FIFA players (note, they don't go into specifics or even mention those who have never played FIFA, much like all of those in this thread and others) and tried to shift the blame to phishers/frauds.
Yeah, but i was thinking more about the dashboard update that Microsoft is doing. And also that they have that extra security added. Does that mean that there was an issue at their side previously?

As I mentioned in my post earlier, I got hacked last week. I lost some points but have not seen any other suspicious activity. I've changed my password and security question so I doubt they can get me again. I have not called MS just yet. Part of that is because I don't have a ton of time when I get home, part of it is because I know it will result in me not getting the Fall update and not being able to play MW3 online. Is there any problem in waiting? Or should I just go ahead and do it?

Merovin

Looks like I may be joining you all, just signed into my xbox account, and everything is in Russian, Microsoft Points are missing, need to call Microsoft in the morning. :(

test_account said:
Yeah, but i was thinking more about the dashboard update that Microsoft is doing. And also that they have that extra security added. Does that mean that there was an issue at their side previously?

Additional security features aren't really comparable to a forced password reset. They don't imply the same thing.

Additional security measures = trying to make a service more secure.
Forced password reset = trying to make a service secure again after a potential breach/hacking.

And the fact that they were hacked in June and are only now getting round to pushing for a password reset pretty much says it all about EA/Bioware.

Despicable behaviour from EA and MS' response to allow EA to keep running their shitty service on XBL is just as reprehensible.

Tonner Cyn said:
As I mentioned in my post earlier, I got hacked last week. I lost some points but have not seen any other suspicious activity. I've changed my password and security question so I doubt they can get me again. I have not called MS just yet. Part of that is because I don't have a ton of time when I get home, part of it is because I know it will result in me not getting the Fall update and not being able to play MW3 online. Is there any problem in waiting? Or should I just go ahead and do it?
It sucks that we even have to consider this. I know I was contemplating reporting my unauthorized access and points stolen.

But always immediately report when something was stolen from you.

Santini said:
Thankfully haven't been hacked, but after reading all the horror stories in this thread I wanted to take some steps to avoid waking up to someone having FIFA'd my account.

There was an old thread about credit card removal on XBL that pointed to a really useful Reddit article.

That article described how to not only turn off auto-renew but later in the discussion how to also completely remove your credit card from your XBL account (apart from MS keeping it in their own records for historical purposes).

I can confirm that the methods described still work. Auto-renew is turned off for my XBL account, and my CC has also been removed. It's pre-paid cards and codes for me from now on.

I know this won't help those of you who've already been hacked, but for those who haven't--and don't want to spend a better part of their day talking to a MS rep--maybe this will help.

tl;dr - the links above tells you how to turn off auto-renew and remove your CC from your Xbox Live account.

Thanks for posting this, I was going to but ya saved me the trouble of finding/compiling the info. This is how I removed my CC months ago from the shite of MS.

Do this method people, it works, and don't look back!

Az987

all good things
Thanks for posting the link on how to remove your CC info. I Just removed mine, I had to add my paypal account twice because I had 2 cards on there but it worked.

rinker

Doh ... I had the same pw with my ea and xbox account...

Well, fixed that. I didn't have any CC linked to my xbox account so they didn't buy any points, but they did spend all the ones I had, about 2000 worth on the fifa garbage.

I guess I got off easy compared to others, but will MS refund my points? Also any other accounts I should worry about? PSN and steam seem okay even though they use the same email...

Stinkdog

Neo Member
-Date: August 22, 2011

-Damages: 10,000 points were purchased, but never spent. Account region changed to Russian.

-Currently: Account is locked and under investigation.

-EA: Yes, I have an account.

-Passwords: They were different.

-Account age: Xbox Live account since ~2006, EA account since ~2009 or 2010.

-Compensation: I disputed the charges to my credit card through Mastercard instead since MS was dragging their feet on it (and telling me specifically NOT to dispute them <__<). I've been refunded the $130 that was taken out of my account to buy the points. But my account is still locked.

-Four button pass code: no.

I doubt my hack has anything to do with the FIFA fiasco, but it's possible. I stopped the hacker before they could actually buy anything with the points.

The latest email from MS that was in English instead of Russian, said that I have to wait for at least another 30 days for the investigation to finish. This shit is ridiculous.

My account has been under investigation for three months and recently I had an email to tell me that my account location had been switched from South Africa to United States. I live in the UK...

Edit:

-The date it occurred
~ Beginning of August 2011

-Your "damages" (points spent, games played you don't own, etc.)
£70 of points bought and syphoned out of my account. Apparently I've had random DLC bought too

-Your current situation with MS (if your account is suspended, under investigation, etc.)
Under investigation

-If you have an EA account of any kind, or have played any EA games in the past few months
No that I know of

-How old your Gamertag/Live account is, and
3 years old

-Your compensation, and whether it's been resolved or not.
Not resolved, I think I've had my £70 back and so far I've had two 1 month Gold passes to use on a temporary account

-If your security question was changed, and if so, whether the new answer has Chinese characters.
I changed it back so I don't know

NEW: -Did you have the 4-button security pass code enabled for your account? (thanks ukresistance!)
Not that I know of

eissan

-The date it occurred
~ End of September 2011

-Your "damages" (points spent, games played you don't own, etc.)
they bought 6000 points from MS but I was able to retrieve the money through PP

-Your current situation with MS (if your account is suspended, under investigation, etc.)
Under investigation

-If you have an EA account of any kind, or have played any EA games in the past few months
have fifa 11 on PC and madden 12 on 360

-How old your Gamertag/Live account is, and
since the original xbox so over 7-8 years

-Your compensation, and whether it's been resolved or not.
Not resolved, still waiting on MS which is fucking dumb!

-If your security question was changed, and if so, whether the new answer has Chinese characters.
havent checked but will do over the weekend

NEW: -Did you have the 4-button security pass code enabled for your account? (thanks ukresistance!)
Not that I know of

So since I dont have access to live right now can I create a new account and just use that for the meanwhile until they fix my old account and then de-activate live on my old account and move the arcade games to the new account? This is dumb that I cant use a service I paid for and there is no work around!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
rayner said:
It's for keeping your sibblings off of your gamertag :) works only on the console.
That's what I thought...ukresistance said he had to enter it on his friends console though so I'm not 100% sure. Can anyone confirm?

Hanmik

coincidence..?

UDl3c.jpg

EA and this thread same amount of post..? all proof points at EA.. lol...

big_z said:
That's cute. Even if this whole hacking is MS' fault or nobody's fault but my own due to somehow getting phished, I'll still be upset with EA for their Fifa DLC. It's obviously a problem. It's the motivation for the vast majority of these thieves. How have they not fixed this issue?

If EA is leaking account info in addition to their shitty exploitable DLC then I'm not going to be happy with them at all.

Garcia el Gringo said:
That's cute. Even if this whole hacking is MS' fault or nobody's fault but my own due to somehow getting phished, I'll still be upset with EA for their Fifa DLC. It's obviously a problem. It's the motivation for the vast majority of these thieves. How have they not fixed this issue?

If EA is leaking account info in addition to their shitty exploitable DLC then I'm not going to be happy with them at all.

Because there isn't enough pressure on EA.

They'll only take notice when more sites start to report on vids like the one above and point the blame for the current 'hacking' squarely at EA.

Unfortunately, people try their damnedest to muddy the waters and point the blame at MS. It's why nothing's being done by EA, they feel they've gotten away with and are now, quietly pushing a forced password reset when they know the vast majority of gamers and many/all gaming sites will be busy with the bumper Autumn/Winter releases.

Disgusting behaviour from EA and we/gaming sites are all complicit because no-one is raising a stink/fuss/etc about EA's part in this. It's always shitty M$, etc.

test_account

XP-39C²
Speedymanic said:
Additional security features aren't really comparable to a forced password reset. They don't imply the same thing.

Additional security measures = trying to make a service more secure.
Forced password reset = trying to make a service secure again after a potential breach/hacking.

And the fact that they were hacked in June and are only now getting round to pushing for a password reset pretty much says it all about EA/Bioware.

Despicable behaviour from EA and MS' response to allow EA to keep running their shitty service on XBL is just as reprehensible.
While i dont disagree too much with this, resetting passwords is also a way to keep things more secure :) At my mom's old work, there they had to change their password every month as a security messure just to mention one example. I dont know for sure if this is why Bioware does it now, but it is a possibility at least.

But i agree, if MS has the slightest suspicion that it is because of EA, it is weird that they havnt done anything about it. I've seen reports that these types of hacks started months ago. Doing little about something if they might know where the problem is, that isnt very good security either :\ But if there is no proof of where the breach happeneds, then it can be more difficult to do something about it. But hopefully the hacks will stop soon.

The passwords were reset during the Bioware hack by the way. Here is a forum post from around when that hack happened:

"Our investigation shows that information such as user names, encrypted passwords, email addresses, mailing addresses, names, phone numbers, CD keys and birth dates from accounts on the server system associated with Neverwinter Nights may have been compromised. Accordingly, in an abundance of caution, we are emailing those whose accounts were potentially affected and either disabling their forum accounts or resetting their EA Account passwords."

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Bio...BioWare-amp-EA-Account-Holders-7653193-1.html

Well, it says "either", but it shows that passwords were at least in some cases reset. And i'm not sure if this forum is linked to the EA accounts.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Well nearly 2 months after the hack, finally getting my last 4000 MS points refunded.

Know what it took before It was finally done (properly)? I filed a complaint with the BBB. That got Microsoft to respond real quick :p

Zerokku said:
Know what it took before It was finally done (properly)? I filed a complaint with the BBB. That got Microsoft to respond real quick :p
I wish there was something like that in the UK. I can't see Watchdog being particularly interested (nor Microsoft caring).

Zerokku said:
Well nearly 2 months after the hack, finally getting my last 4000 MS points refunded.

Congrats!

People say that they get wonderful help when they file a complaint with the BBB. How was your experience?

1.26 October, 2011
2. All points spent on EA related material
3.Called in TODAY day, account was suspended and was told it would take up to 5 weeks.
4.Have an EA/Origin account, which I had accessed BF3 beta just a week before. Lot's of EA interaction sadly :(
5. EA and Live accounts were same
6.Windows LIVE ID is from before 2006
7.Told it'll take upto 5 weeks

Right now, I went through and changed all related passwords. Let's see what happens.

Tomasooie

Got my account back yesterday. It actually scared me because I was trying to sign in on Xbox.com and my password wasn't working. I thought it was happening again. A few minutes later I get a password reset email and an email from customer support telling me that my password had to be reset, etc.

My account was locked from 10/21 to 11/15, so it wasn't too bad of a wait.

They miscalculated (somehow) the amount they owed me. The email said $10.49, which is what I paid for 800 MS points using my Paypal account a week or two before my account was compromised. That had nothing to do with it. So I called them up, told them that the thief only purchased Premium Gold Packs and Premium Jumbo Packs (the lady laughed when she saw all of them in my billing history) using Microsoft Points, and gave them my calculation of the amount used by the thief -- 3240 points. I was given a wait time of 7-10 business days for the refund, but today I check my email and it's already been done. Pretty speedy. They actually gave me 1200 more than the amount I told them, but I'm not complaining. I also got two months of Gold.

All in all, not a bad customer support experience. It's certainly been much worse for others. Hope you all get your accounts back soon.

Amneisac

-11/15/11
-Emptied about 630 points from my account and bought $30 worth of games
-Account is locked for 25 days while they investigate
-Yes I have an EA account, played FIFA 12 and BF3 lately
-Same password for both accounts
-7 + year old gamertag
-They told me to do a chargeback on my credit card
-Security question was not changed
-No, I didn't have a 4 digit passcode on my account.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I was asked to post this by The Urban Yeti, who's account isn't approved on GAF yet. If anyone else out there is reading the thread and wants to email me, you can contact me here.

-Hacke'd FIFA'd 10/15
-$125 charged to credit card, a bunch of points ($50-$100) that were already on the account.
-suspended, "under investigation"
-Have an EA account, play the same good EA games everyone does, Never touched a sports game.
-No idea if passwords were similar.
-Gamertag is about 6 years old
-no resolution after over 30 days, just filed complain with BBB

Here is what I sent to the BBB:

--begin complain file--

Nature of complaint:

On October 15th, I received emails describing two unauthorized charges to my credit card, the first for $74.99, and the second for $24.99. I received these emails because they were were made with my Microsoft user account. I soon realized that my account had been breeched, so I changed my password for the account, and contacted Microsoft about this issue. In addition to the $125 charged to my credit card, the one who hacked into my account used somewhere between $50-$100 worth of "Microsoft points" which were already deposited into the account.

The Microsoft representative explained to me that I would quickly be refunded the fraudulent $125 charged to my credit card, but that my account would be suspended for "25 days at the most." I was told that, because the hacker who had hacked into my account was based inside the US, it would probably not take very long.

Calling back later that night (10/15), I provided a different rep with some additional information they needed, some serial numbers from my console. This rep echoed many of the same comments. I provided them with an alternate email of which I was told that the investigation team would get a hold of me.

In the 30 days since, not only have I come to discover that MANY other users are experiencing the exact same problem. Most of them with the exact same amount charged to credit card ($125), all with the same motives behind the hacking (Playing a game called FIFA on other peoples accounts to spend real earth dollars on virtual trading cards), and all experiencing the same horrible customer service which seems to only want to punish the customer.

I've not once been contacted, and worse, in finally reaching out to them tonight, the Microsoft rep named Lisa actually had the nerve to insinuate that I heard wrong, at that the investigations take "AT LEAST" 25 days. As far as I can tell, from the 30-40 cases I've heard about from others online, this simply isn't true. I asked if 25 days was the minimum, what the maximum was. She responded that there wasn't one.

Last month, I was assured that, at the very least, Microsoft would refund the $125 charged to my account. Because of the insurance, I didn't file fraud charges with my bank, which would have reversed the charges immediately. Because I was assured, I'm now out $125 for a completely unknown amount of time, for something that wasn't my fault.

On top of everything, I pay $50 a year for the xbox LIVE service, which does nothing for me when my account is locked down for a completely unknown amount of time. It's probably wishful thinking that I'll ever be refunded that lost cost.

What makes me, and everyone else going through this situation so upset is that we are given zero information. To us, it makes no sense why it's taking so long to give us back our money and user accounts. Due to the nature of hacking, it's obvious we are not trying to cheat the system - the hack involves a playing a soccer game, and Microsoft can see in my entire history spanning 5 years, that not only have I not ever played a soccer game, but no sports game of any kind! I hate sports! It doesn't make sense why a bank can fix these types of fraud cases same day but Microsoft is taking months, and lying about the time it will take in the first place.

Further, Microsoft maintains that they are not at fault, that they're security has not been breeched. They can say that, as long as I can say that it's equally not my fault. I don't use bad passwords, I don't click on weird links in weird emails or in weird websites. I've never had any problem like this before in my life. I've never even had a computer virus once. If microsoft is confident that they are innocent and I am confident that I am innocent, then we obviously have an unfortunate situation. However, most unfortunate is how Microsoft is treating it's customers dealing with this.

Here is a thread on a popular message board full of people experiencing this problem.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451055

Desired Settlement Sought:

I would like the $125 of fraudulent charges credited back to my credit card.

I would like the $50-$100 worth of Microsoft points returned to my account balance (It's hard for me to know the exact amount that was taken, I had a large amount that was drained after the hack. The first rep I talked to on 10/15 confirmed the exact number, so Microsoft has a record of how much was taken)

I would like some reimbursement for the time that I am unable to utilize my annual $50-$60 dollar xbox LIVE service.

That's about it for monetary settlements, but also, I would like Microsoft to just be more forthcoming. During this process, I was definitely lied to by the rep called Lisa that I talked to tonight. Further, It's simply NOT REASONABLE to tell your customer, who is out around $200 and not able to use the product that they payed for, that there really is no time table for when their case will be settled. Something like this simply wouldn't be acceptable for any other business I've dealt with, and honestly I'm embarrassed for and expected more from a company like Microsoft.

-end BBB file-

I was playing Halo: Anniversary yesterday and I got disconnected from Live. Couldn't just log back in, I had to recover my profile. Couple hours later it happened again. Then I changed my password and it didn't happen for the rest of the night.

I guess I was gonna get Fifa'd.

So. I need a bit of a pointer, GAF.

I just get home from work and my friend asks why I've been on Xbox for half an hour but not responding to my messages.

I check, and lo, I can't log on.

So, I do what was mentioned in these threads, and immediately go to profile recovery. It says password incorrect. Luckily none of the security shit has been changed and I manage to change the password through the website's recover passwords feature and then I kick the offender off by doing a profile recovery.

I check billing.microsoft.com.

There has been no charges, and my existing point balance has not been touched.

I have a large profile, so I imagine I got super lucky and caught the guy as he was downloading that shit and booted him off.

Cycled password, redownloading my profile now.

That said, since none of the balances were effected and none of my information changed, what is my best course of action?

I will of course get my credit card removed from the service. I don't think that number has been compromised, has it? I would hate to do it again but I'd be willing to if I have to.

Basically what I'm asking is should I contact MS and tell them my shit was jacked? I ask because what the fuck do they even do during these "investigations". It sounds like it takes a month for them to reset your password and deal with a bank charge back while they accomplish FUCK ALL.

----------------

For the record:

-Fortunate, caught just as was occurring, no point loss or financial hit.
-Have not called Xbox Support yet.
-Have an EA account, BF3 and NFS: Hot Pursuit being the most recent.
-Passwords unique. Both with minimum of 70 bits of atrophy and are quite resilient.
-Gamertag age is 7 or so years old
-Nothing on resolution yet, as I haven't phoned.

Tomasooie

If you weren't charged for anything, I don't think you should call. There's really nothing they'll be able to do for you. Just change your passwords and security question.

Scary stuff, I can't remember the last time I played an EA game but I guess I should see if I have a login with them anyway.

Edit: Looks like I do have an account, so I just reset my password for the hell of it. Looks like I've played something called "Battlefield Heroes" in the past along with my copy of The Sims 3 I own for my Mac.

No Xbox Live profiles are associated with the account, however.

Top Bottom