• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim is putting up insane numbers on Steam

dLMN8R

1:42PM EDIT: 226k

Skyrim seems to be breaking records on Steam. Has any other game - Valve game, Call of Duty game, or anything else - done what Skyrim seems to be doing on Steam?

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/?snr=1_4_4__10

11:07AM PST on 11/11:
4gftH.png

1:42PM PST on 11/11
NuOco.png

3:32PM PST on 11/11
Kl1CN.png

10:10AM PST on 11/12
LJInh.png

12:54PM PST on 11/12
Ys21m.png

I created a graph using Steamgraph, and added some commentary, just to provide some more context for how huge this number is.

2hCtS.png

ORIGINAL POST:

Skyrim is a Steamworks game, so this includes all retail purchasers too. The same holds true for the last 3 Call of Duty games as well.

It was already above 100k concurrent users last night, midnight on a weekday, and now it's at 196,000 concurrent players smack-dab in the middle of a Friday. Yeah it's a holiday for some, but I didn't think it's a holiday for most people. I can't imaging what it'll reach over the weekend

It's not the 1-2 million concurrent players of a Call of Duty game on 360, of course, but nothing else is (even on 360). This is still higher than any other game I've ever seen on Steam.

It's matching if not exceeding the concurrent numbers that Battlefield 3 did on PC and 360 at release according to http://bf3stats.com/

Holy crap!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
That's pretty fantastic. It's probably going to skyrocket after 6pm-7pm.

I hope this turns out to be enough to make them regret not including a better PC UI and controls, maybe next time...

Quick menu for PC? Really?

U2NUMB

Paddling Ghost said:
Skyrim is the sort of game that is prone to doing a bit better on PC vs consoles than COD games would. Impressive none the less.

Based on my friends list on Xbox.com... Skyrim is a hit on consoles also.

My friend bought CoD:MW3 he hates it, but I have spent the last 6 hours playing Skyrim, he already played Skyrim more hahaha..

Tobor

Paddling Ghost said:
Skyrim is the sort of game that is prone to doing a bit better on PC vs consoles than COD games would. Impressive none the less.

Not according to Bethesda.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Damn, I'm really starting to become overwhelmed by the hype machine. I'm fighting myself not to buy this right now on Steam. I just know that I won't be able to put much time in it right now and the outlook is not good for time in the future.

Plus I want to wait for some patches since it is a Bethesda game after all. Also the longer I wait the more the mod community has a chance to make some awesome stuff.

Raytow

Awesome lets reward Bethseda for selling us a shoddy console port... and lying through their teeth about said port too.

Venfayth

Ahh this is torture. I played for a few hours last night, but now I'm at work and all I can think about is Skyrim.

Why am I a gamer? :(

Raytow said:
Awesome lets reward Bethseda for selling us a shoddy console port... and lying through their teeth about said port too.

How about we reward them for developing an amazing game?

Derrick01

Banned
198,851 now. Personally I've only seen a few eek over the 100k mark like TF2 when it went F2P and the total players for MW3 since they split it into multi and single. But nothing even close to what Skyrim is at now, I know Deus Ex hit 55-60k earlier this year which I thought then was insane for a single player game.

Rapstah

You can't say it's the middle of a Friday when this is the one game people are staying up around the clock to play. Of course the numbers are high because people are playing it night and day as well as high sales.

dLMN8R

Let's not let this devolve into a stupid PC vs. Console thread, hmm?

It'll definitely be interesting to see how this number changes throughout the weekend. I think it's somewhat reasonable to say that maybe 20-30% of the people who purchased the game are playing right now, and that this concurrent number could easily represent over 1 million sales on PC.

Or I could be totally wrong!

Venfayth

Rapstah said:
You can't say it's the middle of a Friday when this is the one game people are staying up around the clock to play. Of course the numbers are high because people are playing it night and day as well as high sales.

Lol are you trying to take away from the fact that many people are playing this game at the same time by bringing up the argument that it's a good game?

Or are you just trying to mitigate the impact of the statement "the middle of the day friday", which doesn't make sense either because his point is that the numbers are only going to climb for the next half dozen hours or so (which they have been)

Isn't it a bit weird Steam tops the user count around this time? I'd expect the top concurrent users to be around 6PM USA/Midnight EU... But no.

It's gonna be fun to see if Skyrim users playing will still go up from now on.

coopolon

It's pretty awesome that it's not just breaking Steam records by a little bit, it is blowing right through them in the middle of a NA workday.

Rapstah said:
No, not at all! It's just that the time of day is irrelevant because of the amount of people playing it and how time zones work.

I've always assumed most of Steam's user base is in the NA. Is this not true? I guess it shouldn't surprise me that it's not.

Rapstah

Acullis said:
Lol are you trying to take away from the fact that many people are playing this game at the same time by bringing up the argument that it's a good game?

Or are you just trying to mitigate the impact of the statement "the middle of the day friday", which doesn't make sense either because his point is that the numbers are only going to climb for the next half dozen hours or so (which they have been)
No, not at all! It's just that the time of day is irrelevant because of the amount of people playing it and how time zones work.

EDIT: And I missed the significance of the number rising as it gets later for the US I guess.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
still not enough to put some junior ui designer to work exclusively on the pc version for a few months, or a coding intern on mkb input for a week.

Venfayth

Rapstah said:

EDIT: And I missed the significance of the number rising as it gets later for the US I guess.

Gotcha, just kinda made me chuckle, but I mistook your post. All good :)

Rufus

ghst said:
still not enough to put some junior ui designer to work exclusively on the pc version for a few months, or a coding intern on mkb input for a week.
Sigh. Here's hoping that by the time I get my hands on it all these kinks are ironed out, whether by Bethesda themselves (doubt it) or modders.

Interfectum

alphaNoid said:
AAA, high profile game has lots of people playing it on release day, News at 11.

The "news at 11" is that this is one of the highest amount of concurrent users Steam has ever head for any given game.

Hope that helps.

alphaNoid said:
AAA, high profile game has lots of people playing it on release day, News at 11.

When said game pretty much doubles the previous record number of concurrent players then it's noteworthy.

FyreWulff

But gamers told me that you need online multiplayer for a game to sell!

How is a game enjoyable when you aren't getting cussed out by pre-teen racist homophobes!?

Derrick01

Banned
alphaNoid said:

So that's why Skyrim has 100k more playing than anything ever on Steam, it must be the only AAA game on the service! Sheesh Valve start signing some more heavyweights to your service.

Hari Seldon

I ordered the game today, but I'm going to refrain from opening the shrink wrap until I see that the kb/m issues have been resolved.

Chesskid1

Banned
so since it's a steamworks only title they basically sold 300k-400k or so on day 1?

not really insane, but i guess it is for steam?

stuminus3

Banned
coopolon said:
I've always assumed most of Steam's user base is in the NA. Is this not true? I guess it shouldn't surprise me that it's not.
Why would anyone assume this? Aaaaarghh! It's like assuming most people that use the internet are from NA because people on NeoGAF seem to be.

For the record the numbers probably rising steadily because it's actually early evening/late night across Europe right now. The same Europe that features many countries that are huge on PC games. The same Europe that were nuts about janky Western RPG games like Skyrim long before they were popular in NA.

markot

Banned
Chesskid1 said:
so since it's a steamworks only title they basically sold 300k-400k or so on day 1?

not really insane, but i guess it is for steam?
Much more than that, that is only current players.

Instro said:
I think Civ 5 was pretty high when it released, but maybe I am not remembering correctly.

From memory, it was about 40-50K. Angular Graphics mentioned in the main Steam thread that Portal 2 hit over 90K. Football Manager 2012 was pushing 70K earlier in the week and Deus Ex peaked at about 55K or so I think. Aside from when TF2 went f2p, I'm pretty sure only the various CODS have exceeded 100K concurrent players.

Top Bottom