• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim is putting up insane numbers on Steam

Evoga

Great game. Another one in the minority who would love this game to be online when the next game is released.

Reallink

Derrick01 said:
It will probably pass Skyrim because of China alone. But to me it will always have an asterisk by its numbers because its likely to be free to play. What's more impressive, 500k playing a game that 40 million can play at anytime? Or close to 300k playing a game they had to pay $30-$60 for?

Wait, what? How did I miss that, who was selling it for $30? Lowest I was aware of was Newegg's $48. Fuck I got ripped.

Cheech

Buttonbasher said:
I don't really see those crowds overlapping in a major way.

Skyrim ads were on ESPN all week. There is a huge overlap. I'm exhibit A, my buddies are exhibits B, C, and D. Eznark is exhibit E-Z.

kswiston

Reallink said:
Wait, what? How did I miss that, who was selling it for $30? Lowest I was aware of was Newegg's $48. Fuck I got ripped.

30 pounds maybe? Cheapest I saw it for was ~46 on D2D or GMG.

Evoga said:
Great game. Another one in the minority who would love this game to be online when the next game is released.

Judging from the job opening postings on Bethesda's website, it's pretty clear they are working on an MMO, so you will probably be pleased. Not sure if it will be in the ES universe, though.

Zzoram

IIRC Oblivion on PC outsold the PS3 version, but the 360 version sold double the PC version.

PC is a huge part of Elder Scrolls sales no matter what bullshit Bethesda uses to justify their zero effort PC interface. Skyrim almost peaking 300,000 concurrent players the first weekend suggests it sold maybe half a million on PC already assuming not everyone who plays overlapped in time. I suppose it's possible that 360 and PS3 sold a combined 4.5 million opening week but I highly doubt it.

Derrick01

Banned
Buttonbasher said:
I don't really see those crowds overlapping in a major way.

I do. This is a pretty big mainstream game as it's proving on Steam and they're finally showing gameplay ads on ESPN now instead of just the boring live action one.

Maybe not in a major way but definitely some way. It'll obviously affect consoles more than PC since they're just bigger in numbers now.

Derrick01 said:
I do. This is a pretty big mainstream game as it's proving on Steam and they're finally showing gameplay ads on ESPN now instead of just the boring live action one.

Maybe not in a major way but definitely some way. It'll obviously affect consoles more than PC since they're just bigger in numbers now.
Didn't know about the ESPN ad. Yeah I guess you're right.

kswiston

Zzoram said:
IIRC Oblivion on PC outsold the PS3 version, but the 360 version sold double the PC version.

PC is a huge part of Elder Scrolls sales no matter what bullshit Bethesda uses to justify their zero effort PC interface. Skyrim almost peaking 300,000 concurrent players the first weekend suggests it sold maybe half a million on PC already assuming not everyone who plays overlapped in time. I suppose it's possible that 360 and PS3 sold a combined 4.5 million opening week but I highly doubt it.

There is zero chance that 60% of the people who own a game are ever going to be playing concurrently. Especially when we are talking worldwide. Just looking at time zones there is a 6-10 hour difference between parts of North America and Europe depending on where you live. At worst, Skyrim has sold ~1 million on PC. Maybe higher than that. Portal 2 sold 1 million on steam fairly quickly and topped out at about a quarter of what Skyrim hit today.

Salacious Crumb

Zzoram said:

You could probably times that number by 3-4 to get the daily unique users, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Skyrim has sold well over a million on PC at this point.

Portal 2 Sold well over a million on PC and only ever peaked at 100K concurrent users.

This game is insanely good.

I don't know if this is the right comparison that I want to draw, but it feels like the Witcher 2 but open world to me.

But I've been having some weird glitches though... like, the sound when people have been talking has been cutting out and going weird buzzing noises, and I've had times when the textures for certain armour has stopped working all-together and just gone purple / pink instead of the correct textures... ie; the texture file didn't load.

It's weird shit.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Remember when that guy on the Gamespot podcast asked Todd Howard if there was still a place in the industry for huge single player games?

Yeah.

ColonialRaptor said:
I don't know if this is the right comparison that I want to draw, but it feels like the Witcher 2 but open world to me.

Yeah when I was playing last night, it felt like I was playing the original Witcher all over again (not so much Witcher 2 b/c of Witcher 2's graphics and more action oriented combat). The atmosphere feels really similar except Skyrim isn't compartmentalized like the Witcher. The soul of the two games are eerily similar.

frozzted

ColonialRaptor said:
But I've been having some weird glitches though... like, the sound when people have been talking has been cutting out and going weird buzzing noises

You're playing on Windows right? This is what I did and I haven't had any audio issues since:

How do I fix some sound issues, such as hearing static during NPC dialogue?
Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Sound
In the Playback tab, right click on Speakers (or whatever has a green tick next to it), then click Properties
In the advanced tab on this new window, select 24 bit, 44100Hz (Studio Quality) in the drop down menu

Hex

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
I think Skyrim with co-op would be cool.

I think the balance would be impossible to find, it would be far too easy and immersion which is what these games are all about would be tossed to the wayside.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Zzoram said:
Good games sell well on PC.

Too bad we have to wait for mods to get a good UI along with the good game.

Although I'm using an Xbox controller I don't have any problems with the PC's UI. Except for not being able to use KB/M and Controller simultaneously.

the only thing I've ever wanted was to play this game with one other human being. Even if it was local only.

Me and a buddy cooked up some really cool Oblivion co-op scenarios a few years back (thief heists, for example). The series could really benefit from it. I don't want any MMO shit, but even a two player mode would be wicked.

Top Bottom