• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim is putting up insane numbers on Steam

dLMN8R said:
That's after the population stabilizes though. Tripwire said on an episode of the PC Gamer Podcast that their peak concurrent numbers usually represent 10% of the total # unique players throughout the day.

That was after the game had been out for a year or two though. With Skyrim, there's definitely a far higher percentage of the player base playing right now since it's brand new, and Skyrim is also the type of game you'd play for a much longer period of time.

Still though, it wouldn't be at all surprising if the game has sold 500k-1 million on PC already.
Reread what you just wrote. They're taking about percentage of unique players in a single day not percentage of total copies sold.

The game is almost certainly over 2 million on PC.

Yeef

specialguy said:
Counter Strike, PC gamers? Really? It's not 2001 anymore, guys.
"Chess, guys? Really? It's not the sixth century anymore!"

Good games withstand the test of time.

Pretty sure we're being trolled, but I don't care.

theycallmeryan

Neo Member
Skyrim is doing great with its sales numbers! But, you have to take into account that "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3" and "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Multiplayer" are two different games, so add those up to get the concurrent number of users playing MW3. It still isn't close to Skyrim, I'm just pointing that out.

Mrbob

theycallmeryan said:
Skyrim is doing great with its sales numbers! But, you have to take into account that "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3" and "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Multiplayer" are two different games, so add those up to get the concurrent number of users playing MW3. It still isn't close to Skyrim, I'm just pointing that out.

Still doubling MW3 even adding the numbers together. I would call that crushing the game. :D

Oreoleo

Yeef said:

Don't mind him, he's "special."

Emitan

Yeef said:

I heard people still play Go. What losers.

Pimpbaa

ksan said:
That is amazing to see, can't wait to see the Dota 2 numbers once it's released for real.

Most PC gamers don't need the illusion of a new game by just putting a +1 at the end of the title and leaving everything else the same.
Good games are more important :lol

I don't buy that, the same maps, the same guns, the same gameplay for that many years. Those players must be the most boring people on the face of the earth.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Pimpbaa said:
I don't buy that, the same maps, the same guns, the same gameplay for that many years. Those players must be the most boring people on the face of the earth.

Can't blame us for appreciating near-perfection.

Mrbob

Enosh said:
and?
both are great games and are doing great on steam

I'd argue only one game is great.

Skyrim toppling the MW3 beast. I'd say it is a big deal. Especially how it isn't even close. Skyrim is spanking MW3.

Gilby

Could this be a sign the trend of washed-out-military-FPS is winding down, to be replaced with washed-out-FPRPG? I'll take it as such.

coopolon

Gilby said:
Could this be a sign the trend of washed-out-military-FPS is winding down, to be replaced with washed-out-FPRPG? I'll take it as such.

Maybe on PC. On consoles, washed-out-military FPS # 231 is still king.

Durante

270k concurrent should mean 3 times as much sold on PC at least. One day after release. Pretty impressive, and also nice to see that happening for a really deserving game.

dLMN8R

I created a graph using Steamgraph, and added some commentary, just to provide some more context for how huge this number is.

2hCtS.png

Enkidu

Pimpbaa said:
Have you actually played Counter-Strike recently? Do you have any idea how many custom maps and different variations of WC3 servers there are out there? Going from one server to another can be almost like playing another game.

To stay on topic though, that's a lot of people playing Skyrim, let's hope it can cross 300k at some point.

Durante said:
270k concurrent should mean 3 times as much sold on PC at least. One day after release. Pretty impressive, and also nice to see that happening for a really deserving game.

Yeah, we've gotta be looking at 800k-1m PC sales worldwide here already -- and this is a game that's going to keep selling approximately forever on PC.

Raziel

Yeef said:

who the hell plays chess except prodigies and old people in parks?

Durante

charlequin said:
Yeah, we've gotta be looking at 800k-1m PC sales worldwide here already -- and this is a game that's going to keep selling approximately forever on PC.
So, given this data, there's approximately no chance in hell that Todd Howard's "90% of our audience are on consoles" statement is even remotely accurate.

Clevinger

Durante said:
So, given this data, there's approximately no chance in hell that Todd Howard's "90% of our audience are on consoles" statement is even remotely accurate.

Didn't he say that before this game came out? Unless Fallout 3 and Oblivion sold like gangbusters on PC relative to console sales as well.

joezombie

even if there are substantially more more console players, a PC sale should be more lucrative for bethesda then a console sale, possibly even enough to make up the difference in numbers depending on how close they are. Steam cut is way lower then platform holder/retailer, and even for retail PC they can at least cut out the platform holder. Offset by somewhat higher support costs

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
animlboogy said:
This is the kind of reward you get for developing a new, distinct game that has enough time between releases to build excitement. Elder Scrolls releases are fucking EVENTS. CoD is going to crash and burn Guitar Hero/Tony Hawk style within a couple releases, while Elder Scrolls VI is going to be an event, again, in 4-5 years.

Activision should know that better than any publisher out there, so I imagine maximizing short-term sales and betting on getting lucky with another IP down the road must be a part of their plan.
The fire for CoD will burn for a while yet but I do agree, Elder Scrolls are events. They have long legs and growth thanks to mods. Even if buggy on release. Skyrim seems like the least buggy Bethesda game in a while to me and I've read many forums looking for info for the tech thread.

JaseC

animlboogy said:
This is the kind of reward you get for developing a new, distinct game that has enough time between releases to build excitement. Elder Scrolls releases are fucking EVENTS. CoD is going to crash and burn Guitar Hero/Tony Hawk style within a couple releases, while Elder Scrolls VI is going to be an event, again, in 4-5 years.

Activision should know that better than any publisher out there, so I imagine maximizing short-term sales and betting on getting lucky with another IP down the road must be a part of their plan.

Doubtful, seeing as day one sales of MW3 are greater than Black Ops. There's no denying the inevitability of Activision squeezing the final drop from the Call of Duty cow sooner rather than later, but that day is more than 2 years away.

kswiston

JaseC said:
Doubtful, seeing as day one sales of MW3 are greater than Black Ops. There's no denying the inevitability of Activision squeezing the final drop from the Call of Duty cow sooner rather than later, but that day is more than 2 years away.

I'm guessing that COD will continue to dominate until next generation. A couple years into next gen, something else will take over.

amdnv

Durante said:
Well, maybe PS360 sold over 9 million units these past days........ nah, probably not :-D

I almost bought Skyrim yesterday, even went as far as to try to get a physical copy at my local K-mart since I had a $20 coupon. Turns out the store didn't receive any pc versions of Skyrim. After that I almost pulled the trigger in GMG, but decided to wait since I really want to finish Dark Souls.

Maybe by the Steam holiday sale I'll get to play this game.

JaseC

animlboogy said:
The trend doesn't point to things failing just yet, but the memories of the absolute, sudden end to the entire plastic instrument genre are hard to shake. I could see there being literally millions of people who either move on to the next thing or just stop playing shooters like these in the space between even this release and the next one.

Gross overabundance and high cost of entry killed the music instrument genre within two short years. In the eyes of Call of Duty consumers there's only Call of Duty, and the franchise sees one peripheral-free title each year. But we shouldn't be discussing this in a Skyrim thread, so we'll have to agree to disagree. :p

Blutonium

Always good to hear PC games doing well. Going to check out Skyrim PC soon, but right now I'm addicted like a crackjunkie to Dark Souls.

Top Bottom