• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim is putting up insane numbers on Steam

Durante said:
So, given this data, there's approximately no chance in hell that Todd Howard's "90% of our audience are on consoles" statement is even remotely accurate.

None whatsoever.

Clevinger said:
Didn't he say that before this game came out? Unless Fallout 3 and Oblivion sold like gangbusters on PC relative to console sales as well.

Given what (very little) data we have I find it a bit implausible that PC sales worldwide only made up 10% of Fallout 3's totals too.

Jenga

Banned
todd howard should come back and say "90% of our audience are console gamers? Yeah nevermind holy shit i can't contain all dis steam bux!"

Mrbob

I wonder if WB is looking at those skyrim numbers and realizing the mistake they made pushing back the PC version of Batman for pol...err, fight against "piracy". They let Bethesda take all the glory.

Jeff Chen said:
lol true... but still there's gonna be a whole new dimension of fun, and bugs can be patched later ;)

bethesda games wouldnt work well WoW'ified, static worlds that dont change just arent what people want with these games. Which is what they would have to do if the did it, because people are weaksauce and would bitch to high heaven about "griefers".

pestul

whatsinaname said:
Damn!

I also guess these numbers don't include current users playing in offline mode?
(Or is that usually a really small number?)
Good point. It could certainly add 10-15k more. :eek:

Shnookums

That graph doesn't appear to represent the 270,000 properly considering the highest point on the vertical axis is marked as 250,000. Not that this really matters. *OCD*

kswiston

AdventureRacing said:
It would probably make this look like a speed bump.

I doubt it. I think DOTA2 is geared towards hardcore gamers, so it appears like it will be a bigger deal than it really is based on forum hype. It will still sell very well, and I am sure there will be a large and dedicated player base that lasts several years (like TF2 has), but I doubt it will have a concurrent user number that makes 250k look like a speed bump. Nothing in the past has ever come close (including Valve's last few releases, and any of the AAA Steamworks games).

clip

kswiston said:
I doubt it. I think DOTA2 is geared towards hardcore gamers, so it appears like it will be a bigger deal than it really is based on forum hype. It will still sell very well, and I am sure there will be a large and dedicated player base that lasts several years (like TF2 has), but I doubt it will have a concurrent user number that makes 250k look like a speed bump. Nothing in the past has ever come close (including Valve's last few releases, and any of the AAA Steamworks games).

The global DOTA community is massive. It rivals WoW.

Jubbly

kswiston said:

Isn't DOTA2 F2P?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Jubbly said:
Isn't DOTA2 F2P?

There's been no official definitive word just yet, though data mining did uncover evidence of a store, so the current assumption is "yes".

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
kswiston said:

There are 209,324 people playing DotA on Garena right now, and that is just one client. With the right business model, Dota 2 can realistically surpass 1 million concurrent.

Derrick01

Banned
kswiston said:

It will probably pass Skyrim because of China alone. But to me it will always have an asterisk by its numbers because its likely to be free to play. What's more impressive, 500k playing a game that 40 million can play at anytime? Or close to 300k playing a game they had to pay $30-$60 for?

kswiston said:
I doubt it. I think DOTA2 is geared towards hardcore gamers, so it appears like it will be a bigger deal than it really is based on forum hype. It will still sell very well, and I am sure there will be a large and dedicated player base that lasts several years (like TF2 has), but I doubt it will have a concurrent user number that makes 250k look like a speed bump.

DOTA as a Warcraft custom map easily puts most full-fledged multiplayer games to shame with its playerbase. Hell, League of Legends put up a 500,000 concurrency figure, you think DOTA 2 will do worse than that?

VariantX

Jeff Chen said:
Now they should SERIOUSLY consider making this game online. YEAH.

That just takes time and resources away from producing the best possible single player game that they can make. Every game that comes out does not have to include multiplayer, online or otherwise.

kswiston

charlequin said:
DOTA as a Warcraft custom map easily puts most full-fledged multiplayer games to shame with its playerbase. Hell, League of Legends put up a 500,000 concurrency figure, you think DOTA 2 will do worse than that?

Ya, I was forgetting to factor in that it will probably be F2P.

Clevinger

charlequin said:
Given what (very little) data we have I find it a bit implausible that PC sales worldwide only made up 10% of Fallout 3's totals too.

He said "remotely accurate." Of course it's hyperbole. I'm just wondering by how much.

Wonder what happened about half an hour ago- all of a sudden over 500K Steam users went and the Skyrim numbers dropped down to ~255K. Loss of service in a particular region?

kswiston

What is the highest number of concurrent users that steam has ever had (total)? Peaked at 4.62M today. I don't think I have ever seen it that high.

I wonder if Skyrim has introduced 100-200k new people to Steam.

dLMN8R

kswiston said:
What is the highest number of concurrent users that steam has ever had (total)? Peaked at 4.62M today. I don't think I have ever seen it that high.

I wonder if Skyrim has introduced 100-200k new people to Steam.
This is the highest by far. 4.2-something million was the previous high back in October.

There's a thread on the Steam forums with contributions from a Valve employee about the concurrent number of users. 4.62 million is indeed a new record. It's quite interesting reading through and seeing just how quickly Steam's grown not just over the last year, but even the last few months.

kswiston

So considering there are currently no big sales, it is not yet Christmas vacation for schools/universities, and no extremely popular multiplayer game is having a F2P weekend, it is probably safe to say that this 4.6M concurrent user record has been helped out a good deal by the release of Skyrim.

Do you only have to be logged into Steam to be a concurrent user, or do you actively need to have a game running?

Derrick01

Banned
Zzoram said:
It's currently at a new high I think:

Current Peak
284,426 284,426 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

286 now. I didn't actually think it would get to 300 because it was starting to slow down and level off, but now I'm not so sure...

kswiston said:
So considering there are currently no big sales, it is not yet Christmas vacation for schools/universities, and no extremely popular multiplayer game is having a F2P weekend, it is probably safe to say that this 4.6M concurrent user record has been helped out a good deal by the release of Skyrim.

Do you only have to be logged into Steam to be a concurrent user, or do you actively need to have a game running?

Just logged in. Although the numbers playing games have increased enormously over the last 18 months or so.

Clevinger said:
He said "remotely accurate." Of course it's hyperbole. I'm just wondering by how much.

Well, how big of a margin are you giving? I'd already consider 10% vs. 20% to be a pretty huge inaccuracy in this context; for Fallout 3 that'd be the difference between 600k PC sales and 1.2m.

Regardless, it certainly seems like this game is tilting much stronger towards PC than its predecessors, even if you credit it for higher overall sales.

kswiston

charlequin said:
Well, how big of a margin are you giving? I'd already consider 10% vs. 20% to be a pretty huge inaccuracy in this context; for Fallout 3 that'd be the difference between 600k PC sales and 1.2m.

Regardless, it certainly seems like this game is tilting much stronger towards PC than its predecessors, even if you credit it for higher overall sales.

I wonder how much of that is Europe? Medieval fantasy seems to be pretty huge over there on PC. Apparently games like Two World's 2 have shipped 2 million copies. Definitely not thanks to North America.

ZoddGutts

XohvR.jpg

So close to 300k.

f0rk

I don't see it going up on a weekday. If it doesn't break 300k next weekend I don't think it ever will.

Top Bottom