• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you waiting for a 3DS redesign?

pramath

Banned
Well, at this point, it's slightly ridiculous. Allow me to explain.

I have noticed a trend on NeoGAF- every time there is a topic, thread or discussion involving the 3DS, most people inevitably come away impressed (since let's face it, the 3DS has been gaining a lot of momentum lately). However, they always append their statements with 'Okay, I'm buying the 3DS... when the redesign comes out.'

My reaction to this (or similar) statement(s) is always along the lines of 'if you like the games on the system, why not just buy the fucking system?'

There are usually three arguments I hear against buying a 3DS now (and waiting for a redesign). Here, I will address the most popular one, and if the other two are brought up in this thread a lot, I'll get down to tackling those as well.

* Most people are somehow convinced that a 3DS redesign with the second analog nub included is on the way.
This is usually the most popular argument. I'm going to examine this one from every angle.
First, let's actually consider what the Circle Pad Pro (the official name of the second analog attachment) really is- it is a peripheral sold to expand the control inputs on the 3DS. However, because of its nature as a peripheral, every game developer has to assume that not every 3DS owner owns the attachment, and therefore, has to design all its games based on the single analog control scheme, with support for the analog attachment only included as an option. Simply put, no game will require the second analog attachment. All games will be playable without the second analog stick.

But fine, I understand that many of you aren't exactly big on the idea of playing complex 3D games with just one analog stick. Even though the option for other kinds of analog inputs exists via the touch screen and the gyroscope, you either find their implementation patchy, or you just prefer the traditional setup. That makes sense. And in this scenario, you would rather play every 3DS game that supports dual analog controls with dual analog controls. That makes sense too. Finally, in this case, you would rather not carry around a handheld with an unwieldy attachment all over the place. I see your point.

But in this case, you might as well give up on the idea of a 3DS. There won't be a 3DS with the second analog included.

How do I know this? Glad you asked.

Here, let's take a look at the Circle Pad from an angle it's very rarely looked at:

Circle-Pad-7.jpg

Do you see that? Do you notice those?

The attachment is notable in that it adds not only a second analog stick, but also L2 and R2 buttons. What does this mean? This means that, any game that supports the Circle Pad Pro probably also supports the additional shoulder buttons as well.

And now you probably see where I am going with this.

If a 3DS redesign were to incorporate the Circle Pad Pro, it would need not only the second analog stick, but two additional shoulder buttons as well, which would collectively add to the bulk and size of the system immensely. In other words, they wouldn't be included. Which means that the second analog wouldn't be included either, because adding just a part of the attachment is too stupid, even for Nintendo.

But, you might ask, isn't the bulk a moot point since the attachment adds to the bulk of the handheld anyway? No, because the attachment is just that- an optional attachment that is not needed. Nintendo would never needlessly add to the bulk of their actual handheld itself. They're okay with accessories doing that. Just not the actual handheld itself.

And don't use the DSi XL as a counter argument to that point. Come on now, The XL was marketed as a lifestyle product, to be used at home by the elderly. It was never meant as a portable. The 3DS on the other hand, is a dynamic product that is always supposed to be on your person. Nintendo knows that it is fighting for pocket space against smartphones, and it is not about to make the battle any tougher for itself by making its flagship handheld so big that it won't fit into your pocket.

So folks, either you are interested in a 3DS or you're not. If you're planning on sitting out for the time being in wait of a myhtical revision that will incorporate dual analog, well, I hate to break it to you, it'll be a long wait. Like, forever. So if you like the games, pick the system up. If you're that big on dual analog, get the attachment. If you don't want the attachment, try to adjust to mono analog. If you don't want to do that, the system is not for you, and just give up on it. Just don't wait for a successor that will never materialize. That's really annoying.

(There are other, better reasons for waiting for a revision, btw, like the battery life. Those ones are fine, it's actually a good idea to wait for a successor with better battery life if you feel that the 3DS's short battery life will be a problem. That is a legitimate reason. The second analog pad, however, is not).

EDIT: And as it turns out, I may have been right all along.
Nintendo of America just announced that the Circle Pad Pro will be available in North America starting January for $19.99... as a Gamestop exclusive, thus further reinforcing its status as a niche controller expansion accessory that remains OPTIONAL. Anyone hoping that this will become standard in future 3DS models is holding out in vain. If you want dual analog that bad, get the system plus accessory. If you don't want dual analog, just get the system. But there will be no revision where dual analog is standard.

I like the 3DS, but not enough to buy one right now. The redisgn will be cheaper, have a better design, most likely have a better battery life, and by that time the 3DS will have a nice big library of games for me to pick from.

So I'm waiting.

Also avatarquote, op.

pramath

Banned
What was the last Nintendo handheld that didn't get a redesign?

I'm not saying there will be no redesign, nor am I saying that waiting for one is stupid. I am addressing one of the reasons for waiting for the redesign, as well as the expectations from said redesign, both of which are, well, ridiculous. Like I explain in the OP.

There will definitely be a redesign. Better battery life, better viewing angle, better 3D, maybe better aesthetic design as well. Point is, there will be no 3DS redesign with the second analog slider incorporated.

DaBuddaDa

Yes, two reasons:

First, the dual analog/trigger add-on scares me. I want to see if a redesign has those included or not before buying one.

Second, by the time a redesign comes out, there should be more games I'm interested in on shelves.

Very well written post except you are totally wrong. They did it with will motion plus, they will do it again. A redesign would have come anyway but they will not fragment the userbase anymore by not including the add ons the second time around. Many including me think they should have been there to begin with.

(There are other, better reasons for waiting for a revision, btw, like the battery life. Those ones are fine, it's actually a good idea to wait for a successor with better battery life if you feel that the 3DS's short battery life will be a problem. That is a legitimate reason. The second analog pad, however, is not).

You nailed it at the end, after the DS Phat, I've decided that the 3DS redesign is when I'm going to jump. Right now there's no incentive for me to buy yet, so I'm waiting it out. I'm happy with my DS as is.

Darryl

Banned
I just bought the console along with a replacement plan. If the model is replaced within the next 2 years, I can just swap them out.

Orayn

Nope, pulled the trigger a week ago. Come what may, I'm back on portable gaming and everything that comes with it. (Even Frankensticks!)

I like the 3DS, but not enough to buy one right now. The redisgn will be cheaper, have a better design, most likely have a better battery life, and by that time the 3DS will have a nice big library of games for me to pick from.

So I'm waiting.

Also avatarquote, op.

I highly doubt that.

pramath

Banned
Very well written post except you are totally wrong. They did it with will motion plus, they will do it again. A redesign would have come anyway but they will not fragment the userbase anymore by not including the add ons the second time around. Many including me think they should have been there to begin with.

How many games actually required the Wii Motion Plus?
Moreover, how does the Wii Motion Plus threaten the core design of the system?
Like I say in my post, incorporating the second analog attachment in a revision kind of destroys the point of the system- it's supposed to be dynamic, portable, always on your person. Such an expected revision would be too big to fit into your pocket, or so small that the buttons would be unergonomically tiny.

Rokal

My biggest problem with the 3DS (aside from the fact that I don't like the main feature: 3D) is the battery life. So yes, I'm waiting for a 3DS redesign with at least greatly improved battery life. If really also needs to include a second analog stick. I had too many negative experiences with PSP games using only one analog stick to consider buying another system without 2.

Edit: Comparisons to WiiMotionPlus aren't going to be very accurate because WiiMotionPlus was released much later in the system's lifespan, and Wii was already a huge success at that point. Publishers/developers might be more willing to make 2-analog games for 3DS than WiiMotionPlus games for Wii because the majority of the market still hasn't picked one up.

How many games actually required the Wii Motion Plus?
Moreover, how does the Wii Motion Plus threaten the core design of the system?
Like I say in my post, incorporating the second analog attachment in a revision kind of destroys the point of the system- it's supposed to be dynamic, portable, always on your person. Such an expected revision would be too big to fit into your pocket, or so small that the buttons would be unergonomically tiny.

How do you know this?

Delio

So I'm waiting.

Also avatarquote, op.

LOL cheaper. Your so funny.

Tenbatsu

Even with a redesign with a 2nd analog stick, you will not get the same comfort of holding the analog attachment. Win Win situation I guess for both early and late adopters.

pramath

Banned
How do you know this?

Well, assuming the L2 and R2 buttons are triggers (which they seem to be), they would have to be of a certain size, and therefore would add to the base width of the console by that much. Even if they are just buttons and only as big as L1 and R1, they would double the width of the system.

I own a 3DS and I'm waiting for the redesign.

So um... I uh... Shit.

I am too because mine already has some noticeable scratches. If the bottom screen doesn't scratch the top one and the battery life is more acceptable (which is a bit iffy), I'll just cut my losses and trade my current one in.

Please read the OP. If they add the second analog slider, they will also have to add L2 and R2 buttons, and that simply won't happen.

I'm not getting your logic.

Ok, so it won't be cheaper, but it'll be sexier and better.

Well, assuming the L2 and R2 buttons are triggers (which they seem to be), they would have to be of a certain size, and therefore would add to the base width of the console by that much. Even if they are just buttons and only as big as L1 and R1, they would double the width of the system.

Gunna be honest, I think you're talking out of your ass and making shit up to support your argument.

btkadams

the screen-scratching issue and battery life along with nintendo's past make a pretty convincing argument that there will be a revision. regardless of whether or not they add sticks, i think it's pretty likely.

pramath

Banned
My biggest problem with the 3DS (aside from the fact that I don't like the main feature: 3D) is the battery life. So yes, I'm waiting for a 3DS redesign with at least greatly improved battery life. If really also needs to include a second analog stick. I had too many negative experiences with PSP games using only one analog stick to consider buying another system without 2.

Edit: Comparisons to WiiMotionPlus aren't going to be very accurate because WiiMotionPlus was released much later in the system's lifespan, and Wii was already a huge success at that point. Publishers/developers might be more willing to make 2-analog games for 3DS than WiiMotionPlus games for Wii because the majority of the market still hasn't picked one up.

What if, as seems inevitable, the revision also does not have the second analog slider?

BurntPork

Banned

So I'm waiting.

Also avatarquote, op.

What makes you think it'll be cheaper? Nintendo probably won't cut the price again for at least two years, and that's probably optimistic.

Ravidrath

I feel like a 3DS Lite w/ 2nd analog stick is close enough that I should wait.

My general rule is that there need to be three games I want on the system, and that hasn't quite happened yet, so technically I'm not waiting yet.

Orayn

The argument is that it would probably involve changing the form factor too much for it to be a simple hardware revision like the DS Lite. If we see a redesign, I get the feeling it'll be a different shape and size, not unlike the DSi XL.

pramath

Banned

Gunna be honest, I think you're talking out of your ass and making shit up to support your argument.

I am too because mine already has some noticeable scratches. If the bottom screen doesn't scratch the top one and the battery life is more acceptable (which is a bit iffy), I'll just cut my losses and trade my current one in.

And that's okay. I'm just saying, there will not be a revision with an integrated second analog.
Also, what exactly do you think I am making up or pulling out of my ass?

Rokal

I'm not sure if this is actually the case, but it seams like L2/R2 are actually replacements for L1/R1, not additional buttons. From the photo you attached there is no way someone is going to comfortably press L1/R1 with the addon attached. Rather, L2/R2 just moves the buttons into a more comfortable position.

They could release a new 3DS with identical shoulder buttons to the original 3DS and a second analog stick without increasing the size, and this is much more likely.

Boney

Banned
i just wanted it soon so i got it, if people wanna wait, let them wait, if the redesign doesn't fulfill their quota they can get the older model if they so feel like it, or neither.

What's your next thread gonna be?

BurntPork

Banned

So, you don't think that they would need to make the unit bigger to add two more shoulder buttons, a second circle pad, and a bigger battery? What kind of physics have you been learning?

The redesign will have a 2nd analog stick. I'll bet my dick on it.

I know a great surgeon.

Seda

Well....I'm waiting for 2 must-have games (none out so far...probably going to be Paper Mario/Fire Emblem/Kingdom Hearts for me) and hoping there is a redesign out by then.

Ezalc

I'm waiting for better battery life, region free, or the green/steel blue color. Also waiting for Fire Emblem and Paper Mario to get released along with other games that interest me. So I still got a while before that happens, and I have plenty of old PS2, and GCN games I missed out on to tide me over until I decide to buy a 3DS.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I bought a 3DS at launch, I'll still buy a redesign. After buying a DSi XL, I really hope there's a 3DS XL.

Top Bottom