• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ lowers Q3 expectations by 25% on weak uDraw 360/PS3 sales, [Stock Still Tanking]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Update 3:

THQ lost all of the gains they made today from winning their lawsuit and are now below their previous 52 week low.

They are also now worth less than $49.1 million, which is less than Dark Millennium Online's $50 million budget.

thqdying658osb.png

Update 2:

Their newest low is $0.75 as of the edit time of this post, down approximately 5.5%

Their high so far this year was $6.53.

thqih6f2.png

Update:

thqissofuckedg5lgz.png

179296-big_boss_salutz6lry.jpg

--------------------

Anyone have some pocket change? That seems to be what THQ goes for these days.

But uh, seriously this is bad for their continued existence. :(

VG247 said:
Wed, Dec 07, 2011 | 22:13 GMT
THQ lowers Q3 expectations by 25% due to weak uDraw sales on 360 and PS3

THQ has updated its outlook for Q3 2012 ending December 31 by 25%, due to lower than expected sales of its uDraw tablet for PS3 and Xbox 360.

The company now expects to report net sales of $510 million to $550 million.

“Despite uDraw’s strong success on the Wii in fiscal 2011 and market research indicating strong demand for uDraw on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, initial sales of our uDraw tablet and software on these high-definition platforms have been weaker than expected,” said Brian Farrell, THQ president and CEO.

“WWE 12 and Saints Row: The Third are expected to perform at or better than the levels we discussed on our fiscal 2012 second quarter earnings call. As we continue to move through the third quarter, we are focused on driving sales of our key holiday titles and maximizing profitability.”

THQ expects to announce Q3 2012 results in early February 2012, and to provide an update to its Q4 and full year guidance at that time.
Source: http://www.vg247.com/2011/12/07/thq...by-25-due-to-weak-udraw-sales-on-360-and-ps3/

Judging by the extra negative result in after hours, I think this announcement was made after the market closed.

They're still actively imploding so this chart might not be accurate when you read it (in a bad way).

thqdying4tqxo5.png

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I had no idea that uDraw was out in PS3/360. THQ has some promising games in development. I hope they can get them out and bounce back.

george_us

WWE 12 and Saints Row: The Third are expected to perform at or better than the levels we discussed on our fiscal 2012 second quarter earnings call.
Really all I care about from this article. I just pray THQ doesn't take Volition down with them if they collapse.

Ew. THQ hasn't produced or published anything that I liked. Can't even remember a THQ game as I'm typing this.

Wouldn't care if they went under.

market research indicating strong demand for uDraw on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3

What market reaserch? Should have asked me, I could have told them it would have been a bomba.

How is it 2012 and developers still not realize that 1 year late ports NEVER do well?

ESPECIALLY going from GC/Wii ->Xbox/PS

Go ask Sega how well the House of the Dead port on PS3 sold.

patsu

uDraw is a good concept, but it requires platform holder support the way Nintendo does with WiiU.

Also, people would compare it to other touch devices like iPad and Fire.

ymmv

Banned
Ew. THQ hasn't produced or published anything that I liked. Can't even remember a THQ game as I'm typing this.

I want my Darksiders sequel... That was a surprisingly good game. I also liked De Blob 2. I wish THQ would publish more games with that quality.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I feel it's worth noting that, assuming the after hours price is reflected tomorrow, the cost of buying THQ would be notably less than some Take-Two game budgets.

jabuseika

Remember when THQ produced good games?

... me neither...

They also take these huge risks with new IPs that have completely failed, so this doesn't come as a surprise.

Udraw? seriously?

(ok Red Faction Guerilla was good, but then they killed the franchise again with that other linear one)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
“Despite uDraw’s strong success on the Wii in fiscal 2011 and market research indicating strong demand for uDraw on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, initial sales of our uDraw tablet and software on these high-definition platforms have been weaker than expected,” said Brian Farrell, THQ president and CEO."
What kind of market research was that? These games had bomba written on them from start.

ymmv

Banned
BTW I'm not surprisesd the uDraw tablet was an enormous failure on the PS3 and 360. It's a kid's toy. Just look at the (THQ) games that support it:

Pictionary
Dood's Big Adventure
SpongeBob SquigglePants
Kung Fu Panda 2
Disney Princess Enchanting Storybooks
Marvel Super Hero Squad: Comic Combat
uDraw Studio: Instant Artist

You get the impression have absolutely no idea how different the target demographics for the PS360 and Wii are ...

Aegus

Remember when THQ produced good games?

... me neither...

They also take these huge risks with new IPs that have completely failed, so this doesn't come as a surprise.

Udraw? seriously?

(ok Red Faction Guerilla was good, but then they killed the franchise again with that other linear one)

2011. Dawn of War Retribution.

imotep

Neo Member
Did Saints Row 3 do well enough? I'm honestly not sure. It did better than SR2, but is it enough to make back its budget at least?

“WWE 12 and Saints Row: The Third are expected to perform at or better than the levels we discussed on our fiscal 2012 second quarter earnings call. As we continue to move through the third quarter, we are focused on driving sales of our key holiday titles and maximizing profitability.”

In the OP.

Takao

Banned
Funny coincidence, a couple of days ago I was looking to see what happened to SyFy since THQ seemed to be a partner, and was kind of curious about that deBlob animated series. Two years after announcement, there has been a whole lot of nothing out of SyFy Kids...

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Damn shame, I've always enjoyed THQ output. And their upcoming titles interest me just as much : Dawn of War III, Darksiders II, Devil's Third, South Park/Obsiden RPG, and the Warhammer 40000 MMO

If THQ goes down and takes Relic and Volition with them.... there will be many manly tears shed. I could see something bad happening to Relic, as their attempts to go multiplatform haven't gone well.

Wait, is Relic's next title Dawn of War III? I want a new Homeworld or COH game, damnit!

Deadbeat

Banned
Lets look at the games I want from THQ next year:

Metro: Last Light*

*If it hasnt been horribly dumbed down which the developers went into great talks about with the first game getting tons of pressure from THQ to fuck it up.

So yeah it looks like I might buy one game. Hey, at least they didnt crash and burn like Acclaim.

BTW I'm not surprisesd the uDraw tablet was an enormous failure on the PS3 and 360. It's a kid's toy. Just look at the (THQ) games that support it:

Pictionary
Dood's Big Adventure
SpongeBob SquigglePants
Kung Fu Panda 2
Disney Princess Enchanting Storybooks
Marvel Super Hero Squad: Comic Combat
uDraw Studio: Instant Artist

You get the impression have absolutely no idea how different the target demographics for the PS360 and Wii are ...

What audience do you think kinect and move are trying to appeal to?

In the OP.

How the hell did I miss that one? Well, it seems that they live for now then...

Jeez, I know how often the risk of one HD Bomba taking out a publisher is discussed on GAF but who would have seen this one coming? Not that uDraw would bomb on the HD twins, anyone could have called that, but who would have guessed that something like that missing its targets would sink the company?

Takao

Banned
Jeez, I know how often the risk of one HD Bomba taking out a publisher is discussed on GAF but who would have seen this one coming? Not that uDraw would bomb on the HD twins, anyone could have called that, but who would have guessed that something like that missing its targets would sink the company?

THQ hasn't had 1 disappointing HD release, they've had many.

[Nintex]

I continue to be surprised that no one has bought them yet. They're so cheap that it's pretty much impossible to lose money on the deal.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
RoboPlato said:
I had no idea that uDraw was out in PS3/360.

Seconded. And considering I'm pretty sure that I pay more attention to release schedules and happenings than an average punter, that's not a good thing.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

Your loss for missing out on Full Spectrum Warrior, Titan Quest, De Blob, Company of Heroes, Darksiders, WH40k: Dawn of War, Metro 2033, etc... They've published STALKER games, Saints Row games, Red Faction games, King's Bounty games and others too, though some of those depending on the region and platform discussed...

Top Bottom