• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ lowers Q3 expectations by 25% on weak uDraw 360/PS3 sales, [Stock Still Tanking]

Haunted

So nothing...
1322870925128lgbla.gif

You shut your whore mouth, these are solid franchises.

Weenerz

Banned
Please don't close Volition and sell the IP, sell the company to someone that will do them justice. Saint's Row 3 was the shit.

Didn't Space Marine do pretty well?

The franchises they actually promote ended up doing prett well (WWE, Saints Row, Homefront, Space Marine).

Your loss for missing out on Full Spectrum Warrior, Titan Quest, De Blob, Company of Heroes, Darksiders, WH40k: Dawn of War, Metro 2033, etc... They've published STALKER games, Saints Row games, Red Faction games, King's Bounty games and others too, though some of those depending on the region and platform discussed...

I played COH and Metro. In fact your post reminded me to look out for Metro's sequel when (if?) it get's released. Still in my mind THQ is a throw away company. Those other games I missed out on purpose due to lack of interest. It is not "my loss" it is "my choice." Everybody is entitled to an opinion.

DiscoJer

The tablet is a superset of the drawing pad.

You can't display stuff on the drawing pad for example.

The WiiU pad also has other features not common in other tablets (like dual sticks).

Tablets, dating back to at least the C64 days, were devices like UDraw where you draw on it and an image appears on the screen of the device it was hooked up to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_tablet

Only recently (thanks to the iPad) has "tablet" gone from that to meaning a tablet computer

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
uDraw HD is stupid, it's even more expensive than Wacom fun tablets sure there some sort of "drawing games" with it but still not really good idea.

anyway THQ is dying it seems..well hope someone buy and save Volition and Saints Row.

Muzzy

market research indicating strong demand for uDraw on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3

What the ...? They paid some dudes for that info? And I'm sure THQ won't fire the execs who are responsible of this.

Damn, what are they doing, they killed Red Faction, waste money for Homefront's marketing, expecting uDraw to sell well. Now I won't be surprise if Del Toro's InSane never see the light of day, same for Désilets' project, heck same for all of their 2013 titles (another great idea, announcing games that early).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I bet Activision will buy its way to Saint's Row.

They'll bounce back, they always do. Toy Headquarters has been around since 1989. They just need to double down on the games that work for them.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They'll bounce back, they always do. Toy Headquarters has been around since 1989. They just need to double down on the games that work for them.

The problem is that most of those have been failing.

Saints Row is still working, UFC and WWE are declining, but I imagine they're still profitable.

Outside of that, everything successful is so small that I'm not sure it can float everything else.

markot

Banned
Maybe they should hire competent people in management. I know its revolutionary thinking but I think it could be useful.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
If THQ goes down, Microsoft buy Voiltion and the Saints Row IP.

I sure hope not.

Anyways, THQ are one of the least devious of the big publishers, and I appreciate their recent attitude towards the PC, so I hope they can pull through.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I sure hope not.

Anyways, THQ are one of the least devious of the big publishers, and I appreciate their recent attitude towards the PC, so I hope they can pull through.

Yeah would be really sad to see them go under. They're one of the few publishers that actually bother to produce quality PC games/ports.

ibbJx5L1AOQX86.jpg

I'm sitting with the Udraw tablet for 360 right now and it's absolutely horrible. It's a piece of junk that's impossible to use as a drawing tablet because of the input lag, the too short tether, stupid multitouch support that makes drawing with your hand resting on the unit impossible and generally not being a well thought out thing. The included software is weak as all shit as well.

Horrible, unplayable piece of SHIT.

Wow, I didn't even know it was out yet but your description lets me know why.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I bet Activision will buy its way to Saint's Row.

If THQ goes down, Microsoft please buy Volition and the Saints Row IP.

I sure hope not.

Seriously at this point, I will welcome anyone who can buy and save Volition and Saints Row even if it's Activision,Microsoft or EA.

Volition and Saints Row are too awesome and good to die with THQ like this.

pvpness

Man. Weak. One of the only publishers that seems to give a shit about the PC and also houses two of my favorite devs of all time. I am disappoint. I wonder how much they want for Relic and Volition...

markot

Banned
Descent led to Freespace, your argument is invalid.

Invalid?!

RELIC made HOMEWORLD! THE ONLY SPACE GAME WORTH A CRAP!

AND LOL at judging a company from its expansion packs, using that logic, durp!

Warhammer series has been strong, COH is amazing, and we will be getting a new Homeworld soon mark my words!

Relic is to Volition as Great White Sharks are to whale sharks!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Man. Weak. One of the only publishers that seems to give a shit about the PC and also houses two of my favorite devs of all time. I am disappoint. I wonder how much they want for Relic and Volition...

Relic worth nothing to other publishers imho.

But Volition is one of the few Sandbox developers that actually succeeded to enter the GTA closed market, who also have the guys behind Geo-mod 2 and are good at making new engins,so I'd say that Volition studio ( and Saints Row+Red Faction Geo-mod rights) worth more than the entire THQ group for other publishers right now.

markot

Banned
Relic worth nothing to other publisher imho.

But Volition is one of the few Sandbox developers that actually succeeded to enter the GTA closed market, who also have the guys behind Geo-mod 2 and are good at making new engins,so I'd say that Volition studio ( and Saints Row+Red Faction Geo-mod rights) worth more than the entire THQ group for other publishers right now.
So Wrong. Mao Tse Wrong. King Kwrong. Ding Dwrong. Wrongollian beef.

2San

Ah didn't want this to happen to THQ. They always seemed like good people. At least the most likable out of the big publishers.

pvpness

I agree that Volition is the better purchase at this point, but I'll bet somebody could get Relic for what would be a steal considering their pedigree.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
No need to act like THQ is completely dead. Thread is reading like the company went under. I expect Saints Row to sell very well, and with Metro, South Park, Devil's Third, Darksiders 2 and more coming next year they should be fine.

Mindlog

Relic has the Warhammer fanbase locked up. They're easily exploited with cheap to produce expansion packs.

Card Boy

Banned
No need to act like THQ is completely dead. Thread is reading like the company went under. I expect Saints Row to sell very well, and with Metro, South Park, Devil's Third, Darksiders 2 and more coming next year they should be fine.

Isn't Darksiders 2 a 2013 title?

Devil's Third, just reeks of Bomba
Metro 2034 will bomb
South Pack is a DD only title no?

The future is not really looking healthy for THQ in my opinion, they have being publishing bomb after bomb. They can only go even lower from here.

Emitan

THQ, please stop making shitty games. You have several excellent franchises and developers. Please focus on them.

Signed,
someone who knows nothing about running a business

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Isn't Darksiders 2 a 2013 title?

Devil's Third, just reeks of Bomba
Metro 2034 will bomb
South Pack is a DD only title no?

The future is not really looking healthy for THQ in my opinion, they have being publishing bomb after bomb. They can only go even lower from here.

I don't think Darksiders 2 is necessarily guaranteed to be profitable either. Danny Bilson basically stated that Darksiders 1's 1.3-1.4 million copies was not enough, so this game likely has to do 2+ million at a decent average selling point.

I'm pretty sure South Park is a retail title however.

Top Bottom