• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ lowers Q3 expectations by 25% on weak uDraw 360/PS3 sales, [Stock Still Tanking]

pvpness

Are you saying Freespace is an expansion to Descent?
Haha. Glad I'm not the only one who thought that when they first read it. I'm guessing he's talking about COH expansions. Just weird placement.

At least he better have been... *shakes fist*

i wonder if they plan on doubling down on the Wii U next year.

Anyone know their profit breakdown last year on the Wii compared to the other platforms?

Smash88

Banned
Seriously who they hire to do market research? I could've told them for $10 and a happy meal that it wasn't going to work. Come on....

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Hang on guys, you can do it!

I like THQ, and I want them to succeed. Need more western publishers, not less. EA/Acti take too much share of wallet as it is. Need diversity.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I could see Bethesda buying Volition or Relic. They've been trying to make the publishing jump but haven't really had the big name developers for it.

Also, HEY GUYS IM JUST HERE TO POST THAT THQ DUN MAKE NO GOOD GAMES IN THIS THQ THREAD. DAMN IM A REBEL

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I could see Bethesda buying Volition or Relic. They've been trying to make the publishing jump but haven't really had the big name developers for it.

Also, HEY GUYS IM JUST HERE TO POST THAT THQ DUN MAKE NO GOOD GAMES IN THIS THQ THREAD. DAMN IM A REBEL

I feel Warner is more likely overall, since Bethesda only wants 3-4 games a year, and mostly wants them as multiplatform console titles.

lupinko

Remember when THQ produced good games?

... me neither...

They also take these huge risks with new IPs that have completely failed, so this doesn't come as a surprise.

Udraw? seriously?

(ok Red Faction Guerilla was good, but then they killed the franchise again with that other linear one)

?

Saints Row: The Third is easily GOTY-caliber alone.

inky

The writing has been on the wall all these years. I don't expect them to make it to 2013 at all, which sucks for inSANE. Darksiders 2 will probably be the last thing coming out of there, sadly.

Seriously though, THQ makes awesome games, anyone who thinks otherwise is on something.

I forsee even more Saints Row 3 DLC incoming after these lowered expectations though.

?

Saints Row: The Third is easily GOTY-caliber alone.
Gods honest truth right there.

I have said the before and Ill say it again, It makes sense for capcom to buy up THQ and make it its western arm. Don't change too much outside manage its budgets and marketing and you have a winner on your hands.
I was just thinking about which Japanese Publisher would go good with them...I think Capcom Vancouver's 2 upcoming projects might conflict with what they have coming out. (I always think that Capcom and Take 2 would work better) WWE should probably be on the same schedule at UFC (once every two years), and what's messed up is that they SOMEHOW found a way to put out a UFC title this year (the workout)
They just need to trim somethings, because if their games are in NPD top 10 and still not being profitable, something is up internally.

Q8D3vil

I don't think Darksiders 2 is necessarily guaranteed to be profitable either. Danny Bilson basically stated that Darksiders 1's 1.3-1.4 million copies was not enough, so this game likely has to do 2+ million at a decent average selling point.

I'm pretty sure South Park is a retail title however.

they have a chance to reach that number if it was released with wiiu.

Brofist

Seriously though, THQ makes awesome games, anyone who thinks otherwise is on something.
I agree. I'm guessing he was responding to the guy who had to let it be known 3 times that he didn't care if they closed down and that all of their games are trash despite not having actually played them.

Card Boy

Banned
T8ZXb.png

Those THQ shares! Another Nail after losing the publishing rights to the 360 version of Witcher 2.

Hey You

Dear god no. If they even keep the Saints Row IP they'll turn it into some shitty kinect game that'll never see a PC port.
Maybe make it optional in some way, but FRY Not every MS game is kinect required, see Forza and Halo.

Yeah, a PC port is probably unlikely. But I think MS having the Saints Row IP on their console would be a huge draw IMO.

But I'm sure Activision or EA will be first in line to buy whatever THQ has left.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Dear god no. If they even keep the Saints Row IP they'll turn it into some shitty kinect game that'll never see a PC port.

well not really, not all Microsoft games going Kinect.

And honestly someone even like EA,Activision,Microsoft buying Volition and Saints Row IP is better than letting the entire thing die, seriously, if saving Volition and Saints Row mean it will be in hand of "bad" publisher like EA or turn to console exclusives (like if Microsoft got it with the studio) I will take it, it's way better solution than killing the team and the IP forever.

Enkidu

Maybe make it optional in some way, but FRY Not every MS game is kinect required, see Forza and Halo.

Yeah, a PC port is probably unlikely. But I think MS having the Saints Row IP on their console would be a huge draw IMO.

But I'm sure Activision or EA will be first in line to buy whatever THQ has left.
Why do you care if it's a huge draw though? It'll definitely be a negative for gamers since they will now be forced to buy the games on 360 or skip them completely.

Derrick01

Banned
Space Marine is so damn good. Shame not many people bought it.

I bought it for $1 on Onlive and still felt ripped off. Seriously that is the type of game that I would have thought Gaf despised. Extremely linear with narrow paths, 2 button combat ala god of war/dynasty warriors with simple gunplay mixed in. Why do people like this game?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Actually I can't make images fast enough to keep up with this one, so I'll just make a final one in an hour. :lol

M-PG71C

Poor THQ, they have really turned around over the years. And despite the hate, I thought Homefront was pretty entertaining. Its no Freedom Fighters but it fill the void.

That uDraw tablet has demographic appeal for all three consoles. The problem is that it didn't come out for 360/PS3 till almost a year after the Wii debut. They should have either kept it Wii exclusive and continue to market packages or debut all three at the same time.

Honestly, SR3 is the first THQ published game I've bought in years. I was never able to shake this mostly underinformed opinion from back in the SNES days that they only produced shovelware.

In other words, the amount of love I have for SR3 has made an announcement I would have ignored last year go down like a bitter pill today.

Tacitus_

I bought it for $1 on Onlive and still felt ripped off. Seriously that is the type of game that I would have thought Gaf despised. Extremely linear with narrow paths, 2 button combat ala god of war/dynasty warriors with simple gunplay mixed in. Why do people like this game?

Because it's a power trip where you can crush hordes of Orks into fountains of blood, with good graphics and astounding sound.

I mean, just listen to the sound that a bolter makes when it splatters an Ork skull. Absolutely amazing.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I don't think Darksiders 2 is necessarily guaranteed to be profitable either. Danny Bilson basically stated that Darksiders 1's 1.3-1.4 million copies was not enough, so this game likely has to do 2+ million at a decent average selling point.

You know, something's really wrong when 1.3-1.4 million sales is not enough to be profitable. Betting on 2+ million sales for Darksiders 2 sounds like a bucket of tears waiting to happen. Sounds like they need to take a good look at how they produce games - Bad management? Bad business decisions? Too many expensive suits and marketing research department?

beje

Banned

I'm pretty sure South Park is a retail title however.

Well, you would think publishers might reconsider budgets and all that when so many copies no longer make it but I guess I'm wrong. This is what's so wrong about the current gaming industry, where everything must be either AAA or bargain bin fodder.

Well, you would think publishers might reconsider budgets and all that when so many copies no longer make it but I guess I'm wrong. This is what's so wrong about the current gaming industry, where everything must be either AAA or bargain bin fodder.
They need to find more teams like the ones who made Metro. Those games don't cost as much and can be profitable with reasonable sales.

Some people must be really freaking out at THQ right now. Losing almost half your stock value in two days :O

Rocksteady33

Don't you get delisted after a certain amount of time under $1?

Public shares have to be worth something like over $1 million to stay on. Yahoo Finance shows they have 68 million shares, 99% of which are public. Meaning it's still worth about $68 million. So no, they should be fine unless they have to buy shares back from the public.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Public shares have to be worth something like over $1 million to stay on. Yahoo Finance shows they have 68 million shares, 99% of which are public. Meaning it's still worth about $68 million. So no, they should be fine unless they have to buy shares back from the public.

I see. Thanks.

Rocksteady33

I see. Thanks.

But that's just from a market cap perspective. You are right that the NYSE and NASDAQ typically like to see stocks trade at >$1, but if there market cap is still substantial it can give the company leeway from being delisted. I'm sure there's a lot of technicalities and specific situations about it, but I would think a market cap of $65+ million would mean they should be alright for at least awhile. If their stock takes a huge noise dive though and shows little recovery that might be another story.

For example a stock price of .25 cents would have their market cap take a huge hit to $16 million, which could raise red flags to the stock exchange to delist them.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
They'll at least make it until UFC Undisputed 3.... phew... my most anticipated game of Q1.

Top Bottom