• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ lowers Q3 expectations by 25% on weak uDraw 360/PS3 sales, [Stock Still Tanking]

Tiktaalik

I feel Relic is the gem from another era though.

Ensemble was an extremely well regarded developer, but ultimately this didn't save them from getting shut down due to the industry's focus on consoles.

I think you're a bit right, as I have ignored the company since they started doing Warhammer stuff. If you look at their old self made IPs however, Homeworld and Company of Heroes, those were both Game of the Year winners in the PC space. RTS isn't the mega huge genre it once was, but I there's probably still a lot of talent there. I'd love to see them be with a publishing partner that encourages them to create their own IP again.

Lime

Relic bought by Vivendi/Activision Blizzard - forced to develop Starcraft 2 DLC maps, while being managed by the old Sierra executives that bombed Homeworld 2.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
The HD versions of Udraw are selling for $30 each right now on Amazon, down from the $80 MSRP.

Wii version is selling for $50.

pretty funny..and Ubi's Drawsome Wii (udraw clone) is for $60 still ,Guess there is no artists(lol) on the PS360.

Is there even udraw required games on the PS360 like on the Wii? look like the support is lacking outside of the Wii ( only Marvel Super Hero Squad: Comic Combat avalable and it's on 360 and not PS3)

And I just don't know who are the audience on consoles for these tablets (artists? people who can't draw? people think using a stylus is good for playing, Tablet/iOS fans ? people who don't want to buy better drawing tablets? )

pretty funny..and Ubi's Drawsome Wii (udraw clone) is for $60 still ,Guess there is no artists(lol) on the PS360.

Is there even udraw required games on the PS360 like on the Wii? look like the support is lacking outside of the Wii ( only Marvel Super Hero Squad: Comic Combat avalable and it's on 360 and not PS3)

And I just don't know who are the audience on consoles for these tablets (artists? people who can't draw? people think using a stylus is good for playing, Tablet/iOS fans ? people who don't want to buy better drawing tablets? )
Kids who like toys to play with?!

I feel Relic is the gem from another era though.

Ensemble was an extremely well regarded developer, but ultimately this didn't save them from getting shut down due to the industry's focus on consoles.
I suspect through Steam, they will be able to survive even as an independent studio. They should keep their ambitions in check though, I believe.

I think you're a bit right, as I have ignored the company since they started doing Warhammer stuff. If you look at their old self made IPs however, Homeworld and Company of Heroes, those were both Game of the Year winners in the PC space. RTS isn't the mega huge genre it once was, but I there's probably still a lot of talent there. I'd love to see them be with a publishing partner that encourages them to create their own IP again.

Not a lot of people from the 1999-2006 era are still there, I think. HW's art director has left the company a long time ago and founded a new studio. As for the current Relic making a Homeworld or a similiar RTS again, chances are very slim. UberJumper on RN said there's no money in those kind of games anymore. Chances are pretty high we'll probably never again see a new decently budgeted major release like was the case in the heyday. Company of Heroes is much more accessible than a 3-axis space RTS and it didn't sell much. I can only see it working if someone like Valve would want to give them support and funding, but that's grasping at straws at this point really. Or if a RobC's new team makes enough money with their first game and can self-fund and publish games of HW's scope.

Top Bottom