• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 FIFA Club World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is to discuss the Club World Cup, being held in Japan again. The reason this is a new thread is because the odd times means it will get lost in the main soccer thread, which is full of people discussing meaningless european stuff.

In 2010, Inter Milan beat the surprise TP Mazembe (Congo) in the final.

Fifa_Club_World_Cup_Logo_-_2011.jpg

Teams:
Barcelona (Spain)
Santos (Brazil)
Monterrey (Mexico)
Al-Sadd (Qatar)
Esperance (Tunisia)
Auckland City (New Zealand)
Kashiwa Reysol (Japan - host team)

Play-off

Kashiwa Reysol 2 - 0 Auckland City

Quarterfinals
December 10 11pm PST
December 11 2am EST
December 11 4pm Japan

Espérance vs Al-Sadd
1-2

December 11 2:30am PST
December 11 5:30am EST
December 11 7:30pm Japan

Kashiwa Reysol vs Monterrey
1-1
Penalties
4-3

Upcoming Matches

5th Place Match
December 13 11:30pm PST
December 14 2:30am EST
December 14 4:30pm Japan

Monterrey vs Espérance

Semi-finals
December 14 2:30am PST
December 14 5:30am EST
December 14 7:30pm Japan

Kashiwa Reysol vs Santos

December 15 2:30am PST
December 15 5:30am EST
December 15 7:30pm Japan

Al-Sadd vs Barcelona

Al-Sadd beats Espérance 2-1 in a close and exciting game.

Better than I expected anyway.

Kashiwa Reysol vs Monterrey in 45 minutes.

«þ»

what in the fuck

what is a NZ team doing in there

even with the way the regions work

lmao

Didn't a team from PNG make it last year?

Honestly, I think the competition should be structured more evenly, with all conferences given an equal shot at the title.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The real loser of the Clásico was not Real Madrid, but Santos. Barcelona is gonna be motivated as fuck for that match now.

Not a fan of any of the teams. Kinda rooting for Monterrey, but I honestly don't give two shits if they lose in the first round.

I'll be watching Kashima x Monterrey closely to see what my team will be up against.

First Santos game is right on my birthday, so they better deliver or I'll hunt'em down and break their knees. Forever.

The real loser of the Clásico was not Real Madrid, but Santos. Barcelona is gonna be motivated as fuck for that match now.

Not a fan of any of the teams. Kinda rooting for Monterrey, but I honestly don't give two shits if they lose in the first round.

I want Monterrey to win, but mexican teams have done terribly throughout the history of this tournament.

I want Santos to win the whole package.

My bad. Seems like Barcelona sent their best team in 2009. I guess they'll do so again this year.

Everyone sends their best team. When the european team loses, they say they didnt...but its obvious they did (minus a player that was injured or whatever)

xintin

Mazembe was great last year, and I think it would be nice to see someone outside of UEFA win it. Santos maybe? Neymar seemed to be talking up the tourney a bit earlier in the year.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I want Monterrey to win, but mexican teams have done terribly throughout the history of this tournament.

I want Santos to win the whole package.
I don't see how this Santos is going to beat Barcelona. They've been seriously under-performing in the Brasileirao these past months and are too dependent on Neymar and Ganso stringing something -if someone like, say, Universidad de Chile had gone to the tournament there would maybe be a chance for the Catalans not to demolish the competition. I actually think Monterrey can beat Santos.

Kashiwa Reysol's story is pretty awesome. They just got promoted from second division last year and went on to win the J-League this one, earning a place in the CWC.

I don't see how this Santos is going to beat Barcelona. They've been seriously under-performing in the Brasileirao these past months and are too dependent on Neymar and Ganso stringing something -if someone like, say, Universidad de Chile had gone to the tournament there would maybe be a chance for the Catalans not to demolish the competition. I actually think Monterrey can beat Santos.

Kashiwa Reysol's story is pretty awesome. They just got promoted from second division last year and went on to win the J-League this one, earning a place in the CWC.

Well in all honesty, it's fucking Barcelona. They obviously can and will beat anyone.

But it would be nice for Santos to shock them.

I don't see how this Santos is going to beat Barcelona. They've been seriously under-performing in the Brasileirao these past months and are too dependent on Neymar and Ganso stringing something. I actually think Monterrey can beat Santos.

While I don't take the chance of Monterrey (or Kashima for the matter, even if their game is gruesome amateur), Santos under-performed for lack of interest. Seems like a cheap excuse, but when Ganso injured and with the costant selection of Neymar, and sometimes Danilo, and some injuries in and out, Santos slowed down. Maybe that can cost us just as much. But it isn't like Santos was sucking.

And in 2009 even though Barcelona was flying too, it had a tough match against Estudiantes, which by mere comparison player/team, doesn't hold a candle to Santos.

Since this title means to south american teams what Champions League means to Europeans, the motivation helps.

neoanarch

Well in all honesty, it's fucking Barcelona. They obviously can and will beat anyone.

But it would be nice for Santos to shock them.

Santos isn't that good, I mean the struggled in the Brasileirao, and their run in the Libertadores. I mean they struggled against Club America ffs.

I want to see Monterrey in the final. They have to make up for past mexican sides.

This must be a joke right? Just like this competition.

of course its a joke. You're welcome to go back into the soccer thread and keep discussing the clasico for the next week.

Polari

what in the fuck

what is a NZ team doing in there

even with the way the regions work

lmao

Oceania. So it's either going to be us or a team from say New Caledonia or Fiji. Most of Auckland City's players are probably amateurs.

Oh yeah! Kashiwa!

What a weak defense they have, hopefully they'll play against Santos with Kubo isolated in the offense again and this will be a calm match (if Neymar, Ganso and Borges play well that is).

Xena

inb4 i don't have a libertadores.

Even though Corinthiana, and even though Messi is too cute, I will cheer for Santos.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Teams get invited for winning the most prestigious club competition from each confederation.

psilva

Mandatory post from a diehard Santos fan. Yeah, this Barcelona is the best soccer team I've ever seen in my life, but in soccer anything is possible.

Oh, forgot to mention, we have to beat Kashiwa first. Must remain humble.

xbhaskarx

Did Auckland City have to get by the New Zealand team that plays in the A-League? If so why aren't they in the A-League?

Right but the one A-League team based in New Zealand must play in Oceania right? Similar to how the Canadian MLS teams are treated differently from the US-based ones for CONCACAF Champions League?

To win the Oceania Football Championship, Auckland beat Amicale from Vanuatu

Looks like Wellington, which plays in the A-League cannot qualify for the Asian Championship. Not sure if they can play in the OFC or their choice to play in the A-league put them in international limbo. NZ allocates spots to the tournament via the final position in the NZ league...which Wellington obviously isnt part of.

In north america, Canadian teams qualify for the CONCACAF champions league via a tiny canadian tournament (the four teams play each other)

I cant think of another situation in which a team plays in a league thats not just of a different country (there are a few examples, like Monaco) but an entirely different confederation.

evilwart

To win the Oceania Football Championship, Auckland beat Amicale from Vanuatu

Looks like Wellington, which plays in the A-League cannot qualify for the Asian Championship. Not sure if they can play in the OFC or their choice to play in the A-league put them in international limbo. NZ allocates spots to the tournament via the final position in the NZ league...which Wellington obviously isnt part of.

In north america, Canadian teams qualify for the CONCACAF champions league via a tiny canadian tournament (the four teams play each other)

I cant think of another situation in which a team plays in a league thats not just of a different country (there are a few examples, like Monaco) but an entirely different confederation.

It's not across a different confederation, but I'm pretty sure Welsh teams in the English Football system are similarly locked out of European Tournaments. They can't claim the English European places because they aren't apart of the English FA and they can't claim the Welsh places because they don't participate in the Welsh League or Cup. Wellington look to be in the same position.

neoanarch

It's not across a different confederation, but I'm pretty sure Welsh teams in the English Football system are similarly locked out of European Tournaments. They can't claim the English European places because they aren't apart of the English FA and they can't claim the Welsh places because they don't participate in the Welsh League or Cup. Wellington look to be in the same position.

Swansea has history in Europe, and Cardiff and Swansea do participate in the league and fa cups. From my search on wiki.

Thinking about it, the unique ones are actually the Canadian MLS teams. They get their own tournament because theres no canadian league, all pro canadian teams play in US leagues.

What Wellington COULD do is what Puerto Rico Islanders do, which also find themselves in an odd place.

Islanders play in NASL...an american league. BUT Puerto Rico has its own confederation, own "national" team and own league.

The islanders are the best team on the island, and they cant qualify to international tournaments playing in the USA, and it would make no sense to send the best team from the puerto rican league, which isnt as good...

So a new tournament was set up, called Supercopa DirecTV. The islanders join the local teams to compete for a spot in....the CFU Club Championship (Caribbean). Then they must win at that to get to the CONCACAF champions league, and from there, the CWC.

So Wellington would have to convince the other NZ teams to create a new tournament whos only purpose is to send the winner to the Oceania Championship tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom