• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 FIFA Club World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can also tell you why nobody in Holland follows this. It's because no Dutch club ever has, or ever will quality. And that makes us sad. We don't care much about watching quality football between the world's best teams like Barcelona and Santos, we want to watch games where we feel special and included.

Fixed it for you.

Now can you please stop trolling and leave this thread for discussion of the games?

Barca almost up 3-0, but still 1-0

exarkun

Except it (roughly) goes like this:

Champions League
Euro Cup
World Cup
Europa League
Carling Cup
Club World Cup.

I know you said roughly, but putting the WC anywhere but the top is just giving too much power to the draw of the euro/english teams. WC will always be king, then the rest. Club world cup is cool as a side show, but again its just clubs so people don't pay too much attention.

Chuckie

Fixed it for you.

Now can you please stop trolling and leave this thread for discussion of the games?

Barca almost up 3-0, but still 1-0

I am just trying to have a normal discussion about it, trying to give a normal explantion about why this is considered a small tournament and you come with a nice 'fix' of my post. And you dare call me a troll. Do you even know what trolling is?

bjaelke

Barcelona going to end this game quick and save some players. Should be able to make it 3-0 before half time unless they get caught again...
Edit: Or not..
I know you said roughly, but putting the WC anywhere but the top is just giving too much power to the draw of the euro/english teams. WC will always be king, then the rest. Club world cup is cool as a side show, but again its just clubs so people don't pay too much attention.

The problem right now, as I see it, is that the World Cup suffers from FIFA's Fair Play distribution. As a result of that a lot of the group stage games become obsolete and boring. The Euro Cup has a higher concentration of good* teams in comparison - at least for one more tournament.

*World ranking

Adriano 1-0

iVl29d6gL6bul.gif

Adriano 2-0

irOeDIiqGuUh1.gif

neoanarch

The Barca /Santos eventual final should bring some attention to the this competition.

ugh that Villa injury replay looks bad.

The Intercontinental Cup (south america x europe winners) used to be a big deal since the 60's. But if your team never won the Champions League, or barely had the chance, I can see why you'd disregard it. This new format has yet to grow, but it is more representative of the "club world cup" deal.

So if you think Dutch nationals (which completely sucks) is more important than this, you know nothing about football.

Al-Sadd is sadd indeed

Chuckie

The Intercontinental Cup (south america x europe winners) used to be a big deal since the 60's. But if your team never won the Champions League, or barely had the chance, I can see why you'd disregard it. This new format has yet to grow, but it is more representative of the "club world cup" deal.

So if you think Dutch nationals (which completely sucks) is more important than this, you know nothing about football.

Al-Sadd is sadd indeed

Both Ajax and Feyenoord won that Intercontinental Cup you speak off.
I said the Dutch competion is more important for the Dutch, not more important on a global scale. I am sure the Spanish think the Spanish national cup is more important and appealing than this CWC. The French will think the French Competition is more important, the English the English etcetera.

European competitions have been (for a while now) a lot about budget. Dutch teams cannot afford their own players like Sneider, Robben and van Persie anymore. That's on of the reasons it sucks. I still hold their teams in higher regard than an Al-Sadd though.

DominoKid

Barcelona going to end this game quick and save some players. Should be able to make it 3-0 before half time unless they get caught again...
Edit: Or not..

The problem right now, as I see it, is that the World Cup suffers from FIFA's Fair Play distribution. As a result of that a lot of the group stage games become obsolete and boring. The Euro Cup has a higher concentration of good* teams in comparison - at least for one more tournament.

*World ranking

the last world cup blew ass flat out.

not even diego forlan could save it from being one of the WOAT World Cups.

Both Ajax and Feyenoord won that Intercontinental Cup you speak off.
I said the Dutch competion is more important for the Dutch, not more important on a global scale. I am sure the Spanish think the Spanish national cup is more important and appealing than this CWC. The French will think the French Competition is more important, the English the English etcetera.

European competitions have been (for a while now) a lot about budget. Dutch teams cannot afford their own players like Sneider, Robben and van Persie anymore. That's on of the reasons it sucks. I still hold their teams in higher regard than an Al-Sadd though.

Well then you two were discussing about nothing (and so was I). Of course this Cup will be very important to those who have a shot at it. I'll admit that for Europeans in general Champions League is way more important given the difficulty and history. But for those who like football, and know a bit of its history, this club cup is meaningful. Especially when it ends with the South America x Europe dispute.

Barcelona getting careless. Who would've thought.

Also the Dutch league is boss. Last season was phenomenal.

It may be a disputed league, but the top five would fight for the last Champions League spot in the English or Spanish league, maybe it would be a bit easier in Italy and France. Germany is a strange country haha.

---

4 x 0 and Villa may have broken his ankle, damn.

psilva

The Intercontinental Cup (south america x europe winners) used to be a big deal since the 60's. But if your team never won the Champions League, or barely had the chance, I can see why you'd disregard it.

This. Even thought it's not inclusive, I argue that the tournament should have been left they way it was (Europe vs. South America). I know Mazembe beat Internacional last year, and you can use that to argue for the new format, but I'm knowingly being a snob on this one. Look back at the history of the Intercontinental Cup. There were almost always exciting match ups and results.

With the new format, the CWC, the majority of the teams are so unknown that the tournament loses some of its already faint shine. Plus, decades of prestige out the window. Anyways... the only way to stay happy is to keep moving forward and stay positive. There's no reason to fight over this.

Now let's all enjoy Santos x Barca!

Edit: One more thing: the amount of competition, difficulty to win and high level play found in the Champions League AND the Libertadores, I believe, overwhelms that of the other qualifying measures for the new CWC. Not that the other teams 'don't deserve' to be there, but I would just prefer if it were a more tightly kept event.

Now, playing devil's advocate on myself, I would have to argue that if it still were just Europe vs. South America, it would make many feel the way I do when people belittle South American club play.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Villa broke his leg?? Fuuuuucckk, that'll hurt both Barca and possibly Spain in the Euros
lol no. villa has been terrible this season for barça. his recovery should be 6 months so spain should be ok for euros.

then again, that team should crush everyone anyways.

go al sadd!

Socreges

Banned
lol no. villa has been terrible this season for barça. his recovery should be 6 months so spain should be ok for euros.
6 months is sketchy. He might be OK in time for the Euros, he might not. Begins in under 6 months. As weak as Villa has been, I still think his absence hurts both club and country.

AndresON777 said:
then again, that team should crush everyone anyways.
Ehhh I don't know. Torres isn't the same and Villa will be, at best, returning from injury. Months away, but right now I'd pick Germany despite wanting Spain to win it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom