• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE Indie Games - The January 2012 Thread where we await 12/21/12

OnPoint

1xblig_jan2012_header.png

This ended up a rougher month than I initially thought it was going to be. Between the glut of holiday-themed crap and just plain ol' crap, December 2011 is a month I mostly don't want to remember.

We have a whole new year ahead of us, which means we have a whole new year of XBLIG titles to look forward to. Hopefully we get more months like November and the XBLIG bar for quality is raised... though I'm not too sure it will be.

Anyway, raise your glasses and drink to the new year with me.

Go. Play. Enjoy. Tell us what you think! Tell all your friends! Get them to tell all their friends…

(Xbox LIVE Indie Games are available in Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom and the United States. If you’re outside those countries you can still play these games by setting up a Gamertag for free for one of those countries. It’s worth doing.)

1goldaward_xblig.gif

The Gold award, for the absolute best game that came out last month.

1_orbitron_gold.png

The first game that came out in December ended up being the leader of the pack. Orbitron: Revolution was created by our very own Warm Machine, whose time, effort and drive have resulted in one of the most polished games the service has ever seen, and may ever see.

Orbitron is a Defender-style shooter, where you can move left OR right on the circular stage. Using one of two Wipeout-inspired spacecrafts, it's your job to destroy all of the enemies laying siege on your space station, lest you meet your intergalactic end.

There are three unique modes of play -- one of which requires serious skill to unlock. An update to the game (check it out here) fixed a bunch of my issues with the first build I played at the beginning of the month. There's a fantastic soundtrack by the people who did Geometry Wars' music. It's just a fantastic game that really SHOULD have been a 400 or 800 cost XBLA title.

Yes Virginia, there is an OT for the game. Be sure to check it out.

1silveraward_xblig.gif

The Silver award, for games that are incredible, but hey, only one game can be the Gold award winner. In any other month, any of these could have earned it!

1_theybreathe_silver.png

Some games evoke such a strange feeling that you can't help but be sucked in. They Breathe is one of those games. It's among the strangest gaming experiences I've ever had, which is saying something since the gameplay itself is so simple.

You're a frog, and you're diving deep. In order to survive, you'll have to swallow air bubbles Sonic the Hedgehog style. You'll also need to push other frogs into air bubbles so that they can survive long enough to swim away. Be sure to stay away from the sea cows, however, who want to consume your air and steal your brethren to the dark depths of the ocean. It's kind of... unnerving. But it plays well.

=================

1_alienjelly_silver.png

I'm not usually a big supporter of "ripoffs", but Alien Jelly is pretty damned polished. Yes, it's basically just ilomilo with a Mars Attacks coat of paint, but it's another title on the XBLIG service that, like Orbitron before it, could have easily passed for an XBLA title.

It's a block-moving puzzle game. There are plenty of gameplay wrinkles (like multiple characters on one board, teleportation, etc) and hazards to avoid that help keep things interesting. There's also a level editor for the creative types and four-player co-op for people with friends.

=================

1_izombie_silver.png

A zombie game in the silver section? I'm very nearly ashamed to be putting this here on principle alone, but I, Zombie is actually quite clever. You take control of a lone zombie with the need to feed. Your army will grow with every human you infect, the stage ending only when everybody has been converted.

There are civilians and soldiers. The civvies put up no fight, but soldiers require a bit of tricky maneuvering to infect. Once they've been bitten you can heal damage taken from their gunfire by simply standing by them. A nice touch that alleviates what could have been an otherwise game-breakingly frustrating element.

1bronzeaward_xblig.gif

The Bronze Award, not the best games out this month, but every one of these is still either great, or has a really unique aspect to it that more than makes it worth trying.

Let's Get Fiscal is a Streets of Rage style beat-em-up with a potty mouth and a fantastic soundtrack. The cutscenes are super weird, but the game plays pretty darn well.

Ninja Recapture is a sidescrolling action-platformer with an expansive, Metroid-vania gameworld to explore. The background graphics kind of hurt my eyes due to how they scroll and the movement is super floaty, but it's a lot more engaging than I would have thought. Plus, the music is TOTALLY kick ass.

Rainbow Rapture is pretty much Tiny Wings. But it's a lot of fun, which is more than I can say for a lot of what came out this month.

Game Type is a parody of the new Xbox 360 Dashboard with a shooter thrown in. With a bit more work the shooter itself could have been a full-fledged title, As it is, it's a basic, jokey game that plays alright.

Echo Space is like a shooter except you can't shoot. Your ship has a ball of energy connected by a stream of plasma. The ball and stream do damage to enemies, and you can teleport to wherever your ball is located. It's definitely a unique take on a tired genre.

1baduglyaward_xblig.gif

Some games are bad. Really bad. So bad that they don’t even deserve a functioning link to the Xbox LIVE Marketplace. But if you’re in the mood for some punishment, or just want to be reminded how much better the games above are, check these out, last month’s most terrible games.

Zombie Snowmen was developed by sanGames. And I hope they suffer some sort of brain damage that specifically erases any desire they have to ever develop another game again. Fuck you.

North Pole Zombie Massacre is a horrendous first person shooter that makes me want to never play a first person shooter ever again in my entire life. Ghere Game studios, fuck you.

AppPack 2.0 is something like iPhone apps for your Xbox 360. That are only usable in the app. And are wholly and completely useless. Hey RicolaVG, guess what? Fuck you.

Flirt is a game where you can talk to other hot, single people via Xbox Live. Really, Neil Jones? Like the other games, fuck you. Hard.

1_goty_2011.png

Hey GAFfers! Submit your list for your top XBLIG games in this thread and I'll add it here to the OP.

I did a list.

Top 5 Favourite XBLIG Games of 2011:

1. Bloody Checkers
I don't think I have ever played checkers for more than 5 minutes but this is just awesome - addicting, nicely done.

2. Escape Goat
It seems that I instantly fall in love with everything made by MagicalTimeBean because the first single EG screenshot was enough for me to know that I must have this game. And boy, it is pure genius!

3. Sequence
I don't think I have ever saw a better written game on XBLIG (maybe the Zeboyd Games') and the gameplay is just pure genius, combining different genres.

4. Wizorb
Simple, not really original gameplay with beautiful graphics.

5. Cursed Loot
Roguelike RPG at its best.

Yet to be played by me:

Oozi
Blocks That Matter
Alien Jelly

My Top 5 Indie games of 2011

1- DLC Quest
2- Wyzorb
3- Blocks That Matter
4- Escape Goat
5- Speedrunner HD

OnPoint

Gaspode_T

One game that seems to have flown totally under the radar is Lexiv, here is a dev walkthrough...it says in the comments that he wants to port it to PC (I wouldn't doubt that he is aiming for Steam...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7--5G5tMBrs

http://lexiv.com/

I have to say that this might be the nerdiest game ever created, and I feel somewhat compelled to drop money on it just for that reason...or at least I like languages enough to support these word games, and this is a super creative one..

OnPoint

One game that seems to have flown totally under the radar is Lexiv, here is a dev walkthrough...it says in the comments that he wants to port it to PC (I wouldn't doubt that he is aiming for Steam...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7--5G5tMBrs

http://lexiv.com/

I have to say that this might be the nerdiest game ever created, and I feel somewhat compelled to drop money on it just for that reason...or at least I like languages enough to support these word games, and this is a super creative one..

I tried super hard to get into Lexiv, but I just couldn't. It was kind of a pain in the ass to play. It sucks, because I love the concept.

Awesome, as usual, but it would be nice to provide links for the worst games as well :)

There's links to the games in the full list below, if people want to find them with a quick CTRL+F :) Putting the fake links in is one of the most fun parts of making the thread

OnPoint

Also, anyone who wants to put up their list for their top XBLIG titles of the year, I'll put you in the OP. So feel free to list out and provide reasons why so I can put your choices up top.

hitoshi

There's links to the games in the full list below, if people want to find them with a quick CTRL+F :) Putting the fake links in is one of the most fun parts of making the thread

My bad then, I started reading the topic on my phone!

SmallCaveGames

Neo Member
Thanks for this! Good list -

Now that my FIFA hacker problem has run its course, I will need to try Escape Goat and Orbitron. They Breath looks interesting/different too, and I like a zombie game so long as it's also a good game.

This new dash is still giving me the shits however - it's somehow increasing game sales for me - makes no sense.

OnPoint

Thanks for this! Good list -

Now that my FIFA hacker problem has run its course, I will need to try Escape Goat and Orbitron. They Breath looks interesting/different too, and I like a zombie game so long as it's also a good game.

This new dash is still giving me the shits however - it's somehow increasing game sales for me - makes no sense.

How increased are we talking?

All three of those games mentioned in your post are worthwhile :)

SmallCaveGames

Neo Member
How increased are we talking?

All three of those games mentioned in your post are worthwhile :)

It's a "back catalog" game so we're not talking big numbers here, but ~20% more sales in Dec than the prior two months - and conversion went up too. I've heard similar data from other games in the back catalog. (non list, old)

Got a couple projects in the works...we'll see. I think the jury is still out on how it's affecting new releases and top-rated/downloaded.

OnPoint

what happens on 12/21/12?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_phenomenon

Y2K, maaaaaan.

Trivia or Die numbers are up since the new dash. Everything else is still pretty much the same.

I suspect Trivia or Die must be listed as a recommended game for something popular.

For those interested, here's a wrapup of my 2012: http://www.krissteele.net/blogdetails.aspx?id=303

Dude... I can't believe Volchaos is performing that slowly. Still, you nearly doubled your 2010 profits, so not all is lost.

i was thinking it was something indie game related... haha

Dude... I can't believe Volchaos is performing that slowly. Still, you nearly doubled your 2010 profits, so not all is lost.

i checked out volchaos, and it's not a bad game, but there's just not much of a demand for platformers on the service. i have a pretty cool idea for a platformer, but if i end up buillding and releasing it, i'm not expecting it to much sales-wise. i'd be making it more for myself.

on a somewhat related note, i cannot say enough good things about escape goat. it really, really pulled me in. i beat it in one sitting, which is rare for me. i enjoyed that game immensely.

Gaspode_T

I'm still kind of baffled why Volchaos isn't at least pulling in a few thousand sales, it's really fun and only a buck. Have you thought about putting something like first 5 levels up on Kongregate and then putting a splash screen at the end "buy the full game on your Xbox 360 or Indie City"?

I thought the XBLIG convo had died, based on the lack of responses for the last few days.

Then I realized I was still looking at the December thread.

I'm still kind of baffled why Volchaos isn't at least pulling in a few thousand sales, it's really fun and only a buck. Have you thought about putting something like first 5 levels up on Kongregate and then putting a splash screen at the end "buy the full game on your Xbox 360 or Indie City"?

I'm working on a PC version, I'm just not done yet. I'm gonna add a few new levels and a full level editor. Ideally I'd like to get people sharing new levels on my website and then some day release a level pack of the best user created stuff.

When I get the main PC version done, it will be pretty easy to setup a demo / trial version with limited levels. I'm sure you'll be able to find that in a few places.

Phreaker

Congrats to Warm Machine and Obritron: Revolution, excellent game! (I don't know how you got nearly 700,000 in countdown!) I'm sitting at #22 with 162,225.

Congrats to Warm Machine and Obritron: Revolution, excellent game! (I don't know how you got nearly 700,000 in countdown!) I'm sitting at #22 with 162,225.

You need to get your multiplier up. The multiplier drops to 1x if you go 3 seconds without destroying an enemy. Be as efficient as you can destroying enemies, and only pick up cells if they are close enough. Prioritize destroying robots. Also, as you get deep into the waves more stuff comes at you so power shot one side of the group and mop up the other as fast as you can. It is all about using those 3 minutes as quick as you can.

In terms of sales. Orbitron has really, really low sales. Not even four figures yet. Hopefully the update changes things.

In terms of sales. Orbitron has really, really low sales. Not even four figures yet. Hopefully the update changes things.

Sorry to hear that. I'm guessing the two of us are doing pretty close in sales. No fun, hopefully we'll both see better results in the future.

Phreaker

Do you guys know if indie sales are usually slow at the end of the year? I would imagine with all the AAA titles that got release some may not have the inclination to even look at the indie section since they have retail games they haven't even finished.

We've put our XBLIG sales data up as as well, here:
http://zeboyd.com/2012/01/02/zeboyd-games-2010-2011-sales-data/

Easy to see charts:

cstwxblig20102011.png

bodviixblig20102011.png

TL;DR:

BODVII total for 21 months: 56,286 / 80,137 (70.24%)

CSTW total for 12 months and a day: 24,920 / 57,910 (43.03%)

PC version is doing much better though.
Playing through the PC version of Cthulhu right now and loving it. Can't wait for the next game. Playing BODVII on 360 -- liking it too, but not as much.

DGRE

Banned
Woah thanks for the heads up on Lexiv. Definitely seems right up my alley. I'll be trying it in the morning.

OnPoint

Sorry to hear that. I'm guessing the two of us are doing pretty close in sales. No fun, hopefully we'll both see better results in the future.

I think you guys should both take Gaspode's suggestion about putting up trials on websites to try and generate attention. I feel like it might catch the eye of some folks.

I think you guys should both take Gaspode's suggestion about putting up trials on websites to try and generate attention. I feel like it might catch the eye of some folks.

That's the ticket.

It assures people that the dollar or whatever they are about to spend is going towards something good. It's also a great way to drum up some exposure (See: Minecraft). Even if it is a nearly complete project, you'll know before it ships what people do and do not like about it. Patching it after it has gone live, without a beta or something of the sort, does little in terms of sales because your customer base which is already small, is generally unaware of the changes.

A.....distributor of games (I don't think I can mention who at the moment) is currently creating a service which allows devs to launch incomplete works, in an effort to receive feedback. I think it's an excellent idea, and as soon as I finish my prototype (probably never, because I'm slow and incompetent) I'll throw it up there first,

slash000

Zeboyd Games

I'm sorry to hear that as well. Orbitron and Volchaos are two of the best XBLIG games of 2011.

Good luck to you both with future plans, be it another game or another platform, or both.

Do you guys know if indie sales are usually slow at the end of the year? I would imagine with all the AAA titles that got release some may not have the inclination to even look at the indie section since they have retail games they haven't even finished.

Big releases sometimes have an impact on XBLIG sales, but usually it's a minor impact. Usually it has to be a huge, massive AAA release, but the impact is usually short lived. Time of year doesn't really seem to affect overall sales that much. It all boils down to having a good game with positive word of mouth / coverage and a very, very health dose of Dash coverage. The latter being the most important, and the hardest to acquire (long term anyway).

Playing through the PC version of Cthulhu right now and loving it. Can't wait for the next game. Playing BODVII on 360 -- liking it too, but not as much.

Thanks. I'm glad you like CSTW, it was a lot more work and we spent a lot of time tweaking it.

Gaspode_T

Well, I heard from a few friends who have iOS games that the Kongregate trick seemed to help them, but it's more for 2D games because people who like flash games flock to that web site and Volchaos fits more in that vein.

Orbitron is kind of difficult position because it seems hard to convince people to spend $3 on anything these days, maybe if you were able to convince MSFT to throw it in a weekly DOTW special for 80 points it would generate word of mouth (they included Weapon of Choice, Total Miner, a few games over the last 6 months but not that many).

Marketing is like 90% of the battle IMO. The humble bundle things are nice when proceeds go to charity but otherwise they are basically a form of marketing. If people play games and tweet or write about them it goes viral and you stop having to worry about marketing, but until it hits that critical mass you are basically the one with the hot potato in your hands.

Just look at the diff between the iOS thread and these threads, the iOS thread people are talking about sales, free games, recommendations, that's a healthy state of community. It's unfortunate XBLIG is a little bit scattered but on the other hand I've seen OT threads for pretty major games plummet off the face of the earth on this board, also some pretty major XBLA games seem to have not set a spark - Fusion: Genesis for example, it's an amazing game but the OT is buried on something like Page 345 by now.

It is counter intuitive but one thing I would fight for would be the ability to set your game to "Free" for a weekend or something, because people would literally drop everything for something free...and then people who missed out would hear about it and be convinced to go buy it. It would create a lot more people jumping into this thread to comment about games. It seems like it wouldn't be impossible to do as long as you convince that the overall sales would be greater and that it would only be a temporary thing (they probably wouldn't want permanently free games for obvious reason).

Gaspode_T

It's a "back catalog" game so we're not talking big numbers here, but ~20% more sales in Dec than the prior two months - and conversion went up too. I've heard similar data from other games in the back catalog. (non list, old)

Got a couple projects in the works...we'll see. I think the jury is still out on how it's affecting new releases and top-rated/downloaded.

By the way, I just noticed your game appear in my Picks section for the first time today, it's this one right? http://sarcasticgamer.com/wp/index.php/2010/08/sg-review-ophidian-wars-opacs-journey.html

I downloaded the trial, will buy it if it's aged well :)

It is counter intuitive but one thing I would fight for would be the ability to set your game to "Free" for a weekend or something, because people would literally drop everything for something free...and then people who missed out would hear about it and be convinced to go buy it. It would create a lot more people jumping into this thread to comment about games. It seems like it wouldn't be impossible to do as long as you convince that the overall sales would be greater and that it would only be a temporary thing (they probably wouldn't want permanently free games for obvious reason).

Free, sales, bundles, dlc, etc... there is so much more we could do and I'd love to do it. Microsoft doesn't seem to care enough to improve XBLIG, they barely put in the effort these days to keep it running. I don't think they'll kill the service but when the next Xbox comes along, I'm really doubtful XBLIG will be part of the equation.

I had hoped to announce and possibly release something this week but I've been struggling to get performance issues ironed out. Hopefully soon, like this week, and then I can release next week.

YEAAAYUHHHHHHHH:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/xna/archive/2012/01/04/happy-new-year-xbox-live-indie-games.aspx
happy new year, xbox live indie games!

XNA Game Studio Developer Education 4 Jan 2012 12:00 PM 0
Welcome to 2012! We’re eager to see what our developers have in store for Xbox LIVE Indie Games in the coming year and to kick things off we have an exciting announcement regarding some changes to App Hub that make it a good time to be an Xbox LIVE Indie Games developer.

Higher maximum CCGAME size

Since the start of Xbox LIVE Indie Games, CCGAME bundles submitted for Xbox LIVE Indie Games were limited to a maximum size of 150MB. We’ve heard all the great feedback on this subject and today we are pleased to inform you that developers are now able to submit CCGAME bundles up to 500MB through App Hub for publishing on Xbox LIVE Indie Games.

New limit for 80 point games

Another area we’re adjusting today is the requirement that titles larger than 50MB be priced at either 240 or 400 points. After raising our maximum size we’ve decided to also raise this limit. Starting today you can apply the 80 point price to any game with a CCGAME size under 150MB, which is three times the current limit of 50MB.

More titles per developer

The last change affects a fewer number of developers, but we still believe it’s an important update. Originally developers were limited to just eight titles on Xbox LIVE Indie Games. When Creators Club became App Hub, we raised the limit up to ten. We’re happy today to let you know that we’re again raising this limit up to twenty titles per developer.

We’re continuing to watch our developer base and adapt the system to the needs of our creators. We hope you’re all as excited as we are to kick off 2012 with these great updates to the App Hub to enable our developers to make even better content for Xbox LIVE Indie Games. If you have any questions or want to discuss these changes, feel free to post in our forum thread.​

slash000

Zeboyd Games
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/xna/archive/2012/01/04/happy-new-year-xbox-live-indie-games.aspx

Welcome to 2012! We’re eager to see what our developers have in store for Xbox LIVE Indie Games in the coming year and to kick things off we have an exciting announcement regarding some changes to App Hub that make it a good time to be an Xbox LIVE Indie Games developer.

Since the start of Xbox LIVE Indie Games, CCGAME bundles submitted for Xbox LIVE Indie Games were limited to a maximum size of 150MB. We’ve heard all the great feedback on this subject and today we are pleased to inform you that developers are now able to submit CCGAME bundles up to 500MB through App Hub for publishing on Xbox LIVE Indie Games.

Another area we’re adjusting today is the requirement that titles larger than 50MB be priced at either 240 or 400 points. After raising our maximum size we’ve decided to also raise this limit. Starting today you can apply the 80 point price to any game with a CCGAME size under 150MB, which is three times the current limit of 50MB.

The last change affects a fewer number of developers, but we still believe it’s an important update. Originally developers were limited to just eight titles on Xbox LIVE Indie Games. When Creators Club became App Hub, we raised the limit up to ten. We’re happy today to let you know that we’re again raising this limit up to twenty titles per developer.

We’re continuing to watch our developer base and adapt the system to the needs of our creators. We hope you’re all as excited as we are to kick off 2012 with these great updates to the App Hub to enable our developers to make even better content for Xbox LIVE Indie Games. If you have any questions or want to discuss these changes, feel free to post in our forum thread.

edit:

Dave you beat me to it!!!!!

edit2: But I have bold and underlining, so ha!

We've put our XBLIG sales data up as as well, here:
http://zeboyd.com/2012/01/02/zeboyd-games-2010-2011-sales-data/

Easy to see charts:

cstwxblig20102011.png

bodviixblig20102011.png

TL;DR:

BODVII total for 21 months: 56,286 / 80,137 (70.24%)

CSTW total for 12 months and a day: 24,920 / 57,910 (43.03%)

PC version is doing much better though.
This is really interesting. thanks for posting these.

Would you say Breath of Death is a better game that Cthulhu? What do you think are the reasons BoD did better?

slash000

Zeboyd Games
This is really interesting. thanks for posting these.

Would you say Breath of Death is a better game that Cthulhu? What do you think are the reasons BoD did better?

I feel as though Cthulhu did better than BODVII, actually, for a couple of reasons. For one, it generated significantly more revenue than BODVII in reasonably less time.

In 21 months, BODVII generated $56,000 in revenue. In 12 months, CSTW generated $74,000 in revenue. The caveat is that CSTW took much longer to develop.

I believe that CSTW is both the better game (in gameplay, writing, presentation, music, and content), and provides a similarly good value as BODVII. I think its quirky concept and the boost in visibility we had from BODVII helped it a lot as well.

We've learned a lot and are still learning, so we're hoping that our next game is at least as much of an improvement over CSTW that CSTW was over BODVII. :)

slash000

Zeboyd Games
To explain our situation a little better, I graphed our gross revenue for both games.

revzeboydxblig.jpg

CSTW has done decently.

We will have an announcement about it soon though......

slash000

Zeboyd Games
And our announcement is up:

Cthulhu Saves the World celebrates 1-year anniversary with new platforms and price drop on Xbox Live Indie Games version.

In celebration of the game’s one year anniversary on Xbox Live Indie Games and in light of recent improvements made to the Xbox Live Indie Games service, Zeboyd Games is proud to announce a permanent price drop for Cthulhu Saves the World for the Xbox Live Indie Games service to 80 MS points ($1 USD) effective today, January 4th, 2011.

Zeboyd Games is also pleased to announce a partnership with Tinkerhouse Games to bring Cthulhu Saves the World to a variety of new platforms in early 2012 including the iPhone, iPad, Android, and Mac. More details to follow in the coming weeks.

http://zeboyd.com/2012/01/04/cthulh...-price-drop-on-xbox-live-indie-games-version/

little more info in the link

I can't tell if it's Robert or Bill who we're always talking to on here.

Either way, it's certainly exciting news! I'm glad that you'll be able to port it to mobile devices (Where I tend to get most of my gaming done in smaller chunks)

hitoshi

Just came here to post this, I woke up to this news so this day will be good.

On another note, Wario64 made a great topic about the recent changes in the XBLIG policy:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457760

We’re continuing to watch our developer base and adapt the system to the needs of our creators. We hope you’re all as excited as we are to kick off 2012 with these great updates to the App Hub to enable our developers to make even better content for Xbox LIVE Indie Games. If you have any questions or want to discuss these changes, feel free to post in our forum thread.

Top Bottom