• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE Indie Games - The January 2012 Thread where we await 12/21/12

hitoshi

So, I have tried the recently released EchoSpace. I was surprised: I expected an average shooter but it turned out to be quite clever. It's a shump but the twist is that you can not fire directly with your ship. How do you destroy anything then? By controlling your external weapon with the other stick! It goes like this: with 1 analog stick you move your ship freely - with the other, you move your weapon over enemies, destroying them in the process. You constantly have to move both of them in order to survive, especially because there are enemies which can cover most of the screen.

The art style is pretty generic and there are too few types of enemies, but the idea is nice and it only costs 80 MSP.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/Product/EchoSpace/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550a2d

OnPoint

So Evil Quest...

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChaosoftGames

... is pretty cool so far. It's an action RPG in the vein of Secret of Mana where you play the villain instead of the hero. I beat the first boss so far, and I have to say that while the controls are kind of loose, it's the closest approximation we've got to a 16-bit action game like this in quite some time.

Worth a look.

So Evil Quest...

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChaosoftGames

... is pretty cool so far. It's an action RPG in the vein of Secret of Mana where you play the villain instead of the hero. I beat the first boss so far, and I have to say that while the controls are kind of loose, it's the closest approximation we've got to a 16-bit action game like this in quite some time.

Worth a look.

yeah, i downloaded the demo, but haven't gotten to check it out yet. looking forward to playing it though.

wwm0nkey

So Squarebannas is working on an update for Avatar Adventures Online as I was told after I messaged him about the new size limit. Didn't tell me what the update was going to include but I assume its going to be more enemies, textures and environments.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
EvilQuest seems great. Seems like a really full-featured adventure, and the cinematics, music, and overall presentation are pretty well put together, and are aspiring towards greatness. Love the large sprites, even larger bosses, and overall solidarity of it all.

Would also like to bring attention to Lots of Guns, which is quite possibly the closest thing we'll get to a sequel to XBLA's fantastic Rocket Riot for the moment (at least graphically.)

screen3.jpg

screen4.jpg

Easily the first game I've liked from Stegersaurus Games since their co-op Dungeon Crawler "Mega Monster Mania", its a straightfoward affiar (climb a tower, getting new guns as you raise, and... survive as long as you can!) but the presentation is all pretty nice (prototyped in Pixel Animator 3D, it seems), and the various weapons are fun to use (Though I wouldn't mind being able to opt to take a weapon or not. Or upgrades. Upgradeable weapons would have been very welcomed.) The difficulty ramps up well towards the end of the demo playtime, (which might be a bit slower than I'd want it to?), but it's a solid game that would REALLY benefit from leaderboards, though it at least has a built-in "Send score" feature when you end a run.

And Trailer Park King Episode 2 is out, for any who care...

Scott

From what I've played thus far, I think I'd best describe EvilQuest as a "fan-made spiritual successor to Crystalis."

While it's admittedly been ages since I've sat down and played through Crystalis, I've still gotten major flashbacks here from the style of the intro sequence, the controls (4-way directional attacks, slightly floaty), the multi-tiered charge system for attacks (even need to obtain an accessory to use), the area design, etc. It mixes things up a little with the evil/villain angle and adds in some modern design elements (stat-allocation, quest log/journal, mini-map), but the majority of it screams classic 8-bit/16-bit Action/RPG to me.

Gameplay video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzw5e4pi-Ec
Download: http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/EvilQuest/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550a48

Trial even allows for saving/loading so you aren't limited to the 8 minute window, which is nice. Everybody should check it out.

Sean314159

Neo Member
Wanted to mention two specific things about this Episode of Trailer Park King:

1) This Episode is even more in the "Visual Comic" Realm... Love it! Hate it! Were trying to do something different...
2) We designed the game to hit the 80 MS Points (under 50 MB) constant which changed the day before the release...

Box Art
Trailer-Park-King-Episode-2-Box-Art-292x350.jpg

Screen Shots
Trailer-Park-King-Episode-2-Screen-Shot-4.jpg

Trailer-Park-King-Episode-2-Screen-Shot-2.jpg

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7IucsBl0gI&feature=player_embedded

Download
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Trailer-Park-King-Episode-2/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550a4a

slash000

Zeboyd Games
So, after day 1 of our 80 MSP price drop, our sales went from 24 per day (at 240msp) to 220 sales for the day (at 80 MSP).

Last day of sales at 240 MS points = 24 sales
First day of sales at 80 MS points = 220 sales

220 Sales, 96 Trials
Conversion rate = 220 / 96 = 229%

It's only been a day, so it will be interesting to watch and see if our overall revenue remains higher at 80 than it was at 240.

Conversion rate is doing pretty good too! :p

Gaspode_T

There are a bunch of games I skipped over because of 240 price, I can't remember all of them but Alien Jelly is latest example, although I did get Lexiv which I want to write impressions of after I give it more time...

This Lots of Guns game is startlingly close to Super Crate Box which was just ported to iOS but I tried Super Crate Box and is super frustrating with v pad...I tried it and agree it is great but they might get a hard time for being so utterly close...unless it is the same dev or something

EvilQuest is cute, good effort put into it and has the kitsch factor of people having fun while making it

Wow, Lots of Guns certainly has a unique camera perspective. I'll check that out tonight.

Also, we've compiled our GOTY lists at Armless Octopus, and discussed it in 2 parts on the podcast. Wednesday night we gathered Geoff Schutlz and Brooks Bishop from Two Fedoras, and Nate Graves from Gear-Fish to help Mike Wall and I cover all of the XBLIGs. So part 1 is our "serious" look at the XBLIG market, and later today we'll post part 2.

Part 2 we recorded last night with just our staff, and was more of our joking view of the marketplace, but we still had some serious awards as well.

FInally, it looks like Ben Kane (Going Loud Studios) is detailing his progress with porting DLC quest. Interesting read. (Via Two Fedoras)

qupe1975

Neo Member
Alien Jelly is worth the 240pts.

If people like Puzznic, Dice XY was recently reduced to 80pts and has 250 levels I think.

I am not keen on that Lots of Guns, the demo was enough for me. Just don't see me going back to it. It's too simple.

Gaspode_T

Wow Revolver360 is truly amazing, I don't know if Infinite Mode is available in trial but it's pretty awesome, very short stages in waves that get more and more difficult. Definitely worth a pick up for any shooting game fan. I wasn't able to get the network update thing to work, it means there are no other people playing the game at the same time...

Lexiv impressions:

+ Extremely ambitious and deep, definitely XBLA level depth and breadth
+ I love word games and this one is the nerdiest one ever made
+ Game is not easy
+ Better music than expected
+ Fit and finish and polish all over, even the credits was a surprise
- Some choppiness and sluggishness plague the experience, whether you can put up with this highly depends on your personality and patience
- Sometimes the cursor can get lost
- Even with lots of tutorials, it's kind of a steep learning curve

That said, i would easily rank Lexiv in the top 10 "most polished" or professional feeling XBLIG games, if they fixed the choppiness and made it easier to move cursor, it would be pretty much XBLA level.

screenshot4.jpg

hitoshi

So, after day 1 of our 80 MSP price drop, our sales went from 24 per day (at 240msp) to 220 sales for the day (at 80 MSP).

It's only been a day, so it will be interesting to watch and see if our overall revenue remains higher at 80 than it was at 240.

Conversion rate is doing pretty good too! :p

Congrats, totally deserved it. I went on a buying-spree several days ago, starting with Cthulhu:

v70pyb.jpg

After several tries i have finally managed to like Blocks that Matter - it helped that I buyed the full version :)

Gaspode_T

Someone said EvilQuest lets you save and reload even in the trial. The music quality in EvilQuest is a little bit all over the place, the artwork is kind of like that too, that the intro is a little too long would have been good feedback for the devs. (They have a "skip intro?" thing but who would skip it...) The game has some serious effort put into it and it's more unique than the RPG Maker style games.

Hitoshi you are awesome. I went on a little bit of a buying spree too because I cashed in some Bing Rewards points and don't see much on XBLA that interests me right now (and felt like shopping :) )

My pick ups:

Johnny Platform's Biscuit Romp - short and sweet, sound fx are kind of the funny "dev speaks into a mic" type, similar gameplay to Apple Jack.

Ophidian Wars: Opac's Journey - Kind of picked this because it was appearing in Picks, I like the Metroid style exploration, only played for 15 mins or until you get your big first upgrade (glider wings). Technically Grand Theft Froot does this style of game better. If you are a total Metroidvania maniac you might check it out.

REVOLVER360 - Medals, two modes, etc...probably would have been worth $3 but now it's $1 (I guess he was happy about limit increase, game is 62MB so didn't fit in previous 80pt limit)

Rainbow Rapture - Kind of picked this one up after seeing someone tweeting about it, my wife likes Tiny Wings clones and this one seems cute. I think the way challenges are setup is strange and it doesn't seem to have P2P leaderboards.

Lots of Guns - Like another said this game is pretty simple, I don't know how much I will go back to it

Lexiv - See above

I, Zombie - This game, like Oozi by the same devs, frustrates the heck out of me. It's so beautiful, the music is awesome, and yet it misses the point of a casual game by being way too hard. That said, it's good, I just think the difficulty will limit the # of people who buy it. Oozi is not too hard it just lacks some sort of depth while being so frustratingly close to being face melting awesome.

Trailer Park King Episode 2 - Well this got me chuckling even in the trial so it got my $1. I kind of think Freelance Games should push the adventure game aspect of this rather than borderline N17 visual comic, if it's thought of as adventure game people might give it higher ratings. I worry that bitter competing devs are giving it 1 star as is, I mean, gamers aren't likely to all go in and give it low ratings on the day it comes out, I really hope devs aren't doing crap like that :p It's racy but higher quality than the other games of similar style and voice acting of girls is cute to say the least

EvilQuest - See above...basically don't go in expecting XBLA style game or something, expect something created with hand and love and appreciate it for what it is.

Antipole - Pretty simplistic graphics but gameplay is solid, gets interesting after you start using the gravity changer.

Gaspode_T

Looking through the Top Downloads lists literally depresses me, where is Wizorb? Where is Volchaos? Where is Sequence and Escape Goat? Why are these games being beat out by the strangest things I can't even describe? "What is wrong with you people?" is my knee jerk reaction, I mean, obviously the games that are beating out those ones are selling for some sort of reason. Why does Laser Wars and Avatar Paintball sell so consistently for the last 18 months?

It's not just a visibility problem, it really is partly demand of the people who own Xbox and want to play something that's not a retail game but maybe not necessarily the type of games that veteran gamers like us love. If you think your game is not competing with Skyrim or Call of Duty you're wrong, of course it's competing with anything else you can play on a Xbox 360... when someone sits down with the controller in their hand it's their freedom of what to play. From that perspective, you could say that popularity of things like Netflix has a possibility of cannibalizing game interest in general. Popularity of mobile gaming might satiate appetite for simpler games as well. It's a very complicated thing to analyze, it's not as simple as "shove indie games in front of more people and they will buy them in droves".

Steam is very unique, gamers that have been around the block often migrate to PC gaming, grow up to have decent paying jobs and lots of disposable income, like to support creative games and have latched onto Steam with pretty amazing loyalty. But it's a closed platform. It's also going to get saturated sooner or later - the introduction of Free 2 Play games on Steam has been one of their preparations for that fact. If there are 50 indie games worth buying on Steam maybe the love is spread from customers pretty well, but what happens when there are 500 or 1000?

When saturation happened on previous generations I remember it distinctly. I would go into Blockbuster to rent SNES or Genesis games and be like "OMG not another beat em up" and almost lost desire to buy new games all together, it happens in the last year or two where the system is pretty much at its peak. Unfortunately 360 is close to that point now. When will Steam be like that? Never? what sort of technological advancement refreshes the marketplace then? It would have to be "Steam on Tablets" or "Steam on TV" or something like that. That would allow more rounds of indie games to come out and have a fair chance at sales. Steam today seems to be in swing, it would be a great time to release indie games there. What I'm saying is it might get a little tougher and tougher, and they will likely get tougher and tougher with who they accept. It's just the way a marketplace works, Wal Mart doesn't have to accept just any product to put on the shelves they can nearly demand what they want and someone makes it to their specification. MS and Sony do the same thing by requesting specific features to be implemented before they approve games to go onto PSN or XBLA.

wwm0nkey

an End Of Days update is in peer review and apparently they got rid of the lag and took advantage of the extra space by improving graphics and animation.

wwm0nkey

The demo did the game no favors. Is this game actually worthwhile (and why)?

Its not OMFG amazing but its not bad and I actually like the zero aim assist. Though the game did have a lot of issues but in the post on his site he addressed most of the issues and said they where fixed in the update. I dont have a premium membership so I cant try out the newest version so I don't know how much is improved.

Gaspode_T

Someone was asking me if I knew of any good RPGs on xblig, upon thinking about it I realized lots of Jrpg style and a couple rogue likes but no crpg...am I wrong? Would be cool to have might and magic or d&d style games too but I can't think of any

Someone was asking me if I knew of any good RPGs on xblig, upon thinking about it I realized lots of Jrpg style and a couple rogue likes but no crpg...am I wrong? Would be cool to have might and magic or d&d style games too but I can't think of any

Avatar Legends springs to mind as a western RPG. I think there was also some Diablo-ish game a couple years back that I didn't like much but had decent 3D graphics.

Gaspode_T

I thought Avatar Legends is borderline Jrpg but yeah that was what I gave as recommendation...Cthulhu is in the Everyday Value area by the way

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Avatar Legends springs to mind as a western RPG.

I love how Avatar Legends is like a mini-Zelda, or something of the sort. Guess it's at a nice in-between of inspirations, that makes it pretty satisfying to play.

I think there was also some Diablo-ish game a couple years back that I didn't like much but had decent 3D graphics.

Master of Belial - This one should really be due a price drop. I always thought it a pretty interesting game, but there's not many Indies I've ever payed 400 for (Magical Cube was one though... Finally beat it the other day, lol, after 10 hours of play thanks to having to grind to beat some of those bosses!) - It's something of an Action-RPG meets arena-combat game, so not exactly a Diablo clone, which actually makes it a bit fresh.

Dark Delve also deserves some mention, as one of the few first-person perspective RPGs on the service.

Anyone ever play Silent Call 2? I don't remember it even releasing back in early Dec, lol. The most I ever got into oldschool RPGs like that was back in chatrooms on AOL, lol, so I never really grew an appreciation for them...

I do want to go back and get into Aphelion & Aphelion 2 one of these days... Tiny-text was impossible for me to read back then, but now, I could finally get into it...

Gaspode_T

About Lexiv, dev tweeted to me that he doesn't have the issues with stuttering so maybe it is a freak thing or my hdd is fragmented (possible trust me)

The entire Japan shmup community is retweeting the heck out of the Revolver360 price drop news...I was able to sync high scores if anyone needs them I can fire up the game...my score is #471.......apparently to get high you have to cancel bullets with laser shot and then rotate enemies together

qupe1975

Neo Member
About Lexiv, dev tweeted to me that he doesn't have the issues with stuttering so maybe it is a freak thing or my hdd is fragmented (possible trust me)

I had major stuttering with the trial, put me off buying it. I will try it again tomorrow.

Has anyone tried Eyestorm I want to know how that text passed peer review, it's so bleeding small? The demo was hideous, slow loading, had no idea what I was doing, but this is another game I am going to give another go as I am hoping the game could be good. It looks polished.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8stRCmMA30

I also really enjoyed Doom and Destiny, which was featured in the Summer Uprising.

Gaspode_T

Leave Home is amazing...I can't believe I went so long without this one

I would compare it to Space Invaders Infinity Gene or Groove Coaster in style

Got word from the dev of Evil Quest that they're working on a patch that will include a shorter intro. I liked the intro itself as is, but because of XBLIG limitations, I never made it to the game itself. It's probably a good idea to shorten the intro and get people playing because I'm likely not the only person to run into this.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Got word from the dev of Evil Quest that they're working on a patch that will include a shorter intro. I liked the intro itself as is, but because of XBLIG limitations, I never made it to the game itself. It's probably a good idea to shorten the intro and get people playing because I'm likely not the only person to run into this.

I really liked the intro. Make the game feel more developed. But if he just cuts down on some of the fight portion and all, I guess it won't be too bad.

He did the right thing by including a "Skip Intro", though, and it's not like you can't reboot the game, skip the intro, and get a full new time to play again...

Dave Long

Banned
Um, is it just my Xbox or is everyone only seeing about 58 games in the list of Indie games right now? It's like everything from before January isn't available. I wanted to try some of last month's top games and I can't even get to them with search from my 360.

Has Microsoft borked the entire channel?

Scott

Still seeing everything here, Dave. I'm not sure what's happening on your end.

As far as the EvilQuest intro goes: I guess it makes sense to force people into the game quicker, for trial purposes, instead of hoping they take the option to skip and get right into the game. Really, though, won't most people skip it? I sure did. I want to trial the gameplay above all else, after all. :p

Still, I understand that it's just working within the limitations of the trial period, but it just seems a little... redundant. I just hope the new intro isn't butchered for this "issue" that doesn't really exist, as I quite enjoyed it.

I present to you, what we thought were the 10 best XBLIG games of 2011, from Armless Octopus.

I'm not going to lie, it was tough. We're in the process of putting together a runners up page as well, because there were at least 10 other excellent titles this year.

The craziest part? There were 728 games released last year. And with our weekly trials feature, we played through nearly each and every one of them.

Gaspode_T

The craziest part? There were 728 games released last year. And with our weekly trials feature, we played through nearly each and every one of them.

Pretty good list, I agree with maybe 7 out of 10 of them ;)

Kinect SDK for PC - from CES keynote sounds like they are starting to open up for commercial software (honestly I have no idea what's going on there, for a while it sounded like they were dead set on keeping things non-commercial). While the Metro store is closed to XNA maybe there is opportunity to make Kinect XNA games on PC, might be worth perstering folks to make sure it's happening and not just reading too much into the CES announcement

Dave Long

Banned
Still seeing everything here, Dave. I'm not sure what's happening on your end.
Are you in the US?

I'm really unhappy with this. Unless I'm somehow not going to the right place to find all the games, they just don't appear on my Xbox at all. I see about 60 games in total when I go into the Indie channel with no apparent way to see anything beyond that.

Dave Long

Banned
Yeah, the sort for me just sorts the 57 or so games I can see in different ways. I'll try to take some pics and post tonight. I really think it's screwed up somehow. I know at one point I could see all 2 million or however many indies there really are. Now it's like all I've got is January...

EDIT! Actually, I don't even know what I'm getting. I'll definitely check when I get home. I just looked at your link on my phone because marketplace is blocked here and I don't even think the ones I'm seeing are in that list. Super weird...

Gaspode_T

My guess was you are going to New Releases which only shows 100 but you go to Most Popular it shows everything...no idea why it only shows 100 that might be a bug or something

Gaspode_T

I could swear the "Top Downloads" isn't updating regularly in en-us market (kind of most important one to do so...), it has been stuttering with the same list of games for days at a time lately...if I look at the ja-jp list it looks more what I expect because some new games are on there, anyway kind of interesting to see what Japanese indie game fans are buying:

1. Total Miner: Forge
2. REVOLVER360
3. CastleMiner Z
4. CastleMiner
5. 麻雀 三六荘 (Mahjongg)
6. Cro-Mag Rally
7. Moe Mekuri 2.5 萌めくり2.5
8. Lolita of Labyrinth
9. Trailer Park King Episode 2
10. End Of Days: Infected vs Mercs
11. Firing Range
12. FortressCraft Chapter 1
13. ゆっくりの迷宮 Yukkuri Dungeon
14. EvilQuest
15. マイケルの不思議な冒険 Michael's Mysterious Adventure
16. まもって騎士 Protect Me Knight
17. Game Type
18. DLC Quest
19. 4P Ping-Pong
20. Attack of the Zombie Horde
21. Ninja Chop!!
22. Avatar Rumble
23. Avatar Karting
24. Soulcaster
25. Soulcaster II
26. Dead Pixels
27. Twin Blades
28. Lots of Guns
29. Soul
30. Smarter Than A Cheerleader?

Who knows, maybe en-us list looks so static because people are buying the same games?? It seems like a problem for a long time, personally if I were a dev releasing games this might be the thing I holler about the most...

Top Bottom