• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokonoe

Banned
Yeah, like you qq more, tiggerkiddo only played just a little bit of the game (and I think Nocturnowl as well?)

You don't know how bad the game is until you get to Silver and the last area. If you haven't played up to that point, then good job on you, but you couldn't possibly understand what pain truly is until you do as such!

Sonic CD lures me into a false sense of security by pretending to be like the Genesis games when it turns out its not. The level design is awful, it isn't even designed around the time travel gimmick, the level choice is terrible, most of the levels are filled with stuff that hinders your progress, they generally look awful...the only decent part about the game is the music.

Sonic 2006 lets me know right from the start it's gonna be awful so I know not to bother. I appreciate a game's honesty like that.

Kokonoe

Banned
Maybe it's a good thing I stopped reading the comics..

uyEDY.jpg

-edit-

Why?

http://archiesonic.wikia.com/wiki/Tikhaos

Glad Sonic Universe doesn't seem to have this stuff.

Sonic CD lures me into a false sense of security by pretending to be like the Genesis games when it turns out its not. The level design is awful, it isn't even designed around the time travel gimmick, the level choice is terrible, most of the levels are filled with stuff that hinders your progress, they generally look awful...the only decent part about the game is the music.

Sonic 2006 lets me know right from the start it's gonna be awful so I know not to bother. I appreciate a game's honesty like that.

Sonic CD is also fucking hideous.

Sciz

Those are panels from Universe.

It... was not a good arc.

Fortunately both books are busy enough now that they don't have time to waste on further speculative tripe (unless it's a unique cross-promotional opportunity or otherwise required by Sega).

hey guys what's happening in he-

I have come around on Sonic 06...it is better than Sonic CD.

76895-grandpa-simpson.gif

...But in all seriousness, '06 is a fundamentally broken game. CD may have questionable level design that almost seems to actively work against using the main gimmick of the game, and visuals that kind of clutter the screen, but it's nowhere near as deeply flawed as 06 from a design perspective. And this is coming from someone that doesn't really like CD outside of it's aesthetics.

OMG Aero

Haha you guys are taking tiggerkiddo seriously when he is being deliberately contrarian to get attention/be ironic/troll. That's adorable.

Haha you guys are taking tiggerkiddo seriously when he is being deliberately contrarian to get attention/be ironic/troll. That's adorable.

A user in black culture thread does this as well. Loves to say the opposite of what everybody's feeling so everyone pays attention to him. He even got a tag out of it.

Kokonoe

Banned
I don't think 2006 is hideous, but I don't think it's amazing either, graphics wise. Main complaints being the weird physics attached to the models.

Those are panels from Universe.

It... was not a good arc.

Fortunately both books are busy enough now that they don't have time to waste on further speculative tripe (unless it's a unique cross-promotional opportunity or otherwise required by Sega).

Ah, well that's good. When I start reading I think i'll skip that arc as that Tikhaos thing is single-handedly ruining my childhood. The other Universe stuff looks good.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

-edit-

Why?

Like Sciz said, the comics have gotten a lot better than that garbage because they have a competent writer now. At least Mega Man hasn't gone through this nonsense thing and the comics have been full of fanservice from the start. It's only that Sonic fell into this rut because they were trying to keep the game canon stuff in there like the Adventure changes and coming up with an excuse for Sonic's green eyes while dealing with some of the writers' shit (like Penders' dumb storylines, for example).

Almost related, but I haven't read any bad media for Mega Man. The manga series have been reasonably good; I've only started on Gigamix and it's even better than Megamix. The comics are really well-written.

Public Service Announcement: If Wreck-It Ralph is out in your region and you haven't gone to see it yet, go see it. Not for the cameos, because those really aren't a major part of the film (though Sonic's in there a good half-dozen times), but because it's just a damn good Disney movie with a remarkably well-done videogame theme.
If it's still in the theatres by the time my exams are over and my bf's legal auditing thingy is over, then I'll see it (unless he wants to see Skyfall, which I suspect he would). My brother and I were supposed to go a few weeks ago but he got sick again and he hasn't recovered (long story and it's the sort of thing I wish to keep to myself). I heard it's really good, though! I'm envious of all of my friends who saw it and almost ended up spoiling the entire thing for me.

Speaking of comics, that reminds me I kind of miss the Sonic X series. I didn't really care for the show all that much (Or never really watched it for that matter!) but I loved the slapstick nature of them. I think issue 25 was my absolute favorite with Sonic fighting the rainbow Sonic clones. That was a really funny issue and the last colored hedgehog was a treat to see!

Both Wreck-It Raplh and Skyfall are well worth seeing.

Looking forward to The Hobbit next week, too, albeit more for the tech than the plot. I mean, I liked what I've seen of The Lord of the Rings, but that basically amounts to The Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition, the second half of The Return of the King, not sure if Extended or not, and bits and pieces of The Two Towers. Really need to rectify that at some point. Nevertheless, the idea of bucking the idea that 24FPS is somehow less fake than a framerate closer to reality has me interested. Definitely checking out a high framerate showing.

I'm probably going to pass on The Hobbit. Didn't really care for the LOTR movies (The one I did try to watch literally put me to sleep), so I doubt it'll be much different for this, too.

So I figured out why there are no videos of the special stages from the PC version of Sonic 3D.

It doesn't run.

Click the EXE, black screen for one frame, back to desktop. Quits so fast that Task Manager never shows it. No error message, not even to a command-line prompt if launched from one.

:(

It's a shame because I don't hate the isometric look...I mean I'm still very fond of RCT/2 and that look it had going on but talk about those controls....ewwwww. Special stages for the Genesis weren't bad though.

It's a shame, because I actually like this game, and wanted to show off those obscure special stages, simplistic though they are.

Speaking of isometric, Landstalker. Would it have killed them to let me walk horizontally/vertically? Instead, if you try, you'll go in a diagonal that that would correspond to, parallel to the last diagonal you walked on (eg: if you were walking NE, and then pressed N, you would continue NE; if you were walking NW, and then pressed S, you'd turn around and go SE). It's really bizarre. It's also making me realize just how shit the Genesis D-Pad is. It's so stiff. Saturn pad this ain't.

Never heard of Landstalker before but I'm not all that familiar with the Genesis' library anyway.

The original Genesis dpad does seem a bit stiff but the six button one is a lot nicer. It's almost too loose at times, I keep registering different inputs on it at times.

Sciz

quick tangent back to Konami music:

While their big-budget reboot of Castlevania had the most boring music imaginable, they've been hiding stuff like this, this, this, and this in their pachislot machines. The mind boggles.

Lijik

Aero the Acrobat was okay. Only reason I played it was because it came with the SNES (which also came with Stunt Race FX) I bought on ebay 2 years ago.

Also tigger I'd watch the livestream as I've never played Bubsy and never seen much of the 16bit games.

Aero 1 is super terrible, but you know what
I have a huge soft spot for Aero 2. Great game

Aero the Acrobat gave us the model for all those Sonic bat fancharacters. Amazing how each one of those 90's platforming heroes could be linked to yet one of the billions of fan characters. Forward thinkers.

Sort of a funny comic, does make you think what the hell were they thinking with some of that stuff. To me it sort of has a Calvin and Hobbes sort of feel to it. And am I alone in thinking that?

You guys obviously didn't have younger brothers to delegate as official punching bag (Tails).

Soooo many good memories.

Damn right. We would even split up ring paths(I got the ones on the right) in case I missed anything. It was great watching him drown and shit, or just randomly die when you're flying over to the Launch Base Zone boss.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
1 down, 4 more to go!! Yaaaaaay. Need to bunker down and study for an exam tomorrow, though (lol, I don't need to study for it, but it's better to review). Probably gonna take a break and read a book for an hour. If I play a game, I probably won't stop.

quick tangent back to Konami music:

While their big-budget reboot of Castlevania had the most boring music imaginable, they've been hiding stuff like this, this, this, and this in their pachislot machines. The mind boggles.
Oh man. I thought I was the only one who held this opinion!

It's not that the LoS soundtracks are necessarily bad, but it's not what I want from Castlevania, especially when you consider the quality of its predecessors' music and the fact that they have a bunch of arrange albums and pachisuro albums out there with music that you have come to expect from CV.

*shrug* Maybe it's my fault for loving Super Castlevania 4/Chi no Rondo's music so much. Bloodlines music isn't bad. And the post SotN albums go without saying.

He'd be doing you a favour. That film is so goooooooooooood
Yeah, if the GAF thread for that is any indication, it's probably a welcome comeback for the 007 films. It's either "Daniel Craig" or "video game references" at this point. :p

Looking forward to The Hobbit next week, too, albeit more for the tech than the plot. I mean, I liked what I've seen of The Lord of the Rings, but that basically amounts to The Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition, the second half of The Return of the King, not sure if Extended or not, and bits and pieces of The Two Towers. Really need to rectify that at some point. Nevertheless, the idea of bucking the idea that 24FPS is somehow less fake than a framerate closer to reality has me interested. Definitely checking out a high framerate showing.
I dunno if I have any patience for a Tolkien film anymore. I vaguely recall falling sleep at the end of RotK because it wouldn't end. I was 15, though, so I might have more patience now. I feel like reading the books is a better course of action (of course, you can say that for almost every book-to-film thing), just because you can probably conjure up a better image of what's going on and it'll more interesting to you because you're cognitively processing something that genuinely enthralling to you as opposed to someone else's vision of the scene which you are being told to imagine.

Plus the whole bit about people coming out of the movie feeling nauseous has me wary.

1 down, 4 more to go!! Yaaaaaay.
You can do it!
aparty.gif

You can pretend Mike Dawson over there on the left is cheering you on, too
instead of screaming at himself in a mirror

I dunno if I have any patience for a Tolkien film anymore. I vaguely recall falling sleep at the end of RotK because it wouldn't end. I was 15, though, so I might have more patience now. I feel like reading the books is a better course of action (of course, you can say that for almost every book-to-film thing), just because you can probably conjure up a better image of what's going on and it'll more interesting to you because you're cognitively processing something that genuinely enthralling to you as opposed to someone else's vision of the scene which you are being told to imagine.

Plus the whole bit about people coming out of the movie feeling nauseous has me wary.
I don't really buy into the nausea thing. I mean, real-life runs at a higher framerate than 24 FPS. Surely these people don't get nauseous from simply living.

I can totally empathize with the length comments, though. I'd read the book, but I tried to read Fellowship of the Ring as a required summer reading for high school (one of several options). I gave up around Tom Bomadil. I just could not do it. It wasn't keeping my interest. I don't even know why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom