• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man. I thought I was the only one who held this opinion!
Have you never even seen the inside of a LoS thread?! this stuff dominates more discussion than the shift in gameplay!

It's not that the LoS soundtracks are necessarily bad, but it's not what I want from Castlevania, especially when you consider the quality of its predecessors' music and the fact that they have a bunch of arrange albums and pachisuro albums out there with music that you have come to expect from CV.

*shrug* Maybe it's my fault for loving Super Castlevania 4/Chi no Rondo's music so much. Bloodlines music isn't bad. And the post SotN albums go without saying.
I wrote it off entirely at first , but upon actually giving it a fairer shake there's a few tracks in there that I quite like, it's not what I wanted or really expected but taking it for what it is it's hardly the abomination some make it out to be, suffers from movie syndrome of course and not helped by some plain baffling song implementation throughout the entire game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You can do it!
aparty.gif

You can pretend Mike Dawson over there on the left is cheering you on, too
instead of screaming at himself in a mirror
やった! 有難うございます!

But yeah, I can't wait until this week's over. Then I can actually get some baking and shopping done. And I can buy some clothes and a new shade of gloss and eyeshadow for our date next week. Oh, and I can rest, I guess. I don't think I'll be doing much of that, but I'll finally get a well-deserved vacation that I'll apparently find some way to not relax during, according to some people.

That's something... I love to learn and I'll happily look stuff up that interests me, but I hate the school/institutional part of learning and I find that it detracts from my passion for learning about stuff. I preferred when my parents or my uncles taught me stuff, or whenever I read about something cool and ended up taking books out from the library to learn more about it. Even now, I like learning about some legal stuff because my bf takes the time to teach me about it. There's no pressure and I don't have to get graded on anything.

I don't really buy into the nausea thing. I mean, real-life runs at a higher framerate than 24 FPS. Surely these people don't get nauseous from simply living.

I can totally empathize with the length comments, though. I'd read the book, but I tried to read Fellowship of the Ring as a required summer reading for high school (one of several options). I gave up around Tom Bomadil. I just could not do it. It wasn't keeping my interest. I don't even know why.
Maybe it's because it was required summer reading. :p I hated books that the school told me to read (well, outside of The Giver and a few Shakespearean plays), yet I read multiple novels and journal articles a week because they were ones I willingly chose. Books assigned by the school are typically boring as hell.

To get through the Tom Bombadil parts, I kinda had to read them aloud in the poetic structure, lol. Though I suppose they couldn't fit the character in the films since he isn't crucial.

Have you never even seen the inside of a LoS thread?! this stuff dominates more discussion than the shift in gameplay!

I wrote it off entirely at first , but upon actually giving it a fairer shake there's a few tracks in there that I quite like, it's not what I wanted or really expected but taking it for what it is it's hardly the abomination some make it out to be, suffers from movie syndrome of course and not helped by some plain baffling song implementation throughout the entire game.
Noooope! I don't usually walk into them just because the LoS games aren't my thing. But yeah, they're not bad, but they aren't things I ended up appreciating in the long run just because of some of the in-game usage and the fact that it's not very appealing out-of-game (and for some that isn't important, but for me it is since VGM's basically most of what I listen to now).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjNu6-utsSA

Wave Ocean Act 1 in Sonic Generations. Looks pretty neat, though the high contrast gives the level a dark, under-saturated look.
Not bad. But for some reason, it makes the level design look even worse. I was never fond of 2006's level design because it was all boosters, springs and straight lines of nothing outside of bashing enemies around. And the lack of enemies makes this look even emptier.

Er... I don't like the UI font either (ie: the shading, how it's arranged, etc). It bugs me.

Sciz

Speaking of comics, some Archie news:

Remember that special Sonic Underground issue that was supposed to happen for Universe #50? The one that the super specials were teasing as recently as this month? It's been abruptly delayed/replaced.

"Forged in Fire": Celebrate 50 issues of Sonic Universe and 20 years of Sonic the Hedgehog comics with this double-sized anniversary spectacular! Metal Sonic has been one of Dr. Eggman's deadliest creations. But what happens when the fastest robot around has to track down... itself? It’s a clash of metallic titans as Metal Sonic is sent to take down his original model – now known as the Secret Freedom Fighter Shard! All this plus a special bonus presentation of the very first race between Sonic and Metal Sonic! Featuring a brand-new, bone-chilling cover from Sonic artist supreme Patrick "SPAZ" Spaziante, and special foil cover enhancements available EXCLUSIVELY for comic shops!

The 'Sonic Underground' story originally slated for this issue in on a temporary hiatus, but fear not! There will still be music to celebrate this historic issue, only this time it's HEAVY METAL!

I can only imagine what sort of politics are in play on this one. Not that I'm against a Metal Sonic vs Shard throwdown that'll last more than three panels, but this is just the biggest and latest in an increasingly lengthy series of last-minute changes for the two books.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Remember that special Sonic Underground issue that was supposed to happen for Universe #50? The one that the super specials were teasing as recently as this month? It's been abruptly delayed/replaced.

I can only imagine what sort of politics are in play on this one. Not that I'm against a Metal Sonic vs Shard throwdown that'll last more than three panels, but this is just the biggest and latest in an increasingly lengthy series of last-minute changes for the two books.
Yessssssssssss. Thank goodness. We don't need that Sonic Underground nonsense.

But I love the cover. Man, I can't wait for this one. Sounds awesome.

qq more said:
I don't even know what to say about this game anymore.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Nope. That specific video's been posted, and the WIP stuff was linked at some point a few months back.
This is what happens when I don't click links in threads for a few days. Must've missed it.

I know the WIP stuff was definitely posted in here months ago when the Unleashed porting was going on because I was going nuts over it. I have to say that I'm still pretty impressed. Wonder if Falk's going to remix the tunes in the levels a little bit or not.

Box of Bunnies said:
B-but they made a vow...
I certainly don't care whether or not their mother is found.

Even though I've never seen it, I'd be fine if he wrote a storyline ending SaTam.

Or a Sonic Universe done in a slapstick style how Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog was.

How many fans of Underground are there anyway?

Wow, that Metal Sonic cover is fantastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjNu6-utsSA

Wave Ocean Act 1 in Sonic Generations. Looks pretty neat, though the high contrast gives the level a dark, under-saturated look.

I'm shocked, there's point-to-point jumping in Generations? It actually kind of looks like they did some clever workaround using walljumping, perhaps with very specific level spline paths being toggled on in sequence?

Kokonoe

Banned
I knew of one before and he used a Manic Avatar. However, he knew the flaws of the show and still enjoyed it but at least he was willing to admit as such.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Two down, three to go! And it was a fun exam today; got to deal with a buncha cool chemicals and elements, and the experiment gave me the results I wanted, so success.

I remember knuckles was kinda fat in that show
Knuckles was voiced by Ian Corlett.

That means he was essentially Goku and Mega Man wrapped into one.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Kung-Fu Cut Man?

No, wait, I know this one! It's Guts Man!
Sure, why not! But Guts Man is dumb...

Oh man, that show's animation... The opening was cool! But it had to be because you had to see it every time the show started.

Why isn't the amazing Tekken Ball music up on Youtube yet?
Yeah, that's what I've been waiting for before delivering final judgement on the TTT2 soundtrack too.

C'mon. That was one of the best things about the Wii U stream.

Pietepiet

So the past couple days I've been blasting through Sonic Advance 2's special stages, and I just unlocked the Tiny Chao Garden for the first time....
....85016 rings have been sitting there for the past 9 years.

Also MAN, I hate XX Zone. It was pretty doable with Cream, but that final boss is a bitch with everyone else. Getting there, though!

One more emerald to go on Tails and Knuckles, then I have to clear it with Sonic, Tails and Knuckles, and then Amy to go. PHEW!

The Special Stages themselves aren't that bad, to be honest. The ring locations are ridiculous, but I'm using a guide so I'm having fun.

qq more

Back to playing Sonic Advance 1. Just got the 4th and 5th emerald. Now all I need to get is the 7th emerald and beat Moon Zone!

Back to playing Sonic Advance 1. Just got the 4th and 5th emerald. Now all I need to get is the 7th emerald and beat Moon Zone!
If you play through 5 minutes, you fall into the blown-up half.

Not really, seeing as Sonic Team can't consistently decide if Eggman blew it up or not.

Beat the game with every character, collect all the chaos emeralds, collect every ring in each stage, find the six chao in each act and make sure to touch the four golden star posts in each zone.

Just be prepared to do it all again in the Hard mode so you can get the extra special ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom