• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why were the Toonami promo's so good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Lol, this just made me remember all the conversations me and my friends would have about Tenchi in elementary school. The man was living a dream, but didn't want to fuck any of them. What a loser.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Damn man, I used to love that Space is the Place one...

What Gundam series was that? Does it hold up, or is it just for dumb people? (teenagers)

RSLAEV

Yeah you could tell there must have been one person there that actually gave a damn. So awesome...

Sheap

Nothing like a slap of nostalgia to finish the day.

Toonami Aftermath streams the shows. They even have some of those promos but not in the same quality.

Thinking about the thread title, one thing that really pops out for me now (besides the nostalgia) is the music. The irony of my memory remembering Electronic/Trip Hop/Drum&Bass tracks on Toonami and never hearing such a thing on VH1/MTV.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
dat Nostalgia overload! God I miss prime Toonami. So fucking great.

I used to babysit a few year ago and I felt so bad for the kids after watching the shows they have to sit through today. *sigh*

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
We just had a toonami thread a week ago when someone posted a link to some unofficial stream on jtv (or some other stream site) where a group of people were reairing episodes.

Adult Swim had some awesome ambient tracks during their schedule/promo commercials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEzua_aTHAc
A guy I used to talk with told me about this song. We found it on some song archive kind of site, but to get the rights to have it (part of a pack) was too extravagant.

Cartoon Network has always been great with their promotion. Adult Swim, for example, had some amazing bumps for a number of years. Great photography, original animated content, and music from some of the best underground hip-hop artists. Hell, it was where Flying Lotus got his start. Now that's the story I want to hear. I'm pretty curious where the creative director (or team) behind those things went.

Jintor

What shows would you add nowadays to a Toonami run (disregarding real-world limitations like being specially produced for another network, etc)?

Avatar: The Last Airbender is an obvious one. My Little Pony probably a more controversial one, but seriously, it's pretty good. Generator Rex? Young Justice?

Can't really think of anime in that mold, but I haven't really been paying attention for a while now.

Did Planetes ever air on Toonami?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Lol, this just made me remember all the conversations me and my friends would have about Tenchi in elementary school. The man was living a dream, but didn't want to fuck any of them. What a loser.

THE MOST ELIGIBLE BACHELOR IN THE UNIVERSE

Ashes2049

Neo Member
Thinking about the thread title, one thing that really pops out for me now (besides the nostalgia) is the music. The irony of my memory remembering Electronic/Trip Hop/Drum&Bass tracks on Toonami and never hearing such a thing on VH1/MTV.

Yeah I really loved the promo for Megas XLR with The Prodigy's 'Spitfire' on it, such awesome nostalgia.

AniHawk

What shows would you add nowadays to a Toonami run (disregarding real-world limitations like being specially produced for another network, etc)?

Avatar: The Last Airbender is an obvious one. My Little Pony probably a more controversial one, but seriously, it's pretty good. Generator Rex? Young Justice?

Can't really think of anime in that mold, but I haven't really been paying attention for a while now.

Did Planetes ever air on Toonami?

avatar, sym-bionic titan, thundercats, and on the actual anime side, maybe something like katanagatari or naruto (i know naruto was on actual toonami). they could probably have gotten away with fullmetal alchemist if they threw a disclaimer in there at the start.

Axiology

Man, whoever was in charge of making these it's clear they actually cared.
Not only am I nostalg-ing pretty hard from these, but I'm astounded there was ever anything like this on TV. People really caring about what cartoon programming they were airing for kids? Preposterous :'(

These promos are art. Especially deep ones like Mad Rhetoric with its focus on power and despair (how many indirect deaths are shown? That was only a lil over a decade ago and I bet it would still be too violent to air in midday today :( ) and Space is the Place or the Gundam Wing promo (which was as good as a theatrical trailer IMO)

Good kids' television is a dinosaur

Jintor

I don't believe this shit, they made Mar and Prince of Tennis look amazing.

Holy crap BoBoBo-Bo-Bo-BoBo was on Toonami? Man, the Clone Wars promo was sick. I think I've lost my evening...

/edit Superman promos? Batman Beyond Promos? Princess Mononoke Promos? Fuck yes. God, if you could translate Toonami into something that could survive in this new media landscape, that would be fucking amazing.

//edit They did Game Reviews? Goddamn. Steve Blum telling me about Final Fantasy X. Good lord.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
If you didn't grow up with Toonami you just didn't grow up right. It's a once in a lifetime thing and it won't be able to be matched by anything after it.

Toonami wasn't just a segment, it was a fucking experience.

That is NOT hyperbole.

vazel

Banned
Toonami made me a lifelong Tenchi fan. I love that show(which is odd since it has every trope I hate about anime).
I would pay good money to have Toonami and the original Nickelodeon back.

i wish toonami would come back. there's nothing on tv like it
Would Toonami have a place in today's world? Its main appeal was bringing us anime(and to a lesser extent repeats of past American cartoons) when most of us didn't have an easy means of watching those shows, but now we have Netflix and hulu and torrents.
WTF did they do to Tom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom