• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why were the Toonami promo's so good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaxon

Man, I had no idea Toonami ended up having such a legacy. I was a teenager when it first started airing, and the stuff they showed (Thundercats, Voltron, Robotech) was a real nostalgia trip for me. I watched it obsessively for a while, but lost interest when they switched to Sailor moon and Dragonball.

Seeing what they did in the years afterwards makes me kinda jealous of those of you who got to grow up with this stuff.

Azure J

What shows would you add nowadays to a Toonami run (disregarding real-world limitations like being specially produced for another network, etc)?

Avatar: The Last Airbender is an obvious one. My Little Pony probably a more controversial one, but seriously, it's pretty good. Generator Rex? Young Justice?

Can't really think of anime in that mold, but I haven't really been paying attention for a while now.

Did Planetes ever air on Toonami?

avatar, sym-bionic titan, thundercats, and on the actual anime side, maybe something like katanagatari or naruto (i know naruto was on actual toonami). they could probably have gotten away with fullmetal alchemist if they threw a disclaimer in there at the start.

Anime side is kinda tough (well, for me anyway) because it's been a while since something huge on action or with a long legacy worked its way to mainstream prominence.
I'm more than willing to say that I'm wrong though if someone can show me what I've been missing and for however long I have in the action side of things.

- Soul Eater back during its heyday could have worked.
- One Piece with a dub that wasn't poison to any chances at success could have blown up immensely.
- Hunter X Hunter if this new series could sustain itself long enough to get to some of the juicier plots. (Shit would need a heavy disclaimer after a certain point though)
- Beelzebub maybe?

The picks Anihawk made for the Western side of things are perfect though. Wish if there was something as campy as Megas XLR to place there though.

cause they're basically AMVs done by professionals w/ fucking Optimus Prime narrating.

it couldn't NOT be good.

This is the most amazing way of describing them and why they worked I've seen ever. The thing about these promos that definitely shows through is a genuine passion or love for both the source material and ambiance. To this day I'm still amazed at their production and mad like all fuck that there doesn't exist a true "Master's Cut" of all the different sound bytes and musical clips used in the spinning of most of their promos.

Fuck man, my childhood. I would stop whatever I was doing at like 5:00 to watch Dragon Ball Z.

Wasn't there a midnight Toonami as well? I remember my friends telling me about it, and how it showed Dragon Ball Z and other shows uncut.

Trey

Fuck man, my childhood. I would stop whatever I was doing at like 5:00 to watch Dragon Ball Z.

Wasn't there a midnight Toonami as well? I remember my friends telling me about it, and how it showed Dragon Ball Z and other shows uncut.

[as], Rising Sun.

Azure J

Someone posted the Batman "Good Guys Wear Black" promo and it instantly reminded me of how awesome a reference was made to it in the Big O extended promo.

It's made even more funny when you realize that the creators of Big O said they were inspired by Batman in particular for the way the main character worked.

I'm looking at all the shows Toonami had, and there was a plethora of fantastic shows. Dragon Ball, Gundam, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cowboy Bebop, Big O, Batman, and those are just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are other shows I'm missing that were fantastic as well.

Also makes me realize this was probably the only time where I watched so much anime. I watch a series every now and then, but back then it was pretty much all I watched.

AniHawk

I'm looking at all the shows Toonami had, and there was a plethora of fantastic shows. Dragon Ball, Gundam, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cowboy Bebop, Big O, Batman, and those are just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are other shows I'm missing that were fantastic as well.

Also makes me realize this was probably the only time where I watched so much anime. I watch a series every now and then, but back then it was pretty much all I watched.

cowboy bebop was always adult swim.

toonami's anime would need to be censored or a lot lighter. 'case closed' seemed like it was always a better fit for toonami thanks to its hundreds of episodes and lighter tone (and general look).

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
One thing that made Toonami so great is that it didn't talk down to you. TOM and others were just along for the ride as well, sometimes even self-aware.
Cartoon Network needs to get their shit together and revive Toonami. Hell, fans are creating a "Neo Toonami" that looks pretty decent.

Possible cartoon choices:
ThunderCats revival
Green Lantern
Other DC animated features
Adventure Time

Possible anime
One Piece (Funimation)
Toriko
Fairy Tail
Sket Dance

Alas, but a pipe dream.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
One thing that made Toonami so great is that it didn't talk down to you. TOM and others were just along for the ride as well, sometimes even self-aware.
Cartoon Network needs to get their shit together and revive Toonami. Hell, fans are creating a "Neo Toonami" that looks pretty decent.

Possible cartoon choices:
ThunderCats revival
Green Lantern
Other DC animated features
Adventure Time

Possible anime
One Piece (Funimation)
Toriko
Fairy Tail
Sket Dance

Alas, but a pipe dream.

with dc nation as sub section, the dc listing would be impossible.

if generator rex would still be around for the long run, that would do extremely well for a toonami styled beat intro and a peter cullen promo.

Damn it...
I know there's that one site, but it sucks.
I wish there was a way to get the entire Toonami blocks, INCLUDING LOCKDOWN, onto a box set.
Bumps, commercials, video game ratings.
The entire thing.

Such an amazing block.

DemiMatt

I was about to make this thread last week but got too busy.

MY favourites were the "IT'S A GUNDAM! A GUNDAM?! IT'S A GUNDAMMMM" and the Inuyasha one where they just call out to eachother.

cowboy bebop was always adult swim.

toonami's anime would need to be censored or a lot lighter. 'case closed' seemed like it was always a better fit for toonami thanks to its hundreds of episodes and lighter tone (and general look).
Really? I could've sworn that Cowboy Bebop was on Toonami.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
When I was younger I had literally no idea what Tenchi Muyo! was about.

I still don't.

Toonami was a once in a lifetime thing. Those of us who experienced it were very lucky.

Yeah. Very lucky. Shame all we have are memories now, but I guess that's how life works.

I feel bad for those who were born during or after Toonami's run and can't enjoy it, but I think I feel more sorry for those who were older than CN's traditional demographic who just wrote it off. They really missed out.

Suairyu

Banned
Yeah. Very lucky. Shame all we have are memories now, but I guess that's how life works.

I feel bad for those who were born during or after Toonami's run and can't enjoy it, but I think I feel more sorry for those who were older than CN's traditional demographic who just wrote it off. They really missed out.
The entire period was a great time to have a Cartoon Network subscription, to be honest. Dexter's Lab and Powerpuff Girls were at the height of their popularity as well, with their respective movies being released in cinemas; we were getting Samurai Jack and (towards the end) Clone Wars...

Powerpuff Girls movie was amazing.

Just a fantastic time to be into cartoons. On the other channels we also had the early days of Pokémon and rival Digimon...

(Extremely) rare though they are, there are moments where I miss my early teenage years.

The entire period was a great time to have a Cartoon Network subscription, to be honest. Dexter's Lab and Powerpuff Girls were at the height of their popularity as well, with their respective movies being released in cinemas; we were getting Samurai Jack and (towards the end) Clone Wars...

Powerpuff Girls movie was amazing.

Just a fantastic time to be into cartoons. On the other channels we also had the early days of Pokémon and rival Digimon...

(Extremely) rare though they are, there are moments where I miss my early teenage years.

Wait... There was a Dexter's Lab movie?!

AniHawk

They still have a few good shows, but yeah.
The overall quality is horrid.

i'd say their business side is worse than their shows. although the business side affects the type of shows they have. i'm letting the bitterness get to me, but the live action stuff looks really obviously bad.

sym-bionic titan should have been given more of a chance. it probably would have even done well on adult swim. it was certainly advertised to that demographic heavily (with "[genndy tartatovsky]" flashing at the end of one of the promos).

i'd say their business side is worse than their shows. although the business side affects the type of shows they have. i'm letting the bitterness get to me, but the live action stuff looks really obviously bad.

sym-bionic titan should have been given more of a chance. it probably would have even done well on adult swim. it was certainly advertised to that demographic heavily (with "[genndy tartatovsky]" flashing at the end of one of the promos).

ST did perfectly in the ratings.
The only reason it was canceled was because they couldn't merchandise it.

And yes, the live action shows are pure, unfiltered shit.
"Dude What Would Happen" is the kind of show you'd see Mad TV doing to make fun of reality shows...

Oh the made for TV special.
He said released in cinemas, I thought there was a real movie I missed.

Yeah, they would get around halfway through the Namek saga, and go right back to Raditz. Shit was aggravating.

You know what, I liked what Toonami and Adult Swim did. They would replay the entire series up until they get new episodes. And with Toonami, since the shows aired five days out of the week, they blew through series a lot.

It just sucked for the long-running shows like DBZ and Inuyasha where you literally have hundreds of episodes before they got to the new material.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yeah, they would get around halfway through the Namek saga, and go right back to Raditz. Shit was aggravating.

They got to the episode right before Goku went Super Saiyan soooo many times. I've probably seen every episode up to that point like 4 times, because it felt like that went on for years.

Suairyu

Banned
Wait... There was a Dexter's Lab movie?!
Oooooh man did you miss out. Not as good as the Powerpuff Girls one, but still amazing.

edit - made for TV? I could have sworn I saw it get a brief theatrical run... My memory is treacherous and locked behind hormones, though, so I could be wrong! Either way it was fab.

I always thought Toonami was undercut bigtime when Adult Swim started showing unedited anime in 2002. That 2001 Toonami lineup tho; holy shit was that stacked. Tenchi, DBZ, Gundam Wing with uncut episodes at midnight, Blue Sub 6, 08th MS Team, Outlaw Star, Big O, etc. That was a liminal experience as an 8th grader.

Oooooh man did you miss out. Not as good as the Powerpuff Girls one, but still amazing.

edit - made for TV? I could have sworn I saw it get a brief theatrical run... My memory is treacherous and locked behind hormones, though, so I could be wrong! Either way it was fab.

It was a one hour special that ran for a while in 99.
Never a theatrical release.

Strike

beauty.jpg

There hasn't been anything like it since and there likely won't be anything like it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom