• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why were the Toonami promo's so good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Would Toonami have a place in today's world? Its main appeal was bringing us anime(and to a lesser extent repeats of past American cartoons) when most of us didn't have an easy means of watching those shows, but now we have Netflix and hulu and torrents.WTF did they do to Tom.

A legit video streaming anime/cartoon streaming service with a tonne of personality could probably still work at popularising shows, especially one with the brand power and cultural penetration of Toonami - especially if it still had some kind of network presence.

I would kill a man for a digital streaming service app for my TV or something.

/edit I have no idea why but I suddenly had a weird image of the Genki Rockets doing a promo spot on Toonami

If you didn't grow up with Toonami you just didn't grow up right. It's a once in a lifetime thing and it won't be able to be matched by anything after it.

Toonami wasn't just a segment, it was a fucking experience.

That is NOT hyperbole.

I didn't grow up with Toonami, as I was already an adult when it first started. But I watched it all the same and am a better person because of it.

Averon

I remember when a show would end 10 minutes early and one of those Toonami promotions would air to fill up the time. Toonami from '98-'04 was fucking magical, man. Nothing will ever top it again, I'm afraid. The people running CN today would never sign off on another Toonami, promotions and all.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
not going to lie, toonami was the reason i got into gundam.

Same. I can tell you the exact moment of the promo, too.

Those who oppose them...
"We won't be needing you any further."
"What?"
TOSS'D
"AAAAaaaaaa...."
Die.
BLAM (GLINT!)

Volimar

I remember when a show would end 10 minutes early and one of those Toonami promotions would air to fill up the time. Toonami from '98-'04 was fucking magical, man. Nothing will ever top it again, I'm afraid. The people running CN today would never sign off on another Toonami, promotions and all.

The nostalgia quotient might bring it back. Worked for Thundercats, Voltron, MLP, etc. But it would probably be a god awful abortion of the original.

They don't have to necessarily bring the old 'Toonami' back.

A simple block of action-themed cartoons with special care paid to the wrap-arounds, bumpers, promos, and overall aesthetic of the block would be just fine.

Cartoon Network has always been great with their promotion. Adult Swim, for example, had some amazing bumps for a number of years. Great photography, original animated content, and music from some of the best underground hip-hop artists. Hell, it was where Flying Lotus got his start. Now that's the story I want to hear. I'm pretty curious where the creative director (or team) behind those things went.

A lot of the songs I have are from artists that found through the Adult Swim bumps. Use to love those things but now they just use a bunch of random stuff for bumps...

Toonami is/was the magic, man. Their interstitial spots were insane - TOM, Sarah, etc. I remember seeing it for the first time as a kid - it was the artic episode of Gundam Wing. My mind was freaking blown. I still have the two minute long Gundam Wing promo memorized.

They were good because they were edited well, had decent choices in music, and you could tell that the people making them really liked what they were doing.

Best after-school programming ever. I seriously doubt it will ever be topped. : )

Effect

Gundam Wing

Man, I need to watch this again.

This right here is what honestly sold me on Gundam. I had heard about it in passing before as I was trying to find out about more Japanese animated shows outside of DBZ and Sailor Moon at the time. When Toonami aired that trailer I knew I had to watch the show. Same thing with the Tenchi Muyo 2 minute preview.

Toonami was indeed an experience. I was lucky enough to be view it from the beginning with Moltar to the end. An amazing ride. It had its ups and downs of course. I liked the changes Tom when through. In the end I'm glad I experienced it growing up.

Viewt

Toonami was great. Hell, I remember when Moltar used to host it. I don't really remember how they transitioned from Moltar to TOM, but I do remember TOM fucking dying, and then they replaced him with the darker, taller TOM 2.

Man, it's been fucking years since I thought about Outlaw Star or Gundam Wing or Tenchi. Weren't there like four different Tenchi series? I remember liking each successive series less and less.

In any case, yeah, Toonami. Definitely a formative part of my youth, though I stopped watching around 14-15, so seeing that "final broadcast" where TOM's got a face or whatever - that's weird.

Bang.

Psxphile

Weren't there like four different Tenchi series? I remember liking each successive series less and less.

I still don't know how they got away with showing the original Tenchi OAV episodes with its blatant nudity, especially the hot spring episode. Just slapped some digital bikinis on 'em and called it a day. Amazing.

Machine

The nostalgia kick from those is pretty amazing. Also got me thinking about all the anime movies and shows I watched on the SciFi Channel back in the 90's. I think I saw Robot Carnival and Project A-ko about 10 times each along with a ton of other stuff. 90's cable tv in general was a much better thing than what we get now.

J@hranimo

Banned
So much good anime on one block. I look at my 9 year old cousin nowadays because he's getting into Dragonball Z Kai/Dragonball GT on Nicktoons or whatever it comes on. I always felt that he'd never be able to enjoy those shows and more like I did because it's not on Toonami.

Sometimes I really wish they would bring it back, but at the same time I'm not sure anyone would do it justice like several years ago.

I'm amazed at how what I remember of the UK promos are so similar to the US promos in here. They barely changed a thing and it translated almost perfectly. Wow.

bengraven

Lol, this just made me remember all the conversations me and my friends would have about Tenchi in elementary school. The man was living a dream, but didn't want to fuck any of them. What a loser.

This always got me, too. The harem genre confused me as a teenager.

I don't care how socially retarded you are...there's a point where your dick has completely assimilated your brain and you will hit on at least one of them.

Loved the shit out of Toonami back in the day and pretty much everything on it. It's a shame that there isn't anything like it on television these days. Adult Swim comes kind of close, but Toonami can't be beat.

If I had seen this thread before coming into work today I would have called in sick and stayed home to watch these all day.

If I ever get rich I am buying all the toonami shows on DVD, ripping them, downloading all the toonami promos and I'm going to make my own toonami channel at home. I wish these shows would come to hulu or netflix streaming at least. I remember so little about Tenchi now

That Broken Promises video... so good

I'd like to know who was in charge of making them.

Williams_street.jpg

Toonami was such a large part of my childhood. Me and my friends would also go over to each others houses after school to catch DBZ, Gundam Wing, and Outlaw Star. So many good memories.

JudgeN

Toonami was indeed an experience. I was lucky enough to be view it from the beginning with Moltar to the end. An amazing ride. It had its ups and downs of course. I liked the changes Tom when through. In the end I'm glad I experienced it growing up.

Amen, Toonami was one of the happiest moments of my teen years. Loved it from beginning to end and was very sad to see it disappear.

Suairyu

Banned
I love the Toonami promos, hate the US-only show intros. Not adequate replacement for a proper intro.

In the UK, Tenchi got this dope UK-exclusive intro.

When I was younger I had literally no idea what Tenchi Muyo! was about.
To actually understand what was happening in the plot you had to read some supplementary material never officially translated into English. Tenchi fans knew more about Tenchi than the show ever actually said.

Then you get to season 3, years later, and everyone knows what plot twists were going to happen, but no plot development took place until the very last episode. Everyone then realised that the Creator,despite having some really nice ideas, was the worst storyteller on the planet and everyone stopped caring about Tenchi.

Damn shame, too. Seasons 1 and 2 of the ova remain some of the finest anime ever made on my opinion. Just do a LOST and pretend the last season never happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom