• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why were the Toonami promo's so good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Anime side is kinda tough (well, for me anyway) because it's been a while since something huge on action or with a long legacy worked its way to mainstream prominence.
I'm more than willing to say that I'm wrong though if someone can show me what I've been missing and for however long I have in the action side of things.

- Soul Eater back during its heyday could have worked.
- One Piece with a dub that wasn't poison to any chances at success could have blown up immensely.
- Hunter X Hunter if this new series could sustain itself long enough to get to some of the juicier plots. (Shit would need a heavy disclaimer after a certain point though)
- Beelzebub maybe?

The picks Anihawk made for the Western side of things are perfect though. Wish if there was something as campy as Megas XLR to place there though.

This is the most amazing way of describing them and why they worked I've seen ever. The thing about these promos that definitely shows through is a genuine passion or love for both the source material and ambiance. To this day I'm still amazed at their production and mad like all fuck that there doesn't exist a true "Master's Cut" of all the different sound bytes and musical clips used in the spinning of most of their promos.

I forgot to mention that Tengen-Toppa Gurren Lagann would almost certainly have been a surefire hit, given that it ran as a Saturday Morning Cartoon in Japan.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Toonami... ;_;

I remember coming home from school everyday and immediately turning on the TV to Toonami. Then, after it was over, I sometimes went outside and ran around with my brother acting out Dragonball Z or any of the many giant robot series.

I'm saddened by the fact that newer generations won't be able to experience a TV segment like it. It just sparked so much imagination inside of me. Nothing on TV at the present time gives me the same feelings (except for the Avatar series; can't wait for the Legend of Korra!).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Anyone remember the Intruder event? Holy crap was I hyped for that. I was disappointed at first it was only five minute per installment, but I mean, at the end I was blown away.

TOM is dead.

The Absolution needs a new hero.

Enter TOM 2. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Even voted for the new Absolution "wings." Was so incredibly damn awesome.

I still think 2 was the best overall design. I like 1 a lot, but 3 just seemed to have gone too far to be "extreme." I did dig the third gen Absolution and Sara though.

I was so disappointed the Tom 2->3 transition was just a webcomic, I still haven't read it. :/ I don't eve know the "canon" reason for the move to the Thomas the Tom Engine.

params7

Banned
The DBZ Toonami promos were the best.

"Hold On Goku, this is going to take some time".

It still rings in my ears every now and then. Pure class.

Izick

Advanced Robotics was my favorite.
"This little mudball of a planet was doomed anyway."

Just watched that again. Simply awesome.

I remember seeing all these, but never remembered the names.

You know, I'm not one of those people who go around and knock what kids watch today, I think we all watched some real shit that we thought was pretty cool, but nobody puts this kind of love and care back into something as simple as a promo.

Toonami just managed to put together some of the best anime and cartoons of all time, and innovated by putting the stuff that was a little to mature on right after with Adult Swim. I was never a huge anime guy, I'll be honest, but I would tune in every single day to Toonami and watch all of it. DBZ, Yu-Yu Hakusho, Gundam, etc. It was all amazing.

Hell, one of my fondest memories is watching Toonami's mini review of Morrowind and going "wow, that game looks awesome!" Funny enough, it took me many years to get to finally play it (not till about 3 years ago), and it lived up to the expectations that the show had set.

Anyway, you just don't find that attention to detail like Toonami had. I don't even know if it was a product of the time. It was just...special.

I really wish that I could go back and watch all these shows...I think I might some day. I would love if anyone could compile a short list of what shows are in these promos, along with any other of Toonami's line up. (What was the show with the different colored Samurai fighting a mummy? One had a chain mace I think. Really great description, I know...)

Is it worth going back though? Does the nostalgia live up, or is it best to leave it alone, and let it stay as is? Is Dragon Ball Z just as amazing as you remember it?

Whenever I have kids, I'm going to make sure that they are introduced to a lot of these shows. I'll let them decide if they like them or not, but I really hope they do. I think it'd be awesome to pass something down like Dragon Ball Z to your kids. That's something that'll always be connected with you and them, and that's a really cool thought to me.

Seda

Not really Toonami, but an old PS2 Gundam game had this trailer for Endless Waltz. I must have watched this trailer a hundred times, and I still remember it nearly line for line.

Izick

Not really Toonami, but an old PS2 Gundam game had this trailer for Endless Waltz. I must have watched this trailer a hundred times, and I still remember it nearly line for line.

Awesome trailer.

Think I just nostalgia tripped for something I've never seen before.
KuGsj.gif

Is that possible?

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Toonami was the best. I barely remember a short game review segment where TOM commented on a racing game's use of the word "kudos". I miss his silky smooth robot voice and that dark blue helmet. And because my family had satellite on the West coast, DBZ came on 3 hours earlier, so I had to get home as soon as possible after school to catch it. It was sad when they moved it to Saturdays, but even more heartbreaking to hear that it was cancelled. What will the children of the future watch?

Wikipedia said:
At the time of its cancellation on September 2008, the Saturday night lineup consisted of a full hour of Naruto at 9/8c, Ben 10: Alien Force at 10/9c, and Samurai Jack at 10:30/9:30c.
That's just pitiful.

Here's a site with a bunch of Toonami stuff. I used it to download a bunch of anime openings and endings, but it has promos and other stuff as well. It also has a sister site for adult swim content.

Izick

Even though this isn't the same TOM, this was still pretty sad (plus a cool Cowboy Beebop reference):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoYnuyTUG5s&feature=related

But apparently there is some fan made Toonami website called NeoToonami that's supposedly debuting this year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzaPdtvKRXQ&feature=related

Ezalc

Why GAF?! Why must you remind me of the awesome that will never once again be?

Toonami was fucking amazing but by the end they just completely destroyed all the good things about it and gave Tom the shittiest look with that fuckin' Thomas the train face.

The price on the Deep Space Bass disc has been going up over time. Was ~$20 when I got it two years ago or so. Jump on it if you see a deal!

ag-my001

oh god i remember this. id come back from school everyday and literally be like oh ma gawdd WHERE ARE THE NEW EPISODES.

Stupid, hateful Episode 53. How many times did I sit through it, watch the promo for "Goku! Super Saiyan?", then get disappointed when Raditz showed up again. Or heck, pre-Toonami, when they would go right into Tree of Might. I didn't wake up at 5:30 am on a Saturday to watch Tree of Might, you stupid UHF station.

Omg!! That Gundam Wing Promo got me hyped AGAIN!! Definitely one of my favorite of the series of the expanded universe that aren't related to "The One Year War" story. Also, 08th MS Team is still one of my favorite too. Never really dug G Gundam though. Too DBZ for me.

Carlisle

Holy fuck I'm overwhelmed with nostalgia. I don't think I've truly realized how old I really am until now. My mind is blowing hard. Life's too short.

the chris

Hey Izick, you might want to stop talking about the stream. Someone started a thread about it and the thread was closed pretty fast.

HeroMK

Neo Member
They still show Toonami on a certain site. Google it.

I still like to watch it from time to time :) Great to see that they still keep Toonami up after all this time despite it being reruns of all of the classic shows.

The G-Gundam intros were some of my favorites. I always thought that it was an underrated show.

Izick

Hey HeroMK, be careful putting up that link. I did earlier, but the chris told me that the mods deleted a thread about that site.

I agree that it's awesome though.

Clott

Hah I made the exact topic in OT a few months ago. I love those promos, wish I knew what they were doing now.

Izick

Hah I made the exact topic in OT a few months ago. I love those promos, wish I knew what they were doing now.

Pretty sure it's done for now.

I think Cartoon Network was going for a really young audience, and didn't see a need for a Toonami like block of programming.

Remember when Toonami would play DBZ all the way through and then restart it, thus taking more than a year to get back to new episodes?

Izick

Remember when Toonami would play DBZ all the way through and then restart it, thus taking more than a year to get back to new episodes?

I guess they did that to make it seem like there were new "seasons" but without replacing DBZ with another show, since it was likely its top viewed show.

Suairyu

Banned
oh god i remember this. id come back from school everyday and literally be like oh ma gawdd WHERE ARE THE NEW EPISODES.
The UK was stuck in the pre-Android saga loop for as long as I remember. You'd endure the fucking Garlic Jnr thing for like the fifth time, Trunks would show up, be badass, tell everyone to get training then OH HAI RADITZ.

And after waiting two years, when it finally did come back they'd ditched the Funimation dub and gone with this shitty one with the worst intro song ever. "Dragon, dragon ball! Dragonball Z!"

Hated it so much.

Preble

I'm pretty impressed with some of the things some of the fans have been doing with the Toonami name. The block must have really impacted alot of people's lives. There's this one group who's making entirely new CGI footage that's really has the feel of the real Toonami promos.

Amazing stuff.

Zee-Row

Banned
Case Closed is a weird show , its not adult enough for Adult Swim but the depiction of murders may be too much for Toonami. The show never had a fair chance airing on TV.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Case Closed is a weird show , its not adult enough for Adult Swim but the depiction of murders may be too much for Toonami. The show never had a fair chance airing on TV.

I remember catching that once or twice at 2:30am, which at the time was super late for me; it was perfect for adult swim, it just should have been on earlier. Which reminds me of another time when my cousins sand I spent the night at my grandad's house, and I stayed up alone watching Toonami's midnight run. An episode of DBZ was on (this was around the time I had started watching), and this Trunks character was about to fight a couple of supposed androids. It was pretty cool, but before the episode finished my grandad came in and told me to go to sleep. I was like "Aw, I'm going to miss him beating those androids." So naive.

Ecotic

To me, Toonami and Adult Swim always inspired a deep sense of introspection and reflection through it's music, style and themes. When those two were in their prime humanity was in the last days before we became hyper connected through Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, Xbox Live and such. So you could really feel alone late at night watching Adult Swim or watching DBZ in the afternoons as a young teenager.

Toonami and Adult Swim had the sense of being a close friend that could keep me company when I didn't feel like falling asleep. Many weekend nights I'd stay up until Adult Swim was over, and then finally going to sleep.

Anyone remember the Intruder event? Holy crap was I hyped for that. I was disappointed at first it was only five minute per installment, but I mean, at the end I was blown away.

TOM is dead.

The Absolution needs a new hero.

Enter TOM 2. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Even voted for the new Absolution "wings." Was so incredibly damn awesome.

I still think 2 was the best overall design. I like 1 a lot, but 3 just seemed to have gone too far to be "extreme." I did dig the third gen Absolution and Sara though.

I was so disappointed the Tom 2->3 transition was just a webcomic, I still haven't read it. :/ I don't eve know the "canon" reason for the move to the Thomas the Tom Engine.

Could be wrong, but I remember reading something about the final look for Tom not having a back story. They tried to appeal to a new (younger) audience, and decided not to give him a backstory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom