• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei Blog: JPN companies are cancelling all Vita titles for 3DS, Sony: Not true

BY2K

Membero Americo
http://www.nikkei.com/tech/personal...E0E2E2E2E2E2E2;p=9694E3EAE3E0E0E2E2EBE0E4E2E7

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/40335/Is_Vita_losing_developer_support_already_Sony_responds.php

An anonymous quote from Japan's Nikkei newspaper paints a bleak picture for the future of the PlayStation Vita, but Scott Rohde, Sony's senior vice president of Worldwide Studios, rebuts.

The PlayStation Vita has failed to catch fire in the Japanese marketplace since its December launch -- being routinely beaten in weekly sales by its predecessor, the PSP, which is still popular there, as well as Nintendo's 3DS.

In a story that went up on Nikkei's website today, written by Kiyoshi Shin, the head of Japan's IGDA branch, an unnamed source from the Japanese game industry says that "Major Japanese companies are canceling all projects intended for the Vita and are changing development to the 3DS."

"I did not see that quote, but you see extremist quotes like that all the time," says Rohde, who spoke to Gamasutra about the incipient launch of the Vita in North America.

"I mean, obviously, there is no way anyone could stand in front of a camera and say that all developers are changing focus from one platform to another, no matter what it is."

Rohde went on to say that his guess is that it's "largely exaggerated. I know many, many, many third party developers and publishers are feverishly working on Vita titles, not just for now, but for the foreseeable future."

It might not be literally true, but does it hint at a real trend? "No, I absolutely haven't heard," says Rohde.

"There's always going to be the hot platform of the moment in our industry," he says. "There's always going to be reason to talk about a story like that."

"You can, whatever -- rewind two years ago. Every developer was you knew was selling -- going towards -- I was going to say 'selling their soul', it almost came out -- to go build games for Zynga and the Facebook platform. And there's another time when you see everyone is going to do smaller iPad games, or iOS games in general. Then it was PS3, it was 360, it's Vita, it's 3ds. It's always, constantly changing. It's not something that concerns me whatsoever."

The full interview with Rohde, which contains his thoughts on the Vita's launch and future, and major competitors Apple and Nintendo, will be live on Gamasutra next week.

EDIT: DAMN IT, didn't finished the thread title! "Nikkei: Major Japanese companies are cancelling all Vita project to move to 3DS."

antonz

While I doubt they are cancelling everything I do expect a shift in resources. This isnt odd. The 3DS had the same thing happen. It launched then tanked and suddenly Sega and others were like uh delaying this, multiplatforming that.

3DS is now a juggernaut so its obvious resources will go towards it. Nintendo had a ton more future titles announced at the time so it made it easier to see delays shifts in strategy etc. We really have 0 news of the Vita and the future

donny2112

Had a slightly different translation of the Nikkei source article in the Media Create thread from Zenaku. Basically one publisher cancelled all its Vita games and possibly moved some to 3DS. Could be a very minor (article uses the word large, but one person's "large" isn't necessarily everyone's "large") middle-of-the-pack (low or high) publisher, though.

Now, I'm not saying the Nikkei artice is correct, but as I've seen you post the same thing twice, I thought I'd go ahead and correct you:

The quote in the Nikkei article didn't say "a publisher cancelled one game", it said "a large publisher has cancelled all Vita games in development, and has switched to 3DS development".

Again, I'm not claiming the article to be true; I'm just correcting you on how the quote says "all" Vita games were cancelled, not just one (I don't believe it claims they were all moved to 3DS either, some may have been cancelled completely).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

It was locked for the reasons stump details here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35173961&postcount=520

Hi, I just wanted to briefly comment on why I locked that other thread. The first reason was because it was a non-English article posted with a machine translation and pretty inflammatory contents. We've always discouraged people from doing this. duckroll has been pretty active in the past in smacking people who post, for example, incorrect 2ch rumours that they've auto-translated. In the future I'd recommend definitely avoiding posting auto-translated stuff out of context. Instead, if you think it's a big deal, PM a GAF member who you expect is a) fluent in the language and b) culturally aware enough to pick up on any context clues about the source (for example last time around there was some debate about the relative importance or reputation of Nikkei vs Nikkei Trendy and Nirolak ended up changing the thread title like half a dozen times to strike the right balance).

The second reason was because it was brought to my attention by another regular GAF member who is fluent in Japanese and pointed out that it was an opinion piece, not a news story. DCharlie's post had nothing to do with it.

If someone provided an accurate translation and the thread was posted with the correct tone, noting that it's an opinion piece and noting who the opinion piece is by or what the source's credibility is, there's nothing theoretically wrong with a rumour thread and it would be okay to repost.

Personally it's not to my taste and I feel like GAF is in general quite a bit swamped with minor Vita news that largely devolves into a bunch of unproductive "Typical GAF Vita FUD Vita rules you can't Uncharted on your Apple Shit Fon!!!!" versus "Wow Vita really is doomed sell your Sony stock can't wait to buy one for $24 next week" level stuff. It's getting really shrill to hear a bunch of the same people flippantly dismiss one another and go aggro. That's not to suggest that that thread was that, simply that the risk of any Vita thread becoming that is so high right now that it's important to get it right from the OP.

Normally we leave notes when we lock threads unless the existing replies in the thread do a good job of representing the reason (for example if someone posts a dupe thread and the first replier replies with "dupe thread" and a link, we don't need to explain that it's locked because it's a dupe thread). I thought that the initial replies adequately contextualized the situation. Sorry if that was an incorrect assessment.

Meta-talk about another thread being locked doesn't really have anything to do with M-C so posts after this one on the subject will be deleted. If you have any feedback please PM a mod including me. Thanks.

The google translated thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=463216

Aeana

It's not interesting. Someone posted a Google translated version of the article with assumptions, and was corrected.
This is why people who can't read Japanese shouldn't try to post Japanese news until they're sure about what it says.

Duxxy3

The 3DS saw something similar before sales leveled out.

Sony has a lot of work ahead of them. Gotta love competition.

Had a slightly different translation of the Nikkei source article in the Media Create thread from Zenaku. Basically one publisher cancelled all its Vita games and possibly moved some to 3DS. Could be an very minor publisher, though.

Japanese does plurals in a completely different way to English. Having read the Japanese, I think that the article is referring to only one publisher, but it isn't necessarily just one.

LiK

It's not interesting. Someone posted a Google translated version of the article with assumptions, and was corrected.
This is why people who can't read Japanese shouldn't try to post Japanese news until they're sure about what it says.

frostbyte

wasn't the previous thread on this locked before? or are the mods changing their decision?

on topic, one minor Japanese publisher, like Marvelous or such, isn't going to doom the Vita. and most likely 3rd parties are simply taking a watch and see approach , just like they did after the lackluster launch of the 3DS.

Remember, this can be both true and untrue at the same time. All it needs to be "factually true" is two publishers, each with only a single Vita game each, canceling said games. That would technically be "publishers canceling all of their Vita games," and yet this would be dishonest in the intent as well.

Kazerei

Banned
We've been discussing this in the Media Create thread.

Konami and Square Enix both seem to be quite dedicated to the Vita. And niche publishers like NIS and Falcom will probably stay. But most other publishers have only announced one or two games for Vita. So it's anybody's guess.

Metallix87

Is this the correctly translated version? So it's more than one publisher canceling all of their Vita projects and moving them to 3DS?

on topic, one minor Japanese publisher, like Marvelous or such, isn't going to doom the Vita. and most likely 3rd parties are simply taking a watch and see approach , just like they did after the lackluster launch of the 3DS.

To be fair, the 3DS never performed this consistently badly in Japan before the price drop.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
So, shouldn't the thread be changed to something like
"One publisher, probably small, we don't know who, possibly canceled their Vita games and moved them to the 3DS, because hey, the Vita has been out long enough that it looks doomed enough to them."

:p

Remember, this can be both true and untrue at the same time. All it needs to be "factually true" is two publishers, each with only a single Vita game each, canceling said games. That would technically be "publishers canceling all of their Vita games," and yet this would be dishonest in the intent as well.
The focus is that, it says 'all' publishers, not two

it's much more expectable to, say, one major publisher cancels 10 games for Vita and move all to 3DS, than 10 publisher cancel their single Vita game and move to 3DS

Hopefully sony can keep most devs on board past the first 18 months.

same thing happened with the psp with a lull in 3rd party games after the first year or so. Then a bunch came back around later after price drops and a newer slimmer model but by then the hackers had there way with it.

The focus is that, it says 'all' publishers, not two

it's much more expectable to, say, one major publisher cancels 10 games for Vita and move all to 3DS, than 10 publisher cancel their single Vita game and move to 3DS

It doesn't say "all" publishers (which would be impossible since Sony is a publisher), it says "publishers" which doesn't indicate a quantity other than more than one.

If the PSV bombs outside of japan as well i honestly think we could see a drop with a couple months. It saved the 3DS in 2011.

Unfortunately for Sony, it was games* that saved the 3DS, not the price drop (which didn't hurt, I guess).

*games that are 3DS-exclusive, which is why it's unfortunate

Its really not stupid. A Source with confirmed insider contacts stating something is better than half the bullshit rumors that get posted around here.

There'll be two 720s with a Wii U-like screen and Kinect and GX7880 YEH6670 and 3-9 gigs of ram, but it will only be 3,4,5X more powerful than the 360.

Duxxy3

It seems like the sony and the publishers will be at a stalemate until a major change happens.

With the PSP and 3DS it was price drops.

If the PSV bombs outside of japan as well i honestly think we could see a drop with a couple months. It saved the 3DS in 2011.

It doesn't say "all" publishers (which would be impossible since Sony is a publisher), it says "publishers" which doesn't indicate a quantity other than more than one.

It may even be only referring to one. Sometimes with Japanese you just have to guess whether something is a plural or not.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Of course it doesn't mean all publishers. That's simply impossible.

The question is does this mean one publisher or multiple publishers. I know the singular and plural would be the same in its native language, but can't the meaning be construed via the sentences that follow the main?

It seems like the sony and the publishers will be at a stalemate until a major change happens.

With the PSP and 3DS it was price drops.

For PSP it was software and the redesign. For 3DS it was software and the price drop.

Neither fell as far as fast as Vita has however.

Metallix87

I am wondering how big the shitstorm is going to be if the Vita does succede.

Nothing will change, really. It'll be DS vs. PSP all over again, in that case.

The interesting thing to wonder is, if Vita fails like many expect it to, what will Sony do to remedy the situation? Have we ever really seen "panic mode" Sony?

what is it with jp publishers that make them so afraid of multiplatform development, goddamnit, I dont care if 3ds get more games, I just want it to be mulriplatform so I can buy it on vita because I like the bigger high res screen.

999 dev is about the only one that already announce multiplatform games for vita3ds right?

Top Bottom