• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei Blog: JPN companies are cancelling all Vita titles for 3DS, Sony: Not true

FjTRX.jpg

antonz

what is it with jp publishers that make them so afraid of multiplatform development, goddamnit, I dont care if 3ds get more games, I just want it to be mulriplatform so I can buy it on vita because I like the bigger high res screen.

999 dev is about the only one that already announce multiplatform games for vita3ds right?

I would expect multiplatform to perhaps become more an option. Publishers really wasted no time turning on the 3DS when it tanked right away. Delayed title relases,postponed development etc was all done.

Its why I find it so odd people are suddenly so no way this is BS. It happened less than a year ago already why wouldnt it now

what is it with jp publishers that make them so afraid of multiplatform development, goddamnit, I dont care if 3ds get more games, I just want it to be mulriplatform so I can buy it on vita because I like the bigger high res screen.

999 dev is about the only one that already announce multiplatform games for vita3ds right?
Level 5 has Time Travelers, which is also on PSP.

Nothing will change, really. It'll be DS vs. PSP all over again, in that case.

The interesting thing to wonder is, if Vita fails like many expect it to, what will Sony do to remedy the situation? Have we ever really seen "panic mode" Sony?

We have actually. They take out backwards compatibility and Linux.

Anyway, if the allegations in this article are true, I wonder which company or companies the articles is referring to. For some reason I find that little puzzle more fascinating than any broader trends that may or may not actually be occurring.

Metallix87

Chunsoft and, thus far, it's only a single game. Level-5 also has Time Travelers as multiplat between the two handhelds.

As for why it won't happen, I imagine it's a myriad of factors they have to consider, including the cost of porting and taking advantage of the other system's unique features, and of course the viability of the market for such a game on the opposite platform.

DCharlie

Banned
The focus is that, it says 'all' publishers, not two

were does it say all publishers in the Japanese article?

god DAMN, this is getting into ABSOLUTELY FUCKING STUPID levels now. Fuck me.

frostbyte

Nothing will change, really. It'll be DS vs. PSP all over again, in that case.

The interesting thing to wonder is, if Vita fails like many expect it to, what will Sony do to remedy the situation? Have we ever really seen "panic mode" Sony?

I think Sony did the best they can. They got out SCEJ's Gravity Daze and SCEE Bend's Uncharted with Resistance coming along. They can't magically force Square Enix to pump out a FF to save them and KH is on the 3DS. Konami's got a few multiplatform PS3/Vita projects still in development. MH is moneyhatted for 3DS for the time being. I can't think of anything they could do better except the memory card fiasco.

We can only hope and wait for the killer app that will drive sales up for the Vita just like MH did for the PSP.

seady

Unlike the 3DS with its crazy announcement when it was first revealed and games regularly get announced for it afterward (like Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright etc), the Vita never really had any strong 3rd party support announced for it. Most of them games were 1st party.

The most it had for it was Call of Duty. And seeing how uneffective past COD games did to handhelds (there were CODs on DS and PSP too), I doubt it would matter much.

So you think Sony would cut features to release a "budget" version of Vita?

I was making a snide joke, but, actually, yeah, they might do something like that. I'm not familiar enough with the Vita to even begin to imagine what they would take out that could save a significant amount of money, though.

Metallix87

Unlike the 3DS with its crazy announcement when it was first revealed and games regularly get announced for it afterward (like Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright etc), the Vita never really had any strong 3rd party support announced for it. Most of them games were 1st party.

Yeah, there's been a strange silence coming from third party publishers in that regard, while more and more 3DS games and even PSP games continue to be announced.

guek

Banned
were does it say all publishers in the Japanese article?

god DAMN, this is getting into ABSOLUTELY FUCKING STUPID levels now. Fuck me.

relax :p

Gaf is like a flock of vultures when it comes to doom. The first sign of weakness and they descend, talons first, beaks threshing at the flesh of doom saying.

Vita's current situation is worrisome though, no doubt. It seems to be in a much worse position now than 3DS ever was. Whether or not a real turnaround is feasible wont be clear until E3, which is only 3 months from now.

Unless of course it becomes a monster out west this month, in which case it wont need any saving.

KingK

Vita isn't even out everywhere yet and it's nothing but bad news.

I really hope it has at least some moderate success, because I'm hoping to get one eventually and I want devs to continue to support it. I don't expect it to beat the 3DS, but I hope it at least doesn't do worse than the original PSP.

theBishop

Banned
Japanese devs need Vita. It'll allow them to keep making current-gen games when the next consoles come out. That is not going to be pretty...

DCharlie

Banned
As real as Kiyoshi Shin, the head of Japan's IGDA branch?

whilst i suspect it maybe a cover to protect something Shin definitely knows the attributed quote is to a source who has a source ... so this is "Shin knows someone who knows someone who knows this guys who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Vita dev pushed out at 31 developers last night.

I guess it's pretty serious."

TheNatural

My Member!
Is this really that shocking? Look at the third party release list for what's there for the Vita already. Port. Port. Port. Port. The biggest games are ports of console games, with little to no degrees of addition to them.

It's not shocking that all the little support there for original titles may have just been stopped in it's tracks. Sony is going to have to make a Nintendo like price drop to get this thing to survive for any period of time. Never seen a system launch with so much apathy in a long time.

prwxv3

Is this really that shocking? Look at the third party release list for what's there for the Vita already. Port. Port. Port. Port. The biggest games are ports of console games, with little to no degrees of addition to them.

It's not shocking that all the little support there for original titles may have just been stopped in it's tracks. Sony is going to have to make a Nintendo like price drop to get this thing to survive for any period of time. Never seen a system launch with so much apathy in a long time.

oh boy here we go again.

antonz

Well, Iwata did said that they were risking losing support if they didn't changed 3DS fortunes fast...

Natsume came straight out and said poor hardware sales was why they delayed 3DS titles. Sega did the same with several 3DS titles.

Duxxy3

Japanese devs need Vita. It'll allow them to keep making current-gen games when the next consoles come out. That is not going to be pretty...

Nah, they still have 3DS.

Japan is gonna stick with PS2 era technology 3 generations in a row!

Nilaul

What else would Sony say?

The Vita is a exclusive platform created to play state of the art Games developed by multiple Sony studios. 3rd party games will be rare as they do not pass our quality control.

Sony

The last part would mask the fact that 3rd parties just chose not to develop games for Vita.

Kazerei

Banned
whilst i suspect it maybe a cover to protect something Shin definitely knows the attributed quote is to a source who has a source ... so this is "Shin knows someone who knows someone who knows this guys who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Vita dev pushed out at 31 developers last night.

You don't think the head of the game dev association talks directly with developers? Come on.

Vita's current situation is worrisome though, no doubt. It seems to be in a much worse position now than 3DS ever was. Whether or not a real turnaround is feasible wont be clear until E3, which is only 3 months from now.

I'd give it until at least TGS, since any turnaround will realistically be dependent on Japanese software and E3 has become primarily Western-centric.

Vita isn't even out everywhere yet and it's nothing but bad news.

I really hope it has at least some moderate success, because I'm hoping to get one eventually and I want devs to continue to support it. I don't expect it to beat the 3DS, but I hope it at least doesn't do worse than the original PSP.

Bad news? All I see is rumours and speculations.

TheNatural

My Member!
Bad news? All I see is rumours and speculations.

Maybe you should check the media crate thread. Dropping a cool 13K a week isn't rumors or speculation, it's the sales for the system. That's flat out atrocious, especially for a system that JUST launched, and nothing in the pipeline to salvage it.

I don't know who is running Sony now or who thought this business plan was a good idea, but it's not and you would have thought they've learned their lesson over and over again.

True. We should wait for a more reliable industry source, like Nikkei Trendy or GameWave.

Top Bottom