• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.
A six hour stress test sounds like something that will just anger people. WoW's stress test was at least a full weekend...can't remember if it was more like 5 days.

Orayn

A six hour stress test sounds like something that will just anger people. WoW's stress test was at least a full weekend...can't remember if it was more like 5 days.

Or it means that they have almost all of the server capacity/loading figured out already, and they just need to kick the tires one last time to ensure the beta runs smoothly.

The thing about ANet's betas is that they're actually... Well, betas. They're feature complete and quite close to a shippable product, as opposed to "betas" that are missing lots of content and get continually worked on.

Jira

I wonder if there were originally different level capped T-stones...if that was too "confusing" why not just make T-stones that are based off of the rarity of the item being destroyed (usually that'd be the one that has the better stats right?)? That way it can be tiered, with higher rarity T-stones costing more karma and as long as you make them match the same color as the rarity, it can't be that hard right?

That is how it worked. There's T-stones for 1-10 items 11-20 and so on or something like that. I fail to see how that's confusing at all. It even said as much in the tooltips, you could clearly make this out when someone hovered over them in a video.

It was something like this:

Copper T-Stone
Transmutes level 1-10 items
100 Karma

Tin T-Stone
Transmutes level 11-20 items
200 Karma

The numbers aren't exact, but how was this bulky and confusing to the player? Certain stones worked on certain level ranges and had an increasing Karma cost which makes perfect sense.

In regards to your item rarity idea, that would actually be horrible. You would be limiting what your character could look like because you could only transmute within the same item rarity making all items below that rarity worthless to you.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I wonder if there were originally different level capped T-stones...if that was too "confusing" why not just make T-stones that are based off of the rarity of the item being destroyed (usually that'd be the one that has the better stats right?)? That way it can be tiered, with higher rarity T-stones costing more karma and as long as you make them match the same color as the rarity, it can't be that hard right?
Exactly. That's why I'm keeping a healthy grain of salt around whenever I hear things about the game. Either way, I'm already locked into a prepurchase, but I definitely won't be overhyping myself, and I'll call out bs when I see it.

That is how it worked. There's T-stones for 1-10 items 11-20 and so on or something like that. I fail to see how that's confusing at all. It even said as much in the tooltips, you could clearly make this out when someone hovered over them in a video.

It was something like this:

Copper T-Stone
Transmutes level 1-10 items
100 Karma

Tin T-Stone
Transmutes level 11-20 items
200 Karma

The numbers aren't exact, but how was this bulky and confusing to the player? Certain stones worked on certain level ranges and had an increasing Karma cost which makes perfect sense.

Exactly. That's why I'm keeping a healthy grain of salt around whenever I hear things about the game. Either way, I'm already locked into a prepurchase, but I definitely won't be overhyping myself, and I'll call out bs when I see it.

Yea while I have no issue with the gem shop, the "confusing" argument makes no sense. This leads me to wonder if they took out the leveled tiered T-stones, are there only going to be 1 type now in the gem shop? That'd make it feel like a waste of money to reskin lower level weapons since there's no leveling curve and you'll probably switching weapons every 5 levels or so...idk, I hope they clarify this

Jira

Yea while I have no issue with the gem shop, the "confusing" argument makes no sense. This leads me to wonder if they took out the leveled tiered T-stones, are there only going to be 1 type now in the gem shop? That'd make it feel like a waste of money to reskin lower level weapons since there's no leveling curve and you'll probably switching weapons every 5 levels or so...idk, I hope they clarify this

I think there's 2 types in the gem shop. One for 1-79 items and another for level 80 items. I think the 1-79 cost 50 gems and the 80 costs 100 gems which I THINK translates to 50 cents and $1.00 respectively. I hope they find a way to get them into the game in some other way, it baffles me that people found the original system confusing.

Vano

Pretty skeptical about this. "Confusing to players" seems like a cop-out answer. You could easily make a note of it in the description or something.

Don't know man, a quick read in Guru or Facebook comments and you will see people confused about the littlest and weirdest things :/

But yea feels like that way, gotta wait to see how they will implement it in the end.

GrizzNKev

Banned
3Chqx.jpg

It begins.

01DragonFly

Is there any way to get a physical copy of the Standard Edition as a prepurchase with beta access and three day head start?

yes, at the moment only gamestop is the one selling retail boxes with pre-purchase
remember that you have to pay in full and they give you the code(betas ) in the receive or mail you the code depending if you bough it at the store or online

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Not caring about items being moving to the Gem Shop - they are obtainable with in-game gold.
Indeed, and this is a pure cosmetic thing anyway- can't say I object.

Really, the more things that people spend money on that don't cost ArenaNet anything, the more content update they can put out for free. :p

Torraz

Is there any way to get a physical copy of the Standard Edition as a prepurchase with beta access and three day head start?

Yeah. Most stores that sell games, (at least in the Netherlands), sell them. Just got a standard edition pre-purchase (with goodies) for 39.99€ yesterday.

epmode

So from what I can tell, the digital deluxe version is a handful of single-use items and one potentially lame combat skill for an extra $20. Doesn't seem worth it. Am I missing something?

Achtius

So from what I can tell, the digital deluxe version is a handful of single-use items and a one potentially lame combat skill for an extra $20. Doesn't seem worth it. Am I missing something?

No, that's pretty much it. Just get the standard edition :p

Syril

So from what I can tell, the digital deluxe version is a handful of single-use items and a one potentially lame combat skill for an extra $20. Doesn't seem worth it. Am I missing something?

Yeah, I was disappointed too. It would have been nice if they had offered a pdf of the making of book and mp3s of the soundtrack or something.

Helmholtz

So from what I can tell, the digital deluxe version is a handful of single-use items and one potentially lame combat skill for an extra $20. Doesn't seem worth it. Am I missing something?
Correct. Go standard imo, buy something useful in the shop like extra storage or character slot if you want.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
GOG offering Guild Wars 2 for 10% off.

it has the 3 day headstar and whatnot

Coupon code BRING-ALLUR-GUILD

http://www.greenmangaming.com/promo/guildwars2

Offering Digital version of standard and deluxe.
That's not GOG.

Nevertheless, yes please. I've ordered from Green Man Before, never had any real issues. Going for it.

edit:
0aB1m.png

Aww yeah. Linked my GW account and whatsuch. Not sure I understand this 4 digit name code thing, but whatever. Bring it on!

Arken2121

That's not GOG.

Nevertheless, yes please. I've ordered from Green Man Before, never had any real issues. Going for it.

edit:
0aB1m.png

Aww yeah. Linked my GW account and whatsuch. Not sure I understand this 4 digit name code thing, but whatever. Bring it on!

Awesome, welcome to the club! 8)

Retro

Not sure I understand this 4 digit name code thing, but whatever. Bring it on!

In the event that two players try to register the same name, they will both have the 4 digits attached to their name rather than forcing one or the other to change. So if you registered as "Billy" and I come along and do the same, we'd both be "Billy.####". I would imagine it's done that way so people can have the names they want and are familiar with rather than being forced to come up with something like "BiLliEEE32312".

Also, random numbers > familiar numbers.

Heh, it's not breaking any NDA to say that you've pre-purchased and registered the game, man.

I did that with FireFall. It's fun to tease.

"GAME WITH AN NDA - SOOPER SEKRIT!"

Yeah, we were discussing this before the first podcast, somebody had changed Chrome to appear in steam as "Guild Wars 2" and people were up his ass about it.

Speaking of which, when were we going to work on a third?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
In the event that two players try to register the same name, they will both have the 4 digits attached to their name rather than forcing one or the other to change. So if you registered as "Billy" and I come along and do the same, we'd both be "Billy.####". I would imagine it's done that way so people can have the names they want and are familiar with rather than being forced to come up with something like "BiLliEEE32312".

Also, random numbers > familiar numbers.
I'm not sure this solution is superior to just requiring people to have unique names. I'd rather have to choose something else than be Hawkian.6540 (I think, I already forget mine) just because of some impostor out there.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Yeah, we were discussing this before the first podcast, somebody had changed Chrome to appear in steam as "Guild Wars 2" and people were up his ass about it.

Speaking of which, when were we going to work on a third?

You know... when we're ready.

nataku

I'm not sure this solution is superior to just requiring people to have unique names. I'd rather have to choose something else than be Hawkian.6540 (I think, I already forget mine) just because of some impostor out there.

Yeah. At the very least I wish the original name holder would be just the name, without the numbers. Anyone after that can get the numbers attached. I don't like the idea of numbers showing up on my name because someone wants to use the same name.

I'm assuming that's how it works, anyway. I'd be "Veplerion" in game until some random guy goes to make the same name, then we'd both get numbers attached to our name. It's really stupid.

PewPewK

23 minutes past when the Stress Test is supposed to start and the servers are still not running.

Blunder of the century? Blunder of the century.

Retro

23 minutes past when the Stress Test is supposed to start and the servers are still not running.

Blunder of the century? Blunder of the century.

You do understand that they are testing the game, right? Not just kicking it on for a few hours for everyone to poke around and have fun, right? They'll be up when ANet is ready for the test to begin, I would imagine.

Also, Stress Test is under NDA. Just sayin'

Ashodin

I'd also like to note that the press beta was the same weekend (20th n such) last month, and pre-purchase started more than a week before the 20th this month, and Friday stress test today? I'm thinking next weekend.

So is there any reason that I wouldn't be able to register with my GW2 key that I got from pre-purchasing on the GW2 website to my NCSoft account? It says that it's invalid or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom