• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itagaki Talks THQ Troubles, Devil's Third, And Next-Gen Consoles

Atomski

What was the last great game that you played?
I can’t remember which order I played, so I can’t remember the latest one. Probably Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. That was very fun.

.... seriously?

joesmokey

One of the biggest challenges with breaking into this genre is building a network from scratch that can handle party matchmaking, team voice chat, and progression smoothly – elements even some of the best shooters still struggle with. Is that something THQ is assisting you with or are you personally handling this task to reach the level gamers expect?

Do you forget that I am the first developer who succeeded to make an online 3D fighter? I am a professional at building a network. Of course THQ has given us assistance, but mainly our network systems were made by my staff.
Always so modest :).

Interview doesn't really say much about the game itself, but interesting read with Itagaki nevertheless.

duckroll

"My game runs at 30. Our graphics engine can draw very beautiful images at 30 frames per second like the Battlefield series."

Yeah.... erm... yeaaaaaaaaaah. I'll just leave that here. The Devil's Turd is going to get owned.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I don't want japanese developers to develop with 30 fps in mind. There are plenty of western devs who do that.

Doesn't sound great. Doesn't sound great for THQ either who have thrown money behind this in the hope that it sells gangbusters.

I wonder if it will be released before things get worse for THQ.

kaizenmx

Banned
I don't have problem with jap devs liking Modern Warfare 2. Even Hideo Kojima is a big fan of it.

But the fact that he says the the latest game he enjoyed playing was MW2 means the guy either doesn't play games very often or he just don't give a fuck.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Well 30fps worked fine in Vanquish so I won't abandon all hope, but still, its disappointing.

Yeah

I was always a fan of his design philosophy of putting visual and control responsiveness above all in his games.

So this running at 30 FPS is both surprising and disappointing for me

But the fact that he says the the latest game he enjoyed playing was MW2 means the guy either doesn't play games very often or he just don't give a fuck.

Probably the former. He probably started working on this around the time that game came out.

I get the feeling that DT isn't going to be an action game in the same vein as DMC or bayo.

It's been a multiplayer shooter since the day it was announced

benzy

Itagaki wanted 32 player battles, so I'm not sure why 30fps is a surprise, it's what I had suspected. It's only disappointing considering all of his previous games were 60fps bar DOAX2/NGD.

IllumiNate

The guys a Dinosaur,he needs to stop catering to the west and focus on making challenging Japanese centered titles.

ElFly

His game is launching in 2013, so it's not surprising he says it's a bad moment to release new consoles.

Hayeya

Banned
Stealth Announcement: The game is now being supervised by ninja Theory :(
You're going to taste the Feelllllllllllllllllllllll of blood ........

kaizenmx

Banned
Black Ops suck balls.

All Treyarch did was copy and paste stuffs that MW2 already had and improved upon it.

Watch they do same thing for Black Ops 2 from MW3.

pa22word

I don't have problem with jap devs liking Modern Warfare 2. Even Hideo Kojima is a big fan of it.

or it was literally the last game he played prior to the interview >_>

On topic: great interview. Mikami being ousted is incredibly saddening to hear.

Setero

Neo Member
30fps is disappointing but I'm still looking forward to this, also the Mikami part really has me wondering(is political just a mistranslation?).

wondermega

That's a pretty terrible interview. I've not read many of his, but when I have I usually stop reading them partway through for a reason; the lead-in made me expect to hear a little bit more about his relationship with THQ and it turned out to be pretty uninformative. As of right now I don't have any expectations for this game, and it's not a knock against this guy/his fans in particular, it just feels like he is over it if you read between the lines.

30fps? i thought ninjas ran at 60fps.

love his gun and military bragging in the interview. as funny as soldiers posing with their guns.

Seems like I'll still be waiting for Bayonetta 2 (or Kamiya's successor) for my next great HnS...

...I actually don't think 30fps will be a total deal breaker, but def not what I wanted.

duckroll

that's it? i was hoping that there would more to it then a MP focus. what a bummer.

It's not. There's a full single player campaign where you play as a dude on a mission of revenge. It basically sounds like Ninja Gaiden with guns by the description in the survey. It also has a multiplayer mode.

that's it? i was hoping that there would more to it then a MP focus. what a bummer.

Seems to be more of a combat game than a simple shooter. From the trailer it looks there will be both long range attacks (and that will revolve around guns) and short range ones, wheter it's by weapons or kicks and punches, depending on the character.

HOLY SHIT NO 30FPS THE GAME IS RUINED. /sarcasm

The amount of bitching in this thread is humorous. Many games look fine at 30 fps. Some look fantastic, take Uncharted 3 for example.

Top Bottom