• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itagaki Talks THQ Troubles, Devil's Third, And Next-Gen Consoles

"Do you forget that I am the first developer who succeeded to make an online 3D fighter?"

Someone should tell him he wasn't.

Then again he could have another breakdown and watch Michael Bay marathon 24-7.

Who has done it better than him? Fighters are still missing features and the stability that DOA Ultimate and DOA 4 has.

Ed Boon with MK: Deception.

1294217536480.gif

Do you know the difference between "I'm the first" and "I'm better"?

Guy is so self obsessed he makes up his own reality.

I understand the difference.

Considering Itagaki showed the game first and announced its online features long before Deception was announced, I'd give him the nod for doing it first and doing it right. Ed Boon just rushed his out to say they released one first.

GrayFoxPL

Isn't it kind of subjective though? How do you define the first game to do it 'right'? MK certainly wasn't the first game to do it.

What's subjective about being the first developer who succeeded to make to make an online 3d fighter?

He wasn't the first and however you want to play it he will always be the second.

StuBurns

Banned
What's subjective about being the first developer who succeeded to make to make an online 3d fighter?

He wasn't the first and however you want to play it he will always be the second.
Because how do you define 'succeeded'? MK:D was not the first 3D fighter with competitive online, or even close to it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Virtua Fighter, I'd assume. But let's add that "the netcode was solid, compared to other fighting games at the time" to that sentence and he's right: DoA (as much as you love/hate it) had the netcode for fighting games (3D, mostly) last gen and every game since is still playing catchup.

bangai-o

Banned
Put it this way, I am. His action games have terrible art, terrible cameras, terrible level design, terrible writing, terrible acting etc. What they do have is the most responsive and rewarding character action combat of any game ever made. You take away the one thing he's historically got right, and the appeal of the game drops profusely for me.
speaking on Ninja Gaiden Black and 2, i wouldnt characterize any portion as terrible. The camera argument was always overblown and I have yet play a 3rd person perspective game that utelizes a perfect camera. I dont know what to compare to that says these level designs were terrible. Quake 3? The level design of Black catered to the Metroidvania crowed and 2 was NES style. DEad or Alive XX Volleyball may have had a bad story and acting but it did have buttbattle so I dont know what is to compain about.

StuBurns

Banned
Lol, you guys want to defy even logic and time to prove your guru is right. Very entertaining.

popcorn.gif
The fact is, he's claiming to have done it right first. He didn't say he did it first, and you claimed someone did who was at least eight year late to being first. Maybe MK did it better than DoA, no idea.
speaking on Ninja Gaiden Black and 2, i wouldnt characterize any portion as terrible. The camera argument was always overblown and I have yet play a 3rd person perspective game that utelizes a perfect camera. I dont know what to compare to that says these level designs were terrible. Quake 3? The level design of Black catered to the Metroidvania crowed and 2 was NES style. DEad or Alive XX Volleyball may have had a bad story and acting but it did have buttbattle so I dont know what is to compain about.
The camera is really bad, and people have done it much better, but the reason it's so bad is because it's so close, so it has to move much quicker to cover the same amount of time as a normal character action camera would, and it needs to be that close for the combat to be as effective as it is. So yes, I would say it's terrible, and with very good reason, but that doesn't stop it being an irritant for me. Level design is very subjective yes, actually I prefer the straighter path of 2 significantly, so I'd say that wasn't so bad.

The camera is really bad, and people have done it much better, but the reason it's so bad is because it's so close, so it has to move much quicker to cover the same amount of time as a normal character action camera would, and it needs to be that close for the combat to be as effective as it is. So yes, I would say it's terrible, and with very good reason, but that doesn't stop it being an irritant for me. Level design is very subjective yes, actually I prefer the straighter path of 2 significantly, so I'd say that wasn't so bad.

I really never had a problem with the camera myself minus one or two spots. I always thought the camera was spot on. I agree with you the straighter path of NG2 was more enjoyable than NG1 .

StuBurns

Banned
I really never had a problem with the camera myself minus one or two spots. I always thought the camera was spot on. I agree with you the straighter path of NG2 was more enjoyable than NG1 .
Never got an off screen incendiary shuriken? I wish I could say the same.

GrayFoxPL

The fact is, he's claiming to have done it right first. He didn't say he did it first, and you claimed someone did who was at least eight year late to being first. Maybe MK did it better than DoA, no idea.

If you have no idea, then why keep insisting that you do?

Ed Boon, also "Succeeded" and was the first. Yeah, I played it. Netcode maybe wasn't dreamy but impressive enough for the time. Was DoaU better? Yes, of course. Still it wont make his statement true however you want to twist and turn definition of "succeeded".

Who did an online 3d fighter 8 year before, again?

StuBurns

Banned
If you have no idea, then why keep insisting that you do?

Ed Boon, also "Succeeded" and was the first. Yeah, I played it. Netcode maybe wasn't dreamy but impressive enough for the time. Was DoaU better? Yes, of course. Still it wont make his statement true however you want to twist and turn definition of "succeeded".

Who did an online 3d fighter 8 year before, again?
How did I insist I do know? I just know MK:D wasn't first, by a long way. Here's the quote:
I am the first developer who succeeded to make an online 3D fighter?
That could literally mean the first to make a 3D figther with competitive multiplayer, in which case, he is wrong, as are you with Ed Boon. If he means the first to do it to a high standard, I have no idea if he's correct or not.

StuBurns

Banned
Considering you can only do one melee attack in Vanquish before your energy dies, it's really not a focus. It's a showy way to end an encounter at best.

Anteater

Considering you can only do one melee attack in Vanquish before your energy dies, it's really not a focus. It's a showy way to end an encounter at best.

It's just one of the options, it's certainly not to end an encounter considering you have other weapons for your disposal, you could stun grenade them, shotgun, LFE gun to knock them down and with all of those weapons, it's enough to keep enemies down before your get out of overheat, and not to mention disc launcher is based on ammos.

GrayFoxPL

How did I insist I do know? I just know MK:D wasn't first, by a long way.
You did not know, if you did, you wouldn't ask me in the first place: "Who was?"

And you did not even answer who was that 8 years ago before Boon.

I'm sure with Itagaki's ego he just disregarded Boon, but who else he also disregarded in the same aspect?

benzy

I loved the camera in NG1. Loved the closeness of it during combat and the camera cuts after certain attacks for a more cinematic look. Didn't have any problems with incendiary shurikens since the game requires you to move and dodge anyway. Most of the time if you just wall jump or move around while blocking you can avoid the offscreen projectiles, and there were only 3-4 ninja enemies onscreen at once.

Also, I find the pulled back camera in Batman AA/C, GoW, DMC, Lord of Shadows boring as shit during combat gameplay.

The camera system turned worse in NG2 though. They made it lay flat on the ground, and the game's increase in enemies and projectile spam made it worse.

StuBurns

Banned
It just one of the options, it's certainly not to end an encounter considering you have other weapons for your disposal, you could stun grenade them, shotgun, LFE gun to knock them down and with all of those weapons, it's enough to keep enemies down before your get out of overheat, and not to mention disc launcher is based on ammos.
It's true, but it's a one use ability with a pretty healthy cool down, it also leaves you completely exposed to death for a short while, so if you're only fighting one, or a small group of enemies, you could rush in, melee then crowd control your way to getting your energy back, but in a full encounter it's pretty dangerous to run in and open with a melee attack.
You did not know, if you did, you wouldn't ask me in the first place: "Who was?"

And you did not even answer who was that 8 years ago before Boon.

I'm sure with Itagaki's ego he just disregarded Boon, but who else he also disregarded in the same aspect?
You're right, I didn't answer, because this isn't a vocal conversation, if you want to know what I said five minutes ago, you have a mouse wheel, go and look.
I don't know who was first, I just know at the very least Virtual-On for Saturn was first in 1996, and I'm not saying it is the first, but I am saying 1996 was before 2004.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Itagaki said:
Do you forget that I am the first developer who succeeded to make an online 3D fighter? I am a professional at building a network.
Ugh. Quotes like this are why I cannot stand Itagaki and, to a lesser extent, Kamiya. They're so utterly full of themselves and aloof from the industry, frequently bragging about not playing recent games, etc, that it drives me nuts. Even though a lot of the claims are true, it drives me nuts the way it's phrased.

Anteater

It's true, but it's a one use ability with a pretty healthy cool down, it also leaves you completely exposed to death for a short while, so if you're only fighting one, or a small group of enemies, you could rush in, melee then crowd control your way to getting your energy back, but in a full encounter it's pretty dangerous to run in and open with a melee attack.

Yeah, guess I was just responding to the melee part of your post, didn't really read the other posts prior to yours, but you're right melee does have a cool down and not to mention slows your character down too, so it's one of the things that I thought they could've done better, I just thought it was pretty unique when they combine it with other options

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Any evidence for this? I don't recall that, it was clearly focused on gunplay from the majority of PR released.

You're probably right. I looked and can't find anything

Yeah and I remember alot of people being really disappointed in this when the game actually came out. Which is what lead me to think they had played the melee up a bit more in pre-release material since that was an aspect so many were looking forward to in the game.

I loved the camera in NG1. Loved the closeness of it during combat and the camera cuts after certain attacks for a more cinematic look. Didn't have any problems with incendiary shurikens since the game requires you to move and dodge anyway. Most of the time if you just wall jump or move around while blocking you can avoid the offscreen projectiles, and there were only 3-4 ninja enemies onscreen at once.

Also, I find the pulled back camera in Batman AA/C, GoW, DMC, Lord of Shadows boring as shit during combat gameplay.

The camera system turned worse in NG2 though. They made it lay flat on the ground, and the game's increase in enemies and projectile spam made it worse.

The camera in NG1 (vanilla) is literally the worst of any modern 3D action game. I say this while acknowledging that the game has amazing gameplay.

Ugh. Quotes like this are why I cannot stand Itagaki and, to a lesser extent, Kamiya. They're so utterly full of themselves and aloof from the industry, frequently bragging about not playing recent games, etc, that it drives me nuts. Even though a lot of the claims are true, it drives me nuts the way it's phrased.

This is nothing, there is a games director who believes he is a peer of Shakespeare, at least Kamiya & Itagaki stick within their own industry.

kuroshiki

I will personally wait until game is out for proper judgment, but if this game turns out to be a turd, itagaki followers' mass crow eating will be HILARIOUS.

Where is your god now?

StuBurns

Banned
Because otherwise we couldn't see you posting here again? Not sure it's luck.
If you don't wish to see my posts, you may choose to do so. GAF has all the mod-cons. I should warn you though, it won't make MK:D have released ten years earlier, it'll just help you forget it didn't.

Top Bottom