• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

And if this had any truth, Wii U wouldn't be going HD, and the 360 + PS3 would be selling like shit. There is a reason why their going HD in the first place. There trying to get 3rd party support.If very few outside GAF cared about power, Nintendo wouldn't need to make an HD console in the first place.

Exactly. Plenty of people do care about HD, but it hasn't been a deal breaker for most people. I suspect if Nintendo did not make the jump this next gen they wouldn't fare nearly as well as they have this gen.

nordique

This is a close-minded way of thinking. You're assuming off the bat that PS4/720 will use standard controllers and be a simple continuation of the PS3/360, not to mention also assuming that anyone definitively knows what "this kind of power" actually is in regards to Wii U. With how much MS loves Kinect and Sony's own dabblings into motion control, it's not illogical to think that Microsoft or Sony will debut their own "Wii" style console next gen, especially when considering that even if the PS4/720 are remarkably more powerful than Wii U, what would they really get out of that? The ability to say that their games run in 1080P while Wii U games run in 720P, but are otherwise identical? The extra cost won't pay off. The amount of added visual fidelity you get for the amount of power being put in is not worth raising the manufacturing cost of every system by $40-$50. Who ever decides that it's of utmost importance to win the GPU/CPU pissing contest next gen will be the loser overall.

Besides, how many times must the market prove that system power isn't a selling point any more? PS2, Wii, DS, and 3DS all proved that people care about lots of fun games at large quantities, not visual spectacles. The video games demographic is no longer dominated by 8-12 year old boys that need something to debate on the playground.

well said, and I agree with this train of thought

It's not about power, it's about games. Can Wii U run next gen games? That's all that matters. Some are interpreting what ideaman is saying as a negative confirmation when that's simply not true. We still don't know yet, and the statements at hand can be interpreted in a variety of ways. Ideaman even goes out of his way to say this news doesn't mean the wii u is underpowered. Sheesh.

Again, It's not either or. Software is definitely the most important. I'm just saying power has a direct influence on the software. There's a reason why 3rd parties are not supporting the Wii. There is a reason why Wii U is going to be in HD.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Bad news for me...

I know the thing is that Wii u have a tablet controler but I'm not sure i can pass another generation with Nintendo giving a low graphical output.

I've never thought it would be a true generation leap or in the same ballpark as the 720/ps4 but if this information is true, it won't be able to run the next generation of games in 2 years..and no compatibility with the next-gen engines mean no third parties again..

have you been reading the same thread I have?

if the witcher 2 can be ported to 360 there should be no reason that the Wii U can't run nextbox/ps4 games. the only obstacle nintendo needs to overcome in regards to this is whether or not the Wii U runs UE4 or a derivative of it.

tkscz

Again, It's not either or. Software is definitely the most important. I'm just saying power has a direct influence on the software. There's a reason why 3rd parties are not supporting the Wii. There is a reason why Wii U is going to be in HD.

Because most 3rd party games on the Wii sold terribly, compared to Nintendo's sells.

And if this had any truth, Wii U wouldn't be going HD, and the 360 + PS3 would be selling like shit. There is a reason why their going HD in the first place. There trying to get 3rd party support.If very few outside GAF cared about power, Nintendo wouldn't need to make an HD console in the first place.

Being the most powerful system hasn't mattered (or won a console race) since the SNES era. Look at the success of the PS1 despite competing with the more powerful N64, the PS2 despite being weaker than both the GC and the Xbox, the DS despite being a full generation behind the PSP, the 3DS despite having a healthy power gap between the Vita, and the Wii despite not being able to render past 480P. Nintendo are making an HD console because, as has been mentioned before, it's a bullet point. It adds value to the console, but it is the determining factor for very, very few. And ultimately, it won't matter if the 720 is 20% more powerful or even 50% more powerful than Wii U (or vice versa). A few dozen people on the internet will compare screenshots and debate about visuals, but those people have already drawn their line in the sand over silly company loyalty and won't be swayed no matter the outcome.

To say that it is important to you that Wii U be powerful is one thing. To say that it's actually important to the company and that it will be to their detriment to be underpowered is laughable, flies in the face of the last 15 years of console sales data, and honestly can't be taken seriously. Again, the last console to be both the most powerful mainstream system on the market as well as the highest selling debuted in 1991. The weaker system has been more successful in EVERY instance in the 21 years since, suggesting that price point and quality software are considerably more important factors that should be given the kind of consideration by company exec's that people on the internet give to hardware power.

guek

Banned

Yeah, I agree. System power is just a means to an end. Of course power matters but only in relation to the availability and quality of software. Of course it has a direct influence on software but more power doesn't always = more software, as we've seen with the PS3, xbox/GC, and N64.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Fuck Secret of Mana, the game just hung up after a 2 hour play session (without saving) due to some plant casting sleep on me while I was using the whip. Fuck.

You should see how it behaves in the final dungeon. One of my party members somehow got transformed into a god damn town NPC that just walked around in place after an enemy used a balloon spell.

Well third parties not supporting the wii had nothing to do with power it was about the architecture.If the wii at least had a gpu with programmable shaders we would see more ports.

Nibel

Tell that the industry.

Journalists, analysts, enthusiasts: they all just look at the specs. It's crazy how far this has gone. Specs say nothing about a console's success.

And then there are people who can't look at their 3DS screen anymore because they are scared that they lose their eyes after their Retina experience :(

guek

Banned
And then there are people who can't look at their 3DS screen anymore because they are scared that they lose their eyes after their Retina experience :(

OMG 3DS Wii U screen too shitty compared to sexy face melting OLED retina screen! No one's going to buy that shit after they see a Vita iPad3!

This is a close-minded way of thinking. You're assuming off the bat that PS4/720 will use standard controllers and be a simple continuation of the PS3/360, not to mention also assuming that anyone definitively knows what "this kind of power" actually is in regards to Wii U. With how much MS loves Kinect and Sony's own dabblings into motion control, it's not illogical to think that Microsoft or Sony will debut their own "Wii" style console next gen, especially when considering that even if the PS4/720 are remarkably more powerful than Wii U, what would they really get out of that? The ability to say that their games run in 1080P while Wii U games run in 720P, but are otherwise identical? The extra cost won't pay off. The amount of added visual fidelity you get for the amount of power being put in is not worth raising the manufacturing cost of every system by $40-$50. Who ever decides that it's of utmost importance to win the GPU/CPU pissing contest next gen will be the loser overall.

Making an assumption that that the PS4 will be using standard controllers, when Sony's being doing that for the past 18 years & Microsoft for the past 11 is being closed minded? Untill they suggest otherwise I'm going to assume they use standard controllers as their primary control scheme.
Besides, how many times must the market prove that system power isn't a selling point any more? PS2, Wii, DS, and 3DS all proved that people care about lots of fun games at large quantities, not visual spectacles. The video games demographic is no longer dominated by 8-12 year old boys that need something to debate on the playground.
PS2 was a huge jump for the PS1 & very powerful for it's time. Xbox & GC coming out year & half later didn't change that. Power wasn't the only factor, but it was a pretty big one. The Wii was an anomaly that went against the grain which we'll never see again. And the portable market is different.

I'm not saying power is the only important thing to a console success, I'm just dismissing the fact that power doesn't matter at all.

Nibel

OMG 3DS Wii U screen too shitty compared to sexy face melting OLED retina screen! No one's going to buy that shit after they see a Vita iPad3!

I don't want dat DISGUSTING and INSULTING 2000 whatever hardware in my 2012! I want 2015 hardware in my 2012! Everything else is GARBAGE and INSULTING!

Good games? Fuck off, hombré: if I can see pixels, then the game is automatically shit. And the Wii U tablet has a shitty screen, so this console will have shitty games only.

/TechHipster

guek

Banned
to be fair, people are entitled to their own preferences when it comes to tech and the level of advancement they're comfortable with. It just becomes silly when people start assuming that their high standards are equatable to that of the masses.

Oddduck

Sounds a bit disappointing, if you ask me. Oh well, I suppose it won't matter all that much, as long as it can support (downgraded) multiplatform PS4/Durango titles.

Yeah it does sound a little disappointing.

I don't see why people act like Wii U having super intensive stuff on 2 seperate screens is so impressive. It reminds me of the 3DS where the system is working overtime just to do 3D. 3DS would have had better graphics if it wasn't working overtime to do 3D. And it sounds like Wii U is in that same position. The tech is working overtime to display stuff on the controller's screen instead of processing better image quality on your television. Also, all we heard from Nintendo was 1080p this and 1080p that. They threw around that term like crazy last E3.

I don't know if I like sacraficing graphics on my main TV screen to display stuff more smoothly on a game controller that isn't even 1080p (at least it's not 1080p based on what Nintendo's said).

Again that's my opinion so I'm not trying to shove it down anyone's throats lol.

I'm still pretty excited for the Wii U's software. Software is what matters.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wait, I thought power didn't matter? Now you're using HD as bullet point.

Technically, Wii didn't crush HD. There are more HD consoles out there then there are for the Wii. But I get your point. However motion controls was the primary reason for the Wii successs, it's a little presumptuous to think the tablet will have the same impact. What if consumers don't care? What is left to compare Wii U with the other consoles?

It appears you have zero reading comprehension because you completely misunderstood my post. Well done.

1. HD != "power" any more. Everything is in HD. It would be pointless to put out a system that only ran SD. The majority of homes finally have an HD television, which is when Nintendo said they'd put out an HD console.

2. I wasn't talking "technically" when I said Wii was crushing the HD console for years--I was talking about sales. You're actually proving my point.

3. The reason the Wii is selling terribly is because Nintendo is effectively killing it off. It has gotten almost no first-party support in the last year other than Zelda. It's done.

TunaLover

Bad news for me...

I know the thing is that Wii u have a tablet controler but I'm not sure i can pass another generation with Nintendo giving a low graphical output.

I've never thought it would be a true generation leap or in the same ballpark as the 720/ps4 but if this information is true, it won't be able to run the next generation of games in 2 years..and no compatibility with the next-gen engines mean no third parties again..

What bad news D=?

Making an assumption that that the PS4 will be using standard controllers, when Sony's being doing that for the past 18 years & Microsoft for the past 11 is being closed minded? Untill they suggest otherwise I'm going to assume they use standard controllers as their primary control scheme.

They have suggested otherwise. It's as plain as day. Sony has introduced Move and Microsoft has introduced Kinect. They've already ventured further into alternative control schemes than Nintendo ever did prior to announcing the Wii. And they're doing things like this because they know that substantial power differences don't equate to substantial visual differences any more. You need to draw people in with experiences that can't be found anywhere else, not just a prettier experience than your last system provided. To just toss out a big powerful box with a controller won't cut it which is what's led to the multimedia abilities of all three consoles and, in the Wii's instance, the nontraditional control scheme. Continue with your line of thought if you wish, but you're setting yourself up to be wrong by saying they'll continue doing what they've done because they've done it that way for a while. You would have never predicted electric cars, motion controls, touch screens, flat panels, or any other unprecedented piece of technology that has now become a staple of modern life with your way of thinking, so you can't blame people for attributing little worth to such a pedantic perspective.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
What bad news D=?

the news is relative to your expectations of course

About the resolution of the games from which my second-hand knowledge come. This may precise a tad more the Wii U power, in a specific context, how third-parties handle the system. It’s related to everything I’ve said before.

The games concerned run ALL in 720p on the main screen. For now, from the mouths of my sources, it's not a console that looks to manage software with complex engines with such ease that their resolution might be 1080p, even at 30 fps. The 720p resolution is best suited for these titles to have a smooth framerate, in addition of the subscreen.

Now let’s talk about the context, which is as important as the information itself:

- Both games have an intensive use of the padlet. More concretely, 3D scenes, different angle of what is on the TV (bird eye view for example). The system is therefore capable of displaying a main screen of AT LEAST comparable quality than current gen versions in 720p (with I guess, a certain amount of AA, etc.) AND another 480p content on the tablet.
- The titles are ports that will be available on actual HD platforms, or more “exclusive” ones but build on inhouse engines already deployed in previous softs. They aren’t tailored from A to Z for the Wii U particularities. And everything is still in development, + dependent of the evolution of dev kits that are changing regularly (at least until now). So it can only improve, and the situation may be different for Nintendo and first-party titles.
- The dev kit involved are the V4 ones. The “V5” is a little more powerful, but apparently not to a point to push these games from 720p to 1080p.
- My sources added that the resolution is the one chosen for now, but a hypothetical other power boost that may occurring post V5 need to be important to allow the system to run these games properly in 1080p.
- These titles will change in the visual department as, like I said, some effects will be applied more in the “end” of the development, with perhaps graphical features not handled by current gen, thanks to the more modern Wii U GPU. So the end result on the main screen will be prettier than on PS360, with a higher resolution (many current gen content are not in true 720p) and especially in conjunction with a heavy use of the tablet. We might expect that games leaving it for simple things will be even more impressive on the TV.

From these informations, several speculations can be derived as:
- The possibility that games with simple engines, such as family titles, Mii-based ones, etc, will be in 1080p.
- Maybe other developers, with a simplistic use of the padlet + after all the optimizations and hardware boosts/tweaking until the dev kit finalization (if they are only moderate and not extensive to a point that it will change this situation completely), will release games in 1080p (with less AA than on 720p, less FPS, etc.), but it doesn’t seem possible AT the moment, if they want their titles to reach a certain level of sophistication and quality in visuals on the TV + intricate use of the subscreen.
- I guess we can speculate further on the power and the amount of some components with this, such as memory / buffer, the GPU…

All these infos are related to my previous posts (it’s the same context) about the hardware power scale, the impressions of my sources, the tablet usage, the memory, the surprising amount of RAM occupation from the OS/Background (it will surely be better and therefore have a positive impact on the general performances, etc.).

Nothing revolutionary as I said, but it can help narrowing a little more the Wii U capacities in this particular context, what you can expect from third parties ports/not exclusive games (because having followed each page of these threads, I saw many gafers who are expecting these titles to be the 1080p versions of their current gen counterparts, but for now, it’s not the case). This does not necessarily mean that the Wii U is underpowered EITHER: manage a visually ambitious game in a solid 720p & framerate, at the minimum a bit prettier than on Xbox 360 + an additional 480p screen with a complex scene rendered on it, is not a small thing.

Oddduck

This does not necessarily mean that the Wii U is underpowered EITHER: manage a visually ambitious game in a solid 720p & framerate, at the minimum a bit prettier than on Xbox 360 + an additional 480p screen with a complex scene rendered on it, is not a small thing.

Here's what I don't understand. What if a developer chooses not to have super complex scenes rendering on the 480p screen? Like more simple stuff on the controller's screen like inventory menus, maps, etc.

Can that give a significant boost to the graphics presented on your tv screen?

To be quite honest with you guys: 720p for current gen games is pathethic. I understand that the devkits might not be optimized yet and engines have some optimization to go as well, but if the WiiU is only capable of running current games at 720p, there is simply no way in hell it's going to run next gen engines or games.

I'm more and more preparing myself to have the wiiU as my Nintendo Game machine. Probably going to get a PS4 for 3rd party games. Honestly, at this point, not being able to render current gen games in 1080p and at least 30fps is just a botched piece of hardware. If this is true, I won't spend more than 250 Euros on the WiiU.

Nibel

Here's what I don't understand. What if a developer chooses not to have super complex scenes rendering on the 480p screen? Like more simple stuff on the controller's screen like inventory menus, maps, etc.

Yes.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Let's all be honest here: Who honestly expects most 3rd parties to make a good use of that screen?

I don't. The industry has been floundering for years when it comes to innovative ideas. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

My guess is that most games take full advantage of the system's power and instead use the screen for inventory/map data at a lower resolution. If 3rd parties are clamoring for more power, that's simply what they'll do.

Oddduck

To be quite honest with you guys: 720p for current gen games is pathethic. I understand that the devkits might not be optimized yet and engines have some optimization to go as well, but if the WiiU is only capable of running current games at 720p, there is simply no way in hell it's going to run next gen engines or games.

I'm more and more preparing myself to have the wiiU as my Nintendo Game machine. Probably going to get a PS4 for 3rd party games. Honestly, at this point, not being able to render current gen games in 1080p and at least 30fps is just a botched piece of hardware. If this is true, I won't spend more than 250 Euros on the WiiU.

The only reason I find it pathetic is because all we heard out of Reggie's mouth was 1080p, 1080p, 1080p.

I expect third party sales to get a huge boost in sales on Wii U in 2012 and then completely collapse in 2013/2014 when everyone decides to buy the Xbox 720/PS4 versions of a game.

And then people will say third parties are to blame for the Wii U versions having bad sales when its completely Nintendo's fault.

Oddduck

Also I expect Wii U third party games to get their own team while 720/PS4 games have a true "next gen" team. Just like Wii 1.

It appears you have zero reading comprehension because you completely misunderstood my post. Well done.
This is great. Can't come up with a reasonable argument. Move the goal posts, come up with an Ad hominem attack. Well done.

1. HD != "power" any more. Everything is in HD. It would be pointless to put out a system that only ran SD. The majority of homes finally have an HD television, which is when Nintendo said they'd put out an HD console.

Goal posts alert! I thought Visual power doesn't matter to consumers, right? Having a system running on SD would still work on an HD TV's so what difference would it make?

2. I wasn't talking "technically" when I said Wii was crushing the HD console for years--I was talking about sales. You're actually proving my point.

"Technically" I like to use facts. Wii crushed Xbox 360, fact. Wii crushed PS3, fact. Wii crushed HD systems, not fact. I understand your overall point, but your still wrong.

HylianTom

Banned
It's not about power, it's about games. Can Wii U run next gen games? That's all that matters. Some are interpreting what ideaman is saying as a negative confirmation when that's simply not true. We still don't know yet, and the statements at hand can be interpreted in a variety of ways. Ideaman even goes out of his way to say this news doesn't mean the wii u is underpowered. Sheesh.

I tend to agree. Deep down, I bet that most people would go with being a one-console household if they were able to play most - not even necessarily "all" - of the third party titles they want.

You should see how it behaves in the final dungeon. One of my party members somehow got transformed into a god damn town NPC that just walked around in place after an enemy used a balloon spell.

I've never seen that happen.. and I've played through it a gazillion timesl Weird!

Anth0ny

bleh

no 1080p versions of current gen games kinda screams underpowered to me

It may not seem like too big a problem during the first few years of the console's lifespan, but if the rumours are true, Wii U games are probably going to look like ass compared to 720 and PS4 games later in the gen.

I certainly hope it's not this gen all over again.

Somnia

That's how I understood it. So say a game like Darksiders, say they choose to only use the tablet screen to inventory they could possibly push 1080p/60fps with enhanced visuals over the 360/ps3 or at least that's how it sounded to me.

HylianTom

Banned
Also I expect Wii U third party games to get their own team while 720/PS4 games have a true "next gen" team. Just like Wii 1.

How very optimistic!

If Nintendo Juicy™ titles get a team to begin with, I'd be surprised.

As tempting as it is to be optimistic/positive about this issue (and there certainly are reasons), I'm still skeptical of third parties. They'll point at the amount of RAM vs the others, the "odd" controller, the idea that their (usually shitty B-team) games don't sell well on Nintendo consoles..

NeoRausch

Let's all be honest here: Who honestly expects most 3rd parties to make a good use of that screen?

I don't. The industry has been floundering for years when it comes to innovative ideas. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

My guess is that most games take full advantage of the system's power and instead use the screen for inventory/map data at a lower resolution. If 3rd parties are clamoring for more power, that's simply what they'll do.
Lol what?

i'm just waiting for the first game to just show a bad compressed jpeg of the game logo all the time on the screen. Gonna happen, just wait for it.

and if you touch it, it will make a fart noise

Christine

bleh

It may not seem like too big a problem during the first few years of the console's lifespan, but if the rumours are true, Wii U games are probably going to look like ass compared to 720 and PS4 games later in the gen.

Could be. However, if they actually exist at something approximating feature parity, it's still a better 3rd party situation than Nintendo enjoyed with the Wii.

Bad news for me...

Can we stop with this "true next gen" crap? Only thing I considered "next gen", is the way we play games differently than other systems. They're more important than graphics in my opinion.

HylianTom

Banned
I met him very briefly at E3 a few years back. He's a really nice guy from what I recall.

It amazes me how fast that site can be updated.

He's an incredibly nice guy. (And his knowledge of gaming music is nigh-encyclopedic). The amount of work he does every week to collect info is astounding, and he and his crew have yet to miss a weekend for making a podcast in almost SEVEN years. That's dedication.

I wonder if there's just a guy sitting there 24/7 pressing F5 on this thread.

HEY THERE STRANGER! YOO HOO! *waves* :p

Nah.. they have eyes and ears everywhere. And an easy tip submission process.

Remember when I said that Nintendo fans would do well to give the finger to most mainstream, hardcorier-than-thou gaming news sites, and that they'd be better off going with dedicated news/fan sites? Yeah.

bleh

If those rumours are true, it's going to be exactly like this gen again. I'm sorry but anyone trying to defend WiiU being merely able to run 720p plus another 480p of current gen games is merely kidding themselves.
Sure we might get "enhanced" 360/PS3 ports for a while, but for a machine in 2012 it's hardly impressive.

Also, you can forget about having Next Gen Engines on it. Even if MS and Sony aren't going for cutting edge, they're going to outclass such a console with ease.

Even if they were able to run 720/PS4 games on the WiiU in subHD, they would still have to ignore having anything more complex than a menuscreen on the Tablet, and that would make that feature pretty much useless as it's going to be a novelty at best instead of a real enhancement of gameplay.

Top Bottom