• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

SegatoFenghsen

Neo Member
Chances are nintendo did not recycle the cube because they like to recycle but because they did not want to go deeply in the red if their paradigm shift fumbled. The cube was just something that fit the bill, plus it allowed nintendo's R&D to go elsewhere than into the silicon. In comparison, the upad is a 'safe bet' which, with the proper upad costs, allows nintendo to go more 'mainstream' on the console unit.

Exactly. The Wii was a unique case. I'm mostly a lurker that comes here to check the news, and this pessimism is getting pretty annoying. People just don't seem to give up. I doubt that the Wii U will be the Xbox of the next gen, but I think "Good enough" hardware for decent ports is likely. I think only the really stingy publishers will ignore Nintendo, and hardware will have little to do with it this time. Its not like Nintendo is going with really old architecture again. I'm more worried about how Nintendo will go about courting those publishers that are making excuses.

czk

Typical COD gamer
Man, can't we change the subject.. talking about the power based on old/no info is really not that cool, yo
yeah, but what subject can we take? it's not like there's any real new info since last e3...
which is pretty unbelievable.

If the 1 TFLOP GPU is true, that's 4x the XB360's Xenos GPU. Of course there are other things to consider, like you said, texels/s and pixels/s (texture units and ROPs, etc).

There was an alternate rumour that the Wii U would be capable of Samaritan at 720p, though that might have just been a second-order followup of that first AMD engineer thing. Samaritan at 720p would require ~1.1 TFLOPS (assuming that it scales down linearly from the stated 2.5 TFLOPS requirement of the demo at 1080p).

However, it is really important to note the cpu thing. If you're coding close to the metal on the Xbox 360, its 3-core cpu would yield higher performance than if you did a blind recompile without putting any effort into the hardware on the Wii U, given the rumours of its more powerful albeit still 3-core cpu. I personally believe that this is a major factor in most of the assertions claiming that the Xbox 360 seems to sometimes have higher performance.

I also think that there will be no consoles that have astonishingly higher cpu-dependent performance compared to the Xbox 360. I mean, is it even worth it from a heat dissipation standpoint to put in a six- or eight- core processor when you can use that extra temperature buffer to up the gpu, which is considered vastly more important in game performance?*

Rösti;36377098 said:
The search function lied to me. Ah well.

If you blink, a new page is generated while your eyes are closed.

* I'm not being an apologist nearly as much as this paragraph makes it seem

Hey, I wonder, if you're playing a game on the big screen, can you do a video-call on the small screen to your buddy across the country or around the world to get some help in the game you're playing?

Azure J

I'm probably late to this but:

The specs that have been leaked have been pretty much spot on so far. The CPU is weaker than 360 which is pretty shocking, the graphics card is DX10 class, and there was 1GB of RAM last I heard. Now some info came out that the graphics card was around the level of a 4770 and there was possibly an increase in RAM - I have no idea whether or not those are true though. It will be the Wii in terms of specs in the coming generation though, that's for sure, in that it will be a bump compared to this generation but not even close to what MS and Sony will put out. What I've heard about MS plans mirrors Alberto - they are creating a monster of a console that will make graphics whore GAF weep tears of joy.

For me this is fine. I'm just happy to be able to play Nintendo games in HD for the first time and happy that PCs will soon no longer be chained to the floor by ancient technology.

Am I the only one who was excited by this development? A more "modernized" version/variant of the HD4770 would be a really good GPU baseline for the Wii U imo. Taxing a card like that could also explain all the weird inconsistencies we've been hearing about the Wii U being X much better than the PS360 or not with padlet use incorporated.

Man, can't we change the subject.. talking about the power based on old/no info is really not that cool, yo

It sucks because one part of me really does enjoy the spec talking, but not for dick waving reasons. It's more like I want to get a grasp of what will be possible (as well as a partial confirmation that the system will see ports of games in the future when .

HylianTom

Banned
yeah, but what subject can we take? it's not like there's any real new info since last e3...
which is pretty unbelievable.

I'm trying to think this through.. if Nintendo had never shown the new uPad controller, and if they had been completely 100% mum on the topic of next-gen, saying "wait until E3" - would we be nearly this deep in speculation?

Talking a tiny bit, showing the controller and a brief video or two, and then stopping, leaving us wanting more - a bit evil?

Hiltz

Hey, I wonder, if you're playing a game on the big screen, can you do a video-call on the small screen to your buddy across the country or around the world to get some help in the game you're playing?

I think someone said that it should be technically possible after I asked a similar question months ago. Although, Nintendo has yet to demonstrate or confirm it.

Am I the only one who was excited by this development? A more "modernized" version/variant of the HD4770 would be a really good GPU baseline for the Wii U imo. Taxing a card like that could also explain all the weird inconsistencies we've been hearing about the Wii U being X much better than the PS360 or not with padlet use incorporated.

According to its info on the 'pedia, it's just short of 1 TFLOPS that we've been chatting about. It's still substantially more powerful than what is in the Xbox 360, but I agree that once you have it rendering two difference scenes at once, it would not seem so substantially more powerful.

It sucks because one part of me really does enjoy the spec talking, but not for dick waving reasons. It's more like I want to get a grasp of what will be possible (as well as a partial confirmation that the system will see ports of games in the future when .

That's one of the reasons why I'm trying to do a data dump every now and then to try to set reasonable bounds of expectation whenever somebody throws a giant vague monkey wrench around. There are people more qualified to do this, of course, but I'm hoping that it helps drive the conversation slightly away from total madness.

I'm trying to think this through.. if Nintendo had never shown the new uPad controller, and if they had been completely 100% mum on the topic of next-gen, saying "wait until E3" - would we be nearly this deep in speculation?

Talking a tiny bit, showing the controller and a brief video or two, and then stopping, leaving us wanting more - a bit evil?

But.... it's Nintendo fans.

Hey at least the negative outlook now is on par with current gen. Quite the upgrade from 2011 where it was considered fact that the WiiU would be weaker than the 360 and PS3, given the abysmal looking sizzle reel they've shown during their conference (oh the irony and crow eating)

Nibel

Hey at least the negative outlook now is on par with current gen. Quite the upgrade from 2011 where it was considered fact that the WiiU would be weaker than the 360 and PS3, given the abysmal looking sizzle reel they've shown during their conference (oh the irony and crow eating)

Quite a progress :lol
But you're right

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I can contribute though by noting nothing interesting has been found in any SEC filings lately (except for in the MoSys filing where we learned that Wii U won't incorporate 1T-SRAM) and the trademark processes seem to be progressing very slowly. For the opposition of the Wii U trademark by Information Technology Junction Ltd. in England, the current stage is with an admissibility check the Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market does for every CTM opposition. I've tried to find out how long such an admissibility check takes but found nothing. The opposition was made anyway on the 27th of January.

Admissibility check
At this stage OHIM verifies whether the Notice of Opposition complies with the formal requirements as set out in the Regulations. In other words, OHIM examines whether the Notice of Opposition is admissible. In general, two kinds of inadmissibility exist:
  • inadmissibility due to absolute deficiencies, i.e. deficiencies that cannot be remedied after the expiry of the opposition period (for example: no indication of the application against which the opposition is directed). If the opponent does not remedy these deficiencies on their own initiative within the opposition period, the opposition is inadmissible; and
  • inadmissibility due to relative deficiencies, i.e. deficiencies that can be remedied after the expiry of the opposition period. The Office invites the opponent to remedy the deficiency within a non-extendible period of two months, failing which the opposition will be rejected as inadmissible.
The correct use of the Notice of Opposition form provided by OHIM, in accordance with the relevant explanatory notes, normally ensures that the Notice of Opposition will not face any deficiency rendering it inadmissible.
Better for Nintendo would be if the opposition is found inadmissible, as otherwise this is what follows:

The "cooling-off" period
If the notice of opposition is found admissible, OHIM sends a notification to both parties setting deadlines for the proceedings. The proceedings start with a period during which parties can negotiate an agreement, the so-called "cooling-off" period. During this period the parties are given the possibility of terminating the proceedings without incurring additional costs.

The cooling-off period expires two months from the notification of admissibility. It can be extended for 22 months and can last for a total of 24 months. Once the cooling-off period has expired, the adversarial part of the proceedings begins.
Source: http://oami.europa.eu/ows/rw/pages/CTM/regProcess/oppositionProceedings.en.do

While I doubt Information Technology Junction can put up much of a fight against Nintendo, I doubt an agreement will come on day one. And in worst case scenario, this will go on for many months and Nintendo may be forced to either change the name of the console internationally or call it something else in England.

More info about this here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35825598&postcount=17588

KageMaru

Is this 1TFLOP GPU quote actual sustained performance or is like the BS estimates like the 1TFLOP total count for the 360 (lol) and 2TFLOP total for the ps3 (lol)?

That much performance on the GPU alone, in such a small box, sounds like it's just asking for heating issues.

Rösti;36377000 said:
No news, but a modest article about what it could mean for Nintendo if Wii U turns out to be little more than an Xbox 360 on steroids: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...nly-has-current-generation-hardware-power.ars

There are some key differences why the Wii-U should enjoy better support than the Wii, even if the system is a generation behind (relatively speaking) again. Disappointed Ars didn't mention this.

The M.O.B

Since this is the specualtion thread, I just asked that.

Do you guys think the odds are high or low that Pikmin for the Wii U will have online and/or voicechat???

That would be really disappointing if Nintendo thinks they are finally doing online right, but leave out basic features like this still in 2012.

Since the WiiU pad has a mic on it, I say chances are high.

Christine

Wii U had better damn well trump 360 and PS3 in OS and network features. There are a lot of ways it can make them show their age that aren't directly related to sheer rendering and computing power.

I still can't get over the fact that some thought videos of 360/PS3 games looked worse than 360/PS3 games.

Lots of people in this gen were also dead serious calling Wii games that looked slightly worse than Mario Galaxy on par with N64. Many people last gen were also convinced that PS2 had the strongest visuals.
It certainly won't get better as soon as real WiiU footage shows up, regardless of how good it might look, haha.

The M.O.B

A basic feature is to have online? Are you serious?

It's a sequel to a game that already had multiplayer so yes. Having multiplayer of any sort(unless it's a small minigame) should always be online, especially for a company with as many resources as Nintendo.

These are not some small indie guys working out of their basement.

Anth0ny

That would be really disappointing if Nintendo thinks they are finally doing online right, but leave out basic features like this still in 2012.

Since the WiiU pad has a mic on it, I say chances are high.

Nope. The mic is for Hey You Pikachu 2 and Mario Party 6... 2.

Is this 1TFLOP GPU quote actual sustained performance or is like the BS estimates like the 1TFLOP total count for the 360 (lol) and 2TFLOP total for the ps3 (lol)?

That much performance on the GPU alone, in such a small box, sounds like it's just asking for heating issues.

The TDP of the aforementioned ~0.96TFLOPS gpu on a 40nm process was 80W. Does anybody know the TDP of Xenos? I could not find it with a basic web search. All I got is that the power draw of the Xbox 360 was near to 200W as a whole. And does anybody know what the feature size on the Wii U gpu is rumoured to be?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Well, wasn't one of the key reasons to why Wii didn't feature unified (meaning an OS feature and not something specific for a certain game) online voice chat Nintendo fearing that pedophiles and other sexual predators would be searching for victims through it, seeing as a great demographic of Nintendo is adolescent children?

With Nintendo Network, I can definitely see online voice chat, though by default properly sealed behind a myriad of parental settings. It would be rather stupid to not include such a basic feature as voice chat.

Top Bottom