• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

Oddduck

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/a...look-into-the-wii-u.250088032/#post-251373767

I'll just say that the one other time we ran something using him as a source turned out to be true. The internet was abuzz with the logo of "Nintendo Network" which was found on the box of Theatrythm Final Fantasy on the 3DS. Nothing was known about it other than the logo, the name, and a screenshot of it showing up on Mario Kart 7 online. He then told us a lot more information about it, how Nintendo is going to be trying to create a more robust online system with the Wii U and 3DS and they will be stepping up the features in order to be in competition with Sony and Microsoft's online systems. A week later, Iwata had a press briefing where he spilled the beans on the Nintendo Network and how Nintendo is stepping up their online plans for the Wii U. And yes, when we posted the rumor, originally, there was a thread in Neogaf mocking it as well. And you know what? Why shouldn't they? We couldn't post the source then and I can't post it now either.

I was hoping at least that confirmed rumor would have gained us a bit of credibility.

But, in terms of this rumor- you don't have to believe it and I couldn't care less. If you know me from these boards, then you probably know me well enough to trust me that I don't make this kind of thing up. If you don't know me, then yeah, I hear why you have no reason to believe me. So, take it as you wish. It's just another rumor. But, I stand by what I said before: I didn't make anything up.

Lastly, I'll have to weigh the issue for the future of whether to post such a rumor again. On one hand, we want to give readers what they want and some of them at least are very vocal about not wanting it. On the other hand, we also want to post the news, no matter what the reaction to it is. So, I'll have to make a call next time.

That is all. I'm not arguing about this anymore. Do as you wish.

Kjellson

I'm expecting this in June:

epiciwata.jpg

GCX

But there's at least going to be a steady flow of information and Nintendos hype machine from E3 on.
This is not how Nintendo operates. After E3 there will probably be another 3 months of silence and then they release all the info about everything on a some random day.

It happened with DS and Wii.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Also at the end of the day we really dont know nothing, except it uses a modified watson and blue-ray.
It has been described as "Blu-ray like", but Wii U will not support Blu-ray, at least that is what has been reported this far. Katsuya Eguchi said in an interview with Kotaku that the proprietary disc would hold 25 GB of data.

I suggested in the earlier thread that the Wii U optical disc may be based on the ADA (Advanced Disc for Archiving) by Panasonic. It has the same size as listed by Nintendo, 120mm, and it's specifications are similar, with some greater differences of course, to that of Blu-ray, which it is based on. Now, ADA is mostly used for archiving data of pictures in the medical field, but it shouldn't be difficult to alter it to fit Nintendo's interests. Also considering Panasonic developed the optical discs for Gamecube and Wii, it would only be natural for Nintendo to continue business with them. And as far as I can see, ADA isn't operated by any other company than Panasonic, so it should be cost-efficient for Nintendo to use this format.

Here are some basic specifications:

adatavmf.png

Source: http://panasonic.net/avc/media/ada/lineup.html

Anyone that wants to compare it with Blu-ray can do so with this white paper: http://www.blu-raydisc.com/Assets/Downloadablefile/BD-ROMwhitepaper20070308-15270.pdf

Link to the interview: http://kotaku.com/5809701/wii-u-discs-will-be-25gb-in-size

Neiteio

Man, I shiver just thinking of the electrifying moment when you see Reggie walk onstage at E3 and your internal voice takes on that husky black man quality and says, SON IT JUST GOT REAL.

Nibel

Man, I shiver just thinking of the electrifying moment when you see Reggie walk onstage at E3 and your internal voice takes on that husky black man quality and says, SON IT JUST GOT REAL.

Yeah, I love all conferences at E3 - I feel like a child sometimes with the hype that overcomes my soul.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Btw, the 25GB of data thing on the disc is single-layered. So when dual-layered disc start coming, it will have the same capacity of a blu-ray, without being one.

Which is awesome news.

HylianTom

Banned
Yeah, I love all conferences at E3 - I feel like a child sometimes with the hype that overcomes my soul.

I'm waiting for an official announcement so that I can designate which days to take off. I want to be home all day on the day of and the day after Nintendo's conference.

And I don't get intoxicated often, but this event might be a good candidate.

Top Bottom