• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

BlackJace

lherre is working on it? What has he said???

tumblr_lxpesgE0OR1qjdicp.gif

If the rumor about them beefing it up to run UE4 is true, I wouldn't be surprised to see small changes to the physical case. It'll probably get a bit bigger and/or add more fan power in the back. My bet is a couple inches longer and powerful fans on the back end and sides (maybe an intake fan somewhere too).

Not a whole lot.
Just that, based on how much RAM the dev kits had that Nintendo was targeting at least 1GB of RAM in the retail unit and that they were working to optimize a popular third party engine.

He also told us about the L2 cache for the CPU being split asymmetrically and that the GPU would hang when they tried to push it early on.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Technically it was a different editor though.

point being that someone on that site reads GAF, and there is nothing wrong with that.
It just seems to be quite the coincidence that that "interview" summarizes everything we've been posting about including the story they sourced from GAF the night before and nothing more.

Glad to see the hype train keep rolling. :D Now that spring has finally pulled me out of my winter doldrums, the wait for E3 actually feel exciting rather than depressing. Onward!

guek

Banned
If the rumor about them beefing it up to run UE4 is true, I wouldn't be surprised to see small changes to the physical case. It'll probably get a bit bigger and/or add more fan power in the back. My bet is a couple inches longer and powerful fans on the back end and sides (maybe an intake fan somewhere too).

I've never been on to believe the whole small case = small power argument, but I have been thinking about this as well. On one hand, I wouldn't put it past nintendo's hardware wizardry to get something capable of running UE4 in such a tiny box. On the other hand...it's a pretty friggin small box. Personally I hope they learned from the 3DS design debacle and just redesign the whole thing to look different from the Wii. Give it racing stripes, speed holes, something.

wsippel

Banned
Rösti;35928108 said:
I suggested in the earlier thread that the Wii U optical disc may be based on the ADA (Advanced Disc for Archiving) by Panasonic.
And as I replied in the other thread, ADA is a phase change disk. The whole point of the format is that it's recordable. You can't even press the disks, every single copy would need to be recorded individiually like VHS back in the day. The format is completely useless for a console.

j.rob

(Usher voice) Yeeeeeeeeah mayne! Thread #3 baby!
I've been pretty much keeping track since the first one so let's do this.

I should really post more though instead of lurking.

Btw, I'm in the camp for a rename. Name it the Yuu perhaps?
Sounds weird I know, but so did Wii. It will stop people from thinking it's just another Wii.

HylianTom

Banned
I want another F-Zero, but the completionist in me dreads Story Mode on Hard difficulty..
(I can already feel my blood pressure rising.)

And BTW.. this thread's Galaxy talk has cemented my resolve: I will re-play the Galaxy games this summer.

guek

Banned
I want another F-Zero, but the completionist in me dreads Story Mode on Hard difficulty..
(I can already feel my blood pressure rising.)

And BTW.. this thread's Galaxy talk has cemented my resolve: I will re-play the Galaxy games this summer.

imo, Galaxy HD Collection should be a launch title. It would be so glorious and would at least sell a couple million.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
And as I replied in the other thread, ADA is a phase change disk. The whole point of the format is that it's recordable. You can't even press the disks, every single copy would need to be recorded individiually like VHS back in the day. The format is completely useless for a console.
Hmm, I don't recall seeing your post, nor replying to it. And yes, I read the specifications of this and thus I wrote "fit Nintendo's interests". Certainly wouldn't something you have to work with so much be something Nintendo would choose, but maybe a different type of this technique has been developed for Wii U, one that functions like Blu-ray with a few extra tricks up its sleeves, but without any high licensing costs.

Instro

point being that someone on that site reads GAF, and there is nothing wrong with that.
I'm just seems to be quite the coincidence that that "interview" summarizes everything we've been posting about including the story they sourced from GAF the night before and nothing more.

Oh totally.

I see in his other response he referenced an article about the Nintendo Network. Anyone know if that was legit?

Lausebub

Banned
How do you think are the boxes going to look like? I hope we get something really minimalistic, not only design wise, but also in temrs of size. Seriously, the 3DS box could have been 70% smaller and still would have had enough space for the systme, the dock and the charger.

PS: Photoshoppers, start working!

PPS: I have a random question for you guys. It has nothing to do with this thread: How do you become normal "Member"? Do you have to post for a certain amount of time? How does it work? Couldn't find anything via google or the FAQ.

guek

Banned
I'm just the kid sitting by the side of the railroad watching trains go by because it's entertaining.

Hype threads are so much fun when you're into what's being hyped. I think the fact that most of us would be relatively satisfied just to play nintendo games in HD will keep us pretty happy in the event that the wii u isn't as powerful as we'd all hoped. So if the hype train crashes and burns, we'll crawl out of the rubble with upads in tow.

I'll wager 400 quatloos that either f-zero or wave race is a launch title.

Only thing, I hope they don't rush things.

Wave race bluestorm was an amazing launch title on the Gamecube indeed, but it was too short and I feel they could have put some other tracks in it.

I gather the same thing happened with Pilotwings resort on 3DS(I haven't played it yet but I've read it's quite short).

ReyVGM

Ju
I had no idea that the F-Zero and Star Fox universes were both from the same guy. Cool!
Now they just need to put him in charge of the story for the next Metroid game (and I say that as someone who has the utmost respect for Yoshio Sakamoto).

Oh, and Cow Mendge, you should definitely check Star Fox Command out. It's not a traditional Star Fox game, but it's worth playing if you enjoy the characters and the ongoing storyline of the Star Fox series.

Absolutely not. SF Command's story felt like 100% terrible fanfiction.

ffdgh

How do you think are the boxes going to look like? I hope we get something really minimalistic, not only design wise, but also in temrs of size. Seriously, the 3DS box could have been 70% smaller and still would have had enough space for the systme, the dock and the charger.

PS: Photoshoppers, start working!

wii u pasted over the wii box?

Top Bottom