• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

Luigison

I've seen some pretty good 3D renderings: http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/614723

But what are all the edge slots for? Peripherals? I thought Nintendo decided to do less of those based on the over abundance of Wii add-ons.
nintendo-wii-u-controller-bottom-edge_slideshow_main.jpg

What add-on/peripheral(s) could they use? Vitality sensor?

Wasn't there an old rumor that the Wii U controller would sit on top of the Wii U or a charge staion and function as a clock, digital photo frame, or other display? I could easily see family pictures in a Nintendo ad directed at casual gamers. Of course there are cheap digital photo frames out there, but that's not the point. Multifunction devices are king now.

Speaking of that, any chance of CD/DVD/Bluray playback. I love using my PS3 to store my CD library and play tunes based on my mood. Pandora? Netflix? Google TV?

In Japan I hear that TV tuners are popular. Could that be possible with the Wii U? It'd be a cool picture in picture sort of setup with the Wii U carrying one of the streams. I doubt it based on Nintendo wanting to concentrate on games, but there is no such thing as a single function device anymore. Who here even wears a watch when you cell phone has the time on it as well as serving so many other functions.

Are there any other aspects of the Cafe/Stream that haven't been considered since the Wii U was revealed? Was the Stream even actually a code name?

guek

Banned
Okay.. I often have to resist yellng lyrics from Rhythm Heaven's Love Rap, and here you are saying "fo sho!"

As far as hardware stability: my main worry comes from rumors of Nintendo changing the guts, beefing them up. I hope they have time to test test test before finalizing.

Me too. I'm sure I'll be crazy into whatever they decide on though.

I've seen some pretty good 3D renderings: http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/614723

But what are all the edge slots for? Peripherals? I thought Nintendo decided to do less of those based on the over abundance of Wii add-ons.

They showed a weird gun attachment for the controller at E3, but nothing aside from that.
Wasn't there an old rumor that the Wii U controller would sit on top of the Wii U or a charge staion and function as a clock, digital photo frame, or other display? I could easily see family pictures in a Nintendo ad directed at casual gamers. Of course there are cheap digital photo frames out there, but that's not the point. Multifunction devices are king now.

Speaking of that, any chance of CD/DVD/Bluray playback.
I love using my PS3 to store my CD library and play tunes based on my mood. Pandora? Netflix? Google TV?

In Japan I hear that TV tuners are popular. Could that be possible with the Wii U? It'd be a cool picture in picture sort of setup with the Wii U carrying one of the streams. I doubt it based on Nintendo wanting to concentrate on games, but there is no such thing as a single function device anymore. Who here even wears a watch when you cell phone has the time on it as well as serving so many other functions.

Are there any other aspects of the Cafe/Stream that haven't been considered since the Wii U was revealed? Was the Stream even actually a code name?

Not much chance on disc playback, but 100% chance of services like Netflix and Hulu.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
You think we'll hear something around April 25th on the one year anniversary of the Wii Successor confirmation from Nintendo?

What event was that? It wasn't for the fiscal year since that would've been a month prior, I guess it was an investor's meeting that's monthly or something?

Hopefully the new name (if there is one) will be unveiled. My guess though is that Biometric Feedback functions within the controller/Wii-U support for the technology will be announced. If it is a system wide feature, it would make sense to announce it before-hand similar to what they did with NFC.

Otherwise it will be announced alongside a software title at E3.

guek

Banned
Man, I don't know about you guys but half the reason I want a super powerful Wii U is to see the look of shock and aw on people who think they have nintendo figured out. It would be so delicious. It would be like cartman licking up the sweet sweet tears of scott tenorman. I know I'd still be happy with a console on the weaker end of the spectrum, I just want to see how people would react if nintendo really fired on all cylinders.

aeroslash

Nice! New thread!

I wanted to say that if Wii u is able to run UE4, that's some great great news. I'm sure then, third parties will have no excuse..

It would be great if anyone could give more info about that, specially if it is the "high spec" ue4.

HylianTom

Banned
Man, I don't know about you guys but half the reason I want a super powerful Wii U is to see the look of shock and aw on people who think they have nintendo figured out. It would be so delicious. It would be like cartman licking up the sweet sweet tears of scott tenorman. I know I'd still be happy with a console on the weaker end of the spectrum, I just want to see how people would react if they really fired on all cylinders.

I'm with you 110%. I normally avoid the main gaming news sites because I find them to be rather fecal and unbalanced in their treatment of Nntendo, but they might be good for a few laughs in that scenario.

ffdgh

Nice! New thread!

I wanted to say that if Wii u is able to run UE4, that's some great great news. I'm sure then, third parties will have no excuse..

It would be great if anyone could give more info about that, specially if it is the "high spec" ue4.

3rd parties will always have an excuse..or try to find one somewhere.

Aguila

#ICONIC
*sniffs in deeply* I like the smell of new speculation threads.

Speaking of that, any chance of CD/DVD/Bluray playback. I love using my PS3 to store my CD library and play tunes based on my mood. Pandora? Netflix? Google TV?

Netflix and Hulu are a given since they are also on the Wii. There has also been rumors that Nintendo is in talks with cable/video providers like Comcast (article). I'm sure they're looking at all sorts of multimedia capabilities for the console.

Nibel

Man, I don't know about you guys but half the reason I want a super powerful Wii U is to see the look of shock and aw on people who think they have nintendo figured out. It would be so delicious. It would be like cartman licking up the sweet sweet tears of scott tenorman. I know I'd still be happy with a console on the weaker end of the spectrum, I just want to see how people would react if nintendo really fired on all cylinders.

They would still say that Nintendo didn't deliver and talk about the next Microsoft and Sony consoles being juggernauts compared to the Wii U.

guek

Banned
Nice! New thread!

Really, UE4 capability is all I really want in terms of wii u power. If ports have to be stripped down, so be it, I really don't care all that much as long as it's easy to do.

guek

Banned
They would still say that Nintendo didn't deliver and talk about the next Microsoft and Sony consoles being juggernauts compared to the Wii U.

Of course there'll be haters. There'll always be haters. But they're even more fun to watch desperately grasp at any straws when they have no real platform to stand on. Watching people try to hate on the DS after it hit its stride was hilarious. Even now I find all the absolutely desperate vita hawking and 3DS bashing to be hysterical.

HylianTom

Banned
I believe someone is missing from that hype train

She might have to buy two tickets..

FatGuy.jpeg

Of course there'll be haters. There'll always be haters. But they're even more fun to watch desperately grasp at any straws when they have no real platform to stand on. Watching people try to hate on the DS after it hit its stride was hilarious. Even now I find all the absolut
Code:
ely desperate vita hawking and 3DS bashing to be hysterical.

I died laughing when I first saw the "simply the most desired" thread title..

Well there's less information available for the other two upcoming consoles. There's also the fact that nintendo's always been such a wild card, it's fun to speculate. Oh, MS and Sony might very well do something drastic next gen as well, but we have no real evidence that would propose such a turn of events.

They'd first find ways to say it's still on par with PS360, and then when they see PS4 and XBox 3 are the same they'd claim to quit console gaming and switch to PC only. (Though some would actually convert to PC only if that happened.)

frostbyte

Of course there'll be haters. There'll always be haters. But they're even more fun to watch desperately grasp at any straws when they have no real platform to stand on. Watching people try to hate on the DS after it hit its stride was hilarious. Even now I find all the absolutely desperate vita hawking and 3DS bashing to be hysterical.

I just want the sweet, sweet tears of Nintendo haters. Not to mention the utterly biased game 'journalists'.

The "But it's Nintendo" excuse is really frustrating sometimes.

I can distinctly recall people firmly claiming back in the day that PlayStation had better graphics than N64, and that PS2 was much more powerful than Gamecube, and still many - even on this board - claim as a fact that Nintendo consoles have been always less performing than its competitors', so I gather power is just in the eye of the beholder when all is said and done and one can always bend facts if one tries hard.

Nibel

But guek, it's the most desirable handheld ever! ;)

Nah, we hype Nintendo stuff, too; everybody is allowed to hype.

guek

Banned
They'd first find ways to say it's still on par with PS360, and then when they see PS4 and XBox 3 are the same they'd claim to quit console gaming and switch to PC only. (Though some would actually convert to PC only if that happened.)

Oh my GOD, the ps4/xbox3 meltdown in the event of weaker than expected consoles is going to be so effin good.

royalan

Wow, go away for the weekend and come back to a whole new third.

3 speculation threads without a shred of news from Nintendo. That is simply amazing.

HylianTom

Banned
Oh my GOD, the ps4/xbox3 meltdown in the event of weaker than expected consoles is going to be so effin good.

When Microsoft finally "betrays the core" in order to turn their focus to their oft-stated, long-term, non-gaming-centric, control-the-living-room goal.. it's gonna be hysterical.

Why people want the one remaining gaming-centric console maker to exit the industry befuddles me.

Wasn't IdeaMan saying he'd provide more info if GDC didn't reveal anything? What happened to that?

He did.
He talked about the RAM dedicated to the OS and that the amount seemed rather large and that it was allowing for a lot of things to be done at once within the console.

frostbyte

When Microsoft finally "betrays the core" in order to turn their focus to their oft-stated, long-term, non-gaming-centric, control-the-living-room goal.. it's gonna be hysterical.

Why people want the one remaining gaming-centric console maker to exit the industry befuddles me.

I really don't know why so many people have a bias against Nintendo, especially in the industry. It's like Miyamoto killed their dog or something.

guek

Banned

Because not enough tits and guns. maybe if peach just showed off that cleavage more often...

My prediction is MS is going to shock the industry by speccing closer to wii u and focusing on set-top box status.

Top Bottom