• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

I've never been on to believe the whole small case = small power argument, but I have been thinking about this as well. On one hand, I wouldn't put it past nintendo's hardware wizardry to get something capable of running UE4 in such a tiny box. On the other hand...it's a pretty friggin small box. Personally I hope they learned from the 3DS design debacle and just redesign the whole thing to look different from the Wii. Give it racing stripes, speed holes, something.

Agreed, but "beefing up the HW" to accommodate UE4 probably involves increasing clock speeds on CPU/GPU, bus bandwidth, RAM speeds, and better probably "bigger" cooling (heasinks, fans, etc). All of which will produce a LOT more heat. So the console will have to get probably an inch or so taller, and an inch or two longer, along with very powerful case fans, maybe in multiple locations.

We have to remember, the GCN chipset never generated very much heat. Which isn't the reality of muti-core architecture these days unless it's 32nm or smaller.

guek

Banned
Absolutely not. SF Command's story felt like 100% terrible fanfiction.

Honestly, I think every game series needs something like SF command. A bastard child that's kind of under the radar where the craziest shit happens. It wasn't a big game in the franchise so no one really cares, but it's fun to point back at it and say "what the hell were they thinking??"

BlackJace

How do you think are the boxes going to look like? I hope we get something really minimalistic, not only design wise, but also in temrs of size. Seriously, the 3DS box could have been 70% smaller and still would have had enough space for the systme, the dock and the charger.

PS: Photoshoppers, start working!

PPS: I have a random question for you guys. It has nothing to do with this thread: How do you become normal "Member"? Do you have to post for a certain amount of time? How does it work? Couldn't find anything via google or the FAQ.

Sigh fine.

I think I just found out what I'm going to be setting my house's count down timer to. Is that timed for the Nintendo press event or just the opening of E3?

guek

Banned
Agreed, but "beefing up the HW" to accommodate UE4 probably involves increasing clock speeds on CPU/GPU, bus bandwidth, RAM speeds, and better probably "bigger" cooling (heasinks, fans, etc). All of which will produce a LOT more heat. So the console will have to get probably an inch or so taller, and an inch or two longer, along with very powerful case fans, maybe in multiple locations.

The current case already has several fan openings. I know very little about heat dissipation though. I mostly just want the case to change because I'm afraid people will confuse it with the old Wii. Keep the Wii U name, whatever, just make it visually distinguishable upon first glance.

I'm surprised there's no speculation thread like this for the other two consoles.

They tried one for the Durango, but no one posted.
Though, to be fair, we know about the Wii U right now.
Everything for the other two is 100% rumor.

I think I just found out what I'm going to be setting my house's count down timer to. Is that timed for the Nintendo press event or just the opening of E3?

I believe it's a rough estimate of the E3 conference, since we don't know exact times just yet.

I'm surprised there's no speculation thread like this for the other two consoles.

Not that surprising.

-Many are done with their Wiis, whilst people still using their 360/PS3 a lot
-Console already unveiled and then barely mentioned since, creating an air of mystery around it
-Nintendo fanboys are the looniest, c'mon son

HylianTom

Banned

I think the opening of E3. We don't have an announced time for the Ninty conference yet.

guek

Banned

Well there's less information available for the other two upcoming consoles. There's also the fact that nintendo's always been such a wild card, it's fun to speculate. Oh, MS and Sony might very well do something drastic next gen as well, but we have no real evidence that would propose such a turn of events.

200 posts in less than one hour. All of you should be ashamed.

Hey, I just got here! That's why it's not 250 yet ^^

You think we'll hear something around April 25th on the one year anniversary of the Wii Successor confirmation from Nintendo?

What event was that? It wasn't for the fiscal year since that would've been a month prior, I guess it was an investor's meeting that's monthly or something?

ok in 2 weeks is Daylight Savings Time.
dodge an hour there :D

Happened today for the US.

You think we'll hear something around April 25th on the one year anniversary of the Wii Successor confirmation from Nintendo?

What event was that? It wasn't for the fiscal year since that would've been a month prior, I guess it was an investor's meeting that's monthly or something?

The 2011 Fiscal Year Investors Meeting. We'll likely hear more about the Wii U, like with did at the last Investors Meeting.

The current case already has several fan openings. I know very little about heat dissipation though. I mostly just want the case to change because I'm afraid people will confuse it with the old Wii. Keep the Wii U name, whatever, just make it visually distinguishable upon first glance.

We've already heard reports of the GPU overheating and needing to be underclocked at one point. So the only way around that is to lower clocks for retail, or go for a smaller nm and keep the current case.

But I totally agree with distinguishing this console visually from the Wii.

While I'd love a new wave race, F-zero does sound like a better deal to me.

Why can't it be both? Obviously only one can be a launch title, but that just means the other gets more time in development.

Is there any way there won't be a racing game at launch? Every Nintendo console besides 64 (which still had Pilotwings) has had one.

HylianTom

Banned
If I had to choose between more-power-plus-lotsa-RROD vs less-power-but-uber-reliable.. I'd be tempted to choose the latter. They'd better uber-cool this thing.

guek

Banned

Uh, probably not anything on that particular date. I doubt it's significant. I believe there's an investor's meeting at the end of the month that begins the new quarter or something along those lines. We heard about NFC at an investor's meeting though, so its possible we'll hear something new at the end of the month. As always though, don't get your hopes too high. We all thought GDC was a lock for information...

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member

I remember them issuing a press release: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110425_4e.pdf

And it was in conjunction with the Financial Results Briefing for Fiscal Year Ended March 2011: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/110426/05.html

Well, actually WiiU has been already announced for almost a year - well, sort of... - and it's going to launch in a matter of months, whereas there's been nothing official yet about next MS and Sony's consoles, so I don't find it that surprising really.

By the way I reckon Nintendo followers for some reasons generally do enjoy this kind of stuff more than others.

We have to remember, the GCN chipset never generated very much heat. Which isn't the reality of muti-core architecture these days unless it's 32nm or smaller.

I think the latter is due more to the GPU now, but I'm sure you'd agree with what.

I also think the "beefing up the HW" that some of those articles have mentioned probably aren't focused right. I think it's more about making sure the GPU has the functionality to achieve those effects not so much as all of a sudden the GPU has 1000+ ALUs as well.

-Nintendo fanboys are also gay, c'mon son

fixed :p

mario-galaxy-urmrgay.jpg

guek

Banned
We've already heard reports of the GPU overheating and needing to be underclocked at one point. So the only way around that is to lower clocks for retail, or go for a smaller nm and keep the current case.

But I totally agree with distinguishing this console visually from the Wii.

Fo sho. I hope they really surprise us.

If I had to choose between more-power-plus-lotsa-RROD vs less-power-but-uber-reliable.. I'd be tempted to choose the latter. They'd better uber-cool this thing.

Well the RROD had little to do with the 360's powers and more to do with overall shoddy worskmanship and design iirc. It could have totally been avoided if the product wasn't so rushed.

Add the desert picture in the OP. It's perfect.

I was thinking the same thing. I love that pic...

wsippel

Banned
Rösti;35928509 said:
Hmm, I don't recall seeing your post, nor replying to it. And yes, I read the specifications of this and thus I wrote "fit Nintendo's interests". Certainly wouldn't something you have to work with so much be something Nintendo would choose, but maybe a different type of this technique has been developed for Wii U, one that functions like Blu-ray with a few extra tricks up its sleeves, but without any high licensing costs.
How does a rewritable format fit Nintendo's interests? ADA has three things to set it apart from Blu-ray: Rewritability, a filesystem optimized for backups, and a cartridge for added protection. Remove those three things Nintendo certainly isn't interested in and you end up with - you guessed it - Blu-ray. Because that's exactly what ADA is: Blu-ray-RW for professional backups.

Wiz

I've got a 1-up. Mushroom shirt for me and a yoshi shirt for the missus. Cause...first wedding day needs to be the green wedding day. :)

Those 1-up mushroom shirts are stylin'. Got me one of those a couple years ago. Nice choices. :)

HylianTom

Banned
Fo sho. I hope they really surprise us.

Well the RROD had little to do with the 360's powers and more to do with overall shoddy worskmanship and design iirc. It could have totally been avoided if the product wasn't so rushed.

I was thinking the same thing. I love that pic...

Okay.. I often have to resist yellng lyrics from Rhythm Heaven's Love Rap, and here you are saying "fo sho!"

As far as hardware stability: my main worry comes from rumors of Nintendo changing the guts, beefing them up. I hope they have time to test test test before finalizing.

Top Bottom