• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greek retiree refuses to eat from the garbage, publicly commits suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldfoot

Banned
A cash-strapped Greek pensioner shot and killed himself outside parliament in Athens on Wednesday saying he refused to scrounge for food in the rubbish, touching a nerve among ordinary Greeks feeling the brunt of the country's economic crisis.

The public suicide of the 77-year-old retired pharmacist quickly triggered an outpouring of sympathy in a country where one in five is jobless and a sense of national humiliation has accompanied successive rounds of salary and pension cuts.

More at the link.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/04/greece-suicide-idUSL6E8F47CW20120404

johnsmith

remember me
so greece doesn't need austerity cuts?

(serious question)

Austerity for Greece is like a medieval doctor bleeding a patient. He doesn't improve, so you decide he needs to bleed some more. None of the countries that have tried austerity has had it work for them.

DarkKyo

More and more the world needs this:
Al6jw.gif

TheMan

Austerity for Greece is like a medieval doctor bleeding a patient. He doesn't improve, so you decide he needs to bleed some more. None of the countries that have tried austerity has had it work for them.

In theory, how exactly is austerity supposed to help a country like greece?

SUPREME1

Banned
About a decade ago I read that Greeks, on average, were the most educated people in the world, followed closely by Jews (with Jews making the most money on average).

If true, how the fuck is Greece in such bad shape?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.

In theory, the budget is treated like a family budget. Not enough revenue, drop spending. This is supposed to increase confidence because it shows you are willing to make sacrifices to pay off loans, meaning its safe for more loans to be made in the future.

Unfortunately, revenue involves the multiplier of government investment, and when you cut that revenue decreases, leading to further spending cuts to compensate.

It's a positive feedback loop of rape.

And it doesn't inspire investor confidence because it is a spiral towards insolvency and any savvy investor will realize that.

TheMan

Cutting government spending leads to private sector "confidence," which drives investment.

Yep.

So they can pay the interest on loans lent out by multinational banks which means it'll be swell for Greece in the long run.

so the alternative would be to get a bailout in hopes that this would stimulate the economy and allow greece to pay back the old debt + bailout? but no one wanted to give greece the bailout cause they were already in a very bad way? Do i have it right?

SUPREME1

Banned
Austerity will trickle down just you wait

Austerity will trickle up first, helping the job creators, then trickle back down, helping the poor, then trickle back up, bringing the poor along with it to a new level of wealth. Everybody wins.

Austeritylia is a great land, she is.

so the alternative would be to get a bailout in hopes that this would stimulate the economy and allow greece to pay back the old debt + bailout? but no one wanted to give greece the bailout cause they were already in a very bad way? Do i have it right?

The alternative was to leave the euro and reissue the drachma to devalue their currency so that they can pay off their debts.

Yes that would have majorly sucked, but at least it would have been a solution to the problem, rather than just selling off parts of the state to give the banks more money.

Keep in mind the "bailout" is just bailing out the loans that French and German banks lent out.

johnsmith

remember me

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/20/opinion/krugman-pain-without-gain.html

Specifically, in early 2010 austerity economics — the insistence that governments should slash spending even in the face of high unemployment — became all the rage in European capitals. The doctrine asserted that the direct negative effects of spending cuts on employment would be offset by changes in “confidence,” that savage spending cuts would lead to a surge in consumer and business spending, while nations failing to make such cuts would see capital flight and soaring interest rates.

It didn't quite work out.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.

The alternative is for them to cut off their banking system and socialize it to make efforts to fix it before re-privatizing with new regulations (after leaving the euro, naturally).

Also defaulting on loans that would have a high risk of failing if the banks didn't think they could get away with it on the backs of innocent people. Which they are.

I don't understand how devaluing their currency would have helped.

They could easily repay their loans in the now-devalued currency since they can print at will. Yes this causes inflation but it beats deflation. Also a nation gets alot more leeway to deal with economic problems if it can print money.

The alternative was to leave the euro and reissue the drachma to devalue their currency so that they can pay off their debts.

Yes that would have majorly sucked, but at least it would have been a solution to the problem, rather than just selling off parts of the state to give the banks more money.

Keep in mind the "bailout" is just bailing out the loans that French and German banks lent out.
BUT CONTAGION

For the uninitiated: the hysteria about Greece has almost nothing to do with the size of its debt, but rather the fear that if it were to set a precedent for getting rid of its debt by leaving the Euro, then other countries would follow suit and the Euro would collapse. So the "sensible" alternative has been to loan Greece more and more money on terms that make it increasingly less likely to be able to repay it.

High finance!

2San

They could easily repay their loans in the now-devalued currency since they can print at will. Yes this causes inflation but it beats deflation. Also a nation gets alot more leeway to deal with economic problems if it can print money.
That's pretty much a one way ticket to hyper inflation. No one and absolutely no one will trust a currency that was forced to be created, because a country couldn't pay their debts. The new currency would be worth shit. Might as well file for bankruptcy straight away. At least you can still be in eurozone, which contrary to popular belief has been very important to these smaller countries in the euro zone.

That's pretty much a one way ticket to hyper inflation. No one and absolutely no one will trust a currency that was forced to be created, because a country couldn't pay their debts. The new currency would be worth shit. Might as well file for bankruptcy straight away.
...huh?

That's pretty much a one way ticket to hyper inflation. No one and absolutely no one will trust a currency that was forced to be created, because a country couldn't pay their debts. The new currency would be worth shit. Might as well file for bankruptcy straight away. At least you can still be in eurozone, which contrary to popular belief has been very important to these smaller countries in the euro zone.

Yep, they'd end up getting rid of their currency and probably have to switch to the euro exclusively.

Enosh

I'd really enjoy for a leader to come, round up all the bankers and nail them to the cross along whatever the eu version of wall street is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom