• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's TokuGAF 2012 | IT'S MORPHIN' TIME... Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, maybe we could compile a few recommendations from each of the big franchises (KR/SS/MH/Ultra/PR) to help newcomers. Something along the lines of:

Black/Kuuga/[W or Fourze]
Liveman/Dairanger/[Deka, Shinken or Gokai]
in Space/[Ninja Storm, Dino Thunder or SPD]/RPM

Would cover some of the more highly regarded entries of each series and give a taste of their different eras. I don't really have enough experience with the Ultra series or Metal Heroes to say anything in that regard.

While I think of it, maybe Sailor Moon and Cutie Honey: The Live should be in the "WHAT ELSE IS OUT THERE?" section.

shaowebb

More rumors about the next Kamen Rider show are going about.

Hint:

220px-Paintbrushes.jpg

The first rumors that accurately described Fourze as being space-themed and the Rider be a high school student also came out at this time last year.

Just saw this post and I got to say it has me excited. I'm betting in the Sentai/Riders event movie they tease what this is going to be just like they did with W and Accel. An art themed Kamen Rider? Sign. Me. Up. New favorite already confirmed before debut.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Just saw this post and I got to say it has me excited. I'm betting in the Sentai/Riders event movie they tease what this is going to be just like they did with W and Accel. An art themed Kamen Rider? Sign. Me. Up. New favorite already confirmed before debut.

unfortunately designs dont make the show. kiva can vouch for that

vareon

unfortunately designs dont make the show. kiva can vouch for that

Don't remind me of Kiva the show. It hurts ;_;

Yeah, maybe we could compile a few recommendations from each of the big franchises (KR/SS/MH/Ultra/PR) to help newcomers. Something along the lines of:

Would cover some of the more highly regarded entries of each series and give a taste of their different eras. I don't really have enough experience with the Ultra series or Metal Heroes to say anything in that regard.

While I think of it, maybe Sailor Moon and Cutie Honey: The Live should be in the "WHAT ELSE IS OUT THERE?" section.

Just keep it down so this doesn't become a "X should be recommended instead of Y!" thread later.

Just keep it down so this doesn't become a "X should be recommended instead of Y!" thread later.

Yeah, don't wanna start any arguments about what should or shouldn't be recommended, just figured that a "Sounds Interesting! Where Do I Start?" section in the OP would be useful if we can come to a consensus on a couple of shows to recommend.

WillyFive

I updated the OP with links and recommended shows.

Right now only the Super Sentai section is in any way presentable, since it's what I know the most about. I'd like some help in doing the Kamen Rider section, since I don't have a lot of good images for them and don't know a lot of what to say about them.

I also plan on adding Power Rangers and the Sailor Moon and Cutie Honey shows.

Also, the actor for OhRed has opened his own real life Toku bar....

DarkWish

I'll just throw in my two cents since I recently got into Super Sentai. Had been trying for years, starting with Abaranger... would watch a few episodes and then stopped. But Shinkenger was the first one I watched all the way through and loved it. Then I watched Gokaiger and loved that as well... so those two are ones I would say could be good intros to Sentai. Might not work for everyone, but it worked for me.

Now I'm enjoying both Go-busters (though I'm a few episodes behind) and Akibaranger. Will probably watch Goseiger if it doesn't get adapted into Power Rangers at some point in time.

Wiseblade

I wouldn't call him a flaw, but I was disappointed when they replaced the one that came before him. You spent the whole show with him, only to have the finale be about someone else.

The primary antagonist wasn't Walz Gil, it was the Zangyak empire. ending the show by killing of the son and leaving the head of the empire alive would have been anti-climactic and generally unsatisfactory. If anything, they should have killed him off earlier and given his father more screen time.

WillyFive

So coming off the 48fps thread, how did you guys feel when Kamen Rider went from 30fps to 24fps?

The primary antagonist wasn't Walz Gil, it was the Zangyak empire. ending the show by killing of the son and leaving the head of the empire alive would have been anti-climactic and generally unsatisfactory. If anything, they should have killed him off earlier and given his father more screen time.

Or keep his son as he was, have him replaced by his father (not killed), then have the final boss be his son.

Parallax

Damn, akibaranger really went there. Despite those....scenes, akagi and moegi had me rolling. But I kinda hope akagi being super stupid is used sparingly.

Slayven

I love forward to the Gokaiger vs Gobusters movie where enter seduces Walz' mom and they attack.

Damn, akibaranger really went there. Despite those....scenes, akagi and moegi had me rolling. But I kinda hope akagi being super stupid is used sparingly.

Akibablue is flexible as hell. She might give Jabi a run for her money.

If i can make a suggestion for Power Rangers, Time Force and Lightspeed Rescue are both really good series, and would put them close to the level of RPM as well.

Gokaiger vs Gavan

Wow this movie was really enjoyable. The film had action, plot, development, and well placed explosions! The scene with the Gobusters....eh...meh.

vareon

I can't vouch for RPM because I haven't watched it yet. Time Force was good stuff though overall.

I'm vouching for it. Seriously good stuff and just 30ish episodes.

I'm okay with the emperor replacing Walz Gil at that time...it's just that the emperor does jack shit for the remainder of the season, leaving everything to that annoying commander.

I must be the only person in the world who has Kiva as his #1 favorite Rider show. Though W is fighting for that title still, and it gets close...very very close.

vareon

I must be the only person in the world who has Kiva as his #1 favorite Rider show. Though W is fighting for that title still, and it gets close...very very close.

I have a feeling you are! What do you like about it? To me everything seems poorly explained and the characters are horrible, but Kurenai Otoya single-handedly saved the series.

WillyFive

Up until now, Akibaranger hasn't been much different from the official show in family content-wise.

Until now. That was pretty explicit.

I have a feeling you are! What do you like about it? To me everything seems poorly explained and the characters are horrible, but Kurenai Otoya single-handedly saved the series.

Yeah, I feel almost guilty. I liked the characters a lot. I liked the general wackiness (but not cartoon wackiness like Den-O), I LOVE LOVE LOVE the music. The cheesy love stories did it for me. I mean, it wasn't a mindblower as far as the plot twists went. I like how Wataru grew up, I adore Otoya for obvious reasons, Yuri and Megumi were hot, IXA was a cool Rider. I dunno, it just did it for me.

Meanwhile, everyone seems to freaking LOOOOOOOVE Faiz and that was one of my least favorites by far. I think I feel about Faiz how everyone feels about Kiva.

Parallax

Yeah, I feel almost guilty. I liked the characters a lot. I liked the general wackiness (but not cartoon wackiness like Den-O), I LOVE LOVE LOVE the music. The cheesy love stories did it for me. I mean, it wasn't a mindblower as far as the plot twists went. I like how Wataru grew up, I adore Otoya for obvious reasons, Yuri and Megumi were hot, IXA was a cool Rider. I dunno, it just did it for me.

Meanwhile, everyone seems to freaking LOOOOOOOVE Faiz and that was one of my least favorites by far. I think I feel about Faiz how everyone feels about Kiva.

I was on board with faiz until the final episodes and the ending if you want to call it that. Such a shitty way to end the series.

Slayven

Kiva felt lazy and they were making it up as they went along. Sometimes I think they just come up with very general concepts and just wing it beyond the first couple of eps.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Finished Gokaiger. Really enjoyed the season.

Things I liked:
-The Opening and Ending theme songs, they're stuck in my head
-Gokai Silver, I think having him be a Sentai fan is a genius move. It creates an interesting dynamic with the other 5. Having the others beat him up on occasion was pretty funny too
-The Gokai Changes. Pretty self explanatory. As someone who has only seen a few seasons of PR as a point of reference seeing ALL of the past Sentais was great.
-Seeing former Sentai members cameo was also great.
-GoZyuJin
-Luka

Thins I didn't like:
-Villains were pretty boring with the exception with the storyline with Barizorg.
-Constant reuse of footage and same structure. Yeah I'm sure this is something they'll never change but I kind of got sick of seeing the same 3 Final Waves. Also seeing them kill the guy, civilian problem solved, dude grows big, kill it with mecha also got tiresome.
-I'm not sure if anyone else thought this way but it felt like the team didn't care for each other until later in the season
-All of Gokai-Oh's transformations looked tacked on and ugly

I think I just dislike giant robot fights.

Not sure if I'll watch another season, maybe Go-Onger. But I basing that just on how cool I think the suits look. Was the season any good?

WillyFive

Also seeing them kill the guy, civilian problem solved, dude grows big, kill it with mecha also got tiresome.

That's the Super Sentai formula, and it might never dramatically change. It stops bothering you after a while, though.

Not sure if I'll watch another season, maybe Go-Onger. But I basing that just on how cool I think the suits look. Was the season any good?

Go-Onger is pretty much Bob the Builder with explosions. I'd skip it.

If you want something different, try Gekiranger. Excellent villains, it mixes up the formula, and the team was always very close with each other. One of the best shows of the decade, in my opinion.

Slayven

That's the Super Sentai formula, and it might never dramatically change. It stops bothering you after a while, though.

Go-Onger is pretty much Bob the Builder with explosions. I'd skip it.

If you want something different, try Gekiranger. Excellent villains, it mixes up the formula, and the team was always very close with each other. One of the best shows of the decade, in my opinion.
The fight choreography alone is a good enough reason to watch it. And Bae's made me cry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom