• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The wonders of dumpster diving

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is dumpster diving?

images

Shamelessly taken from wikipedia:
Dumpster diving (known as skipping in the UK) is the practice of sifting through commercial or residential trash to find items that have been discarded by their owners, but that may prove useful to the dumpster diver. Dumpster Diving is also viewed as an effective urban foraging technique. Dumpster divers will forage dumpsters for items such as clothing, furniture, food, and other items of the like deemed in good working conditions

What about waste?
As of 2011, 1.3 billion tons of food, about one third of the global food production, are lost or wasted annually. Loss and wastage occurs on all steps in the food supply chain. In low-income countries most loss occurs during production, while in developed countries much food – about 100 kilograms (220 lb) per person and year – is wasted at the consumption stage.

A lot of you might first think it sounds dangerous and disgusting but the reality is a lot different. You can still find food still wrapped up in package undamaged without mold or tear. Certain food types have strong packaging, or peel (like banana, pineapple, carrots) which makes it easy to just peel away whats bad. So you don't just find unhealthy ecoli/mold infested junk in the dumpster.

However the bigger problem lies in the ability to get trash. A lot of places, especially in cities they lock the trash or hide it away. Some people might go as far as trespassing, but it is not something everyone does or have to do. I myself am quite lucky where I live. The trash is basically outside, and there is no diving involved. I just open the lid of a tiny trash container and just look at whats inside and pick whats not damaged. This is not a reality for everyone, but if you look far enough you could find a similar situation too.

Just a few pictures to prove how this "trash" edible food can look like. These carrots were still in their packaging. They were turning bad on the outside so obviously the store had to throw them since they looked terrible. However on the inside they are perfectly fine as you can see as usually on some vegetables its only rotting on the outside.
527380_10151617678620077_606125076_24087879_654689151_n.jpg

The Bananas were just thrown in and I have bought many bananas in this condition and as many will know they taste just fine and havent even started to go bad other than being very ripe.
582056_10151617678760077_606125076_24087881_564933314_n.jpg

I will say this that I haven't been doing this for a long time and use this method as a supplement to my diet as what you find varies from time to time.
So are there any fellow dumpster divers on gaf?

Heres a good documentary about this phenomena:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HlFP-PMW6E

(Edit)

So I kept reading that people wanted more pictures and documentation of how dumpsterdiving is done. I got some pictures today to show how it can look like when you dumpsterdive.

576715_10151617281930077_606125076_24087659_788478313_n.jpg

Here is the back of a local small supermarket.

156400_10151617282485077_606125076_24087661_1329187568_n.jpg

One of the trashcans were already open, probably because they were not done throwing things (I went during still opening hours)

389687_10151617287735077_606125076_24087662_346704154_n.jpg

A quick blurry shot of the inside as I was in a hurry not to be seen.

398984_10151617349840077_606125076_24087674_1341857295_n.jpg

After looking for 10 seconds I picked some stuff that looked good enough on the top.

534784_10151617293395077_606125076_24087663_830927512_n.jpg

A closer look at what it is. The plastic package is cucumber pickle size.

401644_10151617355010077_606125076_24087675_1925852518_n.jpg

Look at that fine ripe banana. Bon appetit! A nice snack to have on my way home.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I can afford to buy food. Did you discover this from Portlandia or something stupid like that?

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
People who aren't homeless go into trash for food?

I thought people only did that for stuff like furniture and appliances that were fixable.

I thought people only did that for stuff like furniture and appliances that were fixable.

Why isn't food fixable in the same way? Assume you're not a number of people who have already posted, and have some argument beyond "eww gross dude".

TheMan

my wife likes to get furniture, frames, and stuff like that from the dumpster. Often times you just need to repaint it and voila, free furniture.

As for food, it's not something I would do unless I was desperate. I know that cutting out rotting parts followed by thorough cooking would render a large percentage of waste into edible foodstuffs, but there is psychological barrier there that I can't overcome.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
This is disgusting.

wtf. you eat perishables from a dumpster?

youarealreadydiseased.jpg

I can afford to buy food. Did you discover this from Portlandia or something stupid like that?

If you guys have Netflix, watch this documentary. The food is perfectly fine. Haven worked at BJs wholesale club, trust me, they throw out food for the most stupidest reasons.

totowhoa

Banned
I used to dumpster dive with a friend at certain stores for fun years ago. We only did it once or twice a week, but not for food. One day we several hundred dollars worth of makeup thrown away that we sold on craigslist. Another time we found an assortment of a dozen different nice beers behind a t-mobile place. We also found several boxes worth of CDs behind a hastings once, sold them to a used CD shop for about a hundred bucks. We also found a nice big outdoor gazebo (tent style, in a big box).

We never dove into nasty dumpsters (dumpers full of food, full of liquid, or anything else gross) or ones that were extremely full, and we mostly did it for treasure hunting. We found a lot of things to keep, and we also made money doing it every now and then.

i saw some thing on the news a while ago where people camp out around the end of the semesters by the NYU dorms. apparently those kids throw some good shit away. someone found a really old, but working ipod once

Yeah, you can find great shit if you go in the dumpsters on campus at the end of a semester when they're cleaning shit up. Laptops, game consoles, mini-fridges, all kinds of stuff.

I also had vegan friends that used to do this, but they did it for food and stuff.

i saw some thing on the news a while ago where people camp out around the end of the semesters by the NYU dorms. apparently those kids throw some good shit away. someone found a really old, but working ipod once

The amount of ignorance is disturbing. A lot of perfectly fine food goes to waste and whats disgusting about it if its perfectly fine to eat? This movement isn't something that comes from Portland or hipsters sorry.
I have already said that much food gets thrown with all the packaging. They don't just throw food because it goes bad but also due to not being able to sell enough. I can afford food just fine, but it is disturbing how we still throw so much food that should be eaten too. People are almost forgetting the a lot of food we buy aren't in the best shape. It taste the same.

If you guys have Netflix, watch this documentary. The food is perfectly fine. Having worked at BJs wholesale club, trust me, they throw out food for the most stupidest reasons.

Exactly.

I used to dumpster dive with a friend at certain stores for fun years ago. We only did it once or twice a week, but not for food. One day we several hundred dollars worth of makeup thrown away that we sold on craigslist. Another time we found an assortment of a dozen different nice beers behind a t-mobile place. We also found several boxes worth of CDs behind a hastings once, sold them to a used CD shop for about a hundred bucks. We also found a nice big outdoor gazebo (tent style, in a big box).

We never dove into nasty dumpsters (dumpers full of food, full of liquid, or anything else gross) or ones that were extremely full, and we mostly did it for treasure hunting. We found a lot of things to keep, and we also made money doing it every now and then.

That is pretty cool, but I do not know of any places that throw materials so food is much easier in my situation.
I have infact never dived into any nasty dumpster and I am not planning to as-long as I have these options. I was just shocked that some of the garbage cans locally were out in the open and it was so filled that I only had to pick the good food with my hand without resorting to digging or anything.

As for food, it's not something I would do unless I was desperate. I know that cutting out rotting parts followed by thorough cooking would render a large percentage of waste into edible foodstuffs, but there is psychological barrier there that I can't overcome.

I used to have some sort of psychological barrier but it changed after seeing a few documentaries and cooking the food myself. I would never use food that smelled bad or started rotting. Just to be on the safe side I rinse it with vinegar (which kills bacteria very well).

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Why isn't food fixable in the same way? Assume you're not a number of people who have already posted, and have some argument beyond "eww gross dude".

Not going to pretend to be a know it all on the subject, but It just seems like with an electronic device, you fix it and it serves it's purpose. I guess it depends on the type/condition of the food, but it seems to be a way bigger risk, since you are ingesting it.

TheMan

my roommate almost threw out a working dreamcast when we were in college. My other friend rescued it...would have been a crying shame.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
This has been going on for a long damn time, so these people asking about a Portlandia reference are cracking me up.

I've done this a few times with friends. They were more serious about it than I was, I was there for the sights I suppose and trying to bang this really cute vegan chick*.

mission accomplished

There's lots of perfectly fine food thrown away and some people take advantage of that, good for them. Obviously just don't be a dumbass about it and take meat and shit like that.

If you guys have Netflix, watch this documentary. The food is perfectly fine. Having worked at BJs wholesale club, trust me, they throw out food for the most stupidest reasons.

I don't think I'd ever dive myself unless I went with a group of people who already did it regularly, for my own safety and shit, but yeah this documentary really opened my eyes. Would never have even considered it before.

totowhoa

Banned
storafötter;37161343 said:
I have infact never dived into any nasty dumpster and I am not planning to as-long as I have these options. I was just shocked that some of the garbage cans locally were out in the open and it was so filled that I only had to pick the good food with my hand without resorting to digging or anything.

I guess I didn't mean to imply that whatever you were diving into was going to be nasty, but a lot of food dumpsters are pretty disgusting. From what I've seen, it just depends on the place, but I've never really looked for food.

This has been going on for a long damn time, so these people asking about a Portlandia reference are cracking me up.

I've done this a few times with friends. They were more serious about it than I was, I was there for the sights I suppose and trying to bang this really cute vegan chick*.

mission accomplished

You slept with a hobo.

Let's step back a bit.

Eating food that has been in the garbage is not safe. Not ever. And it's not because it is or isn't rotten; it's because it's been in the fucking garbage and exposed to viruses and bacteria.

There is a very important discussion to be had about throwing away perfectly safe and edible food. But it is unrelated to dumpster diving, which is never safe.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Watch this news segment on Youtube.

Let's step back a bit.

Eating food that has been in the garbage is not safe. Not ever. And it's not because it is or isn't rotten; it's because it's been in the fucking garbage and exposed to viruses and bacteria.

There is a very important discussion to be had about throwing away perfectly safe and edible food. But it is unrelated to dumpster diving, which is never safe.

Dude, food is package to hell and back, to make sure it is safe. Nobody(I would hope) would eat anything out of the dumpster that has a hole, or damaged packaging.

Not going to pretend to be a know it all on the subject, but It just seems like with an electronic device, you fix it and it serves it's purpose. I guess it depends on the type/condition of the food, but it seems to be a way bigger risk, since you are ingesting it.

There is always a risk yes, but you also use common sense when you pick the food. I tend to smell, rinse thoroughly and cut most of my food in general I buy so I throw if the food is beyond salvation from the dumpster.
Of course the food from dumpster can be poorely packaged, with a lot of holes in it inside a container with a lot of blood and rotten fish contamination. However I would never pick anything if that was the case, and very unlikely even if it was fully packaged.

Famassu

Dumpster diving is awesome. I often find all kinds of expensive food stuff that I wouldn't buy otherwise (some expensive cheese, chocolate & the like). As long as you have a freezer, the freshness of the food isn't a problem, you just have to check the "best before" date. Food is usually thrown out when it's still perfectly edible. You just have to be wise about it and of course some care needs to be taken to be sure that you aren't eating something that's already half rotten (usually you can smell if something isn't edible anymore, or with vegetables & such you can also feel if it's not in the best of conditions anymore).

And there's absolutely nothing disgusting about it. The food is still in their wrappers & whatnot. Stuff like fruits can be washed & pealed.

magicstop

I love diving. So much good food goes in there, and all it takes is time to get it back out. I'd rather spend my time getting free food than moseying about a grocery storing spending money. I score everything from gourmet cheese, free-range eggs, meat, yogurt, biscuits, eggplant, avocado, etc.

G-Fex

working at a store , I've thrown away a LOT of food. It's really a shame. Most of it is still good but customers go and open them up and eat them leaving the rest. Then the rest are blatantly wasted as customers get a huge portions of frozen foods and leave them out or put them in the refrigerator

Nevasleep

Plenty of good food gets thrown away by supermarkets and restaurants.
Some far better pictures and examples out there, which wouldn't gross people out. (Although this is Neogaf)

Ferrio

Banned
I applaud the op. The amount of food thrown out just due to imperfections is fucking horrible.

They had a show on food network where they made a huuuge party dinner from food that was going to be thrown away.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
C'mon GAF.
tumblr_ln6bhxmfb51qzaz00o1_500.png

And.
tumblr_ldnpkzUM6f1qdo9xvo1_400.gif

Dumpster babies, sure. Scimitars, hell yes. But food from a dumpster, never. Its criminal how much we thrown away but I dont think I could ever eat food that has spent any amount of time in a grimy nasty dumpster. Objects are one thing, food is totally no bueno.

Bgamer90

Banned
I could never go dumpster diving (OCD), but for the people saying, "Why would you do that??", it's very very sad how much sealed food gets wasted in this country.

e.g.: "Aww man... I got the wrong flavor by accident." ::throws in trash without opening box::

This is one the biggest "first world problems".

Persona7

Banned
I remember one time me and my friend were walking somewhere and we took a shortcut behind a grocery store and we passed the dumpster and the entire thing was FILLED with food.

Tons of sandwiches. Whole Pizzas. Sausages. Fried Chicken, entire loaves of french bread.

Everything was untouched. Why Couldn't they drop it off at a homeless shelter? Or at least call someone from the homeless shelter to come and pick it up?

The dumpster was practically overflowing.

my roommate almost threw out a working dreamcast when we were in college. My other friend rescued it...would have been a crying shame.

yeah, i never understand when people throw away working electronics and stuff. id either put it up for sale or give it away to a friend. i never throw things away unless theyre completely beat up and broken

Dude, food is package to hell and back, to make sure it is safe. Nobody(I would hope) would eat anything out of the dumpster that has a hole, or damaged packaging.

It doesn't take much to expose food to pathogens. A very small perforation in produce bag could expose that food to all sorts of nasty shit. And you'll notice that many of those fruit and vegetable bags already have very small holes in them.

I'm just trying to re-frame this argument a bit. The focus should be convincing people to buy only the food they can eat within a reasonable amount of time, and convincing supermarkets and groceries to donate food that is safe but aesthetically imperfect.

Eating food that has been in the garbage is not smart, and nobody should ever do it.

Ferrio

Banned
Everything was untouched. Why Couldn't they drop it off at a homeless shelter? Or at least call someone from the homeless shelter to come and pick it up?

Some do, but there's red tape due to liability issues etc. Most rather not take the time or money to do it.

Bgamer90

Banned
And to add on to it, one of my friends use to go to Donut Shops at 4 am to get free donuts.

The shop would toss out left over donuts from the previous day. Waste.

G-Fex

I remember one time me and my friend were walking somewhere and we took a shortcut behind a grocery store and we passed the dumpster and the entire thing was FILLED with food.

Tons of sandwiches. Whole Pizzas. Sausages. Fried Chicken, entire loaves of french bread.

It has to do with policies/restrictions.

Which is why I'll eat the candy or whatever it is. What the hell, it's getting thrown in the trash anyways.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I understand we waste a ton of food. You won't see me disputing that at all but dumpsters are the most vile thing in the world. I guess I'll just leave that food there for someone that needs it more than I do. Enjoy!

my wife likes to get furniture, frames, and stuff like that from the dumpster. Often times you just need to repaint it and voila, free furniture.

Since we're in the midst of a bed bug outbreak, I would be extremely careful when picking up discarded furniture.

Sorry, I'm being a total Debbie Downer in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom