• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worldwide Vita Sales Revealed in Sony Earnings Call (1.8 million)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Via GameTrailers

Lock if cold.

GT said:
1.8 million. That's how many PlayStation Vitas were sold as of March 31, as per Sony.

The information was revealed in a Sony earnings call following the company's annual earnings report today.

CEO Kaz Hirai on the system's sales:
"About Vita," Mr. Hirai said, "the last year, [we sold] 1.8 million units for US, Japan, Asia and Europe. And as a starting phase, I think that was a good start."

GT said:
Mr. Hirai offered the following assessment on the importance of software for the Vita, moving forward.

"A game platform, like Vita – the software is the key to success, how good the software is," he said. "We have to reinforce the software area in order to improve the business, that is the basic line.

"And vis a vis Vita, at this moment, there is no decline or lack of motivation as a portable platform. And also, in order to connect with the Network, this is a very important product indeed for us, and therefore we still have a very high motivation to develop this further. There is no change. And services and software must be strengthened.

"In other words, the collaborative approach is very important, so is third-party. And from first party studios, the titles will be presented one after the other, so please look at them and give your evaluation based on them."

GT said:
Sony expects to sell a total of 16 million PSP's and Vita's in its next fiscal year.

Nibel

Dear Sony,

please release games and you will be rewarded by your customers.

yours sincerely,
Nibel's Vita

SmokyDave

Just gimme some games! Pretty much any old thing will do (although I'll do bad, bad things for a Vita GT).

Dear Sony,

please release games and you will be rewarded by your customers.

yours sincerely,
Nibel's Vita

Co-signed,
Dave's Vita.

Maedhros

Vita needs more games. E3 and TGS will have these (at least I hope). I think they need these much more than a price drop. Value Packs would be great too.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
1.8 million worldwide in the span of 6 months?

Can't get much worse than that.

Yeah, but how much of that time was spent exclusively in Japan? This is only counting like two weeks of WW sales?

Edit: Not that it helps much since you'd think it would be pretty front loaded so far.

Edit2: Oh, February launch, not March, so that makes it even worse. Yeah...

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I think the key is as Kaz noted on the call, software. The Vita is a great system, and I love mine but all I have to play is Uncharted and Hot Shots. Yeah, there was a fairly solid launch line-up, but nothing to follow that.

Gravity Rush is coming soon, but Sony needs to push the Vita at E3.

Maedhros

Yes, it's bad, but honestly, who didn't see it coming? Sony doesn't have the pulse of the market and the design of the Vita just proves it.

Nothing wrong with Vita's design at all. The problem isn't on the design, but on price and software line-up.

"A game platform, like Vita – the software is the key to success, how good the software is."

Fucking DUH! Get your act straight, Sony! If first party doesn't deliver, don't expect third party to do so!

Burai

shitonmychest57
And from first party studios, the titles will be presented one after the other

Yeah, like when you presented Little Big Planet Karting, God of War Ascention and Battle Royale one after the other. But with no Vita versions.

Oh wow, I didn't expect anything but I think this is somehow still worse than I could have expected. Not even 2 million shipped after launching in all three territories. That's 600k each for Japan, US, Europe. D:

MRORANGE

How to save vita:

announce this:

1ey5q.jpg

or this:

Ewwc5.jpg

heck even this will do:

3oG3C.jpg

Those ain't terrible numbers at all. Better than I expected really.
Posted this in the other thread:

They've sold through ~700k in Japan, maybe 600k US with today's NPD.

That leaves <500k for all of Canada, Asia, and PAL. Terrible numbers for Europe ("Sonyland") if true.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
The Vita is great, but they need more games for it. COD will be a system seller if it looks good, but can't wait that long.

Disappointing for sure. I suspect Sony are banking on the Assassin's Creed and COD for this thing to shift units.

I reckon COD Vita will get a good push in marketing from Sony anyway.

Yeah, but how much of that time was spent exclusively in Japan? This is only counting like two weeks of WW sales?

Edit: Not that it helps much since you'd think it would be pretty front loaded so far.

Yes.

And it's been out for almost 3 months outside Japan. I don't think it's doing too hot in North America or Europe.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Nothing wrong with Vita's design at all. The problem isn't on the design, but on price and software line-up.

But... you can attribute the price and lack of software directly to the design of the system. It's not like the high cost is Sony marking up the costs to get tons of profits. They designed an expensive handheld system. No one wants to spend that much on a handheld system, so no one buys it. Developers see that no one is buying the system, so they concentrate development on other systems.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Disappointing for sure. I suspect Sony are banking on the Assassin's Creed and COD for this thing to shift units.

I reckon COD Vita will get a good push in marketing from Sony anyway.

Is assassin's creed Vita still even being made? We haven't heard anything about it, and it's not like Ubisoft haven't cancelled a game like that before, they did it with the 3DS and even that was performing better than the Vita is currently.

Top Bottom