• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worldwide Vita Sales Revealed in Sony Earnings Call (1.8 million)

Panda Rin

Based on those numbers, it looks like the Vita will do about the same or a little better than the 3DS launch. It was what I expected.

Please be joking =/

Not at all. Vita is failing in Japan because it has no relevant software but Japan is a very unique market that has not been replicated in the west. In Europe, at least, people are used to getting handheld devices which do everything for them without paying up front. Faced with spending £199 for a Vita or the same money for a Sony Xperia U (which is PS Certified) many, many people would choose the latter as it is more pocketable and more useful.

A Vita Phone in a slider format with a 4.6" screen would be an irresistible prospect for people who want to game but also don't want multiple devices. I hope Sony and Toshiba are working on getting that SoC down to 32nm sooner rather than later because the Vita needs a new SKU that people can make calls from and keep in their pocket.

Vita seemed like a bad idea from the start to me. I think Sony should have waited, designed something that costed less. For a struggling company like Sony you have to hit it out of the ballpark, if your trying to match abysmal 3DS launch numbers then you're really already in major trouble.

Gotcha. Then that just shows how greedy they really were then with not using/allow standard SD cards. :( Is the PS Vita designed in a way that they could be used or is it not physically possible?

The memory cards are almost the same size as a micro... so no.

Not at all. Vita is failing in Japan because it has no relevant software but Japan is a very unique market that has not been replicated in the west. In Europe, at least, people are used to getting handheld devices which do everything for them without paying up front. Faced with spending £199 for a Vita or the same money for a Sony Xperia U (which is PS Certified) many, many people would choose the latter as it is more pocketable and more useful.

A Vita Phone in a slider format with a 4.6" screen would be an irresistible prospect for people who want to game but also don't want multiple devices. I hope Sony and Toshiba are working on getting that SoC down to 32nm sooner rather than later because the Vita needs a new SKU that people can make calls from and keep in their pocket.

A slider phone wouldn't physically work at all. It would need significant scaling back in all manners... battery, processing, etc. Especially with the sticks and it's bulky size, no one would use it for a phone. (Though you do mention a "scale down which probably isn't possible)

That would also change the requirements of allowing one to jailbreak it. Consoles are still protected under the DMCA while phones allow jailbreaking. Sony doesn't want that.

You know - I'd love to have phone like this ;)

LayLa

Japan only

feb 26th - june 26th 2011 3DS 1,158,102
dec 17th - april 22 2012 Vita 667,877

so Vita managed just over half of 3DS, with 3DS launch marred by tsunami and Vita with the benefit of launching into the holiday season. oof.

Luigiv

I thought people didn't want "console games" on Vita?

Yes but those people are stupid. What people actually don't want are games that are a bad fit for Portables. Console games are fine as long as they fit. Little Big Planet Karting and PS All Stars would definitely fit (GoWA would be a waste of resources though).

Erethian

Most of the 1.8 million sales are front loaded from the Vita Launch. Vita sales have been abysmal. I eagerly await NPD today for the US figures.

Yeah, both Europe and Japan followed a very similar trend.

10l.jpg

Even the part where the Vita is being outsold by the PSP.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member

I agree. I think a high-end gamer focused phone would be a very nice niche for Sony.
It presents a bit of a design challenge though. The back touch panel wouldn't work well with a slider-design, since it's meant to be aligned with the screen. Using the back and front touch could be very awkward. And whether they used a slider design or not, they'd need to replace the analogue sticks with (the other type of) sliders.

faridmon

That is not bad. Considering the negative image it had on the sales charts, I expected worse. Hopefully with more gaming announcements, it should pick some steam.

I'll get mine for much discounted price this holiday season.

Based on those numbers, it looks like the Vita will do about the same or a little better than the 3DS launch. It was what I expected.

In it's first month on the market 3DS sold slightly under 400k in the US only (NPD march 2011) with only a few days on the market, Vita sold about the same in a few days of February and all of March. In Japan Vita first 4 months is 700k, 3DS first 4 months was 1 million, and Vita launched during the holidays while 3DS launched in February. Please explain how that means Vita launch is > or = 3DS launch

Concept17

This is the end of march sales yeah? Not through April?

Regardless. The system just need a 199$ and some more software. The thing is awesome and deserves support.

I don't think COD will make a lot of people buy a Vita. I don't think the multiplayer aspect will be on par enough with the console versions. Likely less players, details etc

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
3DS userbase = 9.5x Vita userbase

Doesn't mean there will be be 9x more games for 3DS, but one platform seems less risky to develop for than the other.

Is there any reason to think the 1.8 is "sold to end users" and not shipped?

So the 1.9 million 3DS launch comparison isn't exactly apples to apples if that's the case.

Culex

Banned
It worth noting how poorly Nintendo did with the 3DS before the price cut. It was also being outsold (in the US) by it's predecessor month after month. No one should overlook this fact.

The Vita launched during the holidays and is performing WORSE than the 3DS, and there shouldn't be a valid reason why this situation arose.

Vita needs compelling software yesterday, and a price cut ASAP.

Hammer24

Banned

This is actually one of the best solution proposals I´ve read to date.
But I think it wouldn´t need to be a slider, as the success of f.i. the Galaxy Note shows.

But... you can attribute the price and lack of software directly to the design of the system. It's not like the high cost is Sony marking up the costs to get tons of profits. They designed an expensive handheld system. No one wants to spend that much on a handheld system, so no one buys it. Developers see that no one is buying the system, so they concentrate development on other systems.

Agreed. The memory card pricing is proof of this.

goonergaz

A lot of delusional people here!

Let's look at JUST Japan for a minute:

1st Quarter 2012 (Jan 1st through March 31st)

3DS: 1,240,445
Vita: 202,504

Most of the 1.8 million sales are front loaded from the Vita Launch. Vita sales have been abysmal. I eagerly await NPD today for the US figures.

yes, let's look at by far the worst PSV region.

while you're at it why not show PS3 vs X360 Japan sales to show how X360 isn't selling

How much did 3DS sell in the first four months in Japan + 5 weeks in EU/USA? Just for comparisons sake.

Are you asking sell-through or sell-in?

3DS launch sell-in was 3.61M iirc, but this was an overshipment. The 1.8M is pretty much in-line with known sell-through.

PSV sell-through based on Nintendo's charts for the US, EU and Media Create for Japan = ~1.45M iirc.

Equivalent 3DS sell through = ~2.2M, maybe 2.3M.

(5 weeks of US sales after launch was ~600K.
Nintendo's charts give ~410K for 2 weeks after launch for Europe.
16 weeks of JPN sales 1.09M.)

Krev

Unconfirmed Member

while you're at it why not show PS3 vs X360 Japan sales to show how X360 isn't selling
How do you know it's the Vita's worst region?
We only have data for the Vita's first half month in the US, and fuzzy estimates about its first full one. Europe is a mystery, but Nintendo revealed some awful figures for it in their earnings report.

I think Sony made three big mistakes with Vita launch

1. They released it in Japan 3 months earlier- which means in February a lot of people in US/EU already saw bad sales numbers it had in Japan and decided to postpone buying assuming there will be pricecut.
2. They didn't include any memory inside - 2 gigs built in or 4 gig card bundled would save them tons of bad PR they got without affecting profits all that much (people would still want bigger MC) or they should have enforced every retail game working without MC.
3. They didn't annouce lineup for second half of 2012 while people are used to Sony annoucing games years before release creating no games impression (and they could have spaced launch period games better to have something new every week)

The kind of average consumer who buys a new game system has no idea how it's selling in Japan. Most 3DS buyers right now have no concept of how it might be doing worldwide, they just want to play some video games.

Memory is very important, but I'm not confident in saying that it really affected sales that much. The average consumer would get their shiny new Vita home and start playing with it before even realizing they need a card.

Announced games coming in the future is pretty important, and I think it's easy to say that software is one of its biggest issues at the moment.

Vita has sold more in Japan then anywhere else in the world, and during similar launch windows Vita sold more in Japan then it did in US/Europe.

A slider phone wouldn't physically work at all. It would need significant scaling back in all manners... battery, processing, etc. Especially with the sticks and it's bulky size, no one would use it for a phone. (Though you do mention a "scale down which probably isn't possible)

That would also change the requirements of allowing one to jailbreak it. Consoles are still protected under the DMCA while phones allow jailbreaking. Sony doesn't want that.

Sure it would work. The Xperia Play is pretty good in that respect and with shrink to 32/28nm the whole unit could be a lot slimmer. I'm not saying that it will be exactly the same as a Vita, it won't. But the fact is people aren't interested in owning a Vita, the sales have proved it, people want a single device with multiple functions.

I own a Vita because I am a gamer and I had some spare cash which was burning a hole in my pocket. However, there aren't many people like me, not enough to build a viable userbase from. Sony needs to move Vita from a device into a framework like iOS, multiple devices with shared foundations and games/apps/software or they will watch Apple come in and eat their lunch. That's why PS Suite is such an important initiative and needs to be successful for Sony to take Vita forwards.

Even if you can't see it, Sony are moving Vita into the smartphone arena, and it is likely they will release a device similar to the one I described. One of the reasons they bought Ericsson out of the JV was to "merge the PS heritage with smartphones" or something to that effect.

pestul

The 1.8 million is shipped, I doubt by the end of march sales to consumers would've been much higher than 1.4

I think so too. I doubt NPD is going to give us any clearer pictures as well.. might not ever be able to extrapolate numbers from pr statements. We really don`t know if it is shipped/sold through.

jman2050

Sony needs to move Vita from a device into a framework like iOS, multiple devices with shared foundations and games/apps/software or they will watch Apple come in and eat their lunch. That's why PS Suite is such an important initiative and needs to be successful for Sony to take Vita forwards.

Apple is going to eat their lunch anyway. Trying to compete directly on Apple's turf is the single worst thing Sony can do right now.

I think so too. I doubt NPD is going to give us any clearer pictures as well.. might not ever be able to extrapolate numbers from pr statements. We really don`t know if it is shipped/sold through.

It doesn't take a maths genius to know there is no possibility of those being sold by the end of March not shipped

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
To know how much Vita really did, we have just to examine Nintendo's FY2012 charts.

Apple is going to eat their lunch anyway. Trying to compete directly on Apple's turf is the single worst thing Sony can do right now.

Not competing is a much, much worse idea. Look at the result of Sony not competing in LCD production in the early stages of the market in 2002-2004, now they are absolutely dead in the water in one of their key markets.

If Sony just cede the handheld market to Apple it will be terrible for their future prospects in the whole smartphone and gaming arena. Not competing is not the answer, that is why Sony are in so much shit at the moment. No one is saying they should compete poorly (they will, no doubt) but they should still get in the game.

Jackano

How to save vita:

announce this:

1ey5q.jpg

or this:

Ewwc5.jpg

heck even this will do:

3oG3C.jpg

This is a ridiculous post. handheld market != console market. But it's Ok, even sony don't got it.
MonHun can only help in Japan, and Nintendo has secured MonHun 4 and already have MonHun 3G.

Top Bottom