• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worldwide Vita Sales Revealed in Sony Earnings Call (1.8 million)

so instead of 60% 3DS number, he can say it's doing almost as well as 3DS... got it!

EDIT: saw Kazerei's explanation for the number and the way he does it doesn't make any sense at all.

I understand why. It wasn't fully out in all territories with a good average month until March.

You don't base judgement on months prior to launch in several major territories because that's not a fair comparison, and you don't extrapolate the launch month because of front loaded sales.

But I still think the number's front loaded because it just launched at the end of Feb. We should extrapolate April, if anything, but we don't have that data yet.

I think people are banking on E3 too much, most people dont even know what E3 is, even if Sony blows it out the water I dont think that will do anything imo, they need the casuals and wont get them.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
How to save vita:

announce this:

http://i.imgur.com/1ey5q.jpg?1?5720[IMG]

or this:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ewwc5.jpg[IMG]

heck even this will do:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/3oG3C.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

GTAV and COD port won't save it. A stream of killer software will, together with a price cut.
Even MonHun unless it gets a special main project would have less of an impact now with 3G and 4 on 3DS.

[quote="gamergirly, post: 37737928"]Didn't it sell over a million in North America alone?[/QUOTE]

Nope. Less than half that, today's NPD day tho, so add anything from 110k to 200k to that.

[quote="PuppetMaster, post: 37737903"]Those ain't terrible numbers at all. Better than I expected really.[/QUOTE]

Those are terrible, awful numbers. Very, very hard to do worse than that with WW launch's numbers plus XMas in one region.

I thought people didn't want "console games" on Vita?

I certainly don't.

The way forward is simple on paper, but hard as hell in practice: Build unique, AAA games that can ONLY be played using the tools that Vita brings to the table. Build the games with features that can only be done on the Vita and it will stand out in a crowd of other options. There's just not enough of that yet, if at all. Gravity Rush is moving in that direction, but it's availability on other platforms takes away the uniqueness. If that could have been a Vita-only game, it would make bigger waves.

As it stands now, the weak market position of this handheld will make it hard to attract developers willing to build AAA *exclusive* and *unique* software for the device. We're much more likely to see console ports with a few "add on" features that come off as gimmicks than truly innovative and creative ideas.

Personally, I think that's the biggest problem. Without that unique, exclusive software the platform continues to wander around without an identity.

pantsmith

Gravity Rush is moving in that direction, but it's availability on other platforms takes away the uniqueness

Uh, where else can you play Gravity Rush? The whole game is built around the Vita. It's exactly the kind of game you described.

Seems like Vita is in a similar position as the 3DS was before the price drop and new software combo hit.

We'll see what Sony has in store for E3 because, other than the low sales, the Vita is a damn fine system.

Seems like Vita is in a similar position as the 3DS was before the price drop and new software combo hit.

We'll see what Sony has in store for E3 because, other than the low sales, the Vita is a damn fine system.

Unless you mean the period between the announcement of the price drop and the actual drop then yes, otherwise it's doing worse

olimpia84

Those are awful numbers for the Vita. A price drop alone won't save the system though; they need to announce a good amount of AAA games to wake up interest in the public.

CEO Kaz Hirai on the system's sales:
"About Vita," Mr. Hirai said, "the last year, [we sold] 1.8 million units for US, Japan, Asia and Europe. And as a starting phase, I think that was a good start."

I wish I could see the look on his face/eyes as he said this..

Nilaul

How to save vita:

announce this:

1ey5q.jpg

They can announce it, but nothings gonna change. COD comes to every platform sooner or later.

They can announce it, but nothings gonna change. COD comes to every platform sooner or later.

It's already announced and internally they same very excited about it from what I'm hearing - which isn't much. If they can get a proper CoD experience on a hand held, that will be a big deal. The crack-style leveling up system on the go will drive units.

StevieP

Banned
It's already announced and internally they same very excited about it from what I'm hearing - which isn't much. If they can get a proper CoD experience on a hand held, that will be a big deal. The crack-style leveling up system on the go will drive units.

I don't see how a handheld console-like CoD or a port of one of the console CoDs (which is the likely case here) is going to work in terms of pushing massive amounts of hardware. You can't really play CoD's multiplayer on 3G properly, so you'll be playing it at home on WiFi. If you're at home, well... there's this really big TV over here with a surround sound system and a PS3 conveniently hooked up to it.

sphinx

the piano man
Sorry if I am wrong but haven't all call of duty games come to every possible platform this ending generation? Even Wii and DS got those games with their dated hardware.

why wouldl CoD be something special on Vita? was some special exclusive COD game announced recently? I have no idea

jonno394

Now that I have a Vita I suddenly want to see it succeed and have loads of awesome games released as it is such a brilliant device.

Please game devs, please make good games for it.

Damn, those are Game Gear figures, or even worse, Lynx figures.

uh ya... right...

The Lynx sold fewer than 500K systems in its lifetime...

The Sega Nomad sold only 1 million systems in its lifetime...

The TurboExpress/PCEngine GT sold about 1.5 million systems in its lifetime...

The NGPC sold only 2 million systems in its lifetime... The Wonderswan fewer than that...

Even the Game Gear only sold about 11 million systems in 7 years of production, and fewer than a million in its first year...

But we'll just ignore all that and write off the Vita two and a half months after it's become available worldwide because it's only sold 1.8 million systems? During the worst recession in living memory? Ya, okay...

gotta love the Internet...

Sony wants to announce more than 20 new games (probably many Vita titles) and a price drop at E3 seems very likely. How else do they want to reach the goal of 10M sold Vitas till next year?

nexen

Just add full psp backwards compatibility and ps1 game compatibility and I do not care. It will be worth purchase price for me then.
Why haven't they done this yet?

Just add full psp backwards compatibility and ps1 game compatibility and I do not care. It will be worth purchase price for me then.
Why haven't they done this yet?

They can't add a physical UMD drive to the device without really compromising its whole design, but they could probably release an add-on, assuming it's got a data port that can handle it. But how much would it cost?

uh ya... right...

The NGPC sold only 2 million systems in its lifetime... The Wonderswan fewer than that...

Even the Game Gear only sold about 11 million systems in 7 years of production, and fewer than a million in its first year...

But we'll just ignore all that and write off the Vita two and a half months after it's become available worldwide because it's only sold 1.8 million systems? During the worst recession in living memory? Ya, okay...

You're ruining their fun with logical arguments, don't, they don't like that. These threads usually devolve in a carnaval of stupid hyperbole. Numbers are better than what anyone expected.

We all seem to forget, but besides fumbling the PS3 at lunch, the PlayStation division has always performed very good for them. So I think they know a thing or 2 of what they need to do to reach their goals.

boingball

Terrible numbers, especially since they are probably shipped and not sold to consumers. 500k are probably still lying on the shelves.

Nothing wrong with Vita's design at all. The problem isn't on the design, but on price and software line-up.

Well, if they sell it for $49 with Mario on it they would have a hit, so you are right.

The problem with the Vita:
* it does not have Mario and is not the handheld you buy for your elementary school kids
* it is not a smartphone, teenagers prefer smartphone
* same goes for twens, there is of course a big CoD group in that age group, but they play on console

The market for the Vita is terribly small...

The PSP found some success in the West as an easily hackable console and in Japan as a Monster Hunter playing machine. The Vita has not been hacked yet and it does not have Monster Hunter. Sony has to hope they find a Monster Hunter replacement for Japan. The West is lost already.

uh ya... right...

What's so great about Vita and its software lineup right now that it would have really made a difference about its sales if 'things' were better? Like 2007-better? Things are going to get worse, I believe, so I don't see the reason to be more than just timidly positive or just plain quiet about its performance while losing significant money the whole way through. This thing needs a boost far bigger than the unprecedented makeover 3DS got.

USC-fan

Banned
These thread remind of PS3 is doom or PSP is doom threads.

Wasnt just last year 3ds is doom threads were all over the place? Now we have wiiu is doomed before it isnt even launched. Too funny....

Everyone of these systems turn out fine and I see no reason why the PSvita / wii u wont be the same.

Terrible numbers, especially since they are probably shipped and not sold to consumers. 500k are probably still lying on the shelves.

Well, if they sell it for $49 with Mario on it they would have a hit, so you are right.

* it does not have Mario and is not the handheld you buy for your elementary school kids
* same goes for twens, there is of course a big CoD group in that age group, but they play on console

The PSP found some success in the West as an easily hackable console and in Japan as a Monster Hunter playing machine. The Vita has not been hacked yet and it does not have Monster Hunter. Sony has to hope they find a Monster Hunter replacement for Japan. The West is lost already.
PSP sold almost 80 million.... thats a lot of hackers. lol

muu

Sony wants to announce more than 20 new games (probably many Vita titles) and a price drop at E3 seems very likely. How else do they want to reach the goal of 10M sold Vitas till next year?

They got White Vitas going on sale 6/28 in Japan, and limited edition Miku Vitas on 8/30. Both running at the original price (add 10K for the Miku set for the game and 4GB MC it comes with). If there's gonna be a price drop it won't be until TGS.

Tookay

It isn't a big deal. Not when all of your friends are playing it on the 360 and PS3. It's a social game; why would you break away from that community, buy a Vita, and separate yourself from all that just to experience COD on a portable?

It isn't going to drive Vita sales as much as you think, not when there's a comparable home console version available.

uh ya... right...

Good, now adjust prices for inflation, and adjust sales for the population of the world with access to purchase and knowledge of these systems.

Also, where did you get your numbers? Wikipedia says 5 million Lynxes sold.

GB and Lynx released the same year. What was the discrepancy between the two at this relative time? Was it 9.5x, I wonder?

ExReey

Code:
Hardware   (Ap-Jn)'11   (Jl-Sp)'11   (Oc-Dc)'11   (Ja-Mr)'12     FY 2011       

PS3         1.8          3.7          6.5          1.9          13.9   
  360         1.7          2.3          8.2          1.4          13.6   
  3DS         0.71         2.36         8.36         2.10         13.53   
  Wii         1.56         1.79         5.61         0.88         9.84  
  PSP         1.8          1.7          2.4          0.9          6.8   
  NDS         1.44         1.14         2.06         0.46         5.10   
  PS2         1.4          1.2          0.9          0.6          4.1   

Hardware   (Ap-Jn)'10   (Jl-Sp)'10   (Oc-Dc)'10   (Ja-Mr)'11     FY 2010       

NDS         3.15         3.54         9.01         1.82         17.52   
  Wii         3.04         1.93         8.75         1.36         15.08  
  PS3         2.4          3.5          6.3          2.1          14.3   
  360         1.5          2.8          6.3          2.7          13.3   
  PSP         1.2          1.5          3.6          1.7          8.0   
  PS2         1.6          1.5          2.1          1.2          6.4   
  3DS          -            -            -           3.61         3.61

So if I get this right, the 3DS sold 3,61 mil units in its first 3 months, and the Vita 1,8 mil in its first 6 months? Doesn't sound too good.

They got White Vitas going on sale 6/28 in Japan, and limited edition Miku Vitas on 8/30. Both running at the original price (add 10K for the Miku set for the game and 4GB MC it comes with). If there's gonna be a price drop it won't be until TGS.

Announcing these so stupidly far in advance is yet more evidence of Sony not having a clue, between now and then it will probably depress sales even further

muu

Haven't you seen the recent sales numbers? Vita already doesn't have a chance in Japan. Monster Hunter is on 3DS now. Hardware sales anywhere from 6:1 ~ 10:1 on a consistent basis. 3DS faced similar hurdles last year against the PSP (though not nearly as bad), but that was against a handheld that was on its way out. 3DS is only going to gain strength, and even if Vita sales rates double in Japan from here onwards there will still be a 5mil+ gap in the user base. The market for Vita may be small in the states and EU, but that's their only real bet at survival.

Announcing these so stupidly far in advance is yet more evidence of Sony not having a clue, between now and then it will probably depress sales even further

I'm dumbfounded as to why they didn't announce the white Vita at E3, a month before launch. Now instead of 4 weeks after a possible showing of exciting new games for Vita, we have users waiting for 8 weeks for a new color that was announced with little to no fanfare.

I don't see how a handheld console-like CoD or a port of one of the console CoDs (which is the likely case here) is going to work in terms of pushing massive amounts of hardware. You can't really play CoD's multiplayer on 3G properly, so you'll be playing it at home on WiFi. If you're at home, well... there's this really big TV over here with a surround sound system and a PS3 conveniently hooked up to it.

Maybe someone else wants to watch TV and I don't want to sit in a dark room alone when I game? Or maybe I want to play during lunch at work? Or maybe I want to play when I go to someone's house?

It isn't a big deal. Not when all of your friends are playing it on the 360 and PS3. It's a social game; why would you break away from that community, buy a Vita, and separate yourself from all that just to experience COD on a portable?

It isn't going to drive Vita sales as much as you think, not when there's a comparable home console version available.

regarding COD & Vita it is like talking to a brick wall sometimes!

People dont wanna accept responses like yours. As far as they are concerned, its COD and that means instant success!

gogogow

So if I get this right, the 3DS sold 3,61 mil units in its first 3 months, and the Vita 1,8 mil in its first 6 months? Doesn't sound too good.

The Vita has been out in (fiscal year ended on 31st of March):
JP for 3½ months
US for 1½ months
EU for 1¼ months

So no, it's not Vita's first 6 months.

Top Bottom