• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worldwide Vita Sales Revealed in Sony Earnings Call (1.8 million)

enishi

For christmas maybe, but for the 1st 3 months of this shitty (recession-wise) year its almost the same as global PS3 sales, and more than the 360 and Wii, 300k less than the 3DS.

Not bad i think.

Major release dates
==============
Japan - 17 Dec 2011 (3 months and 2 weeks)
HK, Taiwan - 23 Dec 2011 (3 months and 1 week)
Korea - 11 Feb 2012 (1 month and 3 weeks)
NA, EU, Singapore - 22 Feb 2012 (1 month and 1 week, but NA has first bundle edition on 15 Feb)
AU - 23 Feb 2012 (1 month and 1 week)

PSP needs to be cut, production optimizations need to be made to reduce costs. Sell at lower cost to increase buyers. Either that or do Vita/Card bundles.

Effect

- The Vita sitting on a Best Buy shelf that could eventually belong to me

Also, drop the price of memory cards, you cocks

Drop the price of memory cards or just include a 4 or 8GB (or come out with a 2GB) and include a game with the wifi system. That would be get me to pick up one leading into the summer or when Gravity Rush comes out. The lack of games and the price of entry is just to high I think. For what the Vita is the $250 asked compared to the 3DS is reasonable I think. They have to sell what it can do in both software and in system apps. Where is their video service? What does their shop look like? What is offered in it?

Is Sony actively trying to even sell the system and it's features?

Drop the price of memory cards or just include a 4 or 8GB (or come out with a 2GB) and include a game with the wifi system. That would be get me to pick up one leading into the summer or when Gravity Rush comes out. The lack of games and the price of entry is just to high I think. For what the Vita is the $250 asked compared to the 3DS is reasonable I think. They have to sell what it can do in both software and in system apps. Where is their video service? What does their shop look like? What is offered in it?

Is Sony actively trying to even sell the system and it's features?

4 gig is useless, cut it from production... cut costs of multiple card versions.

Dear Sony,

PS1 support and just pay devs to put their PSN games on Vita with cross platform play. Would love some Awesomenauts or Rainbow Moon on the Vita

Signed,

Hampster Pampster's Vita

Is assassin's creed Vita still even being made? We haven't heard anything about it, and it's not like Ubisoft haven't cancelled a game like that before, they did it with the 3DS and even that was performing better than the Vita is currently.

Well I suppose your guess is as good as mine haha. I'm sure at E3 we'll find out though.

It still boggles my mind that Sony didn't secure an all new exclusive MH for Japan and a real CoD or GTA for the rest of the world (the latter might still happen around E3).

Scratch some first party stuff like Resistance/Killzone and let some cash flow to two key third party franchises, just to help your new console stand on its own two feet.

Maedhros

But... you can attribute the price and lack of software directly to the design of the system. It's not like the high cost is Sony marking up the costs to get tons of profits. They designed an expensive handheld system. No one wants to spend that much on a handheld system, so no one buys it. Developers see that no one is buying the system, so they concentrate development on other systems.

Oh, I see what you're talking about. I stand corrected then.

I tought a system as powerfull as Vita could stand a chance on the market too (Nintendo tought that too, but with 3D as the novelty/gimmick). Clearly whatever isn't labelled as smartphone/Apple these days don't have a chance with high prices.

A price reduction to $200 would be cool. But I don't think Sony can do that now.

I got rid of my Vita and 3DS, just wasnt using at all, will purchase down the line, I was playing my PSP and DS Lite more. : (

enishi

According to Eurogamer:

The 1.8m figure is for the whole FY, i.e. including sales in Japan, HK, Taiwan in December.

With Media Create number, YTD until 1 Jan 2012 in Japan is around 435k. Assuming the number from HK + Taiwan is small (say 10k), the sales in Q1 2012 will be 1.35m

goonergaz

Vita has only been sold outside Japan for less than 2 mths right?

I don't think these figures are awful...esp considering the climate and competition (3DS price cut must have hurt) - once the PSV sees a price cut & a few more decent games (it was a great launch line-up) things will pick up I'm sure.

According to Eurogamer:

Not so bad then?

I love my Vita. It has plenty of games for me and still gets a lot of play. Don't get the complaints about a lack of games. I DO think it needs a few big title announcements at E3 for the fall and a price drop to $199 in August.

When CoD hits, a bundle wouldn't be a bad idea.

edgefusion

If they hope to sell that many PSP/Vitas over the next fiscal year they've gotta have something up their sleeve for E3. Right? Right you guys?

They expect to sell 16 million handhelds by next year? I really think 1.8 million is the number of people who were interested in a Vita who could swing the current price or who were willing to take the early adopter risk.

They have some good upcoming software, but I'd be surprised if they sold more than another 300k until the price goes down. I hope I'm wrong, but it's still what I'm waiting for.

If they hope to sell that many PSP/Vitas over the next fiscal year they've gotta have something up their sleeve for E3. Right? Right you guys?

I'm really excited to see Sony's conference at E3. Just as much as I am to see Nintendo's roll out of software for Wii U.

Effect

4 gig is useless, cut it from production... cut costs of multiple card versions.

Not if you aren't going to be downloading a lot. If you are then one can invest in a larger card. Since some games require a memory card at all to even play they should include at least something to get rid of that requirement/problem to get systems off the shelves.

zroid

Banned
hmm if the Vita actually sold 600k worldwide in March, it might be doing about as well in North America and Europe as the 3DS. I mean, the 3DS isn't doing great there, but it's something.

deadlast

Sony says they have 20 games to show at this years E3. I think the vast majority of those games will be for the Vita.

neoemonk

I have one, and I've manage to log a lot of time between Hot Shots Golf and Disgaea 3. I'll pick up MK if the price drops.

If the Vita does die, let it happen after Persona 4 and BioShock and I'll be ok with it. Not happy, but ok.

I think Sony made three big mistakes with Vita launch

1. They released it in Japan 3 months earlier- which means in February a lot of people in US/EU already saw bad sales numbers it had in Japan and decided to postpone buying assuming there will be pricecut.
2. They didn't include any memory inside - 2 gigs built in or 4 gig card bundled would save them tons of bad PR they got without affecting profits all that much (people would still want bigger MC) or they should have enforced every retail game working without MC.
3. They didn't annouce lineup for second half of 2012 while people are used to Sony annoucing games years before release creating no games impression (and they could have spaced launch period games better to have something new every week)

I have one, and I've manage to log a lot of time between Hot Shots Golf and Disgaea 3. I'll pick up MK if the price drops.

If the Vita does die, let it happen after Persona 4 and BioShock and I'll be ok with it. Not happy, but ok.

Vita isn't going to die. I'm not even worried about it.

Not if you aren't going to be downloading a lot. If you are then one can invest in a larger card. Since some games require a memory card at all to even play they should include at least something to get rid of that requirement/problem to get systems off the shelves.

It shouldn't be just about games though. It's has heavy media features and social apps that save data to your unit. They need to promote the use of all of Vita's features.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
hmm if the Vita actually sold 600k worldwide in March, it might be about as well in North America and Europe as the 3DS. I mean, the 3DS isn't doing great there, but it's something.
That's still very close to launch. With the big gaps in the schedule it won't sustain that level of sales.

Chesskid1

Banned
guys, sony sold over 1.8 MILLION vitas and they were BARELY trying.

imagine how many they will sell across the next couple months/year now that they know they need to get software out.

boom.

This is what happens when a handheld product is launched without a phone SKU.

Until people can get a Vita Phone on contract and pay nothing upfront I don't see it being a success at least in Europe where people are used to getting devices for free.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
That's still very close to launch. With the big gaps in the schedule it won't sustain that level of sales.

I was actually surprised Vita didn't beat the 3DS in March. I figured launch hype would still help it throughout March to let it edge out.

Until people can get a Vita Phone on contract and pay nothing upfront I don't see it being a success at least in Europe where people are used to getting devices for free.

The 3DS is doing just fine right now. Sure, it's not doing smart phone numbers but I think it would be foolish to expect it to.

Please be joking =/

Culex

Banned
A lot of delusional people here!

Let's look at JUST Japan for a minute:

1st Quarter 2012 (Jan 1st through March 31st)

3DS: 1,240,445
Vita: 202,504

Most of the 1.8 million sales are front loaded from the Vita Launch. Vita sales have been abysmal. I eagerly await NPD today for the US figures.

A lot of delusional people here!

Let's look at JUST Japan for a minute:

1st Quarter 2012 (Jan 1st through March 31st)

3DS: 1,240,445
Vita: 202,504

Most of the 1.8 million sales are front loaded from the Vita Launch. Vita sales have been abysmal. I eagerly await NPD today for the US figures.

We're going to have to wait awhile to hear about Vita numbers unless it did insanely well.

Effect

It shouldn't be just about games though. It's has heavy media features and social apps that save data to your unit. They need to promote the use of all of Vita's features.

Gotcha. Then that just shows how greedy they really were then with not using/allow standard SD cards. :( Is the PS Vita designed in a way that they could be used or is it not physically possible?

Top Bottom