• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UbiSoft: Rayman Legend WiiU exclusive, ZombiU launch title, one UPad support only

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Interview here.

Poix said:
So just to introduce myself, I’m Xavier Poix, I’m the managing director of the French studios. We have three main studios in France. The biggest one is in Paris, where we do the Just Dance games, we do the Rabbids games, and we just finished Ghost Recon recently. We have another studio in Montpelier dedicated to action-adventure games. In the past, that’s Beyond Good and Evil, King Kong, Rayman, the Rabbids as well. They’re developing Rayman Legends, which will be shown at E3 this year. And another title called Zombie U, dedicated for Wii U, I’ll speak again about that. And the last studio is in Annecy, where we are developing the multiplayer for Assassin’s Creed, four years now. Each studio has its own specialty, but this year, what brings us to E3 is the Wii U. We have developed for two years now, working on a few titles. Game one is Zombie U that we’ll announce tomorrow I think, at our conference. That’ll be shown at the booth obviously. It’s dedicated for the Wii U, dedicated for the new game pad of course. And on the mature level, dedicated for adult gamers. We then have Rayman Legends, which is a Wii U exclusive title on the Rayman brand. Just Dance won’t be specific to the Wii U, but we have specific features for the Wii U, later on we’ll explain exactly what we will have. And the Rabbids, which is an exclusive game also, Rabbids is a party game, this is a party game for the Wii U. We also have other titles, coming from other studios. We have eight titles for the Wii U.

Poix said:
So Zombie U is really dedicated to that. It’s what the second screen can bring to the experience of a zombie survival game. We like to say that it’s two screens, twice the feel. So we’re getting a lot of what this new screen can bring to the tension, bring to the game. We have many features, it will be hard to describe them without showing it, but basically… It controls the inventory, the tools for snipers for instance, it can be more accurate on the firing. You can use it as a scanner, you can use it for some exotic gameplay when you need to enter some codes to move some stuff on your screen while your character is on the screen surrounded by zombies… So many features are for the main character. We’ll be showing it at the booth. It brings some new experiences, such as… It’s an asymmetrical experience. One of the players uses the usual controllers, the other one has the game pad. Of course, if you were playing adversarial on the same objective, then it won’t be fair, because one player has the tactical screen and stuff. So we decided to go for adversarial where… It’s very funny. One person with the classic controller plays FPS against the zombies. The other one is the zombie master, selecting types of zombies and, by pressing on the screen, making them appear on the maps. It’s very interesting. You’re the computer, so to speak, and the other player is playing against you. It’s a really new way of playing, it’s very interesting. The Rabbids game is totally dedicated to that as well, we have 20 mini-games dedicated to this activity of asymmetrical gameplay. It’s very funny, because once you have played one side, you can play as the other side. It’s two kinds of gameplay in one. That’s really what the Wii U can bring to players.

Poix said:
(ZombiU is) Realistic, totally realistic. And the horsepower of the console is really there to push the limits........No, it’s totally hardcore. Yeah, sorry, totally hardcore. Oh, we have a really nice mechanic I can mention… You start with the camera in front of you on the controller. We’ve implemented a system of tracking, so it watches your face, and then it applies to your face a mask, a zombie mask. You’re able to still move, and the mask exactly follows your moves. It’s really interesting, seeing yourself as a zombie. It’s a gimmick, but it’s really nice.

GamesBeat: Is the zombie title going to be a launch title, most likely?

Poix: Yes.
We have huge support from Nintendo on this title, huge support. You’ll see something tomorrow at our conference, and then something else at the Nintendo one.

GamesBeat: How many players can you get on the Wii U at once? Is it four or is it two…?

Poix: On the controller it’s just the one. One person. But you can still play with the four Wiimotes if you have four. So it adds up to five players.
But you can still play with the four Wiimotes if you have four. So it adds up to five players.

GamesBeat: I think a lot of people want that second tablet controller to work at the same time. That would be great, right?

Poix: I don’t know, honestly I don’t know. What the asymmetrical gameplay brings, it’s really interesting. But I don’t think it’s totally necessary.

More information on ZombiU and the Wii-U in general is at the link. ZombiU will be at Nintendo's press conference tomorrow and playable on the showfloor. It will be a launch title.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Just a FYI- the PR Ubisoft sent out in no way mentioned exclusivity, unlike the Zombie game.

linko9

Just a FYI- the PR Ubisoft sent out in no way mentioned exclusivity, unlike the Zombie game.

If it wasn't exclusive, I'm sure they would have just announced the other versions at the conference. It's not like it was the Nintendo conference or something. Seems clear to me that it's exclusive.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

Yet it didn't mention any other platforms as well. Could be a timed exclusive, but then again seems like Poix wouldn't of mentioned it or said nothing at all.

I'd say the developers know fully well what of their titles are exclusives on what platform, and Xavier Poix obviously mentioned WiiU exclusivity.

Not to say you're wrong or anything, just wanted to mention that.

I'm hyped for the game. I still haven't bought Rayman Origins yet. I need that before I get and play Legends.

Antioch

I hope ZombiU isn't rushed out for launch as a compromise of the game's quality, like Red Steel. Reason I say so is that it has obviously not been the zombie game for long, as it was still Killer Freaks not long ago.

schuelma

If it wasn't exclusive, I'm sure they would have just announced the other versions at the conference. It's not like it was the Nintendo conference or something. Seems clear to me that it's exclusive.

I disagree. Nintendo might have a deal to promote the game with Ubisoft, and maybe Ubisoft wants to really push the Wii U version, but if it was an exclusive, why would you not just say so?

udivision

I'm kinda of tired of the Zombie craze, but it could be interesting if a high-tension game takes advantage of having to look away from the action.

Erethian

After hearing about the 'switching to a new character when you die/hunting down your old stuff on your zombified past self' mechanic, pretty excited for ZombieU. Wonder how open the environments will be, cause a fully open-world zombie survival horror game could be pretty cool.

Sandfox

Didn't that Rayman trailer ubisoft leaked mention PS3/Xbox?

that wasn't supposed to be released to the public so for all we know Nintendo could've offered them some sort of deal. of course there's also the possibility that the guy being interviewed is simply incorrect.

donny2112

From the interview, it sounds like he's saying only one Wii U pad supported for Rayman Legends and not that Wii U will only support one Wii U pad. Seems an important distinction to make.

Even if Wii U will support two pads, it seems unlikely that many games will utilize that. May use it for like GBA-GCN connectivity type additional content, and not make a main game around it.

schuelma

Yes, I know. I originally posted that article like 3 hours ago. I am saying the PR and the introduction of the title at the event did not make it seem like it was exclusive.

I am so wanting this Zombie game to be really, really awesome and not turn out like the last time Ubisoft released a "hardcore" game for a Nintendo home console at launch.

Tentatively optimistic. Red Steel was a let down, or maybe I was just over-hyped.

Rabbids Land is also confirmed to be a party game, which is weird that it doesn't have Raving in the name.

Also, another site said that there's 4 mini-games, but I'd imagine that these are well in-depth, so I guess they'd be sub-games?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Yes, I know. I originally posted that article like 3 hours ago. I am saying the PR and the introduction of the title at the event did not make it seem like it was exclusive.

Well at the conference, when they were finishing up with Rayman and moving onto ZombiU, they said "Here's another wiiu exclusive"

From the interview, it sounds like he's saying only one Wii U pad supported for Rayman Legends and not that Wii U will only support one Wii U pad. Seems an important distinction to make.

Even if Wii U will support two pads, it seems unlikely that many games will utilize that. May use it for like GBA-GCN connectivity type additional content, and not make a main game around it.

That's not how I read it. Sounds to me like the console only supports one GamePad at a time.

Kanguro

Neo Member
Everything seems to point to this being no more than a timed exclusive, if that:

- Auxiliary use of the WiiU pad. If it was really exlcusive, why wouldn't the game be designed around using the pad, rather than having it be an auxiliary tool for a second player while the main player controls Rayman?

- They're not screaming exclusive from the rooftops (Nintendo nor Ubisoft)

- Ubisoft's track record with being cagey about platforms (see Assassins Creed circa PS3 launch)

- 3rd party exclusives are dead. Origins was released on every single conceivable platform, why would Ubisoft suddenly go exclusive with Legends?

But really the most telling thing is the fact that the Wii U functionality is NOT AIMED AT THE MAIN PLAYER. It just makes no sense for an actual exclusive.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Wait until tomorrow. I'm sure you'll find out whether it is an exclusive or not at Nintendo's conference.

Nice interview, btw.

daffy

Banned
Ubisoft is crazy if they think the gaming community will sit down and take this. You don't make a game for every system and then make an exclusive. We're taking this shit to Rennes.

Anth0ny

Surprised Rayman is Wii U exclusive considering Origins was on just about every platform on Earth.

ZombiU is Red Steel 2.0. Not looking forward to it.

One controller is a bummer.

Dalthien

What I mean is that we have no idea how the sales split among the platforms, i.e. what percentage e.g. PS3 contributed to the sales.

At the end of the year (2 months), it was 35/35/30 (Wii>360>Ps3) in terms of percentage of sales. Basically an even split across the systems in the US.

Davey Cakes

Rayman Origins sold enough to be profitable, and it took multiple platforms to make it so. But maybe Nintendo paid for exclusivity with Legends, and are willing to help Ubi market the game in order to help it reach the same level of sales on a single console. You never know.

Pyronite

It sold 50k across all platforms in its first month. Ubi said the game ended up being profitable, but I don't think anyone would consider that a major success.

It sold much more than that in the end. I don't want you misleading gamers with your post.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
ZombiU was the game in the Nintendo video from yesterday too btw.

Burekma

By... being a game for Wii U?
By being exclusive to the Wii-U, yes. It means I won't be able to play it, even though I really liked the first one... which was on pretty much everything. Not really hard to understand why I'd be pissed.

And no, I don't have money to buy a new console anytime soon. Shit economy, unemployment and all that.

Top Bottom