• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UbiSoft: Rayman Legend WiiU exclusive, ZombiU launch title, one UPad support only

By being exclusive to the Wii-U, yes. It means I won't be able to play it, even though I really liked the first one... which was on pretty much everything. Not really hard to understand why I'd be pissed.

And no, I don't have money to buy a new console anytime soon. Shit economy, unemployment and all that.
When in doubt, port beg.

Anyway, I hope the d-pad placement on the Classic Controller is comfortable if Rayman Legends is really a Wii exclusive.

AniHawk

Rayman Origins sold enough to be profitable, and it took multiple platforms to make it so. But maybe Nintendo paid for exclusivity with Legends, and are willing to help Ubi market the game in order to help it reach the same level of sales on a single console. You never know.

what's weird is that yeah, okay, nintendo consoles do the platformer thing well, generally speaking, but rayman legends will be doing kinda almost exactly what nsmb will be doing at launch.

so maybe mario isn't a launch game? kinda weird.

Ridley327

what's weird is that yeah, okay, nintendo consoles do the platformer thing well, generally speaking, but rayman legends will be doing kinda almost exactly what nsmb will be doing at launch.

Maybe Nintendo is going to prop it up as their big introduction to the NFC reader/writer, as well as asymmetrical multiplayer? I can't imagine NSMB doing anything similar in either regard.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I doubt NSMB Mii is a launch game, highly doubt it. Will be a May 2013 title, calling it now.

I really enjoyred the interactivity of the tablet during the Rayman presentation. It definitely made me smile.

Ubisoft has easily had the best presentation of the companies; yet to be determined if they can be better than Nintendo.

Maybe Nintendo wants to hold off on the Wii U Mario to give NSMB2 time to sell millions.

Plus it'd have more of a system-selling effect later in the system's life than at launch, where the console should sell buttloads anyway (unless it's overpriced and has no games, only the former is probable).

dwu8991

Banned
I really enjoyred the interactivity of the tablet during the Rayman presentation. It definitely made me smile.

Ubisoft has easily had the best presentation of the companies; yet to be determined if they can be better than Nintendo.

kind of like what Nintendo did first in SMG

To be fair while this game made a profit it didn't sell too hot.

Possibly by being exclusive it will appeal and stand out to more people, especially on a likely library starved system (like most launch window consoles).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Very interesting move from Ubi. I'm betting that they don't want to repeat the mistake of ignoring the Wii

Ubi supported the Wii pretty well at first, loads better than EA... but then something happened, and they stopped. Which is odd because their two launch games both sold over a million copies.

Glass Joe

I doubt NSMB Mii is a launch game, highly doubt it. Will be a May 2013 title, calling it now.

I'm not saying your wrong, but I'd be surprised. Actually, I'm just conflicted. On one hand having a 2D Mario on 3DS in August and a 2D Mario on Wii U in November is completely redundant. They need to space that shit out. But on the other hand, Nintendo specifically said that they wouldn't make the same mistake they made with 3DS by not launching it with must have games. Pikmin won't be enough. Hell, it wasn't even enough for Gamecube.

I'd like to think that Nintendo realizes that launching with a Mario title was a good tradition in the past and something they should go back to. MAAAYBE the U will launch with Mario Kart instead. I doubt 3D Mario would be ready but again, maybe. Just seems like a 2D Mario could be slapped together much easier in comparison to anything else and there's already footage, so it will be interesting to see how it plays out. Perhaps a DK:R sequel will be their killer app, too, since it sold so well for Wii.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Ubi supported the Wii pretty well at first, loads better than EA... but then something happened, and they stopped. Which is odd because their two launch games both sold over a million copies.

One of which was Rabbids, which got 4 further installments (one of which was actually half-decent).

The other of which was Red Steel, which got a high budget sequel that ran into production difficulties and needed to be rebooted at least once, maybe twice, and ended up being a pretty good game with some high profile retail pushes--to little/no success.

But they continued their support anyway, leading to Just Dance, easily the shittiest game franchise to ever crack a million, let alone ten. I like dancing games, btw, this isn't me moaning about casuals or whatever. I just think Just Dance itself is a particularly bad dancing game.

I think all things considered, that's pretty meaty support.

The lack of Tom Clancy and AC stuff is pretty much all on the Wii's hardware profile and the move to UE3 as middleware.

Isn't that still bannable? Not really good advice, if so. :lol

We're going to try to clarify things a little bit more when E3 settles down (we've got a draft that I contributed to on the subject), but for now the short version is to think of it as a subset of system wars stuff in general. If someone is disrupting a thread by pushing a platform-based agenda, they'll get whacked. E3 threads move fast enough that I'm a lot less concerned about someone just passively saying "What no <x> SKU awww man" or that kind of stuff.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm not saying your wrong, but I'd be surprised. Actually, I'm just conflicted. On one hand having a 2D Mario on 3DS in August and a 2D Mario on Wii U in November is completely redundant. They need to space that shit out. But on the other hand, Nintendo specifically said that they wouldn't make the same mistake they made with 3DS by not launching it with must have games. Pikmin won't be enough. Hell, it wasn't even enough for Gamecube.

I'd like to think that Nintendo realizes that launching with a Mario title was a good tradition in the past and something they should go back to. MAAAYBE the U will launch with Mario Kart instead. I doubt 3D Mario would be ready but again, maybe. Just seems like a 2D Mario could be slapped together much easier in comparison to anything else and there's already footage, so it will be interesting to see how it plays out. Perhaps a DK:R sequel will be their killer app, too, since it sold so well for Wii.

Watch, tomorrow will have some totally unexpected system selling thing. It will be so sweet.

jman2050

Ubisoft was the only company to put forth any effort on the Wii. Granted, a lot of that effort was questionable and their biggest success ended up being a terrible dancing game, but it paid dividends for them nonetheless.

Will be interesting to see how ZC3 does on WiiU.

Watch, tomorrow will have some totally unexpected system selling thing. It will be so sweet.

I'm waiting to hear about Pikmin 3 and there's gotta be a least one or two killer apps(keen to WiiSports) that they have been doodling with. I dont see Star Fox, Metroid, or Zelda being there. At least for Wii U. No sense in getting a heart attack early....

I can barely watch any of the videos, due to living in nowhere and having slow as fuck internet, but I'm excited to see a bit from ZombiU. And Rayman is always good. Good show, Ubisoft.

It is a shame Red Steel 2 sold poorly. It had some stupid design issues, but it's seriously my favorite-playing action game of this gen. I'd kill for another sequel, especially with the added power of the WiiU behind it. They'be got a potential moneymaker in the series, I'm sure of it. It just needs to be marketed the right way.

Leonsito

Seems like Ubi sent an email that was intended to show after the Nintendo conf. they list 9 games for launch/first half of 2013, they asked to not post the list in a later email, but Rayman and ZombieU are two of them.

Seems like Ubi sent an email that was intended to show after the Nintendo conf. they list 9 games for launch/first half of 2013, they asked to not post the list in a later email, but Rayman and ZombieU are two of them.
And the rest...?

Edit: Or it wasn't a Wii U specific list I guess?
Yet no Splinter Cell or Watch Dogs announced.
Yeah would have been cool to have those too. Maybe the sequels one day. Both could benefit from uPad features in some way.

Mafro

Yeah would have been cool to have those too. Maybe the sequels one day. Both could benefit from uPad features in some way.
I reckon we'll see Splinter Cell at some point, since Ubi have never shied away from porting them over (Conviction aside, for obvious reasons).

antonz

Hmm that means they have 1 more title that they will announce at the Nintendo event because they have only shown 8 so far

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I really want to see Watch Dogs on Wii U. Hopefully they kept that as a surprise for the Nintendo conference. *crosses finger*

If not, well i still got a gaming PC at least. But having that game on Wii U will show that Ubisoft is taking the console seriously, especially if that ZombiU game do not deliver.

beje

Banned
When in doubt, port beg.

Anyway, I hope the d-pad placement on the Classic Controller is comfortable if Rayman Legends is really a Wii exclusive.

You can also play with sideways Wiimotes.

So far its disappeared. Ubisoft gave a general title card of 8 titles coming to the Wii U and it was gone.

So strange, taking into account it was completely playable last year. Maybe Nintendo don't want F2P games so soon in the console's life?

Leonsito

And the rest...?

Edit: Or it wasn't a Wii U specific list I guess?

They asked not to post the rest, because the email should have been sent one hour after the conference, but is a bit boring list, two dance games, two sport games...

Hmm that means they have 1 more title that they will announce at the Nintendo event because they have only shown 8 so far

What eight?

Btw, Watch Dogs is not one of them.

I reckon we'll see Splinter Cell at some point, since Ubi have never shied away from porting them over (Conviction aside, for obvious reasons).
True. I also just checked the stockmarkets and nintendo is very slightly up over the past few days, microsoft and sony down, ea down, ubisoft up almost 4% today which means people are paying attention. They could be up by a lot if the next few days prove to give them even more positive buzz. Are any of their games playable on the floor?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So far its disappeared. Ubisoft gave a general title card of 8 titles coming to the Wii U and it was gone.

that's really strange. it was completely playable last year, and seemed to be one of the more advance works on the wii u.
looking at KF-Zombi, probably Ghost Recon became YourShape...

antonz

They asked not to post the rest, because the email should have been sent one hour after the conference, but is a bit boring list, two dance games, two sport games...

What eight?

Btw, Watch Dogs is not one of them.

ZombiU
Rabbids Land
Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2013
Sports Connection
Rayman
Just dance 4
Avengers
Assassins Creed 3

Leonsito

ZombiU
Rabbids Land
Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2013
Sports Connection
Rayman
Just dance 4
Avengers
Assassins Creed 3

Yeah, that's the list I saw, they listed one more game, another Just Dance, Just Dance: Disney Party, but I'm not sure if it's for Wii or Wiiu...

Sianos

The moment when it dawned on me that ZombiU was that same game with TODD THE NON-ZOMBIE-KILLING ZOMBIE KILLER and OCTOG123 I laughed so hard.

Bravo to Nintendo for that preshow, I had a feeling the Zombie game was real.

mechanically speaking, there's nothing i saw in the gameplay demonstration that wii, move, or vita couldn't replicate. i imagine wii is out because of wiiu seniority/ horsepower but the cursor based nature of the control of the little fly guy almost implies that other platforms are being considered.

id put money on a vita version at minimum. we've seen far too many "exclusives" turn out to be not very exclusive this gen. either they just straight up release, or they get a subtitle change and a release on technicality.

Top Bottom