• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A look on Wii U Netflix: Gamepad destined to be your best movie companion ?

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
We know from the Nintendo E3 conference (and even before) that the Wii U will feature a lot of services, including video streaming platforms.

Here's some pictures of Netflix on the system:

EGSNL.jpg

oTsVV.jpg

source (with some words of Shawn Norris from project development NOA)

And a video demonstrating this service

As you see, it's possible to switch between the movie being displayed on the main screen with informations + remote control on the Gamepad, or the other way around.

The prospect to watch a film comfortably in the couch on the controller screen (freeing up the television for other purposes in the process), or have an easy access to descriptions & other data on it while looking at the TV is really cool, what do you think ? What kind of other implementations, usage, beside gaming, you would imagine fitting well with this setting (TV + Gamepad screen) for your daily entertainment ?

I don't know I don't get the idea of reading things while watching a tv show, maybe with live sports where you see up to the min stats (which you can already do on phones anyways) switching between the two is cool I guess

Glass Joe

I think I never use the service on 3DS / iPhone because it drains the batteries mad quick. Pretty much will be the same deal with Wii U. Nice to have access to my queue and maybe occasionally for novelty, but streaming to a smaller device when I have my nice TV available means it won't be an often used feature for me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This was also demoed with Smartglass (w/ Live Marketplace, admittedly) .
Yeah, MS really stole the thunder with SmartGlass when it comes to all these additive features a tablet can provide. I have no doubt they had stuff like Netflix in mind when it came to the implementation.

Hiltz

I can finally play games and watch movies on the couch while my mom can get her daily dose of fucking Doctor Phil. Now we just need to know how far away we can use the GamePad from the console box so I can get out of the room entirely!

Somnid

Essentially it's a much more cost-effective, main stream version of Smart Glass. This sort of functionality also goes really well with the universal remote control functionality. All of this should make Wii U one of the best set-top boxes.

One thing I'd like to see is instant buttons for Netflix/Hulu/Amazon in the remote interface.

Ceebs

I would think the benefit of this would be the touchscreen interface instead of having to deal with clunky on screen menus you navigate with a controller or wiimote.

M3d10n

I would think the benefit of this would be the touchscreen interface instead of having to deal with clunky on screen menus you navigate with a controller or wiimote.

You can also browse something to watch next without interrupting what's currently playing. Good for when you're watching stuff with other people.

How would smart glass be better than this exactly?

I already have a Netflix app on My iPad. If i'm watching Netflix on my 360 and want to switch to the iPad, I can do that instantly, no Smartglass required.

Great, I really want to see a movie alone, on a little screen, at home.

It's great for when you're lying in bed.

I use Netflix on my HP TouchPad in bed sometimes, and it's awesome. However, it's pretty big and heavy, and can probably impale me if I accidentally drop it whilst laying on my back. The Wii U pad is supposedly very light and smaller, better for that kind of thing.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I think the benefit of this is the ability to watch a movie /show on the pad while someone else might want to watch live programming on the TV.

Everyone can already do this though if you own a laptop computer or tablet.

"I'm watching Netflix on my TV and browsing the internet/wikipedia for information about the show I'm watching on the tablet/laptop".

or

"I'm watching Netflix on the tablet/laptop while in the same room as someone who is doing something on the TV... like my daughter watching My Little Pony".

Either way, this doesn't solve any problems that are already solved by something you already have that plays Netflix... or just going to another room in your house with a TV.

This was mentioned on the Bombcast I think, Nintendo is designing this tablet to have TV features assuming that you don't have another TV in the house... or any other portable electronic device for that matter. I'm going to go on a wild guess that if you're buying a new $300~ console you probably have two TVs in your house. The functions of using this in games is another story, but they're "wasting" (not really) their time giving this thing fucntionality that tablets/phones/computers already have and you probably already own.

The only question is are you going to enjoy using your WiiUTablet for Facebook, Netflix, etc. better than using your laptop/tablet/cell phone/Vita, etc?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I wonder how far you can have the uPad away from the console? It would be great to be able to lie in bed watching a movie or playing a game.

Someone who doesn't have a computer/notebook/tablet then ?

Yup.

There are plenty of those people.
That's really freaking worthless, especially if you own a tablet or laptop computer.

"I'm watching Netflix on my TV and browsing the internet/wikipedia for information about the show I'm watching on the tablet/laptop".

or

"I'm watching Netflix on the tablet/laptop while in the same room as someone who is doing something on the TV... like my daughter watching My Little Pony".

Either way, this doesn't solve any problems that are already solved by something you already have that plays Netflix... or just going to another room in your house with a TV.

This was mentioned on the Bombcast I think, Nintendo is designing this tablet to have TV features assuming that you don't have another TV in the house... or any other portable electronic device for that matter. I'm going to go on a wild guess that if you're buying a new $300~ console you probably have two TVs in your house. The functions of using this in games is another story, but they're "wasting" (not really) their time giving this thing fucntionality that tablets/phones/computers already have and you probably already own.

Good thing the Wii U plays games too.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I'll be pretty happy if I can play a game on the tablet while watching Netflix on the TV, but I don't really expect that level of multitasking.

Expect it, as explained in the Wii U speculation threads, the Wii U is tailored for multi-tasking (in terms of memory reserved for the system features, the OS, etc. + functions documented and that third-parties are aware of).

rpmurphy

The Netflix app totally needs Miiverse integration.

Expect it, as explained in the Wii U speculation threads, the Wii U is tailored for multi-tasking (in terms of memory reserved for the system features, the OS, etc. + functions documented and that third-parties are aware of).
Will it be the case where the software will be suspended while you press home to visit an app, or do you know if the OS will be able to support both to be running simultaneously?

Sydle

I already have a Netflix app on My iPad. If i'm watching Netflix on my 360 and want to switch to the iPad, I can do that instantly, no Smartglass required.

The SmartGlass demo was for Xbox movies, games, and music. I don't recall SmartGlass being demoed for Netflix specifically. Maybe it's just a companion for any content being streamed via Xbox...I'd have to watch it again.

Also, SmartGlass is an app that works on Windows (8?) devices and will be around long after Wii U and its controller are gone.

Does the Wii have any video service for Europe? I know in the UK we have an BBC iPlayer channel and Eurosport on 3DS. The UK version of Netflix 'LoveFilm' is already on 360 and PS3 so I imagine it will be on Wii U too.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
The Netflix app totally needs Miiverse integration.

This is the kind of speculation i hoped to see while creating the thread.

Imagine tagging a sequence of your favorite movie, and sharing it through Miiverse, your contacts could directly access what you annotated, like "hey, this is a hot penguin nudity scene !" "this is clearly an easter egg referring to Tajikistan food !!!" "this guy playing a third-tier role, here ! He looks familiar, where did i've seen him already ?" with the subsequent answers, sometimes just for the lulz, or informative (for the latter example) :)

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Or if your TV is in another than your bed and you want to watch a movie in bed. TBH, does anyone not have a TV in their room these days?

I don't, it's too much of a distraction. Though I do have a laptop, I still have to have everything off before I can get some sleep. Plus it encourages a more unified family area if less rooms have a television.

Levyne

Banned
Watching a movie is bed is probably how I'd use it...though I could just use a tablet for that...nor do I watch movies much at all..

I think I never use the service on 3DS / iPhone because it drains the batteries mad quick. Pretty much will be the same deal with Wii U. Nice to have access to my queue and maybe occasionally for novelty, but streaming to a smaller device when I have my nice TV available means it won't be an often used feature for me.

Agreed, with Netflix you have to be near an internet connection and in that case, you may as well watch it on the TV.

ReBurn

Gold Member

I was just thinking this. Press stop on one device, press play on the other device.

It is a cool feature for WiiU. Would be better with a higher res display.

Cipherr

Good thing the Wii U plays games too.

Really shocking how this needs to be repeated in these threads...

Smartglass probably does and will do it better, but this is just an App on a console that you buy for the games, NOT netflix. How is this not understood?

Smartglass video

Are you going to post a Youtube of someone browsing the web in Firefox on a PC when the WiiU web browser is shown?

Bumhead

Banned
Everyone can already do this though if you own a laptop computer or tablet.

or

The only question is are you going to enjoy using your WiiUTablet for Facebook, Netflix, etc. better than using your laptop/tablet/cell phone/Vita, etc?

This is all fine and everything, but if Nintendo had released a system in 2012 that didn't support media streaming, browsers and social media integration, they'd have received an absolute shit ton of bitching and moaning about "same old out of touch Nintendo" and whatever.

Whether you use this stuff is irrelevant. The fact it's there is generally good news for those that will use it. I would never have thought Netflix would be so popular on Wii but apparently it is.

Top Bottom