• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A look on Wii U Netflix: Gamepad destined to be your best movie companion ?

Yes we haven't seen anything about how it learns IR commands, though no one has been arguing that point. What we have seen however ...

wii-u-tv-remote-640x360.jpg

... shows that at this point there is only a single page of basic controls. No indication of deeper functionality, and no indication of it working with multiple components.

Except for the button that says "Close TV Remote" which is different from "Play Wii U"...which suggests that closing the remote display other information or functions that aren't simply console related

Raistlin

I watched Tested.com's video on SmartGlass and the MS rep made it clear the burden was on their "content partners" to generate that data. I just don't see Netflix or HBO going through every single movie and episode in their library to add scene by scene metadata just for this application. Even the Game of Thrones thing draws from a previously existing official iOS App for the show. Like I said, newer stuff and nerd tent-poles may receive that treatment, but the vast majority of stuff you might watch is just going to have basic IMDB info.
Oh I get that. I'd have to check but I think Netflix already has some content available on their site - but yeah I can't see them doing more than a single page for a title or episode. Certainly not realtime stuff unless this gains serious traction.

For HBO stuff, I'd expect them to simply port their content from their site/app. To be honest, I bet they'd be more than happy to move it off their plate. Why bother maintaining the app and site when they can simply provide the content to someone else's framework.

Except for the button that says "Close TV Remote" which is different from "Play Wii U"...which suggests that closing the remote display other information or functions that aren't simply console related
Actually unless they have some really bad UI designers ... that Close TV Remote actually demonstrates my point.

From within the remote app, there would be some sort of indicator (button, whatever) to switch to another page for more screens within the remote app. They aren't however.

Again though, that doesn't mean we won't get it. This stuff is somewhat early, and I can't imagine the remote app is the highest priority right now. We'll get a better picture of things as we approach launch. Even if they do get it though, it's all about the execution.

Actually unless they have some really bad UI designers ... that Close TV Remote actually demonstrates my point.

From within the remote app, there would be some sort of indicator (button, whatever) to switch to another page for more screens within the remote app. They aren't however.

Again though, that doesn't mean we won't get it. This stuff is somewhat early, and I can't imagine the remote app is the highest priority right now. We'll get a better picture of things as we approach launch. Even if they do get it though, it's all about the execution.

Why would switching to different devices simply be switching to other screens (unless you mean more TV functionality)? In no app interface is this the case...so I'm not really sure about your point. It would make more sense from a UI standpoint to close back to an app menu screen (much like the 3DS menu) to switch between apps for different devices.

Anyway, we can only wait and see

Raistlin

Why would switching to different devices simply be switching to other screens (unless you mean more TV functionality)?
Because the only controls available on that screen are channels, input and volume. So whether it's more TV functionality or control for a different device (receiver, etc) it would require more screens.

Have you used a remote control with a screen (Harmony with a touchscreen, a universal remote control app on a phone/tablet, etc)?

In no app interface is this the case...so I'm not really sure about your point. It would make more sense from a UI standpoint to close back to an app menu screen (much like the 3DS menu) to switch between apps for different devices.
You have GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. That is beyond awful ... to the point of unusable.

This is a 'remote control app'. You're telling me a reasonable design would be that you have to close it out and launch another app to control another device ... or better yet, to access deeper TV controls?

No offense, but that's laughable from a usability standpoint.

lednerg

lol, I don't know what you're going on about with UI pages and all that. All I'm talking about the buttons that are actually on the screen - you should be able to use any device you need to for those functions.

You have GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. That is beyond awful ... to the point of unusable.

This is a 'remote control app'. You're telling me a reasonable design would be that you have to close it out and launch another app to control another device ... or better yet, to access deeper TV controls?

No offense, but that's laughable from a usability standpoint.

Are arbitrarily scrolling through pages to go to each device is better? I'm saying if there are other devices, you would click the "Close TV Remote" button, be at a menu with other devices you've added and click one of them to open that remotes interface. It could be all within 1 Remote App, not necessarily separate apps but your scrolling suggestion makes no sense. In computer science what I'd be describing would be the equivalent of constant time selection and yours would be linear time. It'd be slower

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Nice video. But i wish it could show the movie both in the TV and in the gamepad simultaneously

Why? I dont know. But it seems nice.

Actually, it's could be useful, think of a family seeing a movie on the TV while the mum/father is cooking 15 meters away, the main display behind its back, and only following by hearing the dialogs/music. Put the Gamepad in the kitchen, on its stand, and tada, problem solved :p

Raistlin

lol, I don't know what you're going on about with UI pages and all that. All I'm talking about the buttons that are actually on the screen - you should be able to use any device you need to for those functions.

Are arbitrarily scrolling through pages to go to each device is better? I'm saying if there are other devices, you would click the "Close TV Remote" button, be at a menu with other devices you've added and click one of them to open that remotes interface. It could be all within 1 Remote App, not necessarily separate apps but your scrolling suggestion makes no sense. In computer science what I'd be describing would be the equivalent of constant time selection and yours would be linear time. It'd be slower
Serious question ...

Have either of you regularly used a touch screen universal remote (Harmony, URC, Pronto, etc) or a decent phone/tablet app (RedEye, whatever).

I'm trying to get a feel where you're coming from.

lednerg

Serious question ...

Have either of you regularly used a touch screen universal remote (Harmony, URC, Pronto, etc) or a decent phone/tablet app (RedEye, whatever).

I'm trying to get a feel where you're coming from.

If you assumed that I meant the Gamepad is a Harmony remote, then you're wrong. That's an interesting possibility and all, but I doubt it highly.

Raistlin

If you assumed that I meant the Gamepad is a Harmony remote, then you're wrong. That's an interesting possibility and all, but I doubt it highly.
Actually I'm not assuming anything, and that's why I ask. What exactly are you expecting it to have in terms of features? And how does it fit within what's shown on that picture?

Everyone is talking about 'universal remote control', but I think we need to explain just what that means from their perspective. As it stands, expectations for what a universal remote entails seem pretty ambiguous.

lednerg

Actually I'm not assuming anything, and that's why I ask. What exactly are you expecting it to have in terms of features? And how does it fit withing what's shown on that picture?

Everyone is talking about 'universal remote control', but I think we need to explain just what that means from their perspective. Expectations for a universal remote entails seem pretty ambiguous at this point.

I'm expecting we'll be able to assign the number pad, channel, volume, input, and power buttons to whatever devices we have. Nintendo does beta test their software, and they are aware that people have cable/satellite boxes, DVRs, audio receivers, etc. in all sorts of different combinations. I happen to think the easiest way to go about it would be through IR learning, where it simply prompts you for each button.

EDIT: Also, keep in mind, that remote screen isn't necessarily what the final will look like. In fact, we already know the Gamepad itself isn't in it's final retail form - Reggie says the charge port will be moved to the bottom.

Raistlin

I'm expecting we'll be able to assign the number pad, channel, volume, input, and power buttons to whatever devices we have. Nintendo does beta test their software, and they are aware that people have cable/satellite boxes, DVRs, audio receivers, etc. in all sorts of different combinations. I happen to think the easiest way to go about it would be through IR learning, where it simply prompts you for each button.
Actually if you look at the power button, it and the input button are surrounded by chrome that states 'TV'. But let's disregard that for a moment.

Earlier we were discussing how one would actually program this for their remotes. You mentioned as a possibility direct (archaic) IR learning. While I hate that in general, if what's been shown is the extent of the commands available it will work fine since it's so few in number.

But that's the problem. If this is all there is it's useless as a universal remote. While not everyone needs to go into all their settings or have a ton of intermediary devices (switchers, processors, etc), there are some deeper commands that many people use pretty regularly. Stuff like toggling game mode on their TV, changing surround/stereo modes on their receiver, etc.

Based on what's shown you won't even be able to switch between TV and receiver volume (a pretty common use-case ... many people don't always use their stereo). Hell this doesn't even show the ability to turn on a receiver. So even for most people with a relatively simple setup, this doesn't look useful (at least yet).

While I wouldn't expect things to be feature complete (or even working) at this stage, typically you would at least see some placeholders in the UI mockup for the extended functionality I'm talking about. Either device names, next/back/whatever to go to other command screens ... something. The fact that isn't there at all is what raises some concern as a SW engineer.

EDIT: Also, keep in mind, that remote screen isn't necessarily what the final will look like. In fact, we already know the Gamepad itself isn't in it's final retail form - Reggie says the charge port will be moved to the bottom.
Yes certainly. And I really hope it does improve. I'm simply saying that based on what's been shown thus far, it's only going to be useful for a tiny percentage of people. Basically at best people will be able to use it for repeat situations where they're essentially doing the same thing as the last time they operated the TV and console. Once you deviate though, it's hosed. In other words you'll need to keep all your remotes within arm length anyway.

From my understanding the HW involved in this was already going to be there for other uses. Well at least the Rx would be. I'm not sure stuff like the balance board has two-way communication (which would require a Tx), but it's very likely the cost is essentially the same for a two-way versus a one-way.

In other words, it doesn't look like they are paying extra money to have this capability there ... which brings into question just how invested they are in actually getting capable functionality. As it stands, it looks to simply be a 'because we can' feature. And if things don't change, it will not be useful for most people.

Top Bottom