• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA deny neglecting Wii U and 'hold fire' on 2 unannounced titles. You can relax !

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
A reassuring interview of EA's Frank Gibeau, for those who doubted the company support of Wii U (whereas we know there are ME3 and their sports franchises planned), announcing the reveal of at least two additional games this summer on the system, talking about an unprecedented partnership, explanations of their discretion in regard to the console this E3, their opinion on the Gamepad and some details on ME3.

Electronic Arts is preparing to announce at least two other Wii U projects currently in development, a key executive at the publisher has told CVG.

EA Labels President Frank Gibeau EA Labels President Frank Gibeau
Off the back of last week's E3 press conferences when Electronic Arts revealed just a single Wii U project - Mass Effect 3 - the publisher's games label president Frank Gibeau has rebutted claims of neglecting the new console.

"We've got a couple of more games in development for Wii U and we'll have a bigger line-up for Wii U than we did on the Wii," he said.

"It is the first next-generation platform coming out so we're really supporting it.

"Just looking at E3 and where we're at, we wanted to hold our fire a little bit on a couple of the other games that we're working on. We'll have more announcements this summer on the rest of the Wii U line-up."

At E3 2011, EA chief executive John Riccitiello said that his company was embarking on "an unprecedented partnership" with Nintendo (video below)

Riccitiello described the Wii U tablet controller as "transformational". While Gibeau did not echo words to that effect, he told CVG that the publisher will "do some new, unique things with it on the Wii U controller and the second screen that we're innovating on".

"You'll hear more later this summer," he said.

Mass Effect's Second Screen

Though Mass Effect 3 was the only EA game announced for Wii U, the response at E3 was particularly positive.

Gibeau insisted that the project would not be a basic port.

"We'll do some new, unique things with it on the Wii U controller and the second screen that we're innovating on," he said.

"You'll hear more later this summer."

source

Reassuring for some i guess that EA is considering the Wii U as a real next-gen system :p About this partnership, what could it be, Origin on Wii U ? It's also intriguing that it seems several games announcements are kept for this summer. Combined with the quasi-absence of Wii U online services this E3 (and as i said in the speculation threads, third-parties were left in a vague state about the OS, the online, the dashboard, until recently), it could point toward a presentation of this part of the system before the fall.
And their promises of a ME3 version taking advantage of the console features are interesting.

About the titles to be disclosed, a proper reveal of Madden ? A Battlefield ? MOH warfighter ? What's your take, what you wish to see from EA on Wii U ?

Me ? I want Wing Commander Wii U ! (a man can dream) Sim City ! C&C Generals 2 !

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
NHL 13 and I'm in.

stuminus3

Banned
My wife really badly wants another MySims game in the vein of the original/Kingdoms/Agents. Get on it, EA.

As for me, I can't think of anything I'd personally want from EA that I wouldn't prefer/can't get on PC, but good news for Nintendo fans I guess.

EDarkness

"an unprecedented partnership"?

Origin on Wii U confirmed.

I said in another thread that I think EA and Nintendo (and any other online partner) are holding out until later to detail their online business. So I would guess that people can expect some form of Origin on the Wii U. Not sure how I feel about this, but I guess it depends on the details. Apparently whatever they're planning is big. All the reps I spoke to kept saying "wait until summer."

Woffls

Want: SimCity
Expecting: Need for Speed with a rear-view mirror and whichever shooter they're doing this year. Or sports games. Did they already announce sports games? Sports are great, man. SPORTS.

Gaborn

This is JUST a guess but I wonder if one of the reasons EA is holding off showing the titles (Madden Wii U for example) is because they want to have the 2 tablets working with it when they show it off. Nintendo announced the Wii U would support 2 game pads but they didn't show any games with that capability, so maybe they only got it working recently. That might explain the delay in showing it.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I don't think Madden is going to be one the summer announcements. Peter Moore hinted pretty heavily it would not be out this year.

Probably FIFA and something else.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I might actually double dip on ME3. Probably sub-$30 though.

Maybe i will too, I still havent played as Obama Shepard in ME3, i might try to do it with the Wii U version if the "innovative" fonctions are interesting enough and if its not sold at full price.

If Javik is not included, well too bad for him, i wont pay for him twice, as much as i like the guy.

beje

Banned
If Origin comes as something mandatory, Nintendo really can kiss my money goodbye. I don't trust EA at all with anything regarding my CC or personal info, much less believe they won't try to take DD games away from me like they actually attempted with Rock Band on iOS.

Goes without saying they're the main pushers of online passes and use to close P2P matchmaking servers as soon as 18 months after the release of their games. No way I want to support that with my money.

Linkhero1

Actions speak louder than words.

If Origin comes as something mandatory, Nintendo really can kiss my money goodbye. I don't trust EA at all with anything regarding my CC or personal info, much less believe they won't try to take DD games away from me like they actually attempted with Rock Band on iOS.

Goes without saying they're the main pushers of online passes and use to close P2P matchmaking servers as soon as 18 months after the release of their games. No way I want to support that with my money.

Same

GAF to commit mass suicide confirmed.
Nintendo's E3 conference already took care of that.

Yeah... Origin would just help me move on from Nintendo. Sony games aren't nearly as good as first party Nintendo, but that's how things go.

I can't believe I just said that.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
The unprecedented blah blah crap was from last E3. I tend to think whatever they were talking about fell apart.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
If it is only two games: Madden and FIFA. Think there was a Most Wanted WiiU SKU too, but I don't know if that is a thing still.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'm honestly wondering if these publishers are seriously giving every platform proper consideration or if they're just gonna look at launch port sales, some of them already outdated and forgotten about even by fans, and then give up on it.

Wasn't EA one of the publishers that supposedly Nintendo worked closely with when developing the online stuff and what not?

I mean, it's understandable if they want to wait for the platform to actually be bought by a meaningful amount of people before releasing more games on it, just as many 3DS titles got delayed because of the initially slow sales, but they weren't cancelled, and it wouldn't hurt to actually announce a few things they plan for its future here and there.

For that matter, will this inevitably mediocre compared to existing platforms sales result also bring another wave of Nintendo-is-failing-to-deliver articles or will game journos employ common sense for once?

This hush hush status of matters between EA and Nintendo only can have two outcome:

Either something 'really' big, or nothing; judging from them porting ME out of blue to the Wii U, I suspect it's something big and has got to do with their sport titles and services; along the lines of Origin, or F2P Fifa, etc.

---
I too really want Sim City on Wii; but I think the chances are below 10%.

Top Bottom