• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA deny neglecting Wii U and 'hold fire' on 2 unannounced titles. You can relax !

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Good, can't wait for WiiU launch - finally a Nintendo HD console; I hope EA and co. will support it strong after launch.

AzaK

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I really like Nintendo's and it's partners new approach to gaming-announcments.

I HATE announcments for games that are too far away. Especially in a time where fucking trailers get trailers (teasers), it awesome to see developers going for another route.

6 month prior to release should be the maximum any company is allowed.

I don't really like announcements too far out either, but the thing I have a problem with is what they DID show. If that's it, OW. But of course, with this new EA news things might pick up.

I'm secretly hoping that there are a lot of other games just waiting for an announcement. Especially things like Tomb Raider etc. It REALLY has to have Tomb Raider....please!!!!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It looks like EA was talking about its sports titles.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...3232/E3-2012-Patrick-Soderlund-interview.html
Patrick Söderlund, Executive Vice President of the EA Games label
Patrick Söderlund said:
EA are supporting the Wii U, we have Mass Effect and we're working on the sports titles. Then we'll look at Wii U as any other platform, we'll look at viability versus performance of the market and if it makes sense for us to be on the WiiU, we'll be on the Wii U, of course.

You have to respect and admire Nintendo, they are an interesting company and they will do things people don't expect them to do. We played something as simple as the Animal Crossing game, it was extremely simplistic game design, but it was so much fun. And I think that's Nintendo, it's simplicity coupled with social gameplay and fun. I thought it was very cool, and it was very Nintendo, as a gamer myself it made me a little pumped and I want to go and play more.

marc^o^

haha

games available everywhere
FIFA and Madden are the 2 of most important brands on the market. If EA manages to use GamePad correctly and thus have Wii U the best console to play these games, it wouldn't be insignificant support. I have high hopes for sports games and Wii U, because even with minimum efforts you can drastically enhance AI reactions (ie drawing calls in Madden, or selecting formations and tactics in real time in Fifa).

DrWong

Would be great for Nintendo if true..
The same guy also has Wii in his profile, but obviously doesn't mean they will release the game on Wii.

It is quite probable that they have hands-on experience with the device, but that doesn't mean the game will be released.

Plus, I wonder how racings will work without analog triggers...

Kafel

Banned
FIFA and Madden are the 2 of most important brands on the market. If EA manages to use GamePad correctly and thus have Wii U the best console to play these games, it wouldn't be insignificant support. I have high hopes for sports games and Wii U, because even with minimum efforts you can drastically enhance AI reactions (ie drawing calls in Madden, or selecting formations and tactics in real time in Fifa).

Sure, but you forget Nintendo releases Sports games as well so EA/2K won't bother much.

marc^o^

Sure, but you forget Nintendo releases Sports games as well so EA/2K won't bother much.
I think I understand what you are trying to say, but there is no Nintendo sports game at launch, and I don't think EA or 2K are seeing Nintendo a major competitor vs their franchises.

AzaK

So Nintendo is going to have a stream of announcements up to launch?
Doesn't sound too bad a plan.

Who the fuck knows. Based on their awesome track record so far with anything Wii U, they'll probably forget to market it, then rush an ad campaign attempting to sell it as a cheeseboard.

Shit I hope EA's support is more than two sports games I don't care about and an old port of part three in a trilogy.

m.i.s.

Banned
I don't really like announcements too far out either, but the thing I have a problem with is what they DID show. If that's it, OW. But of course, with this new EA news things might pick up.

I'm secretly hoping that there are a lot of other games just waiting for an announcement. Especially things like Tomb Raider etc. It REALLY has to have Tomb Raider....please!!!!

For casual games, announcing a game shortly before release is no bad thing because casual consumers don't follow gaming news. But for gamers games, surely it's better for Nintendo to announce what they're working on and get enthusiasts talking and discussing their product? Otherwise, gamers will just speculate wildly on what may or may not be coming in the future.

Unless, of-course, it's so early that they have nothing to show.

AzaK

For casual games, announcing a game shortly before release is no bad thing because casual consumers don't follow gaming news. But for gamers games, surely it's better for Nintendo to announce what they're working on and get enthusiasts talking and discussing their product? Otherwise, gamers will just speculate wildly on what may or may not be coming in the future.

Unless, of-course, it's so early that they have nothing to show.[/QUOTE]

That's my concern. That they actually don't have all these great upcoming western titles like Tomb Raider, Bioshock etc. If they have, I don't give a fuck if it's only as good as current HD. I also thought that E3 was the perfect time to get your core audience excited but nothing came, making me once again wonder if they have nothing decent on the horizon.

Busty

Banned
Yeah coz Nintendo fans buy Nintendo consoles for shovelware and not....Nintendo games. Not to mention the Wii-U's lineup doesn't have any shovelware so far, late ports sure, but not shovelware.

Prepare to be disappointed.

It's a bit like that for sure. Sort of like how MS released a broken console but people kept going back again and again and again when it died.

I'd agree with this. In a lot of respects that was one of the worst things I've ever seen in gaming. From both sides of the 'equation'.

Yagharek

I hope the "better support than Wii" means traditional games and not casual stuff like most of Ubisoft's announced games.

I hope it doesnt mean all the usual EA stuff. I dont want just dead space/me3/bf3 etc. I want new games, new ideas and anything that isnt patronising to either core or non-core gamers.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I hope in EA's quality support on the Wii U.
They did great job with Dead Space, Mass Effect, Mirrors Edge but also with HD version of Fifa, for example.
I hope they can look at the Wii U as Ubisoft is doing, porting some "core effort to the platform, alongside good casual products (as Rayman, Rabbids, Just dance - I hate it but it's fun... - and Zombi U are able to cover many different demographics)

fallingdove

Out of curiosity, did you own a Dreamcast, and if so, did you use the VMU display to select formations/plays/tactics when playing games?

In sports games, it was kind of just a novelty - and for me, wasn't all that compelling after the initial magic wore off.

marc^o^

Out of curiosity, did you own a Dreamcast, and if so, did you use the VMU display to select formations/plays/tactics when playing games?

In sports games, it was kind of just a novelty - and for me, wasn't all that compelling after the initial magic wore off.
Dreamcast was my favorite console ever, and though I have found memories of NBA 2K played through VGA on my PC screen, I don't recall using VMU at all.

But in soccer games, I'm always using formation/tactic changes during the course of a match. Nothing is more irritating than to have to pause the game to apply changes, in online games it can be really painful. In most soccer titles we can select 4 tactics through the dpad, but it's still is a limitation... whereas it's such an important element. I wouldn't see it as just a novelty at all, if the GamePad was used to select among all tactics/formations in real time. That would be a bare minimum.

C.T.

EA are supporting the Wii U, we have Mass Effect and we're working on the sports titles. Then we'll look at Wii U as any other platform, we'll look at viability versus performance of the market and if it makes sense for us to be on the WiiU, we'll be on the Wii U, of course.

I hate that shit. You know how I read it? As: based on our preconceptions. Someone should ask this: "Aren't you afraid to lose your potential market share on the WiiU like you did on Wii?" (example: Madden)

If they do port over games, hopefully they price them right.
Good ports would be SSX. Boom Blox in HD.
A Burnout collection,a Dead Space 1 & 2 collection each with all of the DLC content,etc....
If they can release those in the $30-$40 range then i think they could have success but if they get greedy and go with the $50-$60 range, then they're in trouble.

Top Bottom